Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Fair enough. Just seems like everyone was higher on what we don't have than what we do have. Thanks for the insight on Roscoe.

Hopefully Roscoe wants to be a Duke kid and commits soon. That would go along way in helping this board get over yesterday. I really wish the mods would delete the threads about what happened yesterday and force us to move on. Time to let it go. The team played well last night and there are games on Monday and Tuesday so there is plenty to discuss imo.
    Yes, absolutely. I haven't commented on the recent situation with HWSNBN (He Who Shall Not Be Named - wow, that actually works really well on multiple levels if you actually try to pronounce the acronym... Ha-wuh-sss-N Buh-nn), but I would be content with the way things turned out if we got Roscoe.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    ... HWSNBN (He Who Shall Not Be Named - wow, ... if you actually try to pronounce the acronym... Ha-wuh-sss-N Buh-nn),

but I would be content with the way things turned out if we got Roscoe.
    That's how I was pronouncing his name after a couple of hours of self-medication for the depression brought on by HWSHBN'S announcement.

Roscoe would be a great get, and would fill a need.

Given that Hairston is ranked ahead of Smith, why is it that everyone thinks Smith is the better player? I don't get it. I have never seen either play other than U-Tube highlights, but I just find it odd that so many toss Josh and Tyler under the bus for players we do not have..

Is there a clear difference between Hairston and Smith or is this just speculation by the masses?
    hairston isnt ranked higher than smith.
    smith is a better player than hairston.
    smith is listed at sf, hairston at pf, so it doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeysgotagun View Post
    From what I understand Hairston is a team first player who does not draw attention to himself.
    isn't that what they said about lance thomas?

Josh Hairston is the consensus #27 player in the high school class of 2010.

Roscoe Smith is the consensus #28 player in the high school class of 2010.

And they will play different positions.

http://rscihoops.com/

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by speedevil2001 View Post
    hairston isnt ranked higher than smith.
    smith is a better player than hairston.
    smith is listed at sf, hairston at pf, so it doesnt matter.
    Actually Hairston is ranked 27th and Smith 28th in the RSCI but it appears that those on the board who have seen them both play feel Roscoe is slightly better and as you noted Roscoe is a wing forward which is the position we are trying to fill.

I hope he comes. You can never have too many 6'7/6'8 athletic forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by m g View Post
    isn't that what they said about lance thomas?
    ouch

Could K have changed his mind and prefered Roscoe after all? I want to throw something a little crazy out here. Since K continued to go after Roscoe (visited last week), and now we saw how the HB thing played out with his self indulging presser, is it possible, just possible that towards the end Coach K saw something in HB that turned him off a little? Maybe, again just throwing out a discussion point, maybe he backed off a little and that allowed Roy to come in and win the battle?

Not suggesting that K quit recruiting him or that he didn't want HB badly, but is it possible that HB's head got a little big and caused Coach K to not want to feed his ego as much? I don't know why, but this thought came to me last night as I was falling asleep. What do you guys/gals think? Possibility or am I just rationalizing to make me feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Could K have changed his mind and prefered Roscoe after all? I want to throw something a little crazy out here. Since K continued to go after Roscoe (visited last week), and now we saw how the HB thing played out with his self indulging presser, is it possible, just possible that towards the end Coach K saw something in HB that turned him off a little? Maybe, again just throwing out a discussion point, maybe he backed off a little and that allowed Roy to come in and win the battle?

Not suggesting that K quit recruiting him or that he didn't want HB badly, but is it possible that HB's head got a little big and caused Coach K to not want to feed his ego as much? I don't know why, but this thought came to me last night as I was falling asleep. What do you guys/gals think? Possibility or am I just rationalizing to make me feel better?
    I agree, Coach K saw something in HB but it was not that he no longer wanted him but that he no longer thought we were the favorite. The problem with our recruiting in the past was how small our net was. If we wanted someone years ago we got them. That is obviously not the same these days. Coach K was playing the odds and wanted to stay close to Roscoe in case we did not get HB.

I think K did everything this year in recruiting we could possibly have asked and he again needs to be praised.

Going after Wall hard. Securing a top pg (Irving) and a backup in Thornton. Then being in the running for the top overall recruit all the way to the end but staying close with a second option in Smith. The future is bright as long as they continue this strategy.

