Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 106

Thread: Austin Rivers

  1. #1

    Austin Rivers

    Sorry in advance mods if this is inappropriate.

    Scout.com has a link to the forum on their homepage that says....."Big time Florida commit to visit Duke???"

    Boynton back in play?????

    Hate to start rumors but it is the middle of summer.


    http://scouthoops.scout.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    I do not subscribe to Scout so saying this is not divulging confidential info...

    They are talking about Austin Rivers, one of the top players in the class of 2011 and Doc Rivers son. He committed to Florida very early. There is talk he is re-opening his recruitment and wants to take a look at Duke.

    -Jason
    Don't ask me why, but my mother is making me Tweet. Says it will be good for my career. So, follow my ramblings, mostly on the film industry, @TVFilmTalk

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I do not subscribe to Scout so saying this is not divulging confidential info...

    They are talking about Austin Rivers, one of the top players in the class of 2011 and Doc Rivers son. He committed to Florida very early. There is talk he is re-opening his recruitment and wants to take a look at Duke.

    -Jason
    Thanks for the information Jason. He's a 6'3" PG ranked as the #1 PG and #3 overall by scout (behind only Michael Gilchrist and 6'8" Duke-target James McAdoo). Intriguing...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Scrap Metal Hill
    Austin Rivers, International Man of Mystery. Shagadelic, baby!!

  5. #5
    Wow, two positive recruiting stories (rumors) in one day. First this and then the Nate Lubick thing.

    Andre Dawkins must be working hard!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Evaluation
    May, 2009: Rivers showed why he is one of the top players in the Class of 2011 (Nike Memorial Day Classic). He was out of sync playing with Brandon Knight in the first couple of games, during which it seemed both players were trying to assert themselves as the alpha dog. Once everything settled down, Rivers began to dominate the opposition with his scoring and playmaking ability. When he started looking to set up his teammates, his unselfishness became contagious and the team got on a roll. He still settled for the 21-foot jumper, which he can make at times, too often without any passes when the defense sagged. He has a great in-between game -- as good as any prospect in the nation -- shooting floaters over the big guys. Rivers can get to the rim, draw contact and finish. He is impatient, at times, on defense and gambles, which gets him into foul trouble. He understands the game -- as you would expect from Doc Rivers' son -- loves to compete and is fearless in tight situations.
    This could get interesting. Doc Rivers is a big time NBA guy and Austin's commitment is only verbal right now...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    This could get interesting. Doc Rivers is a big time NBA guy and Austin's commitment is only verbal right now...
    How great would it be to have Austin Rivers i don't know but i also don't think he is a one and done due to his father and he is a great player so that would be great if we can get him

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    This could get interesting. Doc Rivers is a big time NBA guy and Austin's commitment is only verbal right now...
    An instance where Coach K's Olympic involvement and good reputation with NBA players and coaches is a big plus?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    How great would it be to have Austin Rivers i don't know but i also don't think he is a one and done due to his father and he is a great player so that would be great if we can get him
    If all the kids that are called "one and done" actually go pro after 1 year in college, the NBA draft will be all 19-20 year olds and that ain't gonna happen.

    Some may go, but how many went this year, last year? How many rising sophomores have been drafted into the NBA? Not a lot...in the big scheme of things.

    In reality, very few of these guys will be ready for pro ball after one year. Many may well not be ready to significantly contribute in college as freshmen. Expectations are usually way over the top.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    An instance where Coach K's Olympic involvement and good reputation with NBA players and coaches is a big plus?
    Today on the Dan Patrick Show Dwayne Wade was interviewed - much of the talk centered on the free agent signings that are going on all around. He was asked about whether he'd like to play with LeBron and multiple times said he had never played with him and it would be crazy/amazing to do so.

    Were they not on the same team winning gold in Beijing just a year ago? Read into it what you like, but it left me thinking that Olympic competition just doesn't have the same importance attached to it as it used to back when everyone was an amateur (or when Western countries fielded true amateurs against the pros-in-all-but-name of the Eastern bloc).

    I kept hoping to hear DWade mention something about having played with LeBron under Coach K, but it never came up.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Today on the Dan Patrick Show Dwayne Wade was interviewed - much of the talk centered on the free agent signings that are going on all around. He was asked about whether he'd like to play with LeBron and multiple times said he had never played with him and it would be crazy/amazing to do so.

    Were they not on the same team winning gold in Beijing just a year ago? Read into it what you like, but it left me thinking that Olympic competition just doesn't have the same importance attached to it as it used to back when everyone was an amateur (or when Western countries fielded true amateurs against the pros-in-all-but-name of the Eastern bloc).

