Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Smith

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    This all makes sense. If there was ever a year to have such a wide net for Duke, 2010 is it. How many open scholarships will we have? 6-7? Playing time definitely won't be a concern for any of these guys, they will basically be the future of the program. Andre Dawkins should be on the phone sealing the deal with them! It should be a good summer and fall for us.

Go Duke!
    Plus, if Coach K does indeed coach the Olympic team again, wrapping up a 6 man class for '10 would take pressure off of landing big classes in '11 and '12 (when the Olympic commitment will be over). The 09 and 10 class (assuming 6 commits for '10) would carry Duke through the 2012 Olympics while adding 1 or 2 guys for '11 and '12 to replace any early departures.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    Plus, if Coach K does indeed coach the Olympic team again, wrapping up a 6 man class for '10 would take pressure off of landing big classes in '11 and '12 (when the Olympic commitment will be over). The 09 and 10 class (assuming 6 commits for '10) would carry Duke through the 2012 Olympics while adding 1 or 2 guys for '11 and '12 to replace any early departures.
    Very interesting point, I had not thought about it that way. Would make K's life a lot easier, and I think many folks' around here less stressful.

Here is a link from scout.com about Roscoe Smith

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&...%2f877524.html

Recent News About Roscoe

Link

Roscoe Smith, a 6-7 SF out of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, also has a long list.

He mentioned UConn, Duke, Florida, Kentucky and LSU and said he planned to take several unofficials before school starts.
    “After Friday I will be making some unofficial visits,” he said. “I’m going to pick out the school that I’m going to commit to going on the middle of my Oak Hill season.”

http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria

Oak HIll forward Roscoe Smith will visit Duke unofficially Sept. 6
    33 minutes ago from web

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post

33 minutes ago from web
    Thanks for the info and link. I don't really see Roscoe coming here unless we miss on Harrison Barnes, but I could be wrong. I was under the assumption that even if we did get Barnes, the staff would save a scholarship for Quincy Miller, but that's probably planning too far in the future, especially with a talent like Barnes, who could make the jump after a season.

Whether or not Roscoe Smith is a back up for HB or not, I hope he is not treated as such. From everything I've read, the kid is a talent. Losing Barnes would be a big blow, but getting Roscoe Smith would help a bit. I have read that he seems to have a bit of a Uconn lead. Don't know if thats true at all.

Is it possible to have Roscoe, HB and a point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Is it possible to have Roscoe, HB and a point guard.
    I'm pretty sure that was a question so I'll answer it. Yes, it is possible.

Out of 13 Scholarships in '10-'11:

Definites
    Andre Dawkins
    Seth Curry
    Miles Plumlee
    Mason Plumlee
    Ryan Kelly
    Nolan Smith
    Tyler Thornton
    Josh Hairston
    Olek Czyz

Possibles
    Kyle Singler
    Harrison Barnes
    Kyrie Irving

This leaves one slot for someone else in this class if everyone listed above stays. If Kyle is gone, that leaves two, but I doubt we would use up that scholarship for the '10 class as we have a number of targets the following year in:

Austin Rivers
    Brad Beal
    Marshall Plumlee
    Quincy Miller
    Etc, etc

Yea it was a question but i would def. rather have Josh Smith.

article

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post

33 minutes ago from web
    Here's a little more info:
    http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/31/s...syracuse-camp/

Why? Summer reports indicate Josh Smith is pushing 300 pounds and unable to run the court. Now I'll take those reports with a grain of salt seeing as I've not seen him personally, but I cannot completely dismiss what I've read via multiple sources. Moreover, Josh Smith is considered a west coast lean and a longshot.

Personally, I would be elated with a commitment from Roscoe Smith. He appears to be a bigtime talent.
    Bob Green

I think you have positions mixed up like you do with Kyrie vs. Seth Curry in Kyrie's thread.

Josh Smith is a PF/C and Roscoe Smith is a SF. What other reasons would make you want Josh Smith over Roscoe Smith?

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010

Well first it's just my opinion second I think Josh is a better player and would be a better addition to Duke than Roscoe. I would love to have Roscoe but if i had to choose i would choose Josh Smith.

I know everyone say's he's a Westcoast lean but even JS said in his interviews it wasn't true and Duke is on his list of school so i don't see how we're a longshot.

Well first it's just my opinion second I think Josh is a better player and would be a better addition to Duke than Roscoe. I would love to have Roscoe but if i had to choose i would choose Josh Smith.

I know everyone say's he's a Westcoast lean but even JS said in his interviews it wasn't true and Duke is on his list of school so i don't see how we're a longshot.
    Personally agree with you. If Smith gets himself in shape, he may be the our most important recruiting target after an elite point guard. That said, I do think he'll stay on the West Coast.

I don't think the two things are related...

I don't think Josh and Roscoe have much in common at all, I don't see why you're arguing this as an either/or...

If we're going after Josh, (which I didn't think we were very hard), its not at the expense of recruiting Roscoe, and the reverse is also true.

They play different positions and very different games. Comparing a PF with a Wing does a disservice to both players.

Quote Originally Posted by thewiseben View Post
    I don't think Josh and Roscoe have much in common at all, I don't see why you're arguing this as an either/or...

If we're going after Josh, (which I didn't think we were very hard), its not at the expense of recruiting Roscoe, and the reverse is also true.

They play different positions and very different games. Comparing a PF with a Wing does a disservice to both players.
    While I agree that their games don't overlap, it's important to keep in mind that a) there are only a finite number of scholies to give out, b) there are only a finite number of assistant coaches and one head coach (who happens to have a ridiculous schedule) to evaluate players and c) playing time is a huge factor, especially at a school like Duke where players often play out of position, and thus a SF/PF could take minutes from a PF/C. Thus, I don't think it's unfair to say, "I would rather we go for player x than player y." Resources are scarce, so use them wisely...

Quote Originally Posted by thewiseben View Post

If you start with the assumption/hope that we sign our top two targets (HB & KI) then the only way we can take two additional players is if Kyle leaves. And even if the staff thinks Kyle is leaving, conventional wisdom seems to believe we'll save his scholarship for a 2011 recruit.

Thus, for practical purposes we only have one scholarship available if we sign our top two targets, which means it could very easily wind up an either/or for Josh and Roscoe (or any two additional recruits vying for the last spot).

Obviously if we don't snag the top two guys on our wish list things are very different.

Niether Roscoe Smith or Josh Smith will be playing at Duke. IMO

Dude, he's a long shot and the fact that he isn't discussed all that much on the boards should tell you that the staff isn't pursuing him all that hard either. Besides, between the plumlees, kelly, hairston, and olek if he develops, I think our front court rotation is looking solid for the next couple years.