Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Does anyone else think Rivers' commitment will bring us Miller as well?

Think about how upset it's been reported he was at Cal at the football game if I remember correctly. He obviously was enticed to team up with Teague and Gilchrist and wouldn't have worried about not being the top dog and playing with other great players.

What better way to get back than to team up and Austin and make yourself the best group in the class over the Teague-Gilchrist-Davis coup

No inside info but from everything I've seen and read is that Miller is going to Louisville... You never know though... things can change fast and landing Rivers definitly helps but let's not get our hopes up... I say we should wait and see what comes out after his visit for CTC.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    To me this is getting at the heart of the One and Done issue, which we started to broach a year or two ago with Wall's recruitment, and I recall many highly regarded posters saying they would be OK if we didn't get him, b/c he was so certain to be gone after a year.

If we use all or many of our scholarships on one and done players, then that means we need to reload year after year like Calipari is doing. It can be done, but its quite tough, and given that the pool of players we can select from is smaller than most schools (by virtue of our academic standards and coach K's "character" standards), its even tougher for us.

Not to mention, last season proved just how valuable chemistry and continuity are to winning. Everyone knows Duke wasn't the most talented team, but we were still the best team by virtue of having a starting lineup of guys that had played ~100 games together by the end of the season.

I just hope we continue to target many 3-4 year players as well and sprinkle in the OADs for some flavoring, and not the other way around. IMO, that is the formula for success. But in the end I'm not a college basketball coach and so I revert back to what I always say: in K we trust. He has adapted to the changing landscape of recruiting, which, for better or worse, means targeting some OADs and I'm sure he'll figure out what is best for Duke to be a national title contender every year.
    Apparently I need to "spread some around" before I give you any comments, but great points. This is pretty much the perfect example of the two roads coaches can take: Player A is an undeniable top-5/NBA talent, very physically gifted for his position and flashy, and will be around for one year. Player B is undersized but gritty, not a freak athlete but a leader, ranked in the 21-30 range and projects to be a solid 4-year player.

One scholarship left: who do you take? And if you choose Player A, how much do you prioritize him over Player B if he's not a sure thing... at what point does it become the better option to simply pursue player B, who seems more likely to commit, and commit sooner?

Interesting issues, and it's why K gets paid the big bucks!

qmillertime: RT @1entertainment: If Tony Wroten goes Louisville won't be surprised to see Q Miller follow suit

Hmmmmm.

More Louisville news:

TheRecruitScoop Angel Nunez of Notre Dame Prep (MA) has committed to Louisville, according to @NYPost_Brazille.
    half a minute ago via web

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    More Louisville news:

TheRecruitScoop Angel Nunez of Notre Dame Prep (MA) has committed to Louisville, according to @NYPost_Brazille.
    half a minute ago via web
    Wow. Basically that is QMs position.

Are we getting into better position now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Wow. Basically that is QMs position.

Are we getting into better position now?
    You are not alone in wondering about QM's interest in UL:

goodmanonfox I wonder if Rick Pitino is worried now that Quincy Miller is swinging towards Baylor and that's why Louisville grabbed Nunez.
    28 minutes ago via TweetDeck

You are not alone in wondering about QM's interest in UL:

goodmanonfox I wonder if Rick Pitino is worried now that Quincy Miller is swinging towards Baylor and that's why Louisville grabbed Nunez.
    28 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    I guess it can only help if we aren't in the talk. I mean would anyone be surprised if Quincy swung it in some other direction, like us, with no evidence to indicate he would

This is interesting:

goodmanonfox: I have still been told that Duke is not really recruiting Quincy Miller.
    35 minutes ago via TweetDeck

And yet, Quincy will be at CTC

This is interesting:

goodmanonfox: I have still been told that Duke is not really recruiting Quincy Miller.
    35 minutes ago via TweetDeck

And yet, Quincy will be at CTC
    O he is being recruited just not very heavily. The focus is on Cook 1st Miller 2nd as of right now unless somthing has changed in the past month.

So QM is really giving me a headace. Does he honestly not have a favorite? Ive seen it listed as UK, Duke, and Louisville now its Baylor?? Is he really favoring one school or is he just feeling up each one before he picks a favorite? I feel safe he isnt going to UK because of the roster load and Louisville i dont think he will pick because of Pitino who is a great coach but really ristricts one and done players.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    O he is being recruited just not very heavily. The focus is on Cook 1st Miller 2nd as of right now unless somthing has changed in the past month.
    How do you know this?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I have that feeling too, but do you have any sources/links?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    How do you know this?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I have that feeling too, but do you have any sources/links?
    Well yea but its from a premium site so i cant post everything or go into more detail. I posted that about 1 month ago i think already and i got negative feedback saying my info was fluff and that i was lying but im deff a member of several sites and i assure you it is not fluff

My projection on his recruitment

I think QM rides it out until the end. Wherever he chooses to go, he will start immediately. If Mason has a huge year and plans to leave a year early, maybe QM considers Duke in the end. If not, I doubt we have any shot at all. He won't know that until spring, and I doubt he decides before then.

