Tony Jackson dismissed from FB team

No major worries for Duke has some good RB's in the stable.

Duke Media Release -

DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday that running back Tony Jackson has been dismissed from the gridiron program, effective immediately, for failing to uphold the standard of conduct expected of a Blue Devil football student-athlete.

Jackson, a 5-10, 190-pound junior from Rochester, N.Y., played in 11 games with three starting assignments in 2008, rushing 76 times for 259 yards while catching 12 passes for an additional 106 yards and one touchdown. As a true freshman in 2007, he appeared in all 12 contests -- primarily on special teams -- as a reserve defensive back.

Don't know the details behind this decision, but I have a high degree of trust for Coach Cut's judgment in these matters. An emphasis on character often pays dividends down the road.

To young Mr. Jackson, hope he can learn a lesson and move on, whether that be at Duke or elsewhere. Mistakes and bad breaks are part of life; overcoming them is a real triumph.

Disappointing to hear anybody on the FB team get dismissed. It seems like their have been quite a few dismissals in the past couple years. I'm sure Cutcliffe has laid down the law and is fair with his assessments.

Perhaps it was due to his exorbitant number of traffic tickets:

Duke parking is pretty brutal though.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post

Duke Media Release -

DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday that running back Tony Jackson has been dismissed from the gridiron program, effective immediately, for failing to uphold the standard of conduct expected of a Blue Devil football student-athlete.

Jackson, a 5-10, 190-pound junior from Rochester, N.Y., played in 11 games with three starting assignments in 2008, rushing 76 times for 259 yards while catching 12 passes for an additional 106 yards and one touchdown. As a true freshman in 2007, he appeared in all 12 contests -- primarily on special teams -- as a reserve defensive back.
    It's a shame that this has happened. While I haven't heard any of the details yet, not meeting the standards for behavior has cost Tony a tremendous opportunity. I hope the future brings improvement for him.

It's very clear that team discipline (in the sense of self discipline) is a major emphasis and rightly so. Coach Cutcliffe has impressed me as someone who has high standards and means what he says.

Is this really happening at Duke???

Hi,

I've been shocked by what I learn people do who before-hand I'd greatly respected. So, it is possible that Coach Cut is selling us all a bill of goods. However, I don't think so. I think we might have the real deal here.

Who would have believed even two years ago that a team with as little success as Duke football would both not accept a successful scholarship basketball's players services as a quarterback for a season and dismiss players who didn't meet an actual code of conduct? We are behaving in ways I've been dreaming about Duke football since I first stepped foot on campus in the early 1980's. With all due respect to Coach Spurrier, I felt he was going to be gone before long, here I feel we might have something for a while.

WOW!

GO DUKE!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Maybe not major worries, but it's never good to lose someone with experience. I wish him well and hope he is able grow from this situation. Bummer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I've been shocked by what I learn people do who before-hand I'd greatly respected. So, is it possible that Coach Cut is selling us all a bill of goods.
    Nope. This was earned by the departed.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I have a high degree of trust for Coach Cut's judgment in these matters. An emphasis on character often pays dividends down the road.
    I strongly concur. The fact is, most Dukies want our rejuvenated football program to be truly representative of the University's enduring values, which means athletic successes (at an appropriate level) balanced with substantial, top-tier scholarship, with ethics and integrity, and with community-focus/service. Many other programs (Virginia Tech’s is a reasonable example) have allowed the imperative for football victories to overwhelm player academics and character. It would be a grave error for Duke to emulate this paradigm – I see absolutely no evidence that Coach Cut, Dr. White and the senior-Administration is, in any manner, pursuing this abortive methodology – and, in the long-term, unfortunate incidents (such as Jackson’s dismissal) reinforce the principles that will eventually allow Duke Football to achieve its multifaceted goals.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I strongly concur. The fact is, most Dukies want our rejuvenated football program to be truly representative of the University's enduring values, which means athletic successes (at an appropriate level) balanced with substantial, top-tier scholarship, with ethics and integrity, and with community-focus/service. Many other programs (Virginia Tech’s is a reasonable example) have allowed the imperative for football victories to overwhelm player academics and character. It would be a grave error for Duke to emulate this paradigm – I see absolutely no evidence that Coach Cut, Dr. White and the senior-Administration is, in any manner, pursuing this abortive methodology – and, in the long-term, unfortunate incidents (such as Jackson’s dismissal) reinforce the principles that will eventually allow Duke Football to achieve its multifaceted goals.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Great post.
    ...and so true.