Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Smith

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    How's this for some additional heartache? http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports...71764/18394821

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Roy played this one well.

I hope we get Roscoe...
    Thats an easy justification for Shirley Barnes, but it seems HB has been a Carolina fan (or at least a fan of MJ) his whole life, and the pull of being a part of that same tradition was just too much for him to walk away from. Its been said, but I think if we had pushed him earlier, we would have gotten him to verbal. Oh well. Roscoe may just prove that he has a fire in him that could spur him to playing well against HB. Hopefully, that is for Duke.

Well, wouldn't the converse of this now work in Duke's favor?

I mean, Duke is the team that kept recruiting Roscoe even though it may have cost them the #1 ranked recruit? Doesn't that show how much Duke wants Roscoe Smith?

None of this matters!

Forget Roy.

Forget H.

Gary who?

This is about Duke basketball and the guy that is going to be on the receiving end of more than a few Kyrie Irving assists (speaking of, considering the way Kyrie has been playing, Harrison might not be the top recruit of this class by next summer).

HB might be a better all around player than Roscoe, but Roscoe is a better shooter according to all relevant sources. And they don't get along (read: motivation). We have the pieces we need and a HoF coach to boot, Roscoe Smith is icing.

Hear that?!? ICING!!!

Come to Duke! Win a national championship! Beat Harrison!

Oh one more thing. For those who are concerned that Roscoe and Duke are motivated by the mutual interest of sticking it to Barnes and the Tar Heels, I'm not sure thats such a bad thing. After all, thats what motivated Harrison's hero according to his hall of fame speech.

Useful analogy

Some of the old timers here may recall Duke missing out on Top 5 recruit Curtis Hunter and instead having to settle for a guy named David Henderson. That wound up working out pretty well. I'm not saying that Barnes will be bust like Hunter was, but Smith may well turn out to be a diamond in the rough and great piece of the puzzle, just like Hendo was.

This may be the reason Roscoe Smith did not come on his OV the first time because Coach K was trying to resell to HB that he was the number one priority for Duke. But in the HB Family it may have been too late.

This is also where CJ Leslie comments are coming from.

Starting to make sense.

GO DUKE!! Lock up Roscoe Smith and revenge will be sweet!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Great talent with good coaching wins championships. I love the guys we have coming in next year and adding Roscoe would be tremendous. At the same time, given the talent and apparent character of Barnes, Bullock and Marshall, we are looking through Dark Blue colored glasses if we do not see these new additions as potential championship material.

Quote Originally Posted by drksuh View Post
    Ebb and flow, ebb and flow is not rational giving Ol' Roy's success over us since arriving at Chapel Hole. Again, they are bringing in superior talent. If ol' Roy is anything, he is great recruiter. Again we are looking through Dark Blue colored glasses if we cannot admit that he has outrecruited us in the past four to five years overall.

The UNC results are pretty well documented. But things don't stay the same in this rivalry; if anything, history tells us that the "down" program comes back after a period of time.

I'm quite pleased with the Duke recruits of:
    Dawkins, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly

Thornton, Hairston, Kyrie Irving, and transfer Seth Curry

and prospects for a possible addition (Roscoe Smith) for 2010 and then additional prospects for the 2011 class.

So, no, I would not concede an edge here to UNC; perhaps we have a difference of opinion that will not be resolved until this plays out over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    It is though. And what is being said is that recruiting victories now may be misses in a few years. UNC-CH has had a good run of success - not always in getting the top players but in retaining talent and having other players out-perform their rankings. This is something that is unlikely to continue forever. Next year they will have 13 recruited scholarship players. Watts will be the lowest ranked player (3 star). The following year they will have 14 recruited players (if nobody leaves early) so someone would be without a scholarship. IF that were to happen couldn't you see a UK like hatred come down in Chapel Hill? or at least a few negative articles? I think that may affect recruiting. Add to that the fact that right now they cannot, ethically, do much more then 'stay in touch' with recruits for next year or 2011. And if Roy follows NABC guidelines (as the fans so loudly pointed out when Coach K offered Tokoto), he won't offer for 2012 until the start of the 2010 school year. That will put him at a disadvantage. Now on top of that, top recruits want to play. If the #1 player in a position from 2010 is going to be a junior, think the #1 player who plays in the same position will automatically sign on the dotted line when Roy comes calling?

Most of this is why things like ebb and flow are said. teams can get so stocked with talent that future recruits go elsewhere for more playing time. It's happened to Duke and it's happened to UNC-CH in the past.
    Roscoe would be a welcome addition to THIS history. Please update yourselves...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolin...93Duke_rivalry

And now, back to Roscoe:

UCON has signed an athletic forward. Does this signal their opting out of Roscoe's recruitment? Maybe so, maybe not.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/921296.html

It would be great if we could return to the thread topic.
    Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    And now, back to Roscoe:

UCON has signed an athletic forward. Does this signal their opting out of Roscoe's recruitment? Maybe so, maybe not.

Thanks for the update.

And now, back to Roscoe:

That is good news if anything. Now we need to make sure Roscoe gets on campus, preferably for a game day, Radford maybe? That way, he can see how good basketball is played rather than crappy bball that wastes the talent of one of the best big men in the country...cough, cough Greg Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    That is good news if anything. Now we need to make sure Roscoe gets on campus, preferably for a game day, Radford maybe? That way, he can see how good basketball is played rather than crappy bball that wastes the talent of one of the best big men in the country...cough, cough Greg Monroe.
    I read on another board that Roscoe is indeed coming this weekend to Duke...not sure how reliable it is at this point.

And now, back to Roscoe:

Maybe, and not to be pessimistic, but it seems like Georgetown is who we really need to worry about w/regard to Roscoe. If Georgetown had signed an athletic forward, I would be ecstatic.

And now, back to Roscoe:

It actually helps them. Melvin is actually a PF, rather than a SF and he was an AAU teammate of Roscoe a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I know its recruiting, but I just can't find the ability to hate on the Georgetown basketball program. An extremely classy program and a great university.

And you maybe haven't watched Duke basketball in awhile because there is literally no room to complain about Monroe and how Georgetown utilizes him when we have struggled in our front court consistently for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    It actually helps them. Melvin is actually a PF, rather than a SF and he was an AAU teammate of Roscoe a few years ago.
    This depends on roster spots and next years needs. I took a quick look at the UCONN roster for this year and there are 14 players, 5 seniors. So right now they have one non-scholarship player (I won't claim to know any walk-on status). 14-5=9 with 3 players coming in. So that's 12. They are still waiting on decisions from Doron Lamb (ranked higher), Cory Joseph (PG - ranked higher), Brandon Knight (PG - ranked higher).

So...depending on needs and how good they feel about other prospects, Roscoe could be a second choice for UCONN

If Georgetown is our biggest competition (and I agree they are) then the Smith camp must have come away with very different impressions of Georgetown Basketball than they did of Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    I know its recruiting, but I just can't find the ability to hate on the Georgetown basketball program. An extremely classy program and a great university.

And you maybe haven't watched Duke basketball in awhile because there is literally no room to complain about Monroe and how Georgetown utilizes him when we have struggled in our front court consistently for several years.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...town-46-45-win

If Roscoe (or other potential recruits) are watching Georgetown play and Duke play so far this season, they may certainly prefer Duke's style.

This year’s home opener on Tuesday afternoon was as unwatchable
    as could be. Georgetown had more fouls (18) and turnovers (16)
    than made baskets (15), yet the No. 19 Hoyas escaped with a
    46-45 win over Temple when Greg Monroe scored the winning basket
    with 6.5 seconds to play.