Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    So would Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers both agree to play at Duke? Maybe this will encourage one of them to hurry up and commit. I've been pretty excited about the prospects of Irving. I hope this development will not impede Irving's apparent excitement. I am a firm believer that a huge PG committment is our most important need right now.
    Rivers is in the Class of 2011 and plays SG. It doesn't really affect Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I've heard the same rumor from a very impeachable source

I'll believe it when he signs a LOI and then actually shows up on campus to begin classes (for summer school).
    Ozzie, have you also heard that this visit would be taking place very soon this month? I may or may not have heard that...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Ozzie, have you also heard that this visit would be taking place very soon this month? I may or may not have heard that...
    http://duke.scout.com/2/898254.html

Rivers and his parents will visit Duke next week per this (premium) article from John Watson at TDD.

I don't have premium but not much of a tease in this link that directly states Rivers is visiting Duke next weekend

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...2%26c%3d898254

I started reading after exercising link in OP from page 1 not realizing it was old, and it is on front page of scout site.

...looks like the secret is out. Good stuff. You got it K.

I hope the various premium subscribers and those with more inside connections than I know more than I... but as an "outsider", I'm a little confused about the respective chatter around the Rivers and Beal situations. I'll save my Beal confusion for his thread, but is there a reason (secret or non-secret) to think we're in good shape with Rivers?

The only specifics I've heard are that he's committed to Florida but he's visiting some other high-profile schools (possibly at his father's urging), he was at once point recruiting Beal to join him at UF, and that Duke is one of these high-profile schools he is visiting. Is there reason beyond that to think he has a particularly strong interest in Duke? Because to me, as someone with no inside knowledge of the situation, Duke just seems like an obligatory, big-name recruiting stop for a kid who's trying to reassure himself he committed to the right place. Hopefully I'm wrong?

What's the latest News

Isn't Austin on campus this weekend? Anybody hearing anything?

Subscription... but sounds like it went "awesome": http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&...%2f900785.html

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Subscription... but sounds like it went "awesome": http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&...%2f900785.html
    Sure does

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    Isn't Austin on campus this weekend? Anybody hearing anything?
    I've read both the Rivals and Scout articles and now see why people have been optimistic about landing this kid. He sounds in love with Duke. The quotes from those articles make me want to bet on Rivers to Duke. The visit couldn't have gone better.

Is there any way Rivers could be a recruited non-scholarship player as a freshman (a la Melchionni)?

The reason I ask is that I would love for Duke to land Rivers, Q. Miller, B. Beal, and Marshall Plumnee, but there would only be 3 scholarships available if Duke lands Barnes/Roscoe Smith and Irving. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but the dominoes are about to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I've read both the Rivals and Scout articles and now see why people have been optimistic about landing this kid. He sounds in love with Duke. The quotes from those articles make me want to bet on Rivers to Duke. The visit couldn't have gone better.

Is there any way Rivers could be a recruited non-scholarship player as a freshman (a la Melchionni)?

The reason I ask is that I would love for Duke to land Rivers, Q. Miller, B. Beal, and Marshall Plumnee, but there would only be 3 scholarships available if Duke lands Barnes/Roscoe Smith and Irving. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but the dominoes are about to fall.
    I'm sure typing Plumnee instead of Plumlee was a typo.

I wouldn't worry about not having enough scholarships if everyone signs - that always seems to work itself out, one way or another.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

There's no way Rivers would do that. Why would he? We're not going to land all of those guys. I don't see Beal and Rivers playing together with the other SGs we'll have (Dawkins, Curry...).

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    There's no way Rivers would do that. Why would he? We're not going to land all of those guys. I don't see Beal and Rivers playing together with the other SGs we'll have (Dawkins, Curry...).
    I'd love to.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    You say we won't get all those guys, but most would say we are at the top of all those players' lists. Also Rivers and Beal are good friends and there were rumors that they wanted to play together. And I don't think paying Duke's tuition for one year is a financial problem for the Rivers' family.

You say we won't get all those guys, but most would say we are at the top of all those players' lists. Also Rivers and Beal are good friends and there were rumors that they wanted to play together. And I don't think paying Duke's tuition for one year is a financial problem for the Rivers' family.
    Okay, well as soon as we land all of them except Rivers and have no available scholarships, we can worry about that.

Edit: I want to land all of these guys just as much as the rest of you, but I just don't see it happening in that exact scenario.

I just read the article on Rivals it was great! I would not be surprised if he decided to come to Duke. On the flip side of that I would not be surprised if he stayed committed to Florida. He sounds excited about the school and the direction the program is going. I think the recruiting momentum is helping.

Talking

Totally agree. Why wouldn't they pay his way to be part of a very special and deep, may I prognosticate National Championship team!

answer

Because paying upwards of about 50 grand, as opposed to having a free ride somewhere else, is not so appealing. Duh.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Because paying upwards of about 50 grand, as opposed to having a free ride somewhere else, is not so appealing. Duh.

ricks
    None of this matters. There will be a scholarship open if Rivers wants it...

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post

ricks
    I don't think Doc Rivers' son really needs to be concerned about the cost of attending college...
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa