Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RIP Michael Jackson

Unconfirmed reports here and there

Damn. He was a total freak, but his music was AMAZING... legendary.

sad, sad day...

Only 50. Days like these remind me of how short and unpredicable life is...

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Only 50. Days like these remind me of how short and unpredicable life is...
    Because nothing he did to himself contributed to that short and unpredictable ending...

True that...but as a Motown girl, I'm having a stroll down memory lane dance party tonight for one of the pillars of the foundation.
    One twisted guy, certainly a freak show, but he had musical chops.
    He wasted more talent than most ever dreamed of having.
    Really a pathetic passing.

Man in the Mirror

I've been watching MJ videos. Here's my favorite -- 1988 Grammy Awards, "Man in the Mirror"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpTQCQEFhg
    No soup for you!

Watching his old videos and listening to some of his music tonight really has reminded me how incredible he was. Definitely the biggest music star of my life time(i wasn't around for Elvis or the Beatles). Later today we will see the reaction of people around the world and I'm guessing it will be something unlike we've ever seen before. I mean the guy sold out 50 concerts in 10 minutes in England. Wow. A truly tragic figure, but a legend.

Now he can remake the "Thriller" video... and not need makeup this time.

I'm having a hard time with the beatification of MJ. The monkey, the amusement park in the back yard, what he did to himslef - who cares. No amount of talent balances the scales on child sexual abuse.

Kind of sad since he was a great artist, but I remember him mostly as a total freak and child abuser.

I can't think of anyone else who is so loved in one realm and reviled in another. Truly one of the top two (Elvis), if not the best song and dance act ever, imo. This performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VASYhabHkM) is arguably one of the best ever, not only for its entertainment, but for what it meant to music at the time - it was totally new, with dance moves that had never been seen outside of underground breakdancing.

On the other hand, he was a sicko and a pervert. I think a lot of people are feeling the same way Mike Lukovich is (http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o...xntlid=sldr_hm)
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I remember seeing him on TV around 9 or so with his brothers. From then on he was a favorite of mine, until the freekishness started. What a waste. I hope he is now at peace. Today I rue that I did not convert my Michael records to CD and don't have a working turntable so I could have a dance party of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I'm having a hard time with the beatification of MJ. The monkey, the amusement park in the back yard, what he did to himslef - who cares. No amount of talent balances the scales on child sexual abuse.
    Five times now, allen. We are practically twins!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    I remember seeing him on TV around 9 or so with his brothers. From then on he was a favorite of mine, until the freekishness started. What a waste. I hope he is now at peace. Today I rue that I did not convert my Michael records to CD and don't have a working turntable so I could have a dance party of my own.
    Just get the CDs on iTunes or something...save those vinyls and treasure them. I'm hoping my parents kept their vinyls.

MJ was larger than life to me. He could do no wrong. His music has shaped my entire life, and it will continue to influence my world as long as I live. My parents were around for Elvis and the Beatles and MJ...hands down they agree that MJ is the best entertainer there ever was. I remember going to his concert when I was a little kid and it still ranks as the best concert I've ever attended. How lucky I am to see a genius performing his work to the fullest. I don't have a favorite MJ song...I have 50. I really cannot choose.

He was a great humanitarian as well, and has the greatest catalog of songs in the history of music, in my opinion. "We Are The World" is probably THE most important song ever written...only MJ (along with Quincy Jones) could do it, and bring in a dynamite all-star cast to help him record it.

Despite his legal troubles, I have always stood behind MJ. His music carries me through. I definitely choked up listening to all his songs on the radio on the way home last night, and watching a marathon of his music videos all night have me even more stunned that he's gone. He has influenced thousands of artists and is probably the only person ever that can say he literally had BILLIONS of fans. Billions. This has literally, excuse the MJ pun, rocked my world.

He was the King of Pop, he was the best that ever did it, and there will be no one like him. I take great pride in him being my favorite artist of all time, and his music will live on in me and others for generations and generations.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I can't think of anyone else who is so loved in one realm and reviled in another. Truly one of the top two (Elvis), if not the best song and dance act ever, imo. This performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VASYhabHkM) is arguably one of the best ever, not only for its entertainment, but for what it meant to music at the time - it was totally new, with dance moves that had never been seen outside of underground breakdancing.

On the other hand, he was a sicko and a pervert. I think a lot of people are feeling the same way Mike Lukovich is (http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o...xntlid=sldr_hm)
    I remember reading somewhere a while back that Micheal's dancing was inspired by none other than James Brown. James Brown had some moves that were definitely the precursor of the Moonwalk.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Just get the CDs on iTunes or something...save those vinyls and treasure them. I'm hoping my parents kept their vinyls.

MJ was larger than life to me. He could do no wrong. His music has shaped my entire life, and it will continue to influence my world as long as I live. My parents were around for Elvis and the Beatles and MJ...hands down they agree that MJ is the best entertainer there ever was. I remember going to his concert when I was a little kid and it still ranks as the best concert I've ever attended. How lucky I am to see a genius performing his work to the fullest. I don't have a favorite MJ song...I have 50. I really cannot choose.

He was a great humanitarian as well, and has the greatest catalog of songs in the history of music, in my opinion. "We Are The World" is probably THE most important song ever written...only MJ (along with Quincy Jones) could do it, and bring in a dynamite all-star cast to help him record it.

Despite his legal troubles, I have always stood behind MJ. His music carries me through. I definitely choked up listening to all his songs on the radio on the way home last night, and watching a marathon of his music videos all night have me even more stunned that he's gone. He has influenced thousands of artists and is probably the only person ever that can say he literally had BILLIONS of fans. Billions. This has literally, excuse the MJ pun, rocked my world.

He was the King of Pop, he was the best that ever did it, and there will be no one like him. I take great pride in him being my favorite artist of all time, and his music will live on in me and others for generations and generations.
    It was that very charisma that allowed him to sexually abuse children without threat of violence. His incredible talent could forgive him all of his wierdness - but there are some things that don't get anyone a free pass.

gonna play devil's advocate here . . .

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It was that very charisma that allowed him to sexually abuse children without threat of violence. His incredible talent could forgive him all of his wierdness - but there are some things that don't get anyone a free pass.
    Yes, he was a freak, he was weird, he admitted to doing things that seem very odd and inappropriate, but what if . . . he never molested a child? JUST SUPPOSE that he never did it, that those kids were pushed by parents looking to make some money. He was never convicted. We will probably NEVER know for sure. Yet, lots of people, including several in this thread are calling him a pervert, child abuser, etc.

Remember, there are still those that insist Crystal Mangum was raped.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yes, he was a freak, he was weird, he admitted to doing things that seem very odd and inappropriate, but what if . . . he never molested a child? JUST SUPPOSE that he never did it, that those kids were pushed by parents looking to make some money. He was never convicted. We will probably NEVER know for sure. Yet, lots of people, including several in this thread are calling him a pervert, child abuser, etc.

Remember, there are still those that insist Crystal Mangum was raped.
    Certainly I would be glad to be wrong, both for MJ's sake and more importantly for that of the kids - but I don't think I am wrong.