Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1138
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    That was pretty much my point, since it seemed like such an odd list from an academic point of view. Of course, seemingly odd lists are par for the course when you are focused specifically on basketball (or math, football, chess, journalism, electrical engineering, or almost any other specialized activity).

The one quibble I'd have is that plenty of Duke students would have considered one of those schools, especially if they had some personal or geographical connection to the place. I'd also add that there are plenty of students at those schools who'd do fine at Duke; while there's presumably an academic gap between the average Duke student and the average student at, say, Oklahoma, you're kidding yourself if you think that there aren't some students at OU who'd do well and do good things at Duke.

While such assertions needn't really be substantiated, here's a list of the 10 colleges that enrolled the most National Merit Scholars in 2010:[[http://us.tamu.edu/2010/01/am-ranks-...it-scholars/]]

Harvard (266)
    Northwestern (246)
    University of Texas at Austin (245)
    Yale (234)
    University of Southern California (229)
    Washington University in St. Louis (223)
    University of Chicago (214)
    Princeton (196)
    University of Oklahoma (196)
    Texas A & M (189)

Note that Oklahoma is on the list, and Duke isn't. Obviously, Texas, A&M, OU, and Southern Cal are a lot bigger than Duke, and being a NM Scholar isn't a solid indicator of anything beyond an ability to do well on the SAT and do reasonably well in high school, but it's also true that off the east coast, most of the best students choose to go to public colleges.

Back to Quincy...
    Not to belabor a point that is off-topic, and I agree generally with what you are saying here. Most, if not all, flagship state universities have some very bright students, even if their average students are less academically talented (at least as to entering credentials) than the average at "elite" schools. But the National Merit statistic may be a little misleading. My daughter, who was a National Merit finalist a few years back, received several letters from schools encouraging her to apply--including one from the University of Oklahoma which made clear that the University offered significant scholarship aid, regardless of financial need, to all National Merit finalists (who then became National Merit Scholars by virtue of receiving the NM-designated grants from Oklahoma). Oklahoma is, of course, not alone in trying to upgrade its statistical profile, now that various ranking systems play such a big role in the process. The extensive marketing efforts by Ivy schools that already accept 10 percent or fewer of their applicants are another example (and increase application fees received at the same time). BTW, my daughter did not receive a National Merit Scholarship--and she went to Duke.

Don't kid yourself, statistics are just numbers, you can play with them all you want to get them to come out they way you want them to.

Point, University of Texas enrolled 245 NM's, one of the most. But they have a student population of about 50,000 (11,000 graduate and 39,000 undergraduate). That would be 1 in 204.

If Duke enrolled 75 (not sure how many they had) NM of a student population of 13,000 that would be 1 in 173.

Now Duke didn't enroll as many as UT but their ratio is better.

Thus, it comes down to what you want to promote, that you enrolled more NM's or that your population of students has a better representation of NM's amongst their student body.

As you come to understand this you will come to better understand our politics. Every stat they produce can be twisted in any direction they want it to. We may have the largest debt than any other country but we also are spending more.

Much like the picture of what looks like a witch and then you turn it upside down and you see a queen. Which way are you holding the picture?

Math

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    The ever dynamic Quincy Miller list of schools is back up to 5 with Marquette in about every other week,

http://www.slamonline.com/online/col...er-diary-no-2/
    Wouldn't that make it 4.5?

Tony Wroten announced for Washington today over, primarily, Louisville. Any Quincy experts out there think the fact that he wouldn't have Wroten, a top Louisville target, to play alongside, could be a negative for Quincy as he considers Louisville? Or no factor?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Tony Wroten announced for Washington today over, primarily, Louisville. Any Quincy experts out there think the fact that he wouldn't have Wroten, a top Louisville target, to play alongside, could be a negative for Quincy as he considers Louisville? Or no factor?
    Ive been saying all along he wont go to Louisville. People keep saying Petino will hole him back and not give him free reign on offense like Baylor or Duke would. Id say Louisville is 3rd with Baylor being ahead of everyone but QM still hasnt been to CTC yet either so we shall see

Might actually help Louisv with more PT for his buddy Deuce Bello who is also about 6'4" - ish.

The Cards lost 2 recruits to academics this year, but no Wroten is one less hurdle on scholarship limit of 13.

Goodman would have had a cow if the two guys he criticized for over tweeting both landed on same team.

I do not know much about Tony's tweets but see no problem with Quincy's, just a kid having fun and never malicous, except perhaps to UNC.

Smart move by Wroten. He was complaining about not getting any recruiting attention from Calipari, so he joins the Kentucky farm team.

Nike vs. Adidas?

http://www.sportvideosonline.com/bas...interview.html

Depends on whether you listen to his words or are distracted by his Adidas T-Shirt and Shoes.

Out of curiosity, how many of his now 5 schools are Adidas and How many are Nike?

