Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Filter View Post
    I totally agree with you about Calhoun's underhanded compliments, and really this has always been true about him. I think in reality he's actually very jealous of K, and resents the fact that he is not considered on the same level.

The whole "he is the toughest coach for me to beat" was his not so subtle way of reminding people that he has, in fact beaten Duke in the last few meetings.
    I agree that it was backhanded, but in reality he should be mentioned in the same breath as the K's, Izzo's, Williams, and other elite coaches! His stats speak volumes to the success that program has had! That being said I hate them only slightly less than UNC because we would have two more titles if it were not for them!

There is a new article on the rivals.com Duke basketball recruiting page, Devils Illustrated. It is about Smith, and it looks like there is an interview. I'm not a premium member. Does it say anything interesting?
    http://duke.rivals.com/default.asp?type=4

Wouldn't reporting premium information from other boards rather defeat the purpose of those boards having paying members?

So, let's don't.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermy-own View Post
    There is a new article on the rivals.com Duke basketball recruiting page, Devils Illustrated. It is about Smith, and it looks like there is an interview. I'm not a premium member. Does it say anything interesting?
    http://duke.rivals.com/default.asp?type=4
    It says he is a Duke lean but keeping it close to his vest!

I kid I kid. Sorry, could not resist. But seriously, I am not a member of the site so I have no idea what it says, but like Jim said, members of those sites are not allowed to post any of the content or even a hint at what it says on other boards. Hopefully we will get some good news soon on Roscoe. I think he would be a great fit and he would definitely be a nice addition to next years class. And he is also very "athletic".

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I do. If, in watching the game, the recruit finds himself rooting for one team over the other, wouldn't that be an indication to the recruit where his heart lies?
    I completely agree with this, and was actually going to post this exact thought (now that I'm back at my computer and not in NYC using a less-than-optimal machine), except BD got there first.

That said, if this is the case then it doesn't really matter who wins the game, does it? If I'm watching a game and find myself rooting for one team and then they lose, I don't change my mind because of the loss (and I obviously wouldn't change it if they win). Same thing if I'm watching the game and I decide I like one coach's style better than the other.

So I guess I should have been more clear in my original post: there are things a recruit can get from watching a game that may help him clarify his thoughts and in some small way assist him in making his decision. However, who wins or loses that one particular game probably isn't one of them, and that was what I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    I agree that it was backhanded, but in reality he should be mentioned in the same breath as the K's, Izzo's, Williams, and other elite coaches!
    I miss the relevance. Clearly deserving to be mentioned in the same breath with other coaches doesn't forgive backhanded comments, and it looks petty in the wake of a loss. Gary Williams has offered up many, many examples of this.

For those wanting some free info on Roscoe Smith, here is the most recent Twitter update from some guy named Clint Jackson. Apparently he writes for the UNC Rivals affiliate.

Will Roscoe Smith vs. Harrison Barnes happen on the next level as Duke plays UNC? The kid seems high on Duke.
    http://twitter.com/clintjackson1

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    For those wanting some free info on Roscoe Smith, here is the most recent Twitter update from some guy named Clint Jackson. Apparently he writes for the UNC Rivals affiliate.

http://twitter.com/clintjackson1
    Clint Jackson actually writes for the Duke - Rivals page as well. I have a premium membership, and hopefully without upsetting anyone, will just say there is a chance Roscoe could committ pretty soon, and his final three have not changed. More info good info in the article.

Anyway, my thoughts are that if we get Roscoe he could very well be around for a year or two longer than HWSNBN, and would have a chip on his shoulder. Here's to hoping he comes to Duke...

Has anybody else noticed how Roscoe has listed us at medium interest on Scout? UCONN and Georgetown are listed at high interest. I don't know how current this is.

That's just what the sites do when a recruit goes on an official visit. Since he had OVs to both UConn and Georgetown, they are listed as high interest. If he comes down to Duke at some point, then we will be listed as high interest as well.

