Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    saw on quincy's twitter he was trying to convince Nolan, Kyrie and Mase Plumlee to team up with himself for a NC pro-am game. Cool to see him trying to hang with the dukies... Nolan just laughed at the comment and he said something like "come'on man lets do it!!"

http://twitter.com/qmillertime
    WOW would it be impressive if we had 2 top 5 players in the 2011 class. He does seem to like Duke a lot. would be nice if K and Nate James put the full court press on this kid. I have a hunch if Rivers commits it would be too sweet of a deal for Miller not to commit.

Even though I have a very very good feeling both are one and done though

I have to say that I feel like I did about Kyrie with this kid. He is so charismatic that I will like him, even if he goes elsewhere (it will kill me to do so, but I will like him)!

Now that MP3 has committed to Duke, how will this affect QM's recruitment? We know Duke is still one of QM's many favorites, but with another big signing, it would probably mean less playing time for him. Would we even have a scholarship to offer QM anymore?
    Last edited by deeejazzy; 07-11-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deeejazzy View Post
    Now that MP3 has committed to Duke, how will this affect QM's recruitment? We know Duke is still one of QM's many favorites, but with another big singing, it would probably mean less playing time for him. Would we even have a scholarship to offer QM anymore?
    If we are still going hard after Q, it really shouldn't affect his recruitment much. They play different positions (mp3 - 5, Q-3/4) and, yes, we still have 2 more scholarships to offer, should both AR and Q want to commit.

I'm sure QM would play over MP3 if they were going to play the same position regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by amazinballer323 View Post
    I'm sure QM would play over MP3 if they were going to play the same position regardless.
    Well, that is true (if they played the same positions). Marshall is more of a project big man who most likely won't get many minutes as a freshman (think Miles or Ryan in their frosh years) while Quincy is a top 5 recruit that will contribute right away. Besides, by the time Marshall would be ready to legitimately contribute, Quincy will be gone to the NBA.

This really should have no affect on Quincy's recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by amazinballer323 View Post
    I see QM as a one and done wannabe, and I think MP1 and MP2 would start next year at 4/5. Q as a growing 6'10" would play 4 and take some minutes at 5 as well. Before MP3, I'd guess QM would rake in around 15-18 min/game, now he's splitting time with MP3, Ryan, and Adams. I'd put him at around 10 min/game now. For someone with a one-and-done mentality, QM would never come under those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    If we are still going hard after Q, it really shouldn't affect his recruitment much. They play different positions (mp3 - 5, Q-3/4) and, yes, we still have 2 more scholarships to offer, should both AR and Q want to commit.
    From what I read, they really are different players anyway. MP3 in 7'-plus and a true post guy (maybe some 4), whereas QM is more of a lithe, athletic, quick 6'9" type much more likely to create his own shots, grab the attention of defenses, etc. Along that theme, I see MP3 taking a year or more to start eating up lots of minutes, and don't think QM is likely to be around all that long.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    From what I read, they really are different players anyway. MP3 in 7'-plus and a true post guy (maybe some 4), whereas QM is more of a lithe, athletic, quick 6'9" type much more likely to create his own shots, grab the attention of defenses, etc. Along that theme, I see MP3 taking a year or more to start eating up lots of minutes, and don't think QM is likely to be around all that long.
    Hmm..my previous post...

Well, that is true (if they played the same positions). Marshall is more of a project big man who most likely won't get many minutes as a freshman (think Miles or Ryan in their frosh years) while Quincy is a top 5 recruit that will contribute right away. Besides, by the time Marshall would be ready to legitimately contribute, Quincy will be gone to the NBA.
    Pretty similar eh?

I see QM as a one and done wannabe, and I think MP1 and MP2 would start next year at 4/5. Q as a growing 6'10" would play 4 and take some minutes at 5 as well. Before MP3, I'd guess QM would rake in around 15-18 min/game, now he's splitting time with MP3, Ryan, and Adams. I'd put him at around 10 min/game now. For someone with a one-and-done mentality, QM would never come under those circumstances.
    This really doesn't make much sense. As others have explained, Miller simply isn't a center, and wouldn't play that position at Duke. Miller wouldn't be competing for minutes with Miles, Marshall or Adams, he would be competing for time at the 3 and the 4. With Singler's graduation there will be minutes there.

Who advocates loading the team with one and dones

In the past, coach K has certainly tried to builld teams with excellent players, but not ones who clearly would be gone in one year. Sometimes it happens, but I still think coach K would pick guys who at least say they are in for more. It appears there are questions about a couple of star recruits having one year in mind. I don't think coach K would still be recruiting them if they opening say the object is to make the NBA next year.

I hope that a change is made to NBA policy which removes the hard choices for the coaches and players.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    In the past, coach K has certainly tried to builld teams with excellent players, but not ones who clearly would be gone in one year. Sometimes it happens, but I still think coach K would pick guys who at least say they are in for more. It appears there are questions about a couple of star recruits having one year in mind. I don't think coach K would still be recruiting them if they opening say the object is to make the NBA next year.

