Page 3 of 156 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Not necessarily news, but Seth has some credibility, despite trying to avoid being called a Duke homer:

No. Rivers is recruiting them and Coach K and Billy D have spoken about it. RT @David4242: Is it unethical for Duke to steal FLA's Rivers?

btw all the stories about Duke's recruiting renaissance neglect to mention Austin Rivers, who I predict will also be a Blue Devil.
    http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops

Can you say momentum?

Any new information with how the commitment of KI will affect Austin and his recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Any new information with how the commitment of KI will affect Austin and his recruitment.
    Nothing but conjecture...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    irving, barnes, and rivers would certainly be a nice trifecta

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    With Rivers wanting to wait until after his HS season and Beal wanting to decide before, things could get interesting unless Beal decides to wait too.

If I am Beal and Duke really is my dream school, I commit before the HS Season rather than wait on Austin Rivers.

Duke should accept such a commit, since there is very little difference between #1 SG and # 2 SG.

Then unless someone leaves early, tere are only 2 scholarships left across Rivers, Plumlee 3 and Quincy Miller, assuming one and only one of Barnes and Roscoe Smith end up at Duke.

Recruiting talk like this makes my fingers tingle.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    With Rivers wanting to wait until after his HS season and Beal wanting to decide before, things could get interesting unless Beal decides to wait too.

If I am Beal and Duke really is my dream school, I commit before the HS Season rather than wait on Austin Rivers.

Duke should accept such a commit, since there is very little difference between #1 SG and # 2 SG.

Then unless someone leaves early, tere are only 2 scholarships left across Rivers, Plumlee 3 and Quincy Miller, assuming one and only one of Barnes and Roscoe Smith end up at Duke.

I love the sound of Beal and Rivers together, especially if there is a chance we lose KI (or HB if we get him) after 1 year.

Miller sounds like a super stud. Marshall seems like he has great potential and works to get to a high level.

I agree. Talk like this, where we are potentially so flush that we have to choose between top 15 players, is really a nice turn around. Hope it plays out this well.

You guys and gals need to be patient and let things play out. There are many good things in the works I believe. We may know one answer Nov 12th, another may take a while, just focus on this year's team

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    You guys and gals need to be patient and let things play out. There are many good things in the works I believe. We may know one answer Nov 12th, another may take a while, just focus on this year's team
    Why must every recruiting thread inevitably have someone post "just focus on this year's team"? I haven't seen anyone post: "To hell with this year's team. I can't wait for recruit X to declare."

11. Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Devil View Post
    Why must every recruiting thread inevitably have someone post "just focus on this year's team"? I haven't seen anyone post: "To hell with this year's team. I can't wait for recruit X to declare."
    Because that's insane?

For most of us, we're at DBR because we enjoy supporting Duke basketball. I.e. the sport of basketball, not the sport of recruiting.

Forget about the anxiety of recruiting, the payoff -- getting to watch our recruits actually play Duke basketball -- is in the here and now. If you focus too much on the former, you'll miss the latter and the latter is the point of the whole thing!

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    Because that's insane?

For most of us, we're at DBR because we enjoy supporting Duke basketball. I.e. the sport of basketball, not the sport of recruiting.

Forget about the anxiety of recruiting, the payoff -- getting to watch our recruits actually play Duke basketball -- is in the here and now. If you focus too much on the former, you'll miss the latter and the latter is the point of the whole thing!
    Let me put this into perspective for you. The reason we are so into recruiting right now is the fact that we are not playing any games. We all love Duke Basketball so much that this is all we have to cheer for right now. In a couple of weeks we will get to watch the games and then we will talk about those. I doubt anyone on this site would rather talk recruiting than watch the games. This is all we have for right now! So let everyone have their fun with recruiting!

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    Let me put this into perspective for you. The reason we are so into recruiting right now is the fact that we are not playing any games. We all love Duke Basketball so much that this is all we have to cheer for right now. In a couple of weeks we will get to watch the games and then we will talk about those. I doubt anyone on this site would rather talk recruiting than watch the games. This is all we have for right now! So let everyone have their fun with recruiting!
    My point exactly.

Well, more like your point, but that's what I was infering.

recruitment is part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by statik73 View Post
    recruitment is part of the game.
    A huge part. It's like the draft for pro teams. Fans get nutty talking draft strategy. Why? Because it's fun and interesting. And to many of us, recruiting is a really interesting part of college basketball. We find it fun to discuss whether in season or out of season, but particularly out. It's the past (how did we get here?) and the future (how do things look for next year?) of the team. Just look at the number of recruiting threads, and you can see that the people find it interesting and think it's important.

OTOH, people who don't find the recruiting aspect of basketball at all interesting or important don't have to read or post in recruiting threads. They can just wait for kids magically to show up on the court and talk exclusively about the games.
    Last edited by CEF1959; 11-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.

16. Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    I don't disagree with the above - after all i do follow all the recruiting threads. However I was responding to this quote:

I haven't seen anyone post: "To hell with this year's team. I can't wait for recruit X to declare."

So everyone agrees that both recruiting and games are worthy of discussion?

Good. Glad we got that settled.

Winter Park junior basketball star Austin Rivers elaborated on his recruitment at the Sentinel's Varsity Basketball Media Day, saying he remains orally committed to Florida but Duke has pulled up right alongside of the Gators
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,3030685.story

This part is just funny:

"I'm not feeling Kentucky," Rivers said. "I have a really good feeling right now about Florida and Duke, but I just don't want to go to Kentucky. Nothing against them. Great program, great coach. It's just not for me."

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This part is just funny:

"I'm not feeling Kentucky," Rivers said. "I have a really good feeling right now about Florida and Duke, but I just don't want to go to Kentucky. Nothing against them. Great program, great coach. It's just not for me."
    Meaning, "I don't like the program or the coach."

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Meaning, "I don't like the program or the coach."
    This also means, "I enjoy class and prestige, I'm heading to Duke!" Open arms Austin, Open Arms!