    I kept hoping to hear DWade mention something about having played with LeBron under Coach K, but it never came up.
    I don't know why Wade said that, but I don't think too many people would argue with you if you said the Olympics are not as important as they used to be, both in basketball and in general. For one, there are numerous international basketball events taking place, heck they just had an U-16 international competition, there is the U-19 and World University Games plus a host of others. Not to mention, the NBA and college basketball both have high numbers of international players. The Olympics, while still an honor, are not viewed as important as it used to be.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    I don't know why Wade said that, but I don't think too many people would argue with you if you said the Olympics are not as important as they used to be, both in basketball and in general. For one, there are numerous international basketball events taking place, heck they just had an U-16 international competition, there is the U-19 and World University Games plus a host of others. Not to mention, the NBA and college basketball both have high numbers of international players. The Olympics, while still an honor, are not viewed as important as it used to be.
    I can't remember an Olympic basketball competition that was any bigger than Beijing 2008, other than perhaps the original Dream Team in 1992.

    Huge audiences, huge interest in the host country, and the big story about whether the USA could reclaim the top spot.

    The US players and coaches made a major commitment to this event.

    Didn't hear the Dwayne Wade interview; it would be interesting to ask him directly about the Olympic experience and how it ranks in his basketball experience.

    But the Olympics sure looked important to the US players leading up to and during the event.
    Last edited by roywhite; 07-10-2009 at 07:39 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    I'm sure Wade is simply referring to playing with Lebron in an NBA sense. I wouldn't read too much into that.

    However, Austin's name has been popping up a lot this summer...

  14. #14
    Yea idk what Dwade is talking about because he played with lebron in allstar games as well as olympics but hey whatever.

    And yea Austin would make duke a even better team if he came in 2011

    Picture this:
    Barnes
    Dawkins
    Thorton
    Hairston
    Rivers
    Plumlee's(even Marshall)
    Kelly
    and
    Curry

    That seems like a great team i would just say i would like to see one more big man, maybe a Josh Smith or James McAdoo

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Yea idk what Dwade is talking about because he played with lebron in allstar games as well as olympics but hey whatever.

    And yea Austin would make duke a even better team if he came in 2011

    Picture this:
    Barnes
    Dawkins
    Thorton
    Hairston
    Rivers
    Plumlee's(even Marshall)
    Kelly
    and
    Curry

    That seems like a great team i would just say i would like to see one more big man, maybe a Josh Smith or James McAdoo
    Please don't start this because we all know it is not going to end up this way. People were doing the "picture this roster" with Wall, Henderson, Williams, and co. and look where were at now. Just saying.
    Anyway, this is a great for Austin Rivers. This kid can flat out ball and I have been wondering why he would commit to Florida SO early when Billy Donovan's name is swirling around coaching vacancies every year. Take your time Austin, come to Duke and play some ball with Seth and co. You'll like it.

  16. #16
    just watched a few highlight videos of the kid and he has a very very good all around game. he has very quick hands on defense and seems to be very good on offense too. i would love to see him in duke blue!!!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post

    Please don't start this because we all know it is not going to end up this way. People were doing the "picture this roster" with Wall, Henderson, Williams, and co. and look where were at now. Just saying.
    Anyway, this is a great for Austin Rivers. This kid can flat out ball and I have been wondering why he would commit to Florida SO early when Billy Donovan's name is swirling around coaching vacancies every year. Take your time Austin, come to Duke and play some ball with Seth and co. You'll like it.
    It's fine to ponder the possibilities, just don't get your hopes up b/c a lot has to happen. At this point it makes more sense to concentrate on Austin as a player with a great pedigree - something were used to at Duke.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    So I am hearing that a visit might be on the horizon. Is this just a rumor or has anybody found confirmation of this (link?)?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    So I am hearing that a visit might be on the horizon. Is this just a rumor or has anybody found confirmation of this (link?)?
    I've heard the same rumor from a very impeachable source

    I'll believe it when he signs a LOI and then actually shows up on campus to begin classes (for summer school).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  20. #20
    So would Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers both agree to play at Duke? Maybe this will encourage one of them to hurry up and commit. I've been pretty excited about the prospects of Irving. I hope this development will not impede Irving's apparent excitement. I am a firm believer that a huge PG committment is our most important need right now.

Similar Threads

  1. Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3104
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
  2. Cut lands 3-star LB Austin Gamble
    By El_Diablo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
  3. WR Austin Kelly looks ahead to Navy
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
  4. Austin restaurant suggestions?
    By JMorgan99 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •