Page 102 of 156 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 3105

Doc Rivers

Austin's father is the excellent coach of the Celtics. My guess is that he would want Austin to go to a school with a great reputation where he knows that coach will look out for the best interests of his son. Clearly Duke a top notch program with a coach that fits that bill. I think the father will have some influence on Austin and I hope he feels the same way about the Duke program.

I love the way Doc coaches. He had me rooting for the Celtics for the first time since they had the original "Hondo". It would be great to see him take time off in 2011-2012 to watch his son in Cameron with the Crazies going nuts when he drains another three.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    closer to the vest.
    can we ban this phrase from dbr forever?
    1200. DDMF.

I believe Rivers is distancing himself from Duke. Read that ANY WAY you want to.

(Sorry, Roy White)
    Last edited by WiJoe; 07-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    I believe his is distancing himself from Duke. Read that ANY WAY you want to.
    Well, it would help if I knew what it meant.

his is distancing himself?? and who is "his"?

Could you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    I believe Rivers is distancing himself from Duke. Read that ANY WAY you want to.

(Sorry, Roy White)
    Like RoyWhite said, would please clarify your opinion that Austin is distancing himself from Duke? I would like to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Like RoyWhite said, would please clarify your opinion that Austin is distancing himself from Duke? I would like to hear this.
    Do you really care? He's just another guy who knows nothing about this other than what we can all read on the interwebs. More baseless speculation...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Do you really care? He's just another guy who knows nothing about this other than what we can all read on the interwebs. More baseless speculation...
    You're right, I just thought it'd be interesting to hear the basis for his opinion in which he is in the minority.

You're right, I just thought it'd be interesting to hear the basis for his opinion in which he is in the minority.
    Why is baseless speculation interesting to you? Go for a run or something if you need something to do...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Why is baseless speculation interesting to you? Go for a run or something if you need something to do...
    Good idea, you wanna join me? We'll do lunch.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Good idea, you wanna join me? We'll do lunch.
    It'll be a long run. You're 3,000 miles apart.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    It'll be a long run. You're 3,000 miles apart.
    A journey of 3,000 miles begins with a single step . . . .

(Then a heck of a lot more).

Stay confident everyone....

Yes, Austin could decide to go somewhere other than Duke; and it could be UNC for all the same reasons he could choose Duke. Saying that, I think we need to stay confident in where we stand with Austin at this point. Some people keep mentioning HB as a reason for caution....Fine, but please let it go once and for all; and let's move on to the next play. HB has gotten into many of our heads and we need to get him out. It's like we need to do an exorcism to get HB out of our system.

Call me biased, but I'm not ready to concede that Ol Roy is a better recruiter than Coach K. Roy has earned his fair share of recruits (some over us) and he's lost his fair share (Devon Roe, RK, KS, etc.); and Coach K has won (over Roy) and lost his fair share of recruits. We shouldn't get too overly worried about a recruit listing UNC as a possible destination, no matter what the circumstances are. I would imagine that if any of our TarHeel-supporting readers read this thread, they would would be laughing at us and enjoying our concern over the possibility of Austin going to UNC; and it would further feed their belief that Roy and UNC have a recruiting edge over. Let's not feed into that.

Doc Rivers

Speaking of Doc Rivers, he was one heck of a player. He played for Proviso East High School in suburban Chicago. If I remember correctly, he was a year behind Isaiah Thomas who played for St. Joseph High School in Westchester(which figured prominently in the movie Hoop Dreams). High school basketball did not get the same exposure in those days, but the basketball junkies in Chicago debated who was the better point guard, Isaiah or Doc.

It's difficult to know how much influence Doc has on Austin or whether Doc favors Duke. You would have to think that Doc knows and respects Coach K and, hopefully, that plays some role in the young man's decision.

This article simply reinforces to me what I've been saying for a while now:

Don't count those chickens...

I'm not saying I think Austin isn't still a Duke lean. I've got to believe he is, but I'm also not one that thinks this is "in the bag" by any stretch at all. What really bothers me most is that it honestly looks to me like it's going to come down to us and Hell. If the recruit that shall not be named, and his situation, had happened a few years ago and the sting wasn't still a little fresh, I'd feel better. But just the thought of potentially losing out in consecutive years to UNC - for players we were clearly leading in - is a bit much for me to think about. Yeah, I can ease the pain by thinking about the hardware won just a few months ago, and also thinking about the great chance we should have this coming year. But darned if this type of situation still doesn't pull me down.

Glass half full guy. I admit it.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    can we ban this phrase from dbr forever?
    i support it

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Speaking of Doc Rivers, he was one heck of a player. He played for Proviso East High School in suburban Chicago. If I remember correctly, he was a year behind Isaiah Thomas who played for St. Joseph High School in Westchester(which figured prominently in the movie Hoop Dreams). High school basketball did not get the same exposure in those days, but the basketball junkies in Chicago debated who was the better point guard, Isaiah or Doc.

It's difficult to know how much influence Doc has on Austin or whether Doc favors Duke. You would have to think that Doc knows and respects Coach K and, hopefully, that plays some role in the young man's decision.
    And why do you not think that Doc doesn't know and respect Roy Williams?

I am sure that the same respect that Doc Rivers has for Coach K he has for Roy Williams.

Okay, let's consider this.

Is Austin Rivers really a crucial or even important recruit for Duke?

1. He's made it pretty clear that he plans on playing college basketball for one year only.

2. Without him in the 2011-12 season, wouldn't Duke still have a strong/very strong backcourt?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay, let's consider this.

Is Austin Rivers really a crucial or even important recruit for Duke?

1. He's made it pretty clear that he plans on playing college basketball for one year only.

2. Without him in the 2011-12 season, wouldn't Duke still have a strong/very strong backcourt?
    Austin Rivers is VERY crucial recruit for Duke. We will still have a strong backcourt if we don't get him, but still Rivers takes it to a different level.

Duke will lose Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler after this year and we are likely to lose MP2 and KI. Thus, we will need the offensive firepower Rivers offers. Austin Rivers is an absolute gamebreaker. We want him regardless if it's only for a year. Plus we're recruiting against UNC here, if UNC were to land Rivers that would give them a straight nasty trio of McAdoo, PJ Hairston, and Rivers in the 2011 recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    And why do you not think that Doc doesn't know and respect Roy Williams?

I am sure that the same respect that Doc Rivers has for Coach K he has for Roy Williams.
    Not trying to be confrontational, but why on earth would you make that assumption? First, assuming Doc does have a high level of respect for Coach K (or maybe Doc has stated this somewhere), why would you make the correlation that he would then have the same level of respect for another coach? Any coach? Are you assuming that Doc would automatically have a high level of respect for any successful coach? What if Doc is smart enough to see beyond the wins and championships and base his opinion and respect for a coach on his character and leadership abilities? Would K and Roy be equals in that comparison in your eyes? Would you assume that Doc has the same level of respect for Calipari? Calhoun? Tarkanian?

Anything is possible and Doc may actually respect Roy more than K, but I am curious as to why you would automatically make that assumption?