Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ACC baseball changes

ACC press release.

Most interesting.

GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship will be held at NewBridge Bank Park in Greensboro, N.C. (2012), and the Durham Bulls Athletic Park (2011, 2013), as announced today by ACC Commissioner John Swofford. This will give the championship a home through 2013, as it was recently released that the 2010 ACC Baseball Championship would be held in Greensboro, N.C.

The 2011-13 championships were originally awarded to Myrtle Beach. The ACC’s decision to hold the tournament in this location was made with the stipulation that discussions be held, and agreements made, with all local and state organizations that had voiced concerns over the confederate flag being flown on the state grounds of the South Carolina State Capitol.

Since 2000, the conference has supported the NAACP’s statements concerning the flag issue and followed the NCAA’s policy of not holding pre-determined championships in the state of South Carolina. In 2005, the conference presidents agreed that the ACC would be willing to consider awarding league championships to venues in the state of South Carolina on a case-by-case basis, provided that the host-site proposal included a plan to work with the NAACP at the local and state levels to ensure a proper environment.

“Our baseball committee and institutional administrators awarded the championships to Myrtle Beach with the understanding that the event had the blessings of all parties within the state of South Carolina. It has become clear this was not the case,” stated ACC Commissioner John Swofford. “It’s unfortunate that this miscommunication occurred and since the original announcement, we have had productive conversations with members of the NAACP. In the end, given the conference’s commitment to diversity, equality and human rights, our institutions have determined that this change should be made.”

With the recent success of the 2009 ACC Baseball Championship in Durham and the announcement of the partnership with Greensboro to host the 2010 ACC Baseball Championship, the league has reached agreements for Durham to host the event in 2011 and 2013 with Greensboro hosting in 2012.

“We appreciate both Durham and Greensboro’s commitment to hosting future ACC Baseball Championships,” said Swofford. “The Durham Bulls Athletic Park and NewBridge Bank Park are both first-class facilities found in the heart of the ACC footprint. We feel fortunate that over the next four years, our teams will be able to complete for an ACC Title in two of the top-rated minor league parks in the country.”

NewBridge Bank Park is located in downtown Greensboro, N.C., and opened its gates to a crowd of 8,540 on April 3, 2005 with an exhibition game between the Class-A Greensboro Grasshoppers and its major-league parent club Florida Marlins. Built at an original construction cost of $21.5 million, the state-of-the-art facility features a 30-foot wide, open-air concourse and 36 concession points of sale, a child-safe play park and the second largest video board in the minor leagues.

Seating capacity currently stands at 7,499, which includes 5,300 chair back seats, 16 luxury suites and two grass banks, as well as picnic areas. Baseball America recently rated NewBridge Bank Park the top stadium in the South Atlantic League and the No. 8 overall minor league stadium nationally.

The Durham Bulls Athletic Park is a 10,000-seat downtown stadium and home to the city's Triple-A team. The ACC Baseball Championship has been held in Durham on six earlier occasions, with four of them being played at the DBAP. In addition to the 2009 event, the Championship was also played there in 1996, 1998 and 1999. Durham Athletic Park, the previous home to the city's minor league team and the primary setting for the movie "Bull Durham," welcomed the ACC in 1984 and 1986.

Built at an initial cost of $16 million, Durham Bulls Athletic Park opened in 1995 and was designed by HOK Sport, whose many projects include Baltimore's Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Cleveland's Jacobs Field, Colorado's Coors Field and the Carolina Panthers' Bank of America Stadium.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baseb...sebl-body.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good for the ACC, nice to see them take that stance. Hopefully when the state of S.C realizes the revenue they are losing they will rethink their policies. I'm assuming Myrtle was a rmoney first choice, since they aren't close to any ACC schools. They must have assumed the beach would have been the draw as well as the sport to pull in fans. Greensboro and Durham are logical being where they are (always worked for basketball).
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wink Lotsa Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hopefully when the state of S.C realizes the revenue they are losing they will rethink their policies.
    As a native of South Caolina, albeit long gone, I think I am entitled to make the following observations:

(a) The state started the Civil War with little prospect of success, leading to a half century or more of economic ruin.

(b) The current Governor (altho' not for long) just tried to sequester $694 million of education funds from the Stimulus Bill that would help a very poor educational system. The state courts just said he couldn't.

I would be surprised if the loss of 100K or so from the ACC baseball tournament had any effect.

The only thing where practicality ruled in the South was the liberalization of liquor laws 20-30 years ago at the behest of the hotel, restaurant and tourism industry. I think it would take action at that level -- conventions refusing to come to SC until the Confederate flag comes down from the State Capitol grounds. The funny thing is that South Carolina's state flag has existed since the Revolutionary War, the crescent traditional and the palmetto linked to the victory over the British at Sullivan's Island. Other Deep South states, during the era of massive resistance to integration, junked their old flags and took up Conferate replicas. (Someone else will have to help me identify those states.) South Carolina did not.

sagegrouse
    'WRT to liquor laws, in the Charleston of my youth, as in New Orleans years ago, bars and restaurants would serve anyone, regardless of age.'
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 07-06-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added the SC flag background

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I would be surprised if the loss of 100K or so from the ACC baseball tournament had any effect.
    It's not just this tournament that will make a difference, it's a general economic boycott by several groups. I'm happy to see the ACC taking a small role in a larger movement.
    Also, it would be far more than 100K. That might be what the tournament would generate for the tourney site, but the revenue lost by the Myrtle Beach community will be in the millions.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

the flag

It's possible that this thread needs to move to the Public Policy Board.

As long as it's here, let me say that I salute the ACC for taking a stance on this issue. As long as South Carolina continues to fly that symbol of racism, oppression and treason over its capitol dome, the boycott should continue. Note: the practice of flying the confederate flag was adopted in 1962 to specifically protest federal desegregation efforts. And also note for those who claim it is a historical symbol (of what, slavery?), they don't fly the real confederate flag, they fly the confederate battle flag -- the symbol of the Ku Klux Klan, the skinheads and the German neo-nazis.

sagegrouse, I'm not sure how either of your (a) and (b) points apply to this debate. As for the claim that the $100,000 or so that was lost from the tournament is insignificant (and your estimate is wa-a-a-y low) ... the point is that it's not the loss of one event, but the sustained loss of hundreds, even thousands of conventions and sporting events over the time the boycott has been in effect. For a South Carolina perspective, you might want to check the Anderson Independent Mail bog:

http://www.independentmail.com/blogs...nfederate_acc/

Red face I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    sagegrouse, I'm not sure how either of your (a) and (b) points apply to this debate. As for the claim that the $100,000 or so that was lost from the tournament is insignificant (and your estimate is wa-a-a-y low) ... the point is that it's not the loss of one event, but the sustained loss of hundreds, even thousands of conventions and sporting events over the time the boycott has been in effect. For a South Carolina perspective, you might want to check the Anderson Independent Mail bog:

http://www.independentmail.com/blogs...nfederate_acc/
    I suppose the point in my rambling post is that it will take a protracted campaign to force changes in my native state. Lest there be any doubt, I hope it occurs.

sagegrouse