Thread: Emg/ncv

Emg/ncv

Any body had these tests? I have to go tomorrow. Doesn't sound too pleasant. A few fingers have been numb for a couple months and I have had tingling on one side of my back for about a month now. Dr. thinks it's a neck problem. More PT - I swore after my two should surgeries that I would never be back - here I am returning after only two months. This is the 6th trip to PT and the 4th in 5 years. Novacare is LOVING me!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Any body had these tests? I have to go tomorrow. Doesn't sound too pleasant. A few fingers have been numb for a couple months and I have had tingling on one side of my back for about a month now. Dr. thinks it's a neck problem. More PT - I swore after my two should surgeries that I would never be back - here I am returning after only two months. This is the 6th trip to PT and the 4th in 5 years. Novacare is LOVING me!
    Hang in there! Your DBR friends are standing with you.

Thanks. I'm just frustrated at trying to be active and constantly having major or nagging injuries. I do not want to "retire" as my mother suggests.

Thanks. I'm just frustrated at trying to be active and constantly having major or nagging injuries. I do not want to "retire" as my mother suggests.
    Stretch!!!! Sounds like some tight muscles...

EMG/NCV is not too bad. They stick some very fine needles into your muscles. It sounds worse than it is. It will help them to determine if the problem is from the nerves getting pinched in your neck or a problem further down.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Stretch!!!! Sounds like some tight muscles...
    I've been stretching and stretching and stretching, and it does not help at all. I find it very difficult to loosen the muscles that run just to the side of the spinal column. Hopefully PT can take care of it. Thanks.

I've had the tests too. It's not that bad. It certainly isn't pleasant, but the unpleasantness doesn't linger.

I've been stretching and stretching and stretching, and it does not help at all. I find it very difficult to loosen the muscles that run just to the side of the spinal column. Hopefully PT can take care of it. Thanks.
    Oh my, where's greybeard when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Oh my, where's greybeard when you need him?
    My thoughts exactly. It was not so bad. Just some pokes. Likely a pinched nerve in the elbow from leaning on lower arm at the computer. Tingling in the shoulder is altogether something else. Just wish he had not used a sharpie to mark his testing spots.

Thanks, all.

Regular sessions with a good massage therapist could help with gently loosing tight muscles. Continuing the sessions over time has a cumulative effect in improving the situation because of muscle memory. An added bonus is that each session stimulates the production of serotonin.

In addition to checking the Yellow Pages or similar listing to find massage therapists, this web site can be a helpful resource. http://www.massagetherapy.com/find/index.php I found a wonderful massage therapist through the massage program at a local medical center. I look for massage therapists who are not affiliated with spa settings because those in private practice or affiliated with a hospital tend to be more focused in their training and approach on medical issues, their fees aren't inflated by being in a spa and the tipping policy may be more appropriate for massage as a medical treatment. If your doctor recommends or "prescribes" massage therapy in writing, you may be able to deduct the costs as a medical expense.

I've been very pleased with the results I've experienced from a technique called "cupping." A variety of body work techniques might be helpful for the situation you're experiencing.

Ulner nerve surgery

Anybody had it? My ortho recommended it as an option since numbness in my fingers has not gone away. Seems like a 50/50 shot from what I've read on line from other's experiences. But danger is loss of function due to muscle atrophy. This would by my third surgery in three years, prior two on shoulder. I really do not want to go under the knife again, particularly since my parents have had quite enough of taking care of me.

Thanks for any input.