Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1138
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    ... And given how much we really don't care about Louisville, hard to be too disappointed if this comes to pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Spoken like someone who has been a Duke fan for less than 25 years.

Never forget!!

-Jason " " Evans
    Amen. Still can't get the last shot out of my head.

Pitino is always a threat, giving him a roster full of talent is dangerous.

I'm 23. So There.

(I don't really see Kentucky as a rival either, as I've mentioned before on these boards)
    This is an ignorant statement. Kentucky Nation hates us for '92. Duke Nation hates them for '98. If Kentucky and Duke ever met up, it would be World War III, regardless of how rarely the teams play. This is also just recent history, as UK beat Duke in the '78 finals, and I am sure more-seasoned Blue Devil fans remember that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    This is an ignorant statement. Kentucky Nation hates us for '92. Duke Nation hates them for '98. If Kentucky and Duke ever met up, it would be World War III, regardless of how rarely the teams play. This is also just recent history, as UK beat Duke in the '78 finals, and I am sure more-seasoned Blue Devil fans remember that as well.
    Duke and Kentucky played in December 2001 on a neutral court, the Meadowlands. Exciting game, won by Duke in OT. Great game by Jason Williams. I don't recall it approaching World War III levels, even when used metaphorically.

And I do not believe "Duke nation" hates Kentucky for what happened in 1998. Would have preferred a different outcome, of course.

I realize that a good portion of the Kentucky fan base has an irrational hatred for Duke. But relatively few Duke afns return the favor. IMO.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke and Kentucky played in December 2001 on a neutral court, the Meadowlands. Exciting game, won by Duke in OT. Great game by Jason Williams. I don't recall it approaching World War III levels, even when used metaphorically.

And I do not believe "Duke nation" hates Kentucky for what happened in 1998. Would have preferred a different outcome, of course.

I realize that a good portion of the Kentucky fan base has an irrational hatred for Duke. But relatively few Duke afns return the favor. IMO.
    Yeah, as a result of the '98 game(among others), Duke fans don't hate Kentucky, they just hate 17 point leads...

I'm 23. So There.

(I don't really see Kentucky as a rival either, as I've mentioned before on these boards)
    You are dead to me.

-Jason "I keed, I keed!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

And given how much we really don't care about Louisville, hard to be too disappointed if this comes to pass.
    We suffered one of our most heartbreaking defeats at the hands of UofL in '86. I was there and seeing David Henderson's expression of disappointment after that game made my heart sink. Just because you weren't there or were too young to be there doesn't mean it didn't happen and it doesn't matter anymore. Believe me, it still matters. I don't want to lose anything else to them.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

I was at both the '92 and '98 games. I guess I speak for myself when I say I hate UK for the '98 game. That was a horrible day!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    We suffered one of our most heartbreaking defeats at the hands of UofL in '86. I was there and seeing David Henderson's expression of disappointment after that game made my heart sink. Just because you weren't there or were too young to be there doesn't mean it didn't happen and it doesn't matter anymore. Believe me, it still matters. I don't want to lose anything else to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    I was at both the '92 and '98 games. I guess I speak for myself when I say I hate UK for the '98 game. That was a horrible day!
    Personally I don't understand the idea that we should hate teams who beat us. Even teams who beat us in a heartbreaking manner. Duke has played a lot of big games, and we've lost our share. Should we hate everyone? Or, put another way, there's a lot of complaining on these boards about "Duke hate," but if we hate everyone who's beaten us how can we get upset when others do the same?

Obviously everyone's emotions are their own, and I'm not trying to tell anyone their feelings are unacceptable. I just think there's too much hate in the world.

Having said all that, obviously hating UNC is exempt from the above discussion.

I don't know. I was there, and I was almost attacked by a fraternity of Kentucky dorks when I responded to their taunts with a single word: "Laettner." Then an inebriated and obese Kentucky fan passed out at the start of overtime and fell on my girlfriend.