Maryland and Michigan State win NC without having the top players in the class. I want so bad for Smith to join us and shut down HB and win us a NC and have HB realize his mistake.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Actually Hairston is ranked 27th and Smith 28th in the RSCI but it appears that those on the board who have seen them both play feel Roscoe is slightly better and as you noted Roscoe is a wing forward which is the position we are trying to fill.

I hope he comes. You can never have too many 6'7/6'8 athletic forwards.
    He will probably get a call from Roy tomorrow and then commit to UNC when Roy tells him that Barnes will only be staying for a year. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    I agree, Coach K saw something in HB but it was not that he no longer wanted him but that he no longer thought we were the favorite. The problem with our recruiting in the past was how small our net was. If we wanted someone years ago we got them. That is obviously not the same these days. Coach K was playing the odds and wanted to stay close to Roscoe in case we did not get HB.

I think K did everything this year in recruiting we could possibly have asked and he again needs to be praised.

Going after Wall hard. Securing a top pg (Irving) and a backup in Thornton. Then being in the running for the top overall recruit all the way to the end but staying close with a second option in Smith. The future is bright as long as they continue this strategy.

Maryland and Michigan State win NC without having the top players in the class. I want so bad for Smith to join us and shut down HB and win us a NC and have HB realize his mistake.
    Really good point. I would be just as happy having an athletic, improving Roscoe Smith for 4 years than a flashy, 1 or 2 -and-done Harrison Barnes. BlueDevil114 made a really good point that a school like Michigan State has lots of success, but doesn't really get the top recruits. In many ways, it's about who has the potential to develop and then which of those players stay for 4 years.

Also, kudos to Coach K for a smart recruitment strategy, and having an excellent backup plan in going for Roscoe Smith.

Also, I thought that Ryan Kelly was our wing forward of the future? Not that I would mind have a more athletic one in Roscoe Smith - just wondering why this is a position of need for the Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy-own View Post
    Really good point. I would be just as happy having an athletic, improving Roscoe Smith for 4 years than a flashy, 1 or 2 -and-done Harrison Barnes. BlueDevil114 made a really good point that a school like Michigan State has lots of success, but doesn't really get the top recruits. In many ways, it's about who has the potential to develop and then which of those players stay for 4 years.

Also, kudos to Coach K for a smart recruitment strategy, and having an excellent backup plan in going for Roscoe Smith.

Also, I thought that Ryan Kelly was our wing forward of the future? Not that I would mind have a more athletic one in Roscoe Smith - just wondering why this is a position of need for the Blue Devils.

Ryan could play the wing in the future, but his defense needs work along with his quickness. Ryan is 6'10, so he is more suited to play the four when he gets bigger and stronger. He is a European type PF, so I think he'll be used more for mis-matches. To play the wing full time? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post

Agreed. If Duke is fortunate enough to land RS (big if obviously), they would have three top 30 players from this class, including one top 5, according to RSCI, which is a comprehensive ranking. That would be a great haul.

Last edited by AlaskanAssassin; 11-15-2009 at 12:07 PM.

???

Maybe I am reading too far between the lines but it doesn't sound good for us. I feel like we are a longshot in this one but hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    Maybe I am reading too far between the lines but it doesn't sound good for us. I feel like we are a longshot in this one but hope I am wrong.

Yeah. Sounds like Georgetown is ahead, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    Let me point this out. As of Friday, Roscoe Smith was going to wait until the Spring to make any kind of decision from my recollection. Despite Duke recruiting Barnes and making it clear that he was the priority (and not even offering Roscoe I believe), Roscoe Smith kept Duke in it until his final three. Coach K spoke with Roscoe on Friday. Saturday morning Roscoe had a leader and said he is ready to make a decision in the coming weeks.

..don't get you expectations up (because frankly it only leads to pain), but also don't be surprised if Roscoe makes a visit to Duke pretty soon.

The article above says that Roscoe couldn't meet with Coach K on his visit because K was "in Hawaii." What was he doing in Hawaii? I know he was there in September this year, but I don't remember what he was doing there.

I don't have access to this article, but I think it says something about him being in Hawaii:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&...%2f897342.html

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    The article above says that Roscoe couldn't meet with Coach K on his visit because K was "in Hawaii." What was he doing in Hawaii? I know he was there in September this year, but I don't remember what he was doing there.

I don't have access to this article, but I think it says something about him being in Hawaii:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&...%2f897342.html
    I believe he was at a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    This "next play" talk is just annoying. Can't we all just be disappointed for a bit?

Old news. Zags just reposting old information (again) for website hits.