Yeah, I am sure its somewhat accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised to see our MEDIUM interest go to HIGH in the next week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfan4Life View Post
    Has anybody else noticed how Roscoe has listed us at medium interest on Scout? UCONN and Georgetown are listed at high interest. I don't know how current this is.
    Those things are rarely updated. I wouldn't use them as an indicator of true interest. There is a lot of mutual interest in this situation.

Does anybody really think he's considering the Hoyas? I mean.. Monroe leaves this year then look at their team. Uconn will always be Uconn...But if he goes to Duke he has a chance to be a player on a top 5 team.

The Duke/UConn game last week got me thinking that both of us offer the opportunity for Roscoe to get a decent amount of minutes at the SF spot. I know Kyle could stay and that Robinson is at UConn but Roscoe does provide a more athletic SF option for Duke which can use the wing depth and a outside shooter for UConn. IMO, both offer the better basketball opportunity over GTown plus have better teams. What impact other variables will have are left to be known but it will be interesting to see how they play out. Will Roscoe be motivated to come to Duke to be HB's foil? Will Brandon Knight's eventual decision impact Roscoe as there have been rumors of Roscoe and Knight wanting to possibly play together? Interesting subplots as the Roscoe recruitment plays out.

some people i've talked to seem quietly optimistic about Duke's chances with Roscoe. Right now i think there are some obvious factors the Smith family is struggling with.

They have to hate GT's offense. Roscoe likes to run and get on the break...that won't happen nearly as much at GT...but playing time could be early and often.

Duke's style seems to fit...but Roscoe's shot selection will come into question. Guys like Elliot and King struggled to adjust to a more structured system...I honestly feel Smith would too. Not to mention i believe he has thrown out some not so flattering comments about current Duke players.

Not sure what's up with UConn...I honestly consider that the best place for him...even though i hope he picks Duke. I just don't want him coming to Duke for the wrong reasons and transferring because he doesn't get playing time from day 1. I know many will disagree with me because for some reason many think every incoming recruit is the next michael jordan...but even if Kyle leaves i don't see Roscoe getting more time then Kelly is this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    Not to mention i believe he has thrown out some not so flattering comments about current Duke players.

I know many will disagree with me because for some reason many think every incoming recruit is the next michael jordan...but even if Kyle leaves i don't see Roscoe getting more time then Kelly is this year.
    This is the first I heard about Roscoe saying negative things about Duke players. Do you have a link to back this up?

As for playing time, if Singler leaves, I think Roscoe would get quite a bit of playing time. There will be 4 guards under 6'3" (Kyrie, Tyler, Nolan, Seth), the Plumlees who are clearly going to play the 4/5 positions, and Hairston, Olek & Kelly who will fill in at power forward. The only guy on the team other than Roscoe who is between 6'3" and 6'8" will be Andre Dawkins. I find it highly unlikely that Roscoe would be playing 5-10 minutes in that kind of rotation.

Roscoe will get all the playing time he deserves. Probably more than he would anywhere else if Kyle leaves (which I don't think is going to happen but whatever). Roscoe will bring versatility and tenacity on D and a good outside shot on offense.

Will he be the next Michael Jordan? No. There was only one. Will he be a quality piece to the puzzle and provide a ton of talent on both ends of the floor? a lot of people smarter than me seem to think so.

If we stop recruiting players because we're afraid they might transfer if they get unhappy then we're in big trouble.
    Duke wants Roscoe, I think that's clear. We will find out soon enough whether Roscoe wants Duke.

. Not to mention i believe he has thrown out some not so flattering comments about current Duke players.
    What is your basis for this?
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-02-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Bradon Knight.

Why would BK impact Roscoes decision at all?

1)BK is a scoring guard.
    2)BK is a one and done.

. Not to mention i believe he has thrown out some not so flattering comments about current Duke players.
    Quote Originally Posted by west_coast_devil View Post
    What is your basis for this?

there is none. He is just assuming things. Roscoe has never said one bad thing about Duke.

As for Roscoe, there will be alot of PT at Duke. I think he will end up being alot better than Kyle Singler...
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-02-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag