Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID

Stupidest Products of All Time

Sometimes you just stumble across a link and just have to sit back and say "Oh my" and nothing else. I think this link is one of those...
    The products

Banana Slicer

I was in the grocery store yesterday and they had a display of banana slicers for sale in the produce department next to the bananas. That would be just about the stupidest kitchen tool I've ever seen. Is it really that difficult to slice a banana? What's amazing to me is that someone actually invented this thing and was able to find a manufacturer and distributor and buyer for the product.

My personal favorite is the Pet Flowbee. This is in part because it had one of the best infomercials ever. Or so it seemed, one night in the KA section, around 2AM.

But who was thinking, ya know what dogs love more than being groomed? Vacuums!!! Let's put them together for a big winner!

Seriously? I think a cat getting vacuumed would lead to much more hilarity.

Quote Originally Posted by dairedevil View Post
    I was in the grocery store yesterday and they had a display of banana slicers for sale in the produce department next to the bananas. That would be just about the stupidest kitchen tool I've ever seen. Is it really that difficult to slice a banana? What's amazing to me is that someone actually invented this thing and was able to find a manufacturer and distributor and buyer for the product.
    Go to the Amazon site and read the reviews for the banana slicer. You will fear for the future of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    My personal favorite is the Pet Flowbee. This is in part because it had one of the best infomercials ever. Or so it seemed, one night in the KA section, around 2AM.

But who was thinking, ya know what dogs love more than being groomed? Vacuums!!! Let's put them together for a big winner!
    Back in the day, I was tempted by the Pet Flowbee. I resisted, since my dog at the time, a beagle, didn't need a haircut.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Okay, so let's throw out the fact that any product that makes money cannot be considered stupid. Making money on the stupidity of others makes the world go 'round. That said, I lost my last grain of hope for humanity when the pet rock made it big. If only Billy Mays was there to pitch them!

GLH-9 Hair in Can Spray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcM9g4k_YI

Ron Popeil was a genius of sorts, and certainly a pioneer, but this product which was basically spray-painting bald spots was totally ridiculous.

Ron Popeil was an amazing pitchman from the not too recent past. He was also an entrepreneur -- all of the Ronco products were part of his empire. In 1996 he wroe a book called Salesman of the Century which I once listened to on an audio tape while driving cross country. It was hilarious and kept me awake during a long western trip. Billy Mays and Tony Sullivan probably learned at his lap.

I'd have to say Vista was up there....

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    The Segway

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing will ever top the stupidity displayed by Coca-Cola and their expense and efforts to deploy "New Coke".

"New Coke"

Wasn't new Coke a result of an expiring patent?
    Apologies if I am remembering this wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Nothing. Nothing. Nothing will ever top the stupidity displayed by Coca-Cola and their expense and efforts to deploy "New Coke".
    I thought it was all about replacing sugar with corn syrup in "coke classic".

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Ummm... Crystal Pepsi?

Okay, per Pepsi's usual against Coke, it's a distant second...

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Okay, so let's throw out the fact that any product that makes money cannot be considered stupid. Making money on the stupidity of others makes the world go 'round. That said, I lost my last grain of hope for humanity when the pet rock made it big. If only Billy Mays was there to pitch them!
    I caught my pet rock in the wild and tamed it. No store bought pet rock for me. I wonder whatever happened to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    The Segway
    no way...awesome machine...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I caught my pet rock in the wild and tamed it. No store bought pet rock for me. I wonder whatever happened to it?
    Maybe it turned feral and joined the other rocks back in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe it turned feral and joined the other rocks back in the wild?
    That's probably it. I think I tried to get it current on its shots so it could leave Korea but the needles kept breaking. Therefore, I practiced catch and release with it.