Page 4 of 156 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Meaning, "I don't like the program or the coach."
    In related news, Doc and Kris Rivers smiled, realizing they had done some good things in rearing their children.

By the way, here's a good article (though 3 years old) about the importance of family and the close ties of the Rivers family.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...01/family_doc/

Here's an "update" with absolutely no information more recent than a month ago. I wouldn't have seen it, except it was touted on the DBR home page as an "update."

http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclas...c_players.html

I guess in the blogosphere, you get paid to do these things. Nice gig.

I love how bitter this guy is...

I can see it now, if and hopefully when Duke gets River's our hate would only just increase A WHOLE LOT.

Man that would put a smile on my face!

This article sounds great i just wonder why he doesn't ask sheldon.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._And_Duke.html

SOunds great, but can't help think about that letter someone posted, written by Elton to an angry fan after he went pro. hopefully the pejorative nature of that letter wasn't what he conveyed to Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelongdevil View Post
    SOunds great, but can't help think about that letter someone posted, written by Elton to an angry fan after he went pro. hopefully the pejorative nature of that letter wasn't what he conveyed to Doc.
    That was the first thing I thought when I read that tidbit. K gave him his blessing as far as leaving early, but not as far as with the fans (more like one idiot fan) not wanting him to leave (obviously), and a letter some ninny wrote to him really put Elton off on some fans. Anyone with half a brain knows that not all fans are like that, I just hope doesn't/hasn't turned into a perception of our fans. FTR, Brand was my favorite while I was at Duke...at least until J-Will and Battier took over in my later years there.

Does anyone here know: has Elton been back to play in Alumni games, participated in Duke Bball Camps, etc? I'm pretty sure he has, and doesn't seem like any hard feelings...but one has to wonder what was said. I feel like he's the only player that anything like this ever happened to, and it only took one jerk to create the impression.

Anyway, it's Friday, my day off, plenty of time to worry. Overall the fact that they were seen speaking and the conversation was about Duke is great news...lets just hope Elton gives a ringing endorsement. I don't blame Doc for checking all aspects of a program...obviously Sheldon would have nothing but the best to say...other than "He can go to Duke but he can't wear #23.

Big week ahead for Duke athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    This article sounds great i just wonder why he doesn't ask sheldon.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._And_Duke.html
    I'm sure he has. When you're doing research you generally go to more than one source.

And regarding Elton Brand, I can't imagine one letter by a crazy fan would set him against his school. Didn't he just do a sort-of-commercial which is essentially him saying, "Go Duke"?

He should probably talk to SheldEn too.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    He should probably talk to SheldEn too.
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...23&postcount=4

The following guys played for Duke:
    Shelden Williams
    The following guys never played for Duke:
    Jayson Williams (he did, however, kill his limo driver)
    Sheldon Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm sure he has. When you're doing research you generally go to more than one source.

And regarding Elton Brand, I can't imagine one letter by a crazy fan would set him against his school. Didn't he just do a sort-of-commercial which is essentially him saying, "Go Duke"?
    Yeah, I think Elton would supply very positive feedback about Duke and Coach K. And how well prepared Elton was for the NBA and life in general.

Elton, despite some tough injuries, has played well and I believe achieved the maximum allowable contract value when he has signed...he has made a ton of money.

great kid

Passing through Fla this morn, read following tidbit in O'do Sentinel from AR: "I still love Florida so much... But it doesn't help recruiting for the Gators at all when people take the words out of my mouth and put it out there that I'm undecided... Duke wanted to recruit me, but they wanted to do it the right way out of respect for Florida. It's two unbelievable programs and I feel fortunate that they both want me."

Lesson here, I guess, is: AR is great kid, first, great player, second, is having a tough time choosing between 2 programs and coaches he likes a lot, and doesn't appreciate fans who get too pushy. Such fans are unlikely to sway AR to their school, and might just sway him the other way.

When players are discussing the merits of a program and comparing them against others, I don't think their criteria includes "Did the fans like you after you left?" The quality of the fans in general might be one small aspect, like 99th on a list of 100 things to consider, but I assume they were talking about more important things (to them) like Elton's relationship with Coach K, how his game developed, etc.

A side note of Elton's career at Duke is that after he broke his foot during his freshman year, he underwent an experimental procedure being developed at the Duke hospital, which allowed him to return that season. It was originally thought that he'd be out for the year. So if he had played for any other school in the country, we would never have recovered that year. Just another plus for playing for the good guys...

At the risk of offending the sensibilities of our colleagues in the UK by seeming "bitter," I have to say that this sort of report seems like a bit of tea-leaf reading of marginal utility. Doc Rivers talked to Elton Brand about Duke. OK...

"Coach K's a great coach, a great teacher, and a great person. I trust him. I trust him like no other. He knows the game. I haven't doubted him one time. He's always 100% right on what he says. He's been a mentor to me. He tells me what's going to happen before it ever happens. He's been the best, and I don't think I would have gotten that anywhere besides Duke. Duke was the greatest experience of my life." - Elton Brand

http://content.yudu.com/A1i57h/14.2/resources/23.htm

Needless to say, I doubt that one disgruntled fan changed his views of Duke. As long as he said a quarter of that to Doc, I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Also in the link:

"Coach K, I just wanted to say congratulations on your 30-year anniversary. I am sure there are so many, so many great moments that you can think of that you have had. What comes to mind to me is that Duke University has set a standard for everyone else, from every other college. The way you play the game, the way your team smack the floor on defense, we all tried to do the same thing. Congratulations to you - I can't think of no one else more deserving of being in this game for as long as you have and still respected as you are. So, congratulations and see you soon." - Dwyane Wade

Quote Originally Posted by BattierD12 View Post
    "Coach K's a great coach, a great teacher, and a great person. I trust him. I trust him like no other. He knows the game. I haven't doubted him one time. He's always 100% right on what he says. He's been a mentor to me. He tells me what's going to happen before it ever happens. He's been the best, and I don't think I would have gotten that anywhere besides Duke. Duke was the greatest experience of my life." - Elton Brand

http://content.yudu.com/A1i57h/14.2/resources/23.htm

Needless to say, I doubt that one disgruntled fan changed his views of Duke. As long as he said a quarter of that to Doc, I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Also in the link:

"Coach K, I just wanted to say congratulations on your 30-year anniversary. I am sure there are so many, so many great moments that you can think of that you have had. What comes to mind to me is that Duke University has set a standard for everyone else, from every other college. The way you play the game, the way your team smack the floor on defense, we all tried to do the same thing. Congratulations to you - I can't think of no one else more deserving of being in this game for as long as you have and still respected as you are. So, congratulations and see you soon." - Dwyane Wade
    can we get harrison and austin to see this????

At the risk of offending the sensibilities of our colleagues in the UK by seeming "bitter," I have to say that this sort of report seems like a bit of tea-leaf reading of marginal utility. Doc Rivers talked to Elton Brand about Duke. OK...
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that it indicates that Rivers is leaning toward Duke or even toward officially rescinding his commitment to Florida.

That said, it does indicate that Rivers is still contemplating such a move, which is positive.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    can we get harrison and austin to see this????
    I don't think they are in need of information from Duke boosters, and I guarantee that the Duke staff doesn't want anyone here to forward stuff to them.

I don't think they are in need of information from Duke boosters, and I guarantee that the Duke staff doesn't want anyone here to forward stuff to them.
    Why do you have to jump down everyone's throats? He was just making a passing comment.

I'm sure Harrison and Austin have been shown this by the staff, and they no doubt know how much respect almost all of K's former players have for him.