Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Harry Potter 6 movie thoughts and speculation on the next movies

Here is a thread for folks to comment on the new film.

I'll have more extensive comments later but my quick take is--

1) Good film, but not great. Beautifully made with not all that many departures from the book (more on that in a moment). I guess that is the job of these films though it makes the movies somewhat unsatisfying as we know what is going to happen.

2) I guess I forgot how -- well -- cerebral and slow this book was. The movie had very little action. Ron and Hermione played much smaller than usual roles and were largely reduced to whining about teen relationship angst. Speaking of relationships, the movie seemed to really throw Harry at Ginny quite quickly. I recall it being slower and more of a revelation in the book.

3) One somewhat significant departure from the book was when Dumbledore had Harry hide from Malfoy and the Death Eaters. You may recall in the book that Dumbledore casts a spell that keeps Harry from taking any action in the final fight. I did not like Harry just sitting there, not taking any action to help Dumbledore. I liked it better when Dumbledore prevents Harry from a foolish and perhaps suicidal action.

4) No mention of Kreacher or Harry owning #12 Grimmauld Place. This is significant as Harry gets the locket Horcrux from Kreacher in the next book. It can be fixed, but I would not have minded seeing some of Kreacher in this movie. I also missed seeing the scenes of Tom Riddle's mother and the Gaunt family, though (again) this could easily be done in the next book when it will be more signficant as we learn the identity and location of the Horcruxes.

5) The search for the Horcrux and the Inferi coming out of the water was easily the best part of the film. Even though I knew that Inferi was going to grab Harry, I still jumped!

6) I found the ending somewhat abrupt and unsatisfying. They cut out Dumbledore's funeral, but even with the funeral I think this movie is fated to be a tease. It can never do anything more than set the stage for the final film (actually films, they will be done in 2 parts-- one in November of next year and one in July of 2011). I understand why the movie was made the way it was made and why the story goes the way it goes, but I still feel a little bit *blaah* about the film as a result. Despite what I thought was a high-quality film, I have no plans to see it again.

--Jason "I meant to not write much... Ha!! As if!!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Agree with pretty much everything you said, except I liked it quite a bit. I put it as #3 in my order of liking in the series. I liked 1 and 2 the best, as they set the scene and we got to see all the cool new things, like magic, and classes, and quidditch, and the original Dumbledore, whom I preferred, and the kids wearing their uniforms.

One of the things that bugs me the most about these movies is that the kids never wear their robes in the later movies. I get that the actors don't like them, but it's a big part of what sets these stories apart from normal movies about high school. Not to mention, part of the humor is that these great wizards can't dress like us to save their lives, yet as kids they run around wearing GAP everywhere? What sense does that make? If you don't want to wear the costumes, don't be in a movie where they're significant. Otherwise, what's the point? Sorry, rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I also liked the scene in the cave. However, I was surprised that this got a PG when the last couple were PG-13. I thought that the cave scene was every bit as scary and violent as some horror movies from when I was a kid, especially when you include Harry basically torturing AD with the potion. Not to mention AD's nasty hand that kept popping up. I know that kids are "older" now, and most 11 and 12 year olds could handle this fine, but I still thought it deserved a PG-13. I saw a LOT of younger kids in there that looked AWFULLY frightened at several points, and a few of them cried.

My question is, where are they gonna split the seventh book for the two movies? That would be an interesting thing to debate. Good split points.

Agree with bjornolf in that I liked it a lot. I thought there was a lot more humor in this one than in the previous films. Until the ending it was pretty light fare. I enjoyed all the teen angst in the movie as I remember it was one of my favorite parts of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    Agree with bjornolf in that I liked it a lot. I thought there was a lot more humor in this one than in the previous films. Until the ending it was pretty light fare. I enjoyed all the teen angst in the movie as I remember it was one of my favorite parts of the book.
    Agreed with the humor. The hospital wing scene and Ron with love potion were played excellent in my opinion. Right up there with the first two films for me, overall.

I liked the movie but was suprised by one of the climactic scenes of not only the book but the whole series: the first kiss between Ginny and Harry. Considering how true the movies have been to the source material, I was shocked that they deviated so much in that scene. In the book, they kiss after a Quidditch match that Harry is suspended from...

On the whole I enjoyed it as a good, though by no stretch great, movie. It was far superior to the last two installments, but was not up to the standards of the first three, imho.

I'll be curious to see how they handle the split of the last book into two movies. I'm firmly in the camp that believes the vast majority of the material in the final book could easily be cut.
    Last edited by Cavlaw; 07-20-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I'll be curious to see how they handle the split of the last book into two movies. I'm firmly in the camp that believes the vast majority of the material in the final book could easily be cut.
    But, but,... wouldn't that involve cutting $300M or more in gross receipts from the franchise? That's not easily done if you're a movie executive.

