Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    Niether Roscoe Smith or Josh Smith will be playing at Duke. IMO
    Thanks for setting us straight.

I try. No but really I know Josh Smith will stay out west. And I will be shocked if Roscoe Smith commits to us. Duke want's Barnes and Irving then they will focuse on 2011.

I try. No but really I know Josh Smith will stay out west. And I will be shocked if Roscoe Smith commits to us. Duke want's Barnes and Irving then they will focuse on 2011.
    Hey, if it all goes down like that, I think we'd all be VERY happy.

No Complaints

From me if we land HB and KI. But it sure would make me feel better if we had a shot at Smith in case we don't get Harrison. Too many is better than not enough. Go Duke!

Both Josh and Roscoe have offers but Duke is not recruiting them hard. I would be thrilled with Barnes and Irving. Then Duke could move on to Miller, MP3, and Rivers for 2011.

Both Josh and Roscoe have offers but Duke is not recruiting them hard. I would be thrilled with Barnes and Irving. Then Duke could move on to Miller, MP3, and Rivers for 2011.
    There is some debate on the offer situation for Roscoe at least and has actually been refuted by a number of in the know people on TDD. Nonetheless, consider this situation:

We get Harrison and Kyrie and Kyle stays. For the '10-'11 season we have:

Post Players
    MP1
    MP2

Tweeners
    Kyle Singler
    Harrison Barnes
    Ryan Kelly
    Josh Hairston
    Olek Czyz

Guards
    Nolan Smith
    Andre Dawkins
    Seth Curry
    Kyrie Irving
    Tyler Thornton

That's 12 guys out of 13 scholarships. If Kyle stays. We don't know how Czyz, Hairston, and the MPs will develop. Would it not be prudent of K and the staff to further solidify our tweeners with a commitment from Roscoe so as to alleviate any lack of development from one of these guys, especially if Kyle leaves? I would rather us get a sure thing in '10-'11 than wait for a maybe the next year, but that could just be me...

I was questioned as to why i would rather have RS then JS so i explained.

Yes I know I have also herd from reliable sources that he does not have an offer. It is a wierd situation but like I said I feel good about where Duke stands with Barnes. If Barnes commits to Duke which I think in the end he will I donīt see Roscoe comming to Duke I would rather have Quincy Miller in 2011 anyway this kid is going to be a stud.

Alright well look how are we saying were saving an offer for 2011 if we offered JS BK HB KI. Now I know only one point guard will likly come to Duke but that leaves two more so if JS does come that takes away our offer from 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    I was questioned as to why i would rather have RS then JS so i explained.
    I thought you wanted JS rather then(sic) RS. This is all getting very confusing.

Assuming that Duke signs 5 players this year, there will be 11 scholarship players for the 2011-12 season, before we count recruits.

There will be 5 sophomores, 4 juniors, and 2 seniors (Czyz and Miles), so there will be only 2 spots left. However, given the past history of transfers, no one should be surprised if someone decides to transfer due to lack of playing time. Besides, there is always a chance of one of the better players leaving early for the NBA. I am sure the coaches know whether there are players who are considering leaving the program, so I could definitely see the staff taking 3 more players this year, along with three guys in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I thought you wanted JS rather then(sic) RS. This is all getting very confusing.
    Yes, Yes i very sorry i meant JS rather then RS sorry again.

Okay I think Roscoe does not have an official offer but I believe it might be one of those situations where if he want's to come there may be a spott for him.

my take

If i understand the so-called consensus, Duke would be happy (thrilled actually) with Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving in the 2010 class. But, what happens if Roscoe Smith blows up during the year? I would think K, would then offer (a real offer) Roscoe, suppose Josh Smith, drops 35 lbs. and gets in shape and wants to come (stranger things have happened)? What about Brandon Knight, you see where i'm going with this? There are so many things that can and probably will happen before the season is over. Here's what i think (jmo) will happen, i believe we'll get Harrison Barnes, the reason, he's shown interest in Duke, above the norm. I also think we'll get Kyrie Irving, if we miss on Kyrie, we'll go hard after Knight. The key players in this scenario (to me) are Barnes and Quincy Miller. I believe those 2 players will lead us to great heights but, hey, jmo. I know no one has the answer but its what makes bball recruiting exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    If i understand the so-called consensus, Duke would be happy (thrilled actually) with Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving in the 2010 class. But, what happens if Roscoe Smith blows up during the year? I would think K, would then offer (a real offer) Roscoe, suppose Josh Smith, drops 35 lbs. and gets in shape and wants to come (stranger things have happened)? What about Brandon Knight, you see where i'm going with this? There are so many things that can and probably will happen before the season is over. Here's what i think (jmo) will happen, i believe we'll get Harrison Barnes, the reason, he's shown interest in Duke, above the norm. I also think we'll get Kyrie Irving, if we miss on Kyrie, we'll go hard after Knight. The key players in this scenario (to me) are Barnes and Quincy Miller. I believe those 2 players will lead us to great heights but, hey, jmo. I know no one has the answer but its what makes bball recruiting exciting.
    Verga, your post is way too rational for this thread. I can't even really wrap my head around it.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    There is some debate on the offer situation for Roscoe at least and has actually been refuted by a number of in the know people on TDD.
    1) Have any of those "in the know people on TDD" actually spoken with Roscoe Smith or his very protective father, Brian?

2) Do you think that any of those same people have received pertinent information directly from Krzyzewski, Wojciechowski, Collins, James, Carrawell or Spatola, with or without the knowledge that these same "in the know people on TDD" would then betray them by putting the program's recruiting information directly onto a public message board?

If Irving signs in the early period, I can't imagine any top point guards will have interest in Duke (Knight, McCallum, etc). The Wall/Bledsoe situation was pretty unique last year.

Also, everyone seems to think that Josh Smith is deciding between UCLA and Washington. I also wouldn't count on him losing 35 pounds since his weight gain and general sluggishness has caused his stock to fall more than just about any top recruit in the past few months.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    1) Have any of those "in the know people on TDD" actually spoken with Roscoe Smith or his very protective father, Brian?

2) Do you think that any of those same people have received pertinent information directly from Krzyzewski, Wojciechowski, Collins, James, Carrawell or Spatola, with or without the knowledge that these same "in the know people on TDD" would then betray them by putting the program's recruiting information directly onto a public message board?
    1)No idea.

2)No idea. I may be naive here, but I don't believe that refuting a statement that an offer has been made would be betraying the staff. They never said yes or no, only that they haven't heard that it was the truth. This is why I spoke in such delicate terms in my quoted post. I'm only saying that there is a debate as to whether he has or hasn't been offered.

See Scout: http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2010

No offer.

See Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/basketb...oe-Smith-68256

Offer.

I think it's an all or nothing deal with HB and KI. I know they want to play together so I think if one commits the other one does.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    I think it's an all or nothing deal with HB and KI. I know they want to play together so I think if one commits the other one does.
    Well, since Duke is the only school on both of their lists, if one of them goes elsewhere then Duke should have as much of a chance at the second one as anybody else (since in that case they won't play together no matter what happens). Although I think the idea of getting to play together is a plus for Duke, I don't know why you'd say it's "all or nothing."

A lot of top rated high school kids like the idea of playing with other kids they've met on the circuit, but they almost never make their decision based on what the other kids do. Unless they're twin brothers or something. Look at G and Ellington. I'm sure they would have liked to have played on the same team, but look where they ended up?

Each kid has to do what's best for him, and at this level there's no way HB and KI consider themselves a "package deal." People are giving way too much significance to a couple chance comments made in informal interviews.