Star Wars series

My son has been rewatching all the movies 1-6 over the past few days. I sorta tune in and out as I have time.

Anyway, we just got to the moment where the Ewoks appear and befriend Leia.

I have to go to the grocery store and bank to run some errands. Now seems like a darn good time to do it.

-Jason "sigh, it is so sad to see how bad Return of the Jedi is" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

... and yet still superior to the prequels.

Since I was a little kid growing up w/ the Ewoks they don't bother me as much as they do for others. Obviously I like ESB the best, but still enjoy RotJ quite a bit.

I didn't mind ROTJ so much, but I was about 9 when it came out. I actually like the movies almost in the order that they came out, except I might switch episodes VI and I.

ewoks

I was a fanatic Star Wars fan early. The first film (A New Hope) was unlike any other film I had ever seen. Just a terrific piece of filmmaking.

Empire Strikes Back was a better film (although it didn't have the same impact since the first film set the standard for the series). Great characters and story that wasn't overwhelmed by the special effects.

I can still remember the hours we spent after ESB debating the revelation that Vader was Luke's Father and also the identify of the "one other" capable to defeating the Empire.

I looked forward to Return of the Jedi with as much anticipation as I have for any film. It started off great with the escape from Jabbar the Hut (and that unforgetable image of Leia in the gold bikini).

But I have the same reaction as Jason. Great series that exploded with the arrival of the Ewoks. The last half of the Jedi sucked .. I half-heartedly went to the next film (technically Espisode One) and thought it sucked even more than Jedi. I waited for the next two to show up on cable. I didn't regret waiting ... in fact, I pretty much regretted wasting the 4-5 hours I spent watching them.

for me, there were three simplistic reasons (or lack of) that separated the first 3 (NH, ESB, ROTJ) and the last three.

Special effects can not make up for these differences..

1. Swashbuckling - there is absolutley ZERO swashbuckling in any of Episodes 1-3. Han Solo, Luke Skywalker...Lucas even had the x-wing fighters bobbing up and down like western horse riders.

2. Romance - you're telling me you BOUGHT that crap between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman? please.

3. Villain - there was absolutey NO one to fear (especially the maniacal hayden) in any of episodes 1-3 UNTIL......the first time you saw that black helmet, and heard those first breaths. that was pretty much the only chill i got outta any of those 3.

just my .02 worth...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Love 'em or hate 'em, the Ewoks are intregral to the final chapter and the good guys don't win without them. They are far less annoying than JarJar. I didn't have feelings either way when I saw Jedi in the theaters, but I hated JJ off the bat when I saw him. What grinds my gears more (thanks Peter Griffin, hope you win the Emmy) is now when you see Jedi, they have Heyden suxalotChristensen instead of the original Anakin Skywalker in the final scene. That actor had one great claim to fame, and now it's been wiped out to digital history. It makes no sense because Obi Wan is still Alec Guinness and not Ewan McGregor. At least Yoda didn't have any stand in puppets they could subsitute.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I read somewhere that ROTJ was originally going to be on a wookiee planet, but they decided that the wookiees would never allow the federation to take over while even one of their hairy carcasses still drew breath.

Make the hard choice: Ewoks, JarJar, or a razor blade and alcohol.

I choose to cut.
    ~rthomas

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I read somewhere that ROTJ was originally going to be on a wookiee planet, but they decided that the wookiees would never allow the federation to take over while even one of their hairy carcasses still drew breath.
    I read somewhere that ROTJ was originally going to be set on the Wookie planet, too, but that Lucas was convinced that he could make a whole lot more merchandising money off cute, furry Ewoks that looked like a cross between a Teddy and a Koala than he could off of big, tall, Walking Carpets.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right... notice "Wook"-"E" vs. "E"-"Wook". they got real creative with the change.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I read somewhere that ROTJ was originally going to be set on the Wookie planet, too, but that Lucas was convinced that he could make a whole lot more merchandising money off cute, furry Ewoks that looked like a cross between a Teddy and a Koala than he could off of big, tall, Walking Carpets.
    That's bogus. www.scruffynerfherder.com has the real story.

i was expecting "page cannot be found" but it's real. I shouldn't be surprised but I am.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 07-21-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: OMG it's a real site...sigh.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Love 'em or hate 'em, the Ewoks are intregral to the final chapter and the good guys don't win without them.
    Han Solo said it best: "Short help's better than no help at all."

Whatever the origins of the Ewoks, Lucas was making a point there about the Rebels using whatever resources were available to tip the scales. True, this point was secondary to whatever m/billions he made in merchandising for that movie, but it's still there.

I'm so tired of people who call themselves fans of Episodes 4-6 dissing the Ewoks. Including Kevin Smith.

My thoughts on Episode 1

Chronologically, as the movies go, he was just a little squid in his mommy's egg sac when the events of the first movie occurred.

I know, he's just conveying my sentiments about feeling conned into seeing it since I loved the originals so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Chronologically, as the movies go, he was just a little squid in his mommy's egg sac when the events of the first movie occurred.
    Admiral Akbar was from a planet called "Mon Calimari." It always struck me a really, really lazy storytelling to have the squid-man from a planet named after fried squid. I mean, I always thought Jabba's Gamorrean guards looked like pigs...

...Are we going to say they are from the planet Bacon?

--Jason "George Lucas should have taken his billions and paid a good storyteller a million bucks to write the rest of the series" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Naw, they're from the planet "Prosciutto".