Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Smith

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    I really hope Coach K catches Roscoe now. I also hope that if we do catch him, he'll try to prove himself that he will be just as good as hb-if not, better.
    I like the thought that is a kid that can control a game on defense. With the backcourt we will have for the next couple years, Roscoe won't have to create his own offense, he needs good hands and a good basketball IQ to capitalize on the offense created by our guards.

Roscoe sounds like a winner. A guy that would enjoy the opportunity to shut HB down.

So, have we offered Roscoe? I've seen where he has a scholly offer and seen where he doesn't.... Does anyone know definitely?

3. Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I like the thought that is a kid that can control a game on defense. With the backcourt we will have for the next couple years, Roscoe won't have to create his own offense, he needs good hands and a good basketball IQ to capitalize on the offense created by our guards.

Roscoe sounds like a winner. A guy that would enjoy the opportunity to shut HB down.
    If Roscoe is a lock-down defender (as I've also heard) there's absolutely a place for him. OTOH, we're doing pretty well on SF-type players (Dawkins, Hairston, Czyz) next year, so I can see a good case for going all-out for a 2011 superstar. I'll be curious to see which way the staff chooses to go.

Quote Originally Posted by vango View Post
    Did I read in the past month that HB and Smith are chippy. That they have gotten into it before?

I'll take passion and talent over talent anyday.

Everyone is different - but I'm someone who would want to play against the supposed best. Wonder if it helps us with him that HB is next door.
    True but from all that I have read Barnes has passion as well so Smith to Duke could be a double edged sword. Still, I hope that we are not out of it with Smith. It would be nice to have an athletic 6'7' wing on the roster next year.

One thing to keep in mind is Shavlik Randolph was looked at as a guy that could help unc catch back up to Duke talent wise. Instead, he signed with Duke and ended up as primarily a role player.

Now Barnes looks to be a complete stud and very well may lead unc to the championship next season. Then again, he could get injured or for some reason not transition to the college game as expected.

My point is, although things look bleak now, there is no way of knowing how things will turn out until they happen. I would rather lament Barnes' decision after it has actually meant the difference on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    If Roscoe is a lock-down defender (as I've also heard) there's absolutely a place for him. OTOH, we're doing pretty well on SF-type players (Dawkins, Hairston, Czyz) next year, so I can see a good case for going all-out for a 2011 superstar. I'll be curious to see which way the staff chooses to go.

Im sorry, but I have to disagree completely. #1-Dawkins is not wing player. Maybe in a few years or something, but I would much rather have someone like Roscoe to complement him on the perimeter. #2- This is Duke, we should have someone other than Olek Czyz who is very raw and unproven, take on HB and other ACC SF's. #3- Who is to say we don't miss out on our top 2011 recruits as well?

7. Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Im sorry, but I have to disagree completely. #1-Dawkins is not wing player. Maybe in a few years or something, but I would much rather have someone like Roscoe to complement him on the perimeter. #2- This is Duke, we should have someone other than Olek Czyz who is very raw and unproven, take on HB and other ACC SF's. #3- Who is to say we don't miss out on our top 2011 recruits as well?
    I wouldn't dismiss Hairston out of hand, but ok. If the staff thinks we have a big hole at the 3 (esp. if Kyle takes off after the season) let's grab Smith. I'm not saying we shouldn't take him, just that I could imagine the staff going more than one way.

I will say the fact that there is bad blood between Smith and Barnes does make me want him a bit more, since I'd love to have a guy with a chip on his shoulder working to lock Barnes down. We'll see, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    This is Duke, we should have someone other than Olek Czyz who is very raw and unproven, take on HB and other ACC SF's.
    Kyle Singler?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Kyle Singler?
    Well obviously, but I give it a 25% chance of us having him back. The guy is a projected lottery pick and I can't imagine his stock taking any kind of hit this year.

Obviously I would love to have Smith now, but I really doubt he would come here after Duke made it obvious that he was a backup plan to Barnes.

