Thread: Toney Douglas

Toney Douglas

Unfortuneately I have been a Knick fan for too many years that I can remember. On draft night they drafted Tony Douglas from Florida State. I read that he was voted the defensive player of the year in the ACC...is that correct?

I really have no recollection about him.

If anyone can give me some thoughts about him, I would appreciate it. Will he make a decent pro ? Can he play the point or is he strictly a shooting guard ? How good is he ? Can he play in D'Antonni's system ?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Unfortuneately I have been a Knick fan for too many years that I can remember. On draft night they drafted Tony Douglas from Florida State. I read that he was voted the defensive player of the year in the ACC...is that correct?

I really have no recollection about him.
    If anyone can give me some thoughts about him, I would appreciate it. Will he make a decent pro ? Can he play the point or is he strictly a shooting guard ? How good is he ? Can he play in D'Antonni's system ?

Thank you
    Did you watch any ACC games this past year? Toney Douglas was a near-unanimous selection for All-ACC 1st team. He is an excellent scorer with good shooting range, a good on the ball defender who gets plenty of steals, and a really tough competitor.

As a pro? Not a pure PG, and not very tall for a SG. But he is a good overall player; should help some, and may develop.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Did you watch any ACC games this past year? Toney Douglas was a near-unanimous selection for All-ACC 1st team. He is an excellent scorer with good shooting range, a good on the ball defender who gets plenty of steals, and a really tough competitor.

As a pro? Not a pure PG, and not very tall for a SG. But he is a good overall player; should help some, and may develop.
    he'll fit very well into d'antoni's system...quick and can shoot on the wings in transition. and he can actually play D...now that'd be a d'antoni first ;-)

Douglas

Just to re-iterate:

-- First, it's Toney Douglas (not Tony)

-- Second, he was ACC defensive player of the year -- both by the media and by the coaches (he was a unanimous pick by the coaches). Coach K suggested that the was not just the best defender in the ACC, but the best in the nation.

-- He was the ACC's leading scorer, averaging 21.5 ppg (16th in the NCAA). He averaged 23.1 against the ACC. He hit 38.5 percent of 221 3-point attempts and led his team in assists (although just 2.9 a game).

-- He was the second-leading vote-getter on the All-ACC team, missing unanimous by two votes (Hansbrough missed it by one vote, but was considered unanimous because the ACC "rounds up" ... but wouldn't round up for Douglas).

-- He finished second to Ty Lawson for ACC player of the year by a 31-27 vote. Interesting that he finished ahead of Hansbrough in the POY vote, but ahead of Lawson in the All-ACC vote.

I agree with the premise that he's not a true point guard and at 6-1, 200 he's a little short for the 2-guard. But he'll be a good situational player. He's strong, quick and he can get his shot off in traffic.

FWIW, Coach K loved him as a player.

IMO, he is going to be a surprisingly good player in the NBA... kind of a Rodney Stuckey type surprise in terms of talent and production

Excellent defender, low center of gravity, muscles, active feet, pick-pocket hands. Some clutch offense. When at Auburn - I think frosh year only - he was a scorer. Deferred to upper-class guards when he got to FSU, but blossomed this year into easy 1st-team All-ACC, and arguably co-CPOY with Lawson.

I'm a big Toney Douglas fan; but I got no clue about NBA.

Plus, he's a very nice, respectful young man. He was gracious in defeat at Cameron and politely accepted our compliments on his game when we saw him walk out of the lockeroom.
    A long overdue change of attitude is coming to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I agree with the premise that he's not a true point guard and at 6-1, 200 he's a little short for the 2-guard. But he'll be a good situational player. He's strong, quick and he can get his shot off in traffic.
    If Nate Robinson can thrive in D'Antoni's system, I think Toney Douglas can.

All you need to know is that this guy is lightning in a bottle...

As a Knick fan, I was very happy with the pick. The Knicks had the #8 pick in the draft, were focused on a point guard, and had their heart set on Steph Curry. However, as the positive workout buzz around Curry intensified and it looked like he'd be gone by #8, they knew they needed a back-up plan. So, they bought the Lakers late first round pick for cash. When Curry went #7, the decided to grab Jordan Hill from Arizona with the #8, likely in anticipation of David Lee getting a large free agent offer that they won't match due to 2010 salary cap considerations. They had Douglas in for a workout and he really impressed them. They felt it was a safe gamble that he'd still be around late in the first round and they were correct. I was hoping that he or Patty Miles would still be around. Douglas will be working closely with Chris Duhon...if the Knicks also lose Nate Robinson to restricted free agency, then both of my favorite basketball teams will have major shortages in the backcourt. The Knicks have Duhon, Douglas and Larry Hughes...that's it. I expect them to sign some cheap fillers so that Duhon isn't exhausted by March like he was last year. But, I agree with those who say that Douglas will bring some much needed defensive intensity to NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As a Knick fan, ... I expect them to sign some cheap fillers so that Duhon isn't exhausted by March like he was last year. But, I agree with those who say that Douglas will bring some much needed defensive intensity to NY.
    I suspect that you are not referring to Grant Hill as "cheap filler", if, in fact, he signs with the Knicks, which I hope he does.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com