Page 1 of 156 1231151101 ... LastLast

Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...s_rumors/28820

"I wanted to look at other schools, just to look at other campuses and see what they have," Austin Rivers told SN. "I haven't used any of my visits yet, and my father advised me to check out other schools. So out of respect for my father, I'm going to look at other schools."

Wasn't it a couple weeks ago where he stated the rumors were "full of crap"?

Gotta love recruiting.

Soooo... does this mean he is reopening his recruitment as a heavy Florida lean?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Soooo... does this mean he is reopening his recruitment as a heavy Florida lean?
    How often does a recruit "open-up" his recruitment only to go back to the originally school? Not very often.

On ESPN-U yesterday Doc said his daughter is already at UF, on a volleyball scholarship if I recall.

Announcers kept saying how Austin ws trying to recruit Brandon Knight there.

So definitely mixed messages.

Doc was funny saying Austin needs to work on his defense. He went on to say he does not think any HS kid plays defense til they get to college.

Kind of smart for Austin and Doc to pay it the way the are, ought of respect for Doc...

Whatever the Doc orders

Perhaps the best thing would be for Austin and Doc to shell out the $100 and attend the elite camp, so it is clear who made the initial move and who accepted

Then package some time with coach K on either end of August 22-23, probably after would work best.

Seeing Rivers and Beal side by side would be the best gauge on who to go after first or if it is a toss-up, whoever commits first.

Rivers mentions only Duke in schools he will visit

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...ida/#more-1525

"I don’t know which other schools I will visit yet, but I think I will visit Duke and a couple of other places, depending on what my dad wants.”
    Wonder if Dawkins could get him to visit while Irving or Barnes are here?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Wonder if Dawkins could get him to visit while Irving or Barnes are here?
    When you mention "Dawkins" in a recruiting context, it's difficult for me not to assume you mean Johnny.

I hope Andre is around long enough to pull in some big ones for us too.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    When you mention "Dawkins" in a recruiting context, it's difficult for me not to assume you mean Johnny.

I hope Andre is around long enough to pull in some big ones for us too.
    No, I definitely meant Andre Dawkins, super recruiter. I think the kid is true blue and hopefully his love for the program rubs off on Rivers, Barnes, Irving, and all the guys we already have.

thoughts

on the few occasions i have seen Rivers play, i'd have to say he is a "special player". It would be a great "get" if he decided to come to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I did the same thing. Probably the 3rd time I've done it this week.

I wonder how seriously Austin is looking at these schools or whether he's doing it just to appease his dad. Everything I read seems like "well my dad wanted me to visit other schools" and "i'll visit wherever my dad wants." This could be interesting to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I did the same thing. Probably the 3rd time I've done it this week.

I wonder how seriously Austin is looking at these schools or whether he's doing it just to appease his dad. Everything I read seems like "well my dad wanted me to visit other schools" and "i'll visit wherever my dad wants." This could be interesting to follow...
    This is all playing out rather interestingly, especially with all the recent decommits in Cousins, Henry, Leslie, and others.

Something tells me Doc's spidey-sense is feeling something special at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    This is all playing out rather interestingly, especially with all the recent decommits in Cousins, Henry, Leslie, and others.

That and maybe Doc's spidey-sense is something smelly in Florida. They have missed the tourney the past 2 years and may miss it again this year. Unless Donavan steps it up in the recruiting department 2006 and 2007 may start looking like the perfect storm rather than great coaching. Much like Gary Williams failed to capitalize on his 2002 championship, Donavan is looking like he may blow his championship clout.

He still has some time. If Boynton sticks around for a few years and some top recruits (read Rivers) join him, Florida could return to the top. But its been a tough couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Well, Austin's dad is not like most other dads when it comes to knowing a bit about what to do to make the most out of your basketball career.

Parental advice is a strong motivator anyway, but Doc carries extra clout in this department. Lets also not forget that many of these kids are not old enough to sign the LOI without the approval of mom and dad.

Still, my bet is that Austin and his father recognize the value in looking around and keeping their options open.

--Jason "as for Donovan, Cal's arrival at Kentucky is only gonna make it that much harder for him to look good in the SEC" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I was under the impression that these kinds of speculative statements about the intentions of legal minors were against the rules on this message board.

Quote Originally Posted by BoozerWasFouled View Post
    I was under the impression that these kinds of speculative statements about the intentions of legal minors were against the rules on this message board.
    Rumor mongering is against the rules. Supa's view of Doc's spidey-sense is only expressing a feeling, which is not. Besides, he's a mod, and can be trusted not to violate the rules.

If he had said, "I've heard that XXX player has decommitted from YYY University," that would be a rumor, unless there is a news article confirming it, which must be linked in support.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 08-14-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    That and maybe Doc's spidey-sense is something smelly in Florida. They have missed the tourney the past 2 years and may miss it again this year. Unless Donavan steps it up in the recruiting department 2006 and 2007 may start looking like the perfect storm rather than great coaching. Much like Gary Williams failed to capitalize on his 2002 championship, Donavan is looking like he may blow his championship clout.

He still has some time. If Boynton sticks around for a few years and some top recruits (read Rivers) join him, Florida could return to the top. But its been a tough couple of seasons.
    I'm not sure you have to be a great coach to get to the Final Four. Probably you have to be a good one who catches a few key breaks -- during the tournament, during the season, during a career.
    -Mike Krzyzewski, Last Dance

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5259143

Respectfully, it's Donovan and that's a very narrow view of Florida.
    He just landed two players, Kenny Boynton and Erik Murphy, that Duke coveted in the 2009 class. The 44 year old also took a third team to the title game in 2000, the year before Coach K led Duke to a title game. He's nowhere near as lazy as Gary Williams in recruiting. I don't think you have to worry about his job security.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, Austin's dad is not like most other dads when it comes to knowing a bit about what to do to make the most out of your basketball career.

Parental advice is a strong motivator anyway, but Doc carries extra clout in this department.
    Exactly and I'd also like to point out to you guys that this isn't unprecedented in the Rivers OWN household...

http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/05...rs-to-indiana/

Exactly and I'd also like to point out to you guys that this isn't unprecedented in the Rivers OWN household...

http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/05...rs-to-indiana/
    I didn't know about Austin's brother so I tried to look him up. I find it interesting that he wasn't ranked by either Scout or Rivals.

Jeremiah Rivers was ranked by Scout. Check the HS Class of 2006.

First thoughts...

The first thing I thought of (and delete this if I am going to far...) was that Doc Rivers wanted Austin to spend his freshman year practicing with players like Curry, Barnes, Irving (or Knight) so IF any of the 2010 class were just 2 year prospects he could step right in and be ready to run the team. Pure speculation - but that's what makes the non basketball season months go by faster...