Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Roscoe Smith

And Now back to Roscoe Smith....

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    I'm surprised we're listed in there. Hasn't been any news about him lately...

Weird, I think I am done with Roscoe. Two months ago he said he was a few weeks away from making a decision and it was down to UCONN, Duke, and GTown. Now he is listing 7 schools. I wouldn't be surprised if he announced he was going to Italy!

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "My impression is that the concern has less to do with grades and more to do with standardized test scores."

test scores could be overcome. not much time to fix a grades issue.

the possibility of these issues aside, he sounds like a good fit and a good kid.
    A search on Roscoe's grades revealed that around this time last year, he at least had a 3.0 GPA:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/h...,5959550.story

If that's the case, then I would guess that standardized test scores are more of the issue, which as you mentioned, can be overcome with practice. It's still my hunch that academics are playing a significant role.

Bad news-Roscoe has committed to UCONN. http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    If that's the case, then I would guess that standardized test scores are more of the issue, which as you mentioned, can be overcome with practice. It's still my hunch that academics are playing a significant role.
    My thought when I read this comment is that test scores deficiencies for schools like Duke and Georgetown can be overcome by:
    (a) practice
    (b) opening your recruitment up to Florida/Kansas or comitting to UConn.

However, we don't know if test scores were really an issue.

8. We kinda knew we weren't going to get this guy didn't we? When it gets quiet and all you hear about is the coaching staff recruiting another player at the same position...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukefan03 View Post

Good luck Roscoe, we hardly knew yee!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukefan03 View Post
    I kind of felt this was going to be the case given the recruitment of Ross/Ziegler/Felix. Honestly, I suspect people are probably overvaluing these guys anyway. Outside of Barnes (and maybe even including Barnes, because who knows?), I sort of feel like Smith/Felix/Ziegler/Ross/etc are sort of equivalent rolls of the dice in terms of adding impact at the big wing position anyway.

I suspect we'll end up with one of the remaining guys, so I don't really feel too upset about missing on this particular option if this is true. I'd have been most happy with Barnes, but that ship sailed. The other options are sort of equivalent amongst each other in terms of how happy I'll be if we get them.

That's not meant to insult them. It's just that I know so little about how good these "second-tier" wings really are, so it's hard to get too fired up about them until I see them.

But congratulations to Smith. UConn is a great opportunity for him to play major college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Zagoria strikes out again!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I kind of felt this was going to be the case given the recruitment of Ross/Ziegler/Felix. Honestly, I suspect people are probably overvaluing these guys anyway. Outside of Barnes (and maybe even including Barnes, because who knows?), I sort of feel like Smith/Felix/Ziegler/Ross/etc are sort of equivalent rolls of the dice in terms of adding impact at the big wing position anyway.

I suspect we'll end up with one of the remaining guys, so I don't really feel too upset about missing on this particular option if this is true. I'd have been most happy with Barnes, but that ship sailed. The other options are sort of equivalent amongst each other in terms of how happy I'll be if we get them.

That's not meant to insult them. It's just that I know so little about how good these "second-tier" wings really are, so it's hard to get too fired up about them until I see them.

But congratulations to Smith. UConn is a great opportunity for him to play major college basketball.

I think that they all have just as much potential to be major contributors as Harrison Barnes. Duke does not need a star wing player as we have plenty of stars in the backcourt which is why someone like Ross would be a great get and fit. He'll play right away, but will have a year or two before much is really asked of him besides defense and to throw down some nasty dunks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Is this a reliable site?

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Is this a reliable site?
    The Hartford Courant? It's the biggest newspaper in the state. Which isn't saying much, but I suppose it's reliable enough by Internet standards.

I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Zagoria strikes out again!!!!!!!!
    Who will owe him an apology this time?

Scout article

Duke's courting of HB

Is Roscoe's decisions at least partly tied to Coach K going after Barnes, meaning Roscoe was athe second choice?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Is Roscoe's decisions at least partly tied to Coach K going after Barnes, meaning Roscoe was athe second choice?
    If it is, there was nothing we could have done about it. Roscoe should have been the second choice after HB, especially since it appeared until the end we had a pretty good shot at HB (who was, after all, the #1 recruit in the country).

It looks like Roscoe's recruitment is a wrap. This thread is closed.