Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    It's a very different model than even the more traditional powers like Ravenscroft, Greensboro Day, Charlotte Latin, etc, who maintain a solid depth of talent each year largely through the size of their school and their reputation, rather than solely relying on aggressive recruiting. I'm sure it's good for elite recruits, but I don't know how great it is for HS basketball in general. For example, according to NCISAA.org, #4 seed and eventual 1-A state champ United Faith beat the #13 seed by 65 points in the state tournament. I don't know, I just hate to say a mockery being made of the kids that are just playing for the school the grew up in (be it public or private), because that's what makes HS basketball special. The "factories" should have a different classification at least, IMO.

[/Rant]
    It all started when they let in Word of God...the 1A classification has gone downhill ever since. Not that Word of God is a bad school (I actually respect Kevin Washington a lot), but the tradition small private schools that might see a D1 player once in their entire history shouldn't be forced to compete against what are essentially elite AAU teams in all but name. I played at a 2A school, but about half of our non-conference schedule was made up of 1A schools due to location and geography. It's very disconcerting to play against a team that calls its plays out in German, or you seeing the star player you hated/respected from last year riding the bench his senior year because a new coach brought in an entire AAU team...my senior year, a long standing school actually in part due to their "deal with the devil" for basketball that year.

Quincy Miller recruiting thread

According to his Twitter, Quincy Miller will be in attendance at tonight's game in Cameron.

Miller seems to really like Duke, and he looks like an elite NBA-caliber talent. I hope the staff pushes hard for an early commitment, especially since I have little doubt Roy Williams will start pursuing Miller once Davis and/or Henson turn pro early.

It would be nice if the Crazies went all out again tonight for Quincy as they did for Irving and Barnes.

QM highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5poHO_pFdE

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    According to his Twitter, Quincy Miller will be in attendance at tonight's game in Cameron.

Miller seems to really like Duke, and he looks like an elite NBA-caliber talent. I hope the staff pushes hard for an early commitment, especially since I have little doubt Roy Williams will start pursuing Miller once Davis and/or Henson turn pro early.

It would be nice if the Crazies went all out again tonight for Quincy as they did for Irving and Barnes.

QM highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5poHO_pFdE
    I'm not going to say that word that rhymes with rock... but I'm thinking about it...

After what we've seen from Henson to start the season, I highly doubt that he will be leaving early. And since Miller is affiliated with D-One Sports (and Brian Clifton), he will probably be less likely to look at UNC then most kids in North Carolina. It seems like Kentucky will be one of the main rivals going up against Duke for his signature, but I can only wonder if he really wants to play in the shadow of Michael Gilchrist in his first year.

Hopefully Quincy will be a Blue Devil by this time, next year.

2000 posts to go...let's enjoy this but not get too caught up...fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I'm not going to say that word that rhymes with rock... but I'm thinking about it...
    Are you trying to say that he is a sock? He probably is a jock, but probably not a clock. Most of the rest I will just leave alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    Hopefully Quincy will be a Blue Devil by this time, next year.
    Isn't he in the class of 2011? Or do you mean you hope he signs by this time next year?

Yep, hopefully he will sign in the early period next year. It would be great to get a marquee player in a position of need as early as possible.

Gilchrist & Miller

Is Gilchrist considered a Kentucky lean or is he holding his recruitment close the vest? Sorry to use two fantastic buzzwords, but it was too tempting. I have read that Gilcrhist is potentially even better than HB.

Who is a good comparison for QM? Is he really a 3/4 tweener like Deng was?

Anyone seen him play (other than YouTube?)

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Who is a good comparison for QM? Is he really a 3/4 tweener like Deng was?

Anyone seen him play (other than YouTube?)
    He says in a YouTube interview that he models his game after Kevin Durant. I don't know if that means that he plays like Kevin Durant, but maybe he is some sort of slightly shorter, hybrid Kevin Durant. He says he is definitely a forward though. He looks really skinny. I don't think he has the size of a 4, but he has more skills than a 4, so he is probably some sort of 3/4 tweener.

Gilchrist is considered such a UK lock that Villanova is the only other school in the country that is even bothering to recruit him.

Nevermind on the Quincy Miller at the game tonight:

http://twitter.com/qmillertime

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

So he's announcing for Carolina tonight I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    So he's announcing for Carolina tonight I guess...

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

How would you not already know you have a game tonight? I am not saying, I am just saying.

Are we all fallin' for this "new" technology stuff hook, line and sinker?? If it's on tweeter, it has to be true??? Please tell me there is a better explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    How would you not already know you have a game tonight? I am not saying, I am just saying.
    my thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSince'77 View Post
    Are we all fallin' for this "new" technology stuff hook, line and sinker?? If it's on tweeter, it has to be true??? Please tell me there is a better explanation...
    Well if it is truly his account, I am sure he knows what he is tweeting. Not sure I truly understand your response. This new technology stuff has made an impact in every aspect of college recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSince'77 View Post
    He has an inter-squad scrimmage tonight and a game tomorrow. When it comes directly from the recruit why would you consider it untrue? Because it's not coming from a newsworthy source like zags? For the record, here is his twitter page:

Not that people can't claim to be someone else but in the case of high profile college basketball recruits, all of whom have the major scouting services also following them on twitter, why would you question the authenticity?