Not something I follow other than I know Duke wears Nike

Duke - Nike
    Baylor -
    Louisville -
    Oklahoma -
    Marquette -

http://www.sportvideosonline.com/bas...interview.html

Depends on whether you listen to his words or are distracted by his Adidas T-Shirt and Shoes.

Out of curiosity, how many of his now 5 schools are Adidas and How many are Nike?

Not something I follow other than I know Duke wears Nike

Duke - Nike
    Baylor -
    Louisville -
    Oklahoma -
    Marquette -
    Two Nike schools (Duke & Oklahoma), two Adidas schools (Baylor & Louisville) and, I'm not sure, but I think Marquette is a Converse school.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Two Nike schools (Duke & Oklahoma), two Adidas schools (Baylor & Louisville) and, I'm not sure, but I think Marquette is a Converse school.
    It looks like Marquette switched to Jordan Brand (Nike) last year. So that's 3 Nike and 2 Adidas.

http://www.sportvideosonline.com/bas...interview.html...

Duke -
    Baylor -
    Louisville -
    Oklahoma -
    Marquette -
    I was fairly certain QM would be a late commit (spring 2011), but the Baylor investigation linked on the front page should confirm that.

Wonder how that will eventually will impact his recruitment?

I am torn. QM coming to Duke probably means that we would have lost Miles or Mason early. Kind of like the HB as a frosh v Kyle as a senior comparison - I would rather have the experienced kid over the one-and-done as a frosh. But Miles or Mason leaving early at least means that one would have had a very good year - so we probably did very well.

I am a big QM fan - any kid at his level that openly hates on unc is aces in my book - so the "drama" is interesting to me. He would be great to get but not critical.

If its not Duke, lets root for OU.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'm with you on that one. Would be good to see Capel land some big names.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I was fairly certain QM would be a late commit (spring 2011), but the Baylor investigation linked on the front page should confirm that.

Wonder how that will eventually will impact his recruitment?

I am torn. QM coming to Duke probably means that we would have lost Miles or Mason early. Kind of like the HB as a frosh v Kyle as a senior comparison - I would rather have the experienced kid over the one-and-done as a frosh. But Miles or Mason leaving early at least means that one would have had a very good year - so we probably did very well.

I am a big QM fan - any kid at his level that openly hates on unc is aces in my book - so the "drama" is interesting to me. He would be great to get but not critical.

It would only take one scholarship to open up in the Spring, and only if Quinn Cook does commit soon.

Before Miles or Mason departing, there are more likely scenarios, particularly Kryrie one and done and hopefully not the case, Tyler Adams not imrpoving his grades.

Duke posters (not directed at you) are often paranoid about decommits and transfers after Duke lands top recruits, but I do not think that is likely.

The 4 year guys would improve more daily in practice than they would with the incremental PT.

Seth would tell them first hand how tough it is for a competitive guy to have to sit out for a year., though in his case it was a step up to Duke, not a step down as transfer out of Duke would be.

@EvanDanielscout
    Per a message from @qmillertime he's only considering Baylor, L'ville & Duke right now. Will visit Duke for their midnight madness this wkd

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    @EvanDanielscout
    Per a message from @qmillertime he's only considering Baylor, L'ville & Duke right now. Will visit Duke for their midnight madness this wkd
    I think with QM, we need date and time in addition to citation. Maybe phase of the moon.

On the good side, we have recently been more consistently listed in his finalists - and his take on CTC should be amusing and insightful.

He does make recruiting fun doesn't he?

Not so fast... Baylor basketball is under NCAA investigation

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports...71764/25215035

The investigation is the latest dose of bad news for Baylor. The Bears' star guard, LaceDarius Dunn, was arrested last week and charged with felony assault because of a domestic dispute with the mother of his child. Dunn is currently suspended from classes. It's unclear if he'll ever play for Baylor again.

Could things be lining up for Duke???

Scott Drew

The allegations regarding Baylor shouldn't surprise anyone. Scott Drew has a reputation for pushing the envelope when it comes to recruiting tactics.

The loss of LaceDarius Dunn would be a huge setback for that team. He's a hoss.

Why would QM want to go to Baylor now?

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    The allegations regarding Baylor shouldn't surprise anyone. Scott Drew has a reputation for pushing the envelope when it comes to recruiting tactics.

Well if this is true, I hate that. I thought Drew did a nice job at Baylor and thought that he was a good all around guy. I liked how he carried himself during and after the Duke game. If this is true though, I lose all respect for him and his program.

The 4 year guys would improve more daily in practice than they would with the incremental PT.
    Why? Wouldn't they get the same amount of practice no matter how much they play?

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post

While I agree that this really hurts Baylor this year, I'm not sure that this affects the Miller recruitment much. First, Dunn is a senior, so he would not have played with Quincy anyway. Also, Dunn is not the end of Baylor's talent pipeline. They have a top 5 rectruit, Isaiah Austin, coming 2012.