Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers

One of the big things to keep in mind is that Rivers will have to decommit from UF before K will do anything (i.e. offering). So while I am being cautiously optimistic and saying this is great news there are some major steps that Rivers needs to take before anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    From what you say, I was more than a little inaccurate. I still think that, as a Dad, I would prefer my son to play for and be molded by Mike Krzyzewski than anyone else.

I remember the story about the recruitment of Grant Hill, when K asked Tommy Amaker and Billy King to take Grant and his Dad on a campus tour. Calvin was blown away by those young men and how poised and professional they had become after time at Duke and with Coach K. Didn't hurt the recruiting either.

sagegrouse
    Completely agree with you - I would love to have a future kid of mine be taught by K or someone of equal moral standards / upbringing.

I know this is really cheesy (I'll be the first to point that out), but your post made me associate Coach K with Special K. I haven't been around DBR for too long, but I'm surprised that in my time here not many people have brought up the comparison. The parallels between the two are staggering - they are both good for you, both look out after your well-being, and having two helpings a day will make you more fit. You think Sean May would be a fatty had he been playing for Coach "Special" K? I think not...

Let's not forget that Shelden Williams might be helping Coach K's cause on a daily basis...

I like how the title of this thread has been edited to remove the "rumor?????"

Momentum

It is crazy how fast recruiting momentum can pick up! It seems like just the other day the sky was falling now there is so much to be excited about! This has been a good month lets hope this carries on.

The Rivers interview linked on the main page is one of the most encouraging Duke basketball related things I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Just a thought...Would you start these two together? IMO the speed of our game would be very tempting to do so, but in the end I would have to go with a little more height on our perimeter.

Irving
    Smith
    Dawkins
    Singler
    MPII

Bench:
    Curry
    Rivers
    MPI
    Kelly
    Hairston
    Thornton
    Olek

I am going to leave HB out of this. We would have the deepest team in the country...hands down. This makes me think about PT. But I would assume that K has advertised to all these recruits...and eventually could to Austin Rivers if he decides to de-commit...that all statistical categories aside, you could be part of a National Championship team next year.
    Rivers is class of 2011. Both Nolan and Kyle would have graduated by then.

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    Rivers is class of 2011. Both Nolan and Kyle would have graduated by then.
    Ya I just caught that one. Know wonder we would have been the deepest team in the country...haha

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    It is crazy how fast recruiting momentum can pick up! It seems like just the other day the sky was falling now there is so much to be excited about! This has been a good month lets hope this carries on.
    That is so true. I am very excited about the future of Duke Basketball. Seeing all these great recruits we could land. keyword Could

Austin Rivers

All Doc or Austin have to do is ask Shelden Williams who is now a Celtic how great his experiences were at Duke and how great Coach K was to play for.

I believe he de-commits to Florida after Kyrie commits this weekend to Duke.
    The Terrapin Assassin

I loved the interview. Especially when he compared Duke and Florida. It seems like a no brainer that basketball wise he is better off here.

I am almost

unable to believe the turn recruiting has taken in the last few days. Are we now a hot spot again? Does anyone have insight into what changed the minds of these guys? I mean, Duke, Coach K, the facilities, etc haven't changed in the last 2-3 years. Why the sudden shift.

(by the way, I don't care what it is, I just hope it continues)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    unable to believe the turn recruiting has taken in the last few days. Are we now a hot spot again? Does anyone have insight into what changed the minds of these guys? I mean, Duke, Coach K, the facilities, etc haven't changed in the last 2-3 years. Why the sudden shift.
    WWJ - World Wide Jumbo.

We got our Kavorka back.

(And Nate James and Chris Carrawell are new, too.)

I'll agree that Nate and C-Well certainly have given the staff some added youth and connectivity to a lot of these guys. I'd also venture that K's selfiprofessed renewed enthusiasm following the Olympics has certainly contributed (Remember K at the Wake game in Cameron this year? Imagine that kind of enthusiasm on the recruiting trail!). Also, there are a lot of "Duke kids" in these two classes. Kyrie, Harrison, Austin Rivers, they all seem like the classic guys that are used to recruiting.

Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't stop for a long, long time...

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    That is so true. I am very excited about the future of Duke Basketball. Seeing all these great recruits we could land. keyword Could
    its great to be excited about the possiblities of players duke could have...im going to be excited once they commit to play at duke!

We did add the practice facility, right? That's kind of a big deal. Throw in Nate James and Carrawell. It also seems like Coach K has changed his recruiting strategy and is also putting more energy into it than he was previously. Plus, I think you have to look at a guy like Andre Dawkins that makes Duke look cool again to other recruits (which brings in other people like Thornton and Hairston). When other recruits start to notice that Duke is getting attention and positive comments from guys like John Wall and others that wouldn't previously have considered Duke, it all gives Duke a lot of momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I'll agree that Nate and C-Well certainly have given the staff some added youth and connectivity to a lot of these guys. I'd also venture that K's selfiprofessed renewed enthusiasm following the Olympics has certainly contributed (Remember K at the Wake game in Cameron this year? Imagine that kind of enthusiasm on the recruiting trail!). Also, there are a lot of "Duke kids" in these two classes. Kyrie, Harrison, Austin Rivers, they all seem like the classic guys that are used to recruiting.

Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't stop for a long, long time...
    Actually Irving said in the live webcast last night that he mostly talks with coach Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    I loved the interview. Especially when he compared Duke and Florida. It seems like a no brainer that basketball wise he is better off here.
    There were actually two Austin Rivers articles on that link site

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...ruiting-world/

"When asked if he had a timetable for a decision, Rivers said, “I don’t know to be honest. I just want to be able to relax and I’m just concentrating on Florida and Duke. I could possibly get it over with right away. I could possibly say that Florida is the place for me or I could say that I want to go to Duke. One big thing is that I want to see who commits where so I can see who I’ll be playing with. That will weigh heavy.”"

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...s-loving-duke/

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Actually Irving said in the live webcast last night that he mostly talks with coach Collins.
    I was talking big picture.