Instead of us all getting after each other we need to find out what are chances really are with this kid! He appears to be a very good! I am pissed off about what happened today, but I still think Kyire was more important! We do need a long defender on the wing. That is probably Rocoe's best part of his game! Monster shot blocker. I hope we get him! remember everyone tournament games are usually won by great guards. We have some

Here is some info in case anyone is interested.

UConn, Georgetown, and Duke are clearly Roscoe's three finalists. I took a look at Scout to see which players each school is targeting at the 2/3/4 positions, and this is what I got. Keep in mind this is free info so it isn't exactly groundbreaking.

Georgetown is looking at the most post players, with Smith, Jelan Kendrick (top 10 national recruit), and Tony Mitchell. They also have Nate Lubick, an undersized power forward, as a commitment. I'm not sure if he has signed.

UConn has JayVaughn Pinkston, Smith, and Doron Lamb (an undersized shooting guard) has prospects.

Duke has just Roscoe Smith, at least for now. Josh Hairston is the only commitment who plays anything close to Smith's position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You can't be serious.

First of all, Kyrie was a HUGE get, and as many have said was in most ways more important than Barnes.

Second, even if Kyle doesn't come back we're stacked in the frontcourt. Especially since with all the guard depth we're going to have there will only be two frontcourt players in the game at most times.

Third, Roscoe Smith is supposed to be a good player, but he's ranked lower than Josh Hairston, who has already signed a letter of intent for Duke.

But more important than the fact that Roscoe Smith will not be a "savior" for Duke is the fact that Duke doesn't need to be saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    A "complete failure?" Get some perspective. If Singler comes back, Duke has a sick amount of talent on the perimeter next year: Kyle, Nolan, Irving, Dawkins, Curry, Hairston, Thornton. That's more than enough to be really, really good.

This is why I try to avoid recruiting.
    Thank you guys for having some perspective here.

Well obviously, but I give it a 25% chance of us having him back. The guy is a projected lottery pick and I can't imagine his stock taking any kind of hit this year.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Don't be so fast with that assessment...

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Obviously I would love to have Smith now, but I really doubt he would come here after Duke made it obvious that he was a backup plan to Barnes.
    Hi,

We don't know what Smith is thinking. Smith wasn't a "backup" plan at all. Barnes was the #1 recruit in the land and Duke as a perennial power went after him hard. It would have been disingenuous to tell Smith he was the first choice when Barnes was out there...now that Barnes has cast his lot maybe Smith would like a piece of him while wearing a Duke uni. This could be fun.

GO DUKE!

Agreed, and if my post shows anything, it's that UConn and Georgetown are both looking at a variety of players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    Agreed, and if my post shows anything, it's that UConn and Georgetown are both looking at a variety of players as well.

I agree. We have always been up front with Roscoe and our situation as I am sure GU and UCONN have as well. I don't think Roscoe will have any hard feelings in this siutation. As a matter of fact, this could be a great opportunity now for him. If he thinks like that, then this could be good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I agree with Kewlswim and JaMarcus to some extent. I would also add that Roscoe's decision to hold off on signing could very well have been tied to the HB saga. I believe that he has not yet taken an official visit yet and have not seen confirmation that Duke has even offered a scholarship. And yet, Duke is among the final 3 for this top-20/30 recruit. Let's see what happens. I like our chances, to be honest.

Come on Down Roscoe!

We've got a 3 spot waiting on you!

Dawkins is the definition of a wing player. He's not a point guard, and he's not a post player. That's a wing player. He may or may not be a prototypical college "3" (though he's pretty close), and he may not be suited to match up with Barnes, but he's absolutely a wing player.

Conversely, I'd say that Hairston is the one who is not really a wing player. He's supposed to be more of a post-oriented "college 4" type.

I know next to nothing about Smith and even less about players in the 2011 class, so I'll defer comment on whether we should go after Smith or wait until 2011.