Thread: The Bob Show

The Bob Show

Any local DBR folks going to the Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson/John Mellencamp show at the DBAP tonight?

It was extraordinary - in a way that I did not expect. Willie Nelson was Willie - he did an hours worth of classics and seemed to be having the time of his life.

Bob Dylan was good, not great. A nice mix of older songs and songs from his last few albums (which are some of his best work IMHO). His set suffered from a really bad (muffled and overly amplified) sound mix (which got corrected by late in the show and was crystal clear for his encore of Like a Rolling Stone, Jolene, and All Along the Wathctower).

John Mellencamp. Wow! He absolutely stole the show. He hit the stage running and did basically a greatest hits set (with a couple of nice new songs thrown in). Except for a quiet 3-song acoustic interlude (including an a capella version of Club Cherry Bomb) it was straight up rock and roll. His energy and crowd intreraction reminded me of Springsteen. I always enjoyed his work, but was never a huge fan. However, last night's performance by Mellencamp might be one of the best live performances I've ever seen. If you live in a town where this show is coming, and you are a Mellencamp fan, you should go. (Last night he played the second set - I think he and Willie alternate between first and second with Dylan always closing).

It was an early show. Willie took the stage promptly at 6:00 and the whle thing was done at 10:50. Willie and Mellencamp each got an hour set and Dyalnd about 90 minutes. The DBAP was actually a nice setting for the show (though hot).