The Future of Duke Basketball

Everyone has doubted us after the results of the past 3 NCAA tournaments. Everyone thinks that Coach K will never be back to the promised land. But think about the glory that will be reinstated into Cameron in the following years: Seth Curry, Joshua Hairston, hopefully Harrison Barnes, Seth Curry, and Mason Plumlee. We'll be back to the final four multiple times with these players.

Don't forget about Andre Dawkins...

Interesting first post...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Glad to hear about the upcoming multiple final fours.

yeah slipped my mind. i don't know how i forgot about Dawkins.

Lightbulb Interesting

Final Fours are in our Future there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Next years Final Four location....Indianapolis...dare I toss out the year 1991? Where we were again doubted...Coincidence? Maybe...Destiny...I think so.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I'd definitely take two Seth Currys.

Well, Duke University has been renowned in their research of cloning.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Your comment shows more restraint than I feel! I guess that "glory" slipped out a side door of Cameron when I wasn't looking....

Let's play nice, folks! No need to jump on people (that's what the PP Board is for).

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue225 View Post
    Everyone has doubted us after the results of the past 3 NCAA tournaments. Everyone thinks that Coach K will never be back to the promised land. But think about the glory that will be reinstated into Cameron in the following years: Seth Curry, Joshua Hairston, hopefully Harrison Barnes, Seth Curry, and Mason Plumlee. We'll be back to the final four multiple times with these players.
    Not trying to be mean, but watch terms like "everyone". Please exclude me from "everyone". I have never doubted Coach K. Otherwise a very interesting post.

I understand the giddy. Trust me, I do. But multiple Final Fours just aren't a sure thing, regardless of the talent.

In a four-year period earlier this decade Duke signed Daniel Ewing, J.J. Redick, Shelden Williams, Shavlik Randolph, Sean Dockery, Michael Thompson, Luol Deng, Kris Humphries, DeMarcus Nelson, and Shaun Livingston, along with some role players. It's tough to have a better recruiting run than that.

Duke got one FF during that period.

Being nationally competitive year-after-year is a realistic goal. But making the FF requires some luck and sometimes the luck gods give their blessings elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBD View Post
    Not trying to be mean, but watch terms like "everyone". Please exclude me from "everyone". I have never doubted Coach K. Otherwise a very interesting post.
    I agree. I also find it continuously amusing and continuously amazing that -- especially during DBR’s off-season posting period -- a thirty-win, Sweet Sixteen, ACC Championship season can somehow be perceived as “lacking.” Obviously, we all wish 2008-2009 could have resulted in a Final Four appearance or even a National Championship; however, the last campaign’s results can hardly be viewed as unacceptable. That alone should indicate what rarefied performance stature has become both the norm and the expectation for Duke Men’s Basketball.

Henry Ford II, nicknamed "The Deuce," had a saying that was legendary in Detroit, "Never complain, never explain." This came to mind after reading that the (with luck) next great Dawkins might be heading to Duke sooner rather than later.

Sounds like Coach K has matters firmly in hand, as opposed to the hand-wringing teeth-gnashers that sometimes fluster in here and start yowling at the moon.
    Chelax folks, K is on the job.

Trust me i never doubted Coach K and i thought this year was a complete success. by "everyone" i mean the media, unc fans, and people involved throughout college basketball. and i do too think Cameron remains the Mecca of all college basketball

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I understand the giddy. Trust me, I do. But multiple Final Fours just aren't a sure thing, regardless of the talent.

In a four-year period earlier this decade Duke signed Daniel Ewing, J.J. Redick, Shelden Williams, Shavlik Randolph, Sean Dockery, Michael Thompson, Luol Deng, Kris Humphries, DeMarcus Nelson, and Shaun Livingston, along with some role players. It's tough to have a better recruiting run than that.

Duke got one FF during that period.

Being nationally competitive year-after-year is a realistic goal. But making the FF requires some luck and sometimes the luck gods give their blessings elsewhere.
    Yep, a great collection of talent doesn't always equal FF run. But I can understand the frustration of some fans and why some would view the successes of this past season as not so great. With UNC going to 2 straight FF's, 3 in 5 years, and UCLA going to 3 straight it's easy to get on the mindset that 30 wins, ACC Championship, and a Sweet 16 isn't good when you're always comparing to other programs. Personally I thought we had a very good season in 08-09, not many teams in the history of Duke basketball won 30 games.

The future of Duke Basketball simply put:

With Coach K at the helm---outstanding
    After Coach K---very good; he's a once-in-a-lifetime coach (no disrespect to Coach Bubas), but Duke is a great basketball school.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue225 View Post
    Trust me i never doubted Coach K and i thought this year was a complete success. by "everyone" i mean the media, unc fans, and people involved throughout college basketball. and i do too think Cameron remains the Mecca of all college basketball
    The Mecca? I think you'd get a lot of opposition for that statement - especially from about 10 miles down the road.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 07-16-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling

I think Coach K is coaching better than ever. It's probably a lot easier to coach when you have talent like '90, '91', '99, '01, or that team down the road last year. Now when you don't have a squad loaded with all the best players in the country you have to really coach to win 25+ games and an ACC championship year in and year out, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I think Coach K is coaching better than ever. It's probably a lot easier to coach when you have talent like '90, '91', '99, '01, or that team down the road last year. Now when you don't have a squad loaded with all the best players in the country you have to really coach to win 25+ games and an ACC championship year in and year out, imo.
    All you have to do is look at Wake Forest's season last year...