Splitting the Deathly Hallows (SPOILERS)

I would have added this to Jason's thread about the new Harry Potter film (and if the mods want to move it there, that's fine). I just wasn't sure if we were still protecting non-readers for the details of the final book in the saga (hence, the spoiler alert).

I wanted to respond to the point raised in the Potter thread about how the producers will split the final two films -- both based on the final book. I don't really object to the idea, since the Deathly Hallows is a long and complicated story. I'd rather they do a good job telling the final chapter in two parts than to a hasty of sloppy job in one part.

So I'll wait -- projected time of the next installment is November of 2010 ... the final installment is due in the summer of 2011.

So the question remains, where do you split the Deathly Hallows?

My suggestion is that the first part should end with the capture of Harry, Ron and Hermione in the forest and their transfer to Malfoy Hall.

That still leaves plenty of key sequences for the first half:

-- The escape from Privet Lane
    -- Harry's 17th birthday (and the items from Dumbledore's will) followed by the wedding and the fall of the ministry.
    -- Harry, Ron and Hermione's escape to Grimmauld Place and the discovery of the identity of RAB and the location of the real locket.
    -- The raid on the ministry of magic and the escape to the forest.
    -- The long, discouraging wanderings through the wildness (hopefully covered in a quick montage), ending with Ron's departure.
    -- Harry and Hermione's visit to Godric's Hollow and their narrow escape.
    -- The return of Ron and the discovery of the sword in the Forest of Dean
    -- The visit to Luna's home and the discovery of the meaning of story behind the Deathly Hallows.
    -- The capture in the forest.

Of course, the three major themes have to be the disturbing news Harry keeps learning about Dumbledore's past; Voldemort's search for the Wand of Destiny and the trio's puzzlement over the meaning of the Deathly Hallows.

That would end the installment with a cliffhanger ... Harry, Ron and Hermione are thrown in the Malfoy basement with Luna, Ollivander and the goblin, while Bellatrix, the Malfoys and other Death Eaters prepare to summon Voldemort.

For part two, you open with the dramatic escape from Malfoy Manor, followed by:

--The sojourn at Shell Cottage where Harry debates with himself whether to pursue the Deathly Hallows or the horcruxes ...
    -- The robbery of Gringott's with the thrilling escape on the back on the dragon (should be a GREAT scene on the screen).
    -- The confrontation with Abelforth and the infiltration of Hogwarts.
    -- The Battle of Hogwarts
    -- The death of Snape and Harry's final understanding of Snape's role
    -- Harry's sacrifice and his meeting with Dumbledore in the afterworld
    -- Harry's return and his final victory
    (I won't object if they leave off the epilogue).

Anybody got a better suggested point to cut? Can any of the episodes I listed be cut ... did I leave out any scenes that must be included (maybe Snape tipping Voldemort off to the Order's escape plans from Privet Lane?)

As for The Half Blood Prince, I enjoyed it. I thought it was faithful to the book and advanced the story well. I didn't mind seeing all the scenes of teen angst -- the characters are real enough to enjoy their stories. I did miss seeing the Order of the Phoenix (Where was Mad-Eye Moody ... Kingsley Shacklebolt) and what happened to Tonks? Neville barely makes it in as background noise -- and he turns out to be an important player to the endgame.

Still, all in all, well done. I hope the last two films turn out as well.

That seems to be the most logical place to end it. I do wonder however if they will end on a negative cliffhanger with the capture of Ron, Hermione and Harry. Would it be possible they would end part 1 with the escape from Malfoy Manor.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I would have added this to Jason's thread about the new Harry Potter film (and if the mods want to move it there, that's fine). I just wasn't sure if we were still protecting non-readers for the details of the final book in the saga (hence, the spoiler alert).
    I don't think spoilers are a concern seeing as the final book has been out for quite some time. At a certain point, spoiler warnings are no longer necessary.

-Jason "I merged but am changing the title of the thread to reflect the additional topic" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I recall folks speculating about ending the movie with Harry's decision about whether to pursue Horcrux or Hallows.

I think the producers will want the film to end on an action sequence, which would make the escape from Malfoy Mannor a logical place to do it. The capture in the forest is not dramatic enough in my opinion.

I think the film will end with Harry, kneeling next to Doby's grave at Shell cottage, debating Horcrux vs. Hallows and then standing up and saying, "I know what to do now..."

--Jason "the theft from Gringott's and the battle with Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle in the Room of Requirement are two scenes that will be tough to pull off on film, I suspect" Evans

(I won't object if they leave off the epilogue).
    No dice. It has been revealed that not only will there be an epilogue, but it will be filmed with the young actors wearing makeup that makes them look older.

So, we will get Rupert Grint with tons of makeup caked on his face to give him wrinkles. Uuugh.