I hope that a change is made to NBA policy which removes the hard choices for the coaches and players.
    I think that many people have unfairly stigmatized 1 and done recruits. Not all 1 and dones are entangled with agents, etc. Not all 1 and dones are horrible students. Not all 1 and dones fail to "unpack their bags," as Coach K likes to say. If I were Quincy Miller or Austin Rivers or any other recruit that had the talent and potential to jump to the NBA after one season in college, that would be my goal. Many posters on this board went to Duke because it was a top school academically. I'm sure a few graduated early or, at the very least, were excited and eager to move on to bigger things in their field after Duke's undergrad program had prepared them. These recruits are no different and there is no rule that says that a recruit who is talented enough to have the realistic goal of jumping to the NBA after one season won't embrace college while they are there. By all accounts, both Austin and Quincy seem to be very realistic about their games and are both eager to learn and improve. If they are eager and willing to buy into what Coach K and the staff will teach them and then emerge from that one season as lottery picks, so what? As long as they embrace Duke while they are there (fingers crossed), we should not judge them unfairly for having the talent to make a jump to the highest level of their profession after one year in college.

Coach K and Duke are adapting to the changing world of college basketball. I'm very happy with their proactivity and ability to make adjustments to the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    This really doesn't make much sense. As others have explained, Miller simply isn't a center, and wouldn't play that position at Duke. Miller wouldn't be competing for minutes with Miles, Marshall or Adams, he would be competing for time at the 3 and the 4. With Singler's graduation there will be minutes there.
    I understand that Miller isn't a center but picture this. Mason and Miles are in at 4 and 5, Miles who is playing 4 comes out, Mason switches over to 4 and Marshall comes in to take minutes at 5. Even though MP3 and Q play different positions, other guys like MP1 and MP2 play both positions, and can take minutes away from a non-starter by switching over. That being said, if Q wants to play 3, then I agree its a non-issue.

I understand that Miller isn't a center but picture this. Mason and Miles are in at 4 and 5, Miles who is playing 4 comes out, Mason switches over to 4 and Marshall comes in to take minutes at 5. Even though MP3 and Q play different positions, other guys like MP1 and MP2 play both positions, and can take minutes away from a non-starter by switching over. That being said, if Q wants to play 3, then I agree its a non-issue.
    It is a non-issue. It is not certain that MP1 or 2 will even be there. More importantly, QM is a stud. Studs get minutes. It's like a great hitter in baseball. You find at bats for him regardless of where you have to play him. You just do.

You're missing the point. Marshall wouldn't take minutes from Miller as a freshman. He won't take minutes from Kelly or Hairston, either. His recruitment won't affect anyone's minutes in 2011-2012, because he won't be ready to play more than spot minutes in 2011-2012.

Opinion

in my humble opinion the Quincy boat has sailed. I would be very, very shocked if he were to come to Duke. He is in love with John Wall (calling him, like a brother) and everything Kentucky. I don't know how many on here have actually seen Quincy play but if you have, you know he's a 6'10" (i estimated his height by watching him stand next to Harrison Barnes who is listed at 6'8", Quincy is a good 2" taller than Barnes) 2 guard. He likes to play outside, he is a talent but he's also not what you would call intense. Yes' he's intense on getting his way on the court but he's not intense enough to bear down and grit out a situation when he 's behind. I just don't see him allowing K to coach him, i do see Calipari every time i look at his game. He will be a good player, he's ranked on potential and he has plenty of that. If he were to come to Duke i would welcome him, if not, we move on.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Coach K and Duke are adapting to the changing world of college basketball. I'm very happy with their proactivity and ability to make adjustments to the status quo.
    well put i agree completely

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    in my humble opinion the Quincy boat has sailed. I would be very, very shocked if he were to come to Duke. He is in love with John Wall (calling him, like a brother) and everything Kentucky. I don't know how many on here have actually seen Quincy play but if you have, you know he's a 6'10" (i estimated his height by watching him stand next to Harrison Barnes who is listed at 6'8", Quincy is a good 2" taller than Barnes) 2 guard. He likes to play outside, he is a talent but he's also not what you would call intense. Yes' he's intense on getting his way on the court but he's not intense enough to bear down and grit out a situation when he 's behind. I just don't see him allowing K to coach him, i do see Calipari every time i look at his game. He will be a good player, he's ranked on potential and he has plenty of that. If he were to come to Duke i would welcome him, if not, we move on.
    He and Michael Gilchrist would form quite a formidable front court, but as we saw this year a team of top recruits does not guarantee anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    He and Michael Gilchrist would form quite a formidable front court, but as we saw this year a team of top recruits does not guarantee anything.
    All depends on your goals...