Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1138
    Can we all agree to at least hate Jamaal Magloire? I think that's ok, hating Magloire? Wojo wasn't the same after this, and the whole team followed suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97u3CPEY1Rw

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurkey View Post
    I don't know. I was there, and I was almost attacked by a fraternity of Kentucky dorks when I responded to their taunts with a single word: "Laettner."
    My friend got into it similarly with some UK fans at that game, who pulled his shirt over his head and started hitting him. Not totally relevant, just thought we were the only people that happened to.

Regardless, I think if Duke and Kentucky had played in the Final Four this year, which was very close to happening, you'd have a hard time telling me that what we would have seen would not have constituted a furthering of a rivalry, especially given how the media would have portrayed it. Adding to that, you have Calipari saying part of the reason they lost to WVU is they were looking past them at us. Their fan base REALLY doesn't like us or our program, and you have to admit, most of us don't really like them either, even if only in response.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Not true. Had Duke gone on to beat UK in '98 I think they would have been the favorites to win a NC. No team "had" to spoil Wojo's senior year. We were more than talented enough that year to finish the college basketball season with a win, not a loss.

Oh, and I must say I think Starter had an excellent point (on the previous page in post #1037) about the importance of getting Rivers. I also agree that getting Quincy would be really sweet, but I don't think it is as important as getting Austin was.
    Right back at you, and I agree. If they had beaten Kentucky, I think they had an excellent chance to win it all, especially with UNC losing to Utah. I was a freshman in 97-98, and I still think that was the most well-rounded team I saw at Duke -- including the 2001 team. They were deep, versatile, had both youth and experience... I liked them a lot more than the far more hyped team we had the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    It's sports. You're supposed to hate the other team, right? Or have I been doing this wrong? I don't know about you guys, but I love holding a good old-fashioned grudge. And when payback comes (see: WVU in this year's final four), it usually satisfies.
    Agreed. But as a Duke fan it's important not to be sore losers (the few times it does happen), it's what separates us from tarheels.

i.e. "OK WV, you outplayed us today, you deserved to win. But be warned, karma is a b----!"
    AND "Oh Ed Davis was out and the wear sisters were hurt and all of our players just graduated and blah blah blah..."

Holding a grudge is one thing, whining and not taking responsibility for your L like a man is another.

It's sports. You're supposed to hate the other team, right? Or have I been doing this wrong? I don't know about you guys, but I love holding a good old-fashioned grudge. And when payback comes (see: WVU in this year's final four), it usually satisfies.
    I personally see "hate" and "holding a grudge" on two different levels. I definitely held a grudge against WVU after '08. I played in the band for that game and the fans outside the arena on our way out were pretty big jackasses towards us (more than just "woo we won" and "ha! you lost" which I would understand). This year, I couldn't get to Indy for the semifinals, but was able to drive out on Sunday for the Butler game on Monday. Coming from Philly, I had to drive through that little 20 mile sliver near Wheeling. I took great joy in hanging a Duke flag out the window during that part of the drive, but I don't hate WVU.

I see hate as actively despising a team and watching their games just to see them lose, even if the game has no relation to Duke in any way whatsoever. For me, that distinction is reserved for only a select few.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Can we all agree to at least hate Jamaal Magloire? I think that's ok, hating Magloire? Wojo wasn't the same after this, and the whole team followed suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97u3CPEY1Rw
    Sheesh, speaking of comments, check out the comments on that video.

Most "liked" comments:

"what a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., Magloire should have broke him in half, and ate him for a snack" -- 18 people like

"Billy Packer and Wojo are a couple of I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s" -- 16 people like

Other gems:

"I can't believe that anyone would look at that and think that Magloire did anything wrong. I've hated wojo ever since. What a weiner"

And I didn't even post any of the (many) ridiculously profane ones. Talk about mass insanity...

I was driving from North Carolina to Wisconsin during the last basketball season with my wife. My wife is not a huge basketball fan and still new to being a Duke fan That night, we decided to pull off the interstate somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky. I said to my wife "I didn't even think about this when we left--I'm wearing a Duke shirt. Not a good idea in Kentucky!" She just rolled her eyes, like "yeah right, nobody is going to care." We step inside the hotel, and it wasn't 30 seconds before the hotel manager and another guy started ragging on Duke!! (I didn't mind as it was mostly good-natured). My wife was surprised! I think the entire state is mad.

