Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Smith

If Coach K is traveling all the way to the hinterland of Gastonia, NC to see Roscoe play, it must mean we are in good with the kid

--Jason "I keed, I keed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I admire our staff for their continued recruiting efforts.
    Last edited by Devilsfan; 12-12-2009 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If Coach K is traveling all the way to the hinterland of Gastonia, NC to see Roscoe play, it must mean we are in good with the kid

--Jason "I keed, I keed" Evans
    Hey now that's where I'm from and I wouldn't label it as "hinterland." Gastonia has actually become pretty big because all of the people that live there and work in Charlotte. It's too bad I'm at college and can't go watch that game...

Why does it say Villanova has Smith's attention? Was this a typo? I thought it was Duke, Georgetown and UCONN.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Why does it say Villanova has Smith's attention? Was this a typo? I thought it was Duke, Georgetown and UCONN.
    Definitely a typo. I wouldn't trust any recruiting news coming out of the Gastonia Gazette...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    If you combine GTown and uCon and divide by 2 you get Villanova.

Roscoe's biggest issue is academics for Duke; he will meet with admissions on his next visit.

From Jerry Meyer

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1028153

Not really what I was hoping to hear, but it ain't over. I will probably stop looking into recruitng updates, as it drags on way too long and I don't have the patience for it.

OK, but on what information is Jerry Meyer basing this assumption?

11. Jerry has been wrong a lot recently...There are about 20 other guys I would listen to before Jerry.

K I guess never got the message because he was there to see him last week.

12. But where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

The Wall and Barnes recruitments showed us that...

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    But where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

The Wall and Barnes recruitments showed us that...

Exactly, the Barnes recruitment is a prime example. But at the same time, maybe we could be the UNC on this one and gain ground at the last second. I don't know, we'll see.

They should let me talk to Roscoe Smith. I can get him to come to Duke. Just get me a half hour with him.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Roscoe's biggest issue is academics for Duke; he will meet with admissions on his next visit.
    how do you know this? and if this is true, this really hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    how do you know this? and if this is true, this really hurts.
    I have read that academics maybe the sticking point from a few different sources (some more reliable than others). My impression is that the concern has less to do with grades and more to do with standardized test scores. What I haven't heard is if the concern is because he has already taken the tests and didn't get high enough scores or if he simply hasn't taken the tests yet so there is uncertainty on how he will do. My guess would be that if Duke is recruiting him this hard, then K thinks he will be cleared academically.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    And yet two of his three schools are Gtown and Duke? That is a little shocking. I don't know anything about Roscoe's grades, but I would like to think that having two top 25 academic institutions on your list would imply that your grades are decent.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I have no idea about Roscoe's grades, but Georgetown was heavily involved with Latavious Williams last year, and he couldn't even meet the NCAA's academic standards.

"My impression is that the concern has less to do with grades and more to do with standardized test scores."

test scores could be overcome. not much time to fix a grades issue.

the possibility of these issues aside, he sounds like a good fit and a good kid.

Roscoe Smith?

Any news on Roscoe?Sure has quiet for awhile.