So, maybe not WWIII. But definitely weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Personally I don't understand the idea that we should hate teams who beat us. Even teams who beat us in a heartbreaking manner. Duke has played a lot of big games, and we've lost our share. Should we hate everyone? Or, put another way, there's a lot of complaining on these boards about "Duke hate," but if we hate everyone who's beaten us how can we get upset when others do the same?

Obviously everyone's emotions are their own, and I'm not trying to tell anyone their feelings are unacceptable. I just think there's too much hate in the world.

Bingo. That's always been my thought. Teams beat us in big games regularly..it's how the game is. But if you don't play a team that often (such as Louisville) and the defeats aren't a regular occurrence (so if you started to dislike UConn after 2004, it'd be different), they're not a rival, and you really shouldn't hate them.

We've played UK 3 times in the last 2 decades i think? They hate us for The Shot, why should we hate them? Because they spoiled Wojo's senior year? Someone had to do it.

Louisville even more, no offense JEvans, but they may have spoiled Duke's first great class' championship game...but it's been as you said, 25 years dude. We don't play them regularly (I can't remember our last game with them in the last decade), and really, why we'd have any hate for them is just silly. Hating any team that beats you is just going to make you seem like a bitter fan.

-----------------------
    Anyhow, we're off topic here.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

See Reggie Bush...

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    While I agree that this really hurts Baylor this year, I'm not sure that this affects the Miller recruitment much. First, Dunn is a senior, so he would not have played with Quincy anyway. Also, Dunn is not the end of Baylor's talent pipeline. They have a top 5 rectruit, Isaiah Austin, coming 2012.

We've played UK 3 times in the last 2 decades i think? They hate us for The Shot, why should we hate them? Because they spoiled Wojo's senior year? Someone had to do it.
    Not true. Had Duke gone on to beat UK in '98 I think they would have been the favorites to win a NC. No team "had" to spoil Wojo's senior year. We were more than talented enough that year to finish the college basketball season with a win, not a loss.

Oh, and I must say I think Starter had an excellent point (on the previous page in post #1037) about the importance of getting Rivers. I also agree that getting Quincy would be really sweet, but I don't think it is as important as getting Austin was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Not true. Had Duke gone on to beat UK in '98 I think they would have been the favorites to win a NC. No team "had" to spoil Wojo's senior year. We were more than talented enough that year to finish the college basketball season with a win, not a loss..
    Yes and the 2005-06 (JJ Senior Year) would've been favorites to win the NC if not for LSU.

They lost. We were favored and that might make you feel sad, especially due to expectations, but it doesn't start a rivalry or any hate, when you play that team what, once more over the last 12 years?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I'm hoping CTC makes a big impact on Q.

Duke has blown other big leads in NCAA Tournaments.

Do we hate St. John's, Seton Hall, Arkansas and Indiana? Do we hate Loyola, Washington, California, Providence, Michigan State, LSU, West Virginia?

Life's too short. IMO.

Yes and the 2005-06 (JJ Senior Year) would've been favorites to win the NC if not for LSU.

They lost. We were favored and that might make you feel sad, especially due to expectations, but it doesn't start a rivalry or any hate, when you play that team what, once more over the last 12 years?
    Kentucky sucks. Back to Quincy Miller!

I hope Quincy Miller comes to Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are dead to me.

-Jason "I keed, I keed!" Evans
    Not sure if the person who expressed a desire for Carolina to be better during the Doh years has the right to lecture anyone about not caring about Louisville or Kentucky...

"I keed, I keed" as well (kind of). Please don't hurt me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

I didn't say anything about hate. I just remember the hurt. And I totally agree with you in regards to the unfounded reasoning for hating.
    Last edited by jipops; 10-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Count me in

I admit that I am a young Duke fan and have only been following for about ten years. Because of my short tenure as a Duke fan I can say that I despise UConn. Maybe I am just being bitter because we lost out, but I don't care I hate UConn!!!!

What's with all the love?

It's sports. You're supposed to hate the other team, right? Or have I been doing this wrong? I don't know about you guys, but I love holding a good old-fashioned grudge. And when payback comes (see: WVU in this year's final four), it usually satisfies.