Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

This is good point

I think we have been to hard on K. How can he compete with Judd?

Ncaa violation??

Hey guys first time poster...been lingering since john wall. But back to topic here, i checked qmiller's twitter and there's a uk fan telling him "...well u need to make it officail soon u and gilchrist here at UK doin big things....lil Wayne best rapper alive?