--Jason "I hate the epilogue because it ruins the chance for further adventures" Evans

... I wanted to respond to the point raised in the Potter thread about how the producers will split the final two films -- ... where do you split the Deathly Hallows?

My suggestion is that the first part should end with the capture of Harry, Ron and Hermione in the forest and their transfer to Malfoy Hall.

That still leaves plenty of key sequences for the first half:

-- The long, discouraging wanderings through the wildness (hopefully covered in a quick montage), ending with Ron's departure...
    Actually, I see the next movie being like Randall's portrayal in Clerks II of the Ring Trilogy. Just a bunch of walking.

Guess I'm the only one here who thought the past 3 Harry Potters have been the best of the series so far, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I think the film will end with Harry, kneeling next to Doby's grave at Shell cottage, debating Horcrux vs. Hallows and then standing up and saying, "I know what to do now..."
    Every argument I here makes me think "yea, that's when they'll do it. Makes sense." But I think your spot really does make the most sense, from a cinematic perspective.

spoilers

OK, I FINALLY saw it this weekend, the longest I've waited to see one of the movies. I can't believe no one has mentioned the fact that in the movie, Ginny was the one who hid the HBP's potion book and not Harry. This means that Ginny will have to be present for the revelation of where Ravenclaw's diadem is. In the book, she wasn't in on any of the horcrux secrets.

Also, WHY do they cut out some scenes only to add scenes that DID NOT happen in the book and offer nothing to the story. I'm referring to the Death Eaters showing up at the Burrow and blowing it up. WHY?!?!??!?! Why add that scene at all? Why not have Dumbledore and Harry Disapparate in and out of Hogsmeade (and not add DD's line of that's the advantage of being me) and have them see the Dark Mark above Hogwarts when they get back from the cave. There were no other members of the Order there, so no battle in the tower, no mention of Bill being attacked by Greyback. I, too, was disappointed that DD did not petrificus totalis Harry and throw the cloak over him. WHY did they have Snape see Harry on the tower?

All in all I really liked the movie, though. I'm just worried on how much of Deathly Hallows will be cut. And I'm pissed that they didn't cast Hugh Laurie as Xenophilius Lovegood or Angela Lansbury as Aunt Muriel.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    WHY did they have Snape see Harry on the tower?
    I hated that as it sorta eliminates the whole "is Snape good or bad?" debate. Bad Snape would have offed Harry. That scene makes it obvious that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders. Sigh.

Well, it is hard for any of us to be surprised at this point. After all, the movies are following the books pretty darn closely -- as they sorta have to.

--Jason "Ginny is not beautiful enough... sorry, but that is how I feel" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I hated that as it sorta eliminates the whole "is Snape good or bad?" debate. Bad Snape would have offed Harry. That scene makes it obvious that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders. Sigh.

--Jason "Ginny is not beautiful enough... sorry, but that is how I feel" Evans
    I agreed with you Jason--I thought the movie made it a lot more obvious that Snape was good (though I thought the book made it somewhat obvious as well.) However, my wife, who has never read past book four, could not believe that Snape turned on Dumbledore like he did. So maybe we are just cursed for having read the books before the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Guess I'm the only one here who thought the past 3 Harry Potters have been the best of the series so far, huh?
    At our house, the clear favorite of the movies is "Goblet of Fire," which seems to have an abundance of "something to please everyone"--including, among other things, games and competitions large (Quiddich World Cup) and small (Tri-Wizard Tournament), plenty of astonishing magic and mysteries, the humor and budding romances surrounding the ball, a few dashes of internal conflict and then reconciliation among the main protagonists, fresh new faces from the two visiting schools' students, the scary return of the Dark Lord and his minions, and, of course, recurring heroics throughout by HP to redeem himself from the resentment of his Hogwarts classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    So maybe we are just cursed for having read the books before the movie.
    If I remember correctly, the Order of the Phoenix movie came out just before the Deathly Hallows book. Meaning, at least for those of us who run out and see the movie immediately, that this was the first movie we've seen since finding out the ending. So, it is a little harder to watch with an open mind.

And actually, even if Snape were evil, he wouldn't have "offed" Harry on the tower, because, as he mentioned at the end when the bad guys were all running off into the forest, the Dark Lord wanted to kill Harry himself. In fact, the scene kind of made it seem worse, in that Harry was thinking Snape was on their side, Snape gives harry a shush sign, making Harry think that Snape is going to save Dumbledore, then he ends up killing him. Making Harry feel even worse b/c he could have stopped him if he'd known. Yeah, I wish DD had jinxed Harry. It would have made more sense than believing that Harry would just stand there.

And another thing . . . ALL Death Eaters can fly?!?
    Last edited by aimo; 07-27-2009 at 11:00 AM.