I like Baylor's chances. I like UL's chances (do you think Nunez is going to start over QM, please). I think we are on the outside looking in, but we are still around if we look really cool this year.

One other thing, I am confused by the counting of scholarships. Right now, we have 10 recruited guys on scholarship (Casey Peters has a scholarship, but he is a senior and was a walk-on). Nolan and Kyle are gone after this year (sadly)--8. Kyrie is likely gone--7. Mason is a maybe--6. That leaves at least 5, maybe up to 7 scholarships available, but likely 6. We have AR, TA, MG, and MP3 booked. That totals to a maximum of 12, but likely 11 scholarships used, maybe even down to 10. That leaves a likely 2 scholarships available. Quinn and QM could come, but like I said, I doubt QM comes our way unless one of our big guys goes (Mason most likely).

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    I think QM rides it out until the end. Wherever he chooses to go, he will start immediately. If Mason has a huge year and plans to leave a year early, maybe QM considers Duke in the end. If not, I doubt we have any shot at all. He won't know that until spring, and I doubt he decides before then.

I like Baylor's chances. I like UL's chances (do you think Nunez is going to start over QM, please). I think we are on the outside looking in, but we are still around if we look really cool this year.

One other thing, I am confused by the counting of scholarships. Right now, we have 10 recruited guys on scholarship (Casey Peters has a scholarship, but he is a senior and was a walk-on). Nolan and Kyle are gone after this year (sadly)--8. Kyrie is likely gone--7. Mason is a maybe--6. That leaves at least 5, maybe up to 7 scholarships available, but likely 6. We have AR, TA, MG, and MP3 booked. That totals to a maximum of 12, but likely 11 scholarships used, maybe even down to 10. That leaves a likely 2 scholarships available. Quinn and QM could come, but like I said, I doubt QM comes our way unless one of our big guys goes (Mason most likely).
    Well said but i still dont like UL's chances over Duke and Baylor but thats just my opinion. And the flair for QM at Duke is he will supposedly get to play major minutes at the 3 and some at the 4 where all the other teams want him to play strictly the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Well said but i still dont like UL's chances over Duke and Baylor but thats just my opinion. And the flair for QM at Duke is he will supposedly get to play major minutes at the 3 and some at the 4 where all the other teams want him to play strictly the 4.
    Interesting. Does that mean a junior Andre Dawkins would be coming off the bench if Q came to Duke? It seems like a lock that Rivers and a junior Curry would start as lead guards, but I don't want Andre to get lost in the shuffle...

(Boy, it sure feels good to pencil in Rivers in these hypethicals!)

One other thing, I am confused by the counting of scholarships.
    If one or two Duke players leave early, as you suggest, it won't be a problem. But if nobody leaves early we have just one more to give for 2011-12. If there's a lockout (which seems to be a reasonable possibility), who knows what anyone will choose to do as far as leaving early? If nobody knows if there's going to be a lockout or not by the time the kids have to decide whether to stay or leave early (which seems to be almost a certainty), again it's hard to predict what Kyrie, etc., will do.

So I don't think there's a simple answer to the counting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If one or two Duke players leave early, as you suggest, it won't be a problem. But if nobody leaves early we have just one more to give for 2011-12. If there's a lockout (which seems to be a reasonable possibility), who knows what anyone will choose to do as far as leaving early? If nobody knows if there's going to be a lockout or not by the time the kids have to decide whether to stay or leave early (which seems to be almost a certainty), again it's hard to predict what Kyrie, etc., will do.

So I don't think there's a simple answer to the counting question.
    I can see that, but I just wanted to get a clear count. My numbers are right, right? The great variable of the lockout could change that dynamic. That is why I think Quincy Miller waits until the end to decide where to go. He doesn't have to commit any time soon. He will start anywhere. So why commit, just wait to see how it all shakes out and go wherever suits him best. I still think Kentucky will kick themselves for taking Anthony Davis when QM seemed very interested in them.

I can see that, but I just wanted to get a clear count. My numbers are right, right?
    Yes, your numbers are right. We have eight scholarship underclassmen plus (currently) four committed freshmen-to-be, leaving one scholarship for certain plus however many leave early (which due to the lockout might be zero).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Interesting. Does that mean a junior Andre Dawkins would be coming off the bench if Q came to Duke? It seems like a lock that Rivers and a junior Curry would start as lead guards, but I don't want Andre to get lost in the shuffle...

(Boy, it sure feels good to pencil in Rivers in these hypethicals!)
    Dont forget we got Tyler and potentially Cook as well. It would probly be like this:
    PG: Curry/ Main Bn player Cook
    SG: Rivers/ Main Bn player Dawkins
    SF: QM/ Main Bn player MG

But dont forget Curry could come out for a bit and move AR to point then bring in dawkins since K doesnt alway use young guys to get substantial pt in acc games unless they are true studs. So AR could be the primary sub for Curry and Dawkins comes in at the 2 while Curry is out. And this doesnt include playing time he could recieve from other players being injured or in foul trouble say QM get injured then Dawkins becomes the first off the bench for MG, or Curry or AR get hurt then he becomes the starter.