That video is a little grainy...which number is Quincy Miller?

I think he's the same number as Tyler Hansbrough is in your avatar on a Duke board. I kid, and I think we're all just killing time until we can overanalyze Q's tweets after CTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I think he's the same number as Tyler Hansbrough is in your avatar on a Duke board. I kid, and I think we're all just killing time until we can overanalyze Q's tweets after CTC.
    For the record, my avatar's number = Hansbrough's number = Hansbrough's IQ = 50

I used to respect Kentucky as a rival, but I have turned to disgust for them. The reason that I have turned to disgust is that they let Cal into their system. If you have a rich history, you don't do that. That move put the smell of desperation into the air and like a predator, I wanted to see their blood spilled (metaphorically). They lowered the status of their program with that move and I want them to be ruined for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I used to respect Kentucky as a rival, but I have turned to disgust for them. The reason that I have turned to disgust is that they let Cal into their system. If you have a rich history, you don't do that. That move put the smell of desperation into the air and like a predator, I wanted to see their blood spilled (metaphorically). They lowered the status of their program with that move and I want them to be ruined for it.
    I agree with this to an extent, but it paints too rosy a picture of Kentucky's history. All they did when they hired Cal is revert to be the win-at-all-costs Kentucky of the 80s, a program that almost got the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    (Nice! Think it's the combined minutes he played last year also)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I tell you what, those Carolina tutors must be miracle workers. He managed to double his IQ in four years!

Too low...or just right?

Yea I respected KU fans and the program until Cal came along. Now I hope to see a loss everytime I check the stat sheet. If they drop Cal and admit it was a mistake then I may just foregive them and go back to just disliking them.

Duke No Longer Recruiting Quincy Miller

According to Zag's Blog, Duke no longer recruiting Q - http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/15/d...p-for-madness/

Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    According to Zag's Blog, Duke no longer recruiting Q - http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/15/d...p-for-madness/
    Quincy Miller, a 6-9 senior forward from Westchester (N.C.) Country Day, will not be there as originally scheduled after the two sides parted ways.
    That's unfortunate. I know there are a few Quincy-critics around here, but I like him.

Still, something about this doesn't add up for me; it seems a bit sudden. Duke is in his top three, he is vocally pro-Duke on twitter, and he's scheduled to attend CTC. And then the morning before he cancels and has now "parted ways?" I wonder why there was such a sudden change of heart.

That's unfortunate. I know there are a few Quincy-critics around here, but I like him.

Still, something about this doesn't add up for me; it seems a bit sudden. Duke is in his top three, he is vocally pro-Duke on twitter, and he's scheduled to attend CTC. And then the morning before he cancels and has now "parted ways?" I wonder why there was such a sudden change of heart.
    Could be a sign that Duke expects Quinn Cook to sign and is out of scholarships...?

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Could be a sign that Duke expects Quinn Cook to sign and is out of scholarships...?
    Co-sign. I think Quinn Cook is going to commit and Duke told him they couldn't carry a scholly for Q. Just my opinion, but that is what I'd guess if I had to.

While I am sorry about the Quincy bit a little (he is super talented) I am not that broken up; to be frank, I never loved the way he conducted his recruitment... I felt like his emotions and loyalties seemed to run so hot-and-cold, and that just isn't my style, or the style I particularly love in a player. I am sure he is a good kid, but thankfully the staff is very good at finding great kids.

Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    Co-sign. I think Quinn Cook is going to commit and Duke told him they couldn't carry a scholly for Q. Just my opinion, but that is what I'd guess if I had to.
    But if the coaching staff thought Kyrie or Mason (or anybody else) was going pro after this season (or if they were worried about Tyler A qualifying or anybody transferring) -- which would free up a scholarship in the Spring -- would they stop recruiting QM?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    But if the coaching staff thought Kyrie or Mason (or anybody else) was going pro after this season (or if they were worried about Tyler A qualifying or anybody transferring) -- which would free up a scholarship in the Spring -- would they stop recruiting QM?
    Totally speculating, but I think the staff would tell him that they couldn't guarantee him a scholarship, which might have led Q and Duke to part ways. While I agree that the likelihood of someone leaving early is high, I think the staff would not tell a kid to keep considering Duke if there isn't a scholarship available. Again, this is total speculation based on the assumption that Quinn Cook is picking Duke, with no personal knowledge that that will happen.