Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mark Buerhle throws perfect game

Interesting baseball game going on in Chicago right now...

Hope he gets it out of his system before the series in DTW.

what a catch...all time catch given the situation

Fantastic - good for him! Great moment to watch.

It is over so we can say it. Mark Buerhle threw a no-hitter... actually, he threw a perfect game.

Perfection!!

--Jason "don't see that every day... or every year... about every half decade or so" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I was "watching" on gamecast and thought for sure that deep fly was going out. That little x was sure close to the wall. Can't wait to see the highlight of that #1 webjem.

I love Buehrle. Did anyone watching the Open last week notice (or get reminded about) how fast Tom Watson plays? Buehrle's the baseball version. No wasted motion.

In his other no-hitter, the only baserunner was a walk to Sammy Sosa, whom he immediately picked off thereafter. So he has come the closest any major leaguer has to throwing two perfectos.

You know how the Google Toolbar tries to guess what you're searching for after typing a few letters? The second entry under "mark" is "mark buehrle perfect game". The google is sure smart.

I'm proud of you hurleyfor3, aren't you usually a Cubs guy?

Say there...are the Pirates still able to field nine guys at a time?

Weezie, are you still bitter about the Dead Wings? Tsk Tsk...

One day Charlie Brown WILL kick that football and the Buccos WILL be a winning team again!!

3:47 am here, I can't find any games on now...

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'm proud of you hurleyfor3, aren't you usually a Cubs guy?

Say there...are the Pirates still able to field nine guys at a time?
    It's not possible to take the Cubs seriously if you didn't grow up here.

The Bucs haven't fielded a real team since Barry Bonds couldn't throw out Sid Bream. They're now the Red Sox' AAA affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    It's not possible to take the Cubs seriously if you didn't grow up here.
    That's one of the most apt statements I've seen on the Wrigley gang. I'll be using that in the future, thank you.

The ground Dewayne Wise covered on that catch was remarkable. That was like Torii Hunter in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    The ground Dewayne Wise covered on that catch was remarkable. That was like Torii Hunter in his prime.
    That was my first thought upon seeing it. I could not believe he got to it, let alone made the catch. Outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post

It reminded me of Otis Nixon's catch to rob Andy Van Slyke of a ninth-inning home run and preserve a 1-0 win for Atlanta in 1992. IIRC, Nixon's catch was also the next-to-last out in that game.

It wasn't a perfect game or no hitter, but the Braves were in the middle of a tight division race at the time, so it was a big catch and a big win. More than anything, though, it was the athleticism, height and timing of Wise's catch that reminded me of Nixon's.

If anyone remembers Kenny Rogers' perfecto in 1994 against the Angels, you'll recall that a diving catch in center field by Rusty Greer of Rex Hudler's liner to start the 9th inning also preserved that perfect game.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

All right, all this ripping on the 1992 Pirates will stop now. Any further comments will result in a ban.

Oh wait, one of those posters was me.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Weezie, are you still bitter about the Dead Wings? Tsk Tsk...

One day Charlie Brown WILL kick that football and the Buccos WILL be a winning team again!!

Dear, dear Turkmeister, you bet your keister I'm still bitter!

But as far as "The Family's" prospects...I feel far more certain of the Lions rising from the ash heap of oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Dear, dear Turkmeister, you bet your keister I'm still bitter!

But as far as "The Family's" prospects...I feel far more certain of the Lions rising from the ash heap of oblivion.
    I'm still bitter too...stupid Sidney Crosby's immature stupid self
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    It reminded me of Otis Nixon's catch to rob Andy Van Slyke of a ninth-inning home run and preserve a 1-0 win for Atlanta in 1992. IIRC, Nixon's catch was also the next-to-last out in that game.

It wasn't a perfect game or no hitter, but the Braves were in the middle of a tight division race at the time, so it was a big catch and a big win. More than anything, though, it was the athleticism, height and timing of Wise's catch that reminded me of Nixon's.
    And, it extended the Braves' win streak to, I think, 13 games, which was the longest in the NL since a while before that.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

wise's catch the next night was almost as good

It didn't preserve a perfect game, but it was a great catch as well. Kudos to the manager who inserted him in the 9th for his defensive ability!