Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Half Blood = Half Baked

Saw it yesterday finally...and must admit...I thought it was pretty much awful. I mean awful. It was slow...the romance stuff seemed forced (then again, it did in the book as well), the acting was rigid, and they left out a ton of things from the book that really had a material impact, if you ask me.

But first the good - they handled the scene in the cave pretty well. It was creepy. I liked the Potions guy, and the way he altered his memory. The unbreakable vow scene was good. Malfoy seemed clearly torn by things, and he acted pretty well. Quidditch was fun. That's it.

Now the bad. Oh, where to begin. First the cave. I have to say, I have disliked the new Dumbledore since the day he came. The first guy was just amazing (and unfortunately died). This new one never had any charisma. And in the book, while Dumbledore was drinking the potion - it was brutal. And he was literally begging for water, like if he didn't get it he would die. Then, it was Harry who thought of the fire (Dumbledore was far too weak to do anything). I loved the scene of Dumbledore telling Harry he had to apirate because Dumbledore was too weak, then him saying, "I'm glad I'm with you." Great stuff. All left out.

The final confrontation made no sense. Why bring the Death Eaters? Where was the fight scene? Why change things from the book? I loved Dumbledore in the book asking Malfoy about letting in people who could harm his friends (and also talking about the curses that almost killed his classmates). And Snape and Harry at the end was as anti-climactic as it gets. Why not have Snape bouncing off Harry's curses and taunting him like he did in the book, "Blocked, Harry. Again and again until you learn to control your emotions and your mind." And then yelling at him, "I am not a coward!" The last 6 chapters of the book were some of the best ever written, and they were basically completely ignored in the movie. What a let down.

Young Voldemort was basically like watching a scene from Damien. Really, really dumb. Voldemort was not the devil as a kid. He was angry, and had desire, yes...but he was also very charismatic. The movie portrayed him as pure evil, and emotionally unstable. I always saw him as just being greedy, and willing to do anything at any cost - and charismatically powerful. People were afraid not to do what he wanted because if they did they would lose his friendship (and be on his bad side). This was...blah.

And why put in a new scene in the cornfield that made no sense - just to make Harry and Jenny feel closer? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Again, I pretty much hated this movie. For me it was by far the worst. I would rank them in the following order:

1) Sorcerer's Stone (new and well done)
    2) Order of Phoenix (just really liked it)
    3) Prisoner
    4) Chamber of Secrets (very close to Azbakin)
    5) Goblet of Fire
    6) Half Blood (and this would be a distant 6th).

It's no wonder the audience fell so dramatically. Here's hoping the last two movies are better...though somehow I doubt it.

I think a big purpose of the sixth book, and movie, was to set up for the seventh. But sticking with the movie, I thought it was good when taken alone on its own. When compared to the book, I agree that this was the one that missed the best parts of the book more than any of the others. I think the longer it's been since you read the book with this one, probably the better you'd like it. My wife just re-read them last month, and wasn't a HUGE fan. I last read book six a couple years ago, and I liked it quite a bit. I'm in book 4 of my re-read right now, and when I get to six, I might decide in hindsight that the movie wasn't as good as I thought it was. I agree about Dumbledore. My wife and I have complained about Richard Harris' replacement, Michael Gambon, since day one. And on top of that, his beard isn't nearly as cool as Harris' was.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    I agreed with you Jason--I thought the movie made it a lot more obvious that Snape was good (though I thought the book made it somewhat obvious as well.) However, my wife, who has never read past book four, could not believe that Snape turned on Dumbledore like he did. So maybe we are just cursed for having read the books before the movie.
    I agree. We just saw it last weekend and I'm the only one in th family who has read past book four. My husband and son asked me, so isn't this finally proof that Snape is bad because he killed Dumbledore! I told them that Snape was more complex than they think and "just wait".

My husband said this was his least favorite of the movies, not by comparison with the book which he has not read, but because he thought it was slow and there was no big confronation with Voldemort. I can't say it's my favorite but there were things I liked a lot including the humor. I also thought it was beautifully done (visually) and I love the way they slip in little everyday magical things (like the books slipping into their slots when Hermione is reshelving books).

Also back to Snape - I just love Snape and enjoy watching the character. This may partly have to do with knowing how things end, and also probably has to do with how well Alan Rickman plays the part.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Also back to Snape - I just love Snape and enjoy watching the character. This may partly have to do with knowing how things end, and also probably has to do with how well Alan Rickman plays the part.
    Is there anyone better than Rickman at playing the bad guy? He goes over the top and you'd think it would be cartoonish, but he keeps it real and believable.

Hans Gruber in Die Hard is his signature role, but remember him as the bad-guy rancher in Quigley Down Under? He followed that up with his role as the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood. And now, for an entire generation of kids, he is Serverus Snape.

Dude is a winner at being bad.

--Jason "he does a nice job in Dogma, Sense & Sensibility, and a few other films - but he really soars as a villain" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Even though I've seen Die Hard and Robin Hood multiple times, when I think of Alan Rickman, "Harry" from Love Actually always comes to mind first. (Of course I've seen that movie 20 times so that's probably why...)

Pretty bad-something in DH though, I'll admit.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    he does a nice job in Dogma, Sense & Sensibility, and a few other films - but he really soars as a villain
    I found myself a little shocked to feel sorry for his character in Sense and Sensibility. Between Snape and Sheriff of Nottingham, I'd come to hate him.

But, EVERY time I see him, I can't help but think . . .

"Snape, Snape, Severus Snape.
    Snape, Snape, Severus Snape.
    Dumbledore!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

I'm a huge fan of Rickman, but now whenever I think of him an image from Play, of him as a disembodied head that's part of a potted plant, comes to mind. Saw it on Four when I was living in England. Strange stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Rickman, but now whenever I think of him an image from Play, of him as a disembodied head that's part of a potted plant, comes to mind. Saw it on Four when I was living in England. Strange stuff.

What the...?!?!?!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?