Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    ... I don't think there's a simple answer to the counting question.
    You sound like you are reading from a unc mathematics doctoral thesis

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I just hope we continue to target many 3-4 year players as well and sprinkle in the OADs for some flavoring, and not the other way around. IMO, that is the formula for success.
    I agree with your sentiment, but I think we've got a pretty good blend moving forward. Dawkins, Kelly, Hairston, Thornton, Gbinje, Adams, and MP3 all seem like 3-4 year guys. There's still plenty of time to bring in guys for the 2012 class. Having the perfect mixture of OAD's and four-year guys is really challenging, and when an elite player comes along you have to take him IMO. With Irving, Rivers, and Miller we could potentially have three OAD's in a two-year period, but I don't think that's too many given the supporting cast around them.

I like QM's game although I think his athleticism is a tad on the overrated side.

Having said that:

a)I think Cook/Kanbongo is priority.
    b)I am a bit turned off by QM's antics. I just don't like the way he self-promotes. As a general rule, I don't think Duke should be involved with players who are in any way associated with John Calipari...whether mentioning him in a favorable way or being recruited by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    I like QM's game although I think his athleticism is a tad on the overrated side.

Having said that:

a)I think Cook/Kanbongo is priority.
    b)I am a bit turned off by QM's antics. I just don't like the way he self-promotes. As a general rule, I don't think Duke should be involved with players who are in any way associated with John Calipari...whether mentioning him in a favorable way or being recruited by him.
    If that were the case, we wouldn't have been involved with Austin Rivers or Kyrie Irving...

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Admittedly, I don't know QM from Adam, but he comes across to me as a guy who is really enjoying his life. He seems to have a bit of Ocho Cinco in him, which I find hilarious. It seems that we want our athletes to have some character but when they do, there's always a few that don't appreciate it. He's in his prime, and he's having fun. I hope he chooses Duke, and wish him well regardless. The world needs to lighten up, and definitely needs more QM's!

QM and his visit to Baylor

Does anybody know how QM's visit went with the Bears over the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    I'm guessing it went well.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

He's keeping the information close to his vest
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    He's keeping the information close to his vest
    How refreshing.

Re: QM and his visit to Baylor

Lots of hopefulness, but no definitive news here in Waco.

quite possibly the silliest thing i've ever read on a Duke message board.

Quote Originally Posted by shf9 View Post
    quite possibly the silliest thing i've ever read on a Duke message board.
    Agreed. That is a blunt declaration. What talented top prospect isn't recruited by Cal at some point? What sensible top recruit doesn't self-promote? You're basically arguing that we should have never recruited Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Agreed. That is a blunt declaration. What talented top prospect isn't recruited by Cal at some point? What sensible top recruit doesn't self-promote? You're basically arguing that we should have never recruited Kyrie.
    Or Austin?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I don't think Kyrie's approach to his recruitment and choice of college is equivalent to Quincy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I don't think Kyrie's approach to his recruitment and choice of college is equivalent to Quincy's.
    I don't think so either. Extremely different, in fact. Kyrie never seemed to enjoy toying with his audience the way Quincy does. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with either approach: Kyrie's is understated; Quincy's is entertaining. But I don't think you can deny that both of them self-promote.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    and on top of that, it over-simplifies a much larger issue by placing the blame for a wholly rotten system on a single operator within the system. this Cal-bashing is just so tired. EVERY coach is culpable for the current state of the recruiting circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Interesting. Does that mean a junior Andre Dawkins would be coming off the bench if Q came to Duke? It seems like a lock that Rivers and a junior Curry would start as lead guards, but I don't want Andre to get lost in the shuffle...

(Boy, it sure feels good to pencil in Rivers in these hypethicals!)
    I would not count Dre out of the discussion this year or next. IMO, Dre is better ultimately to play SG and his buddy Josh should migrate over time to WF, which would be rather crowded for a year with Quincy, Mike Gbinije, and Josh not even counting Dre who is undersized to play there, but could as could Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    I think QM rides it out until the end. Wherever he chooses to go, he will start immediately. If Mason has a huge year and plans to leave a year early, maybe QM considers Duke in the end. If not, I doubt we have any shot at all. He won't know that until spring, and I doubt he decides before then.

I like Baylor's chances. I like UL's chances (do you think Nunez is going to start over QM, please). I think we are on the outside looking in, but we are still around if we look really cool this year.
    Others have already commented on veracity of scholarship counts but cautioned possibility that no one leaves early and Duke has only one scholarship for first of Quinn Cook or Quincy Miller to accept.

I agree with your first paragraph, not so much with the second. Quincy can afford to wait until Spring to see what Kyrie, or Mason or Tyler Adams or someone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Well said but i still don’t like UL's chances over Duke and Baylor but that’s just my opinion. And the flair for QM at Duke is he will supposedly get to play major minutes at the 3 and some at the 4 where all the other teams want him to play strictly the 4.
    This is more how I am thinking. Duke needs Quincy more as a WF than as a PF with 3 Plums, Kelly and Adams plus Josh. With his slender size, Quincy may prefer to play and be more effective playing on the perimeter than to have to bang down low.

Quincy would also relish being the lynch pin that catapults Duke into #1 recruiting class, whereas at Baylor or Louisville, not even in the discussion.

What others may consider antics, I just consider Quincy being a kid having fun. He has never done anything malicious on Twitter from what I can tell. Need a class clown to replace Nolan.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 10-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Need a class clown to replace Nolan.
    There is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference between Nolan's off-the-court antics and QM's. Nolan is a fun-loving guy who genuinely seems to enjoy the company of others and knows when to be serious and when to have fun (off the court, I mean). IMO, QM is all about "Me! Me! Me!"

I'm indifferent on QM. If we get him, great! If we don't there is more than enough talent to make up for it (JH, RK, AD, possibly AR in a small, three guard line-up).

I really see QM as the ultimate luxury recruit. Either way, I think we're still FF material for 2011-2012 (and why am I already talking about next season?)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    The only person who sees an equivalancy is the poster who maintained that Duke should not recruit anyone also being recruited by John Calipari. So, your beef is with that post.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The only person who sees an equivalancy is the poster who maintained that Duke should not recruit anyone also being recruited by John Calipari. So, your beef is with that post.
    Actually, while I know that my post seemed to be in response to that previous post regarding John Calipari, I actually was using a single sentence "Indoor66-style" post to indicate my mild displeasure at the way Quincy Miller has conducted his recruitment when compared to, for example, Kyrie Irving, rather than actually and literally comparing the two. I am more a "I am fairly straightforward and open and don't get carried away with grand statements" type than a "I'll tell whichever coach I am talking to that I am coming to play at their school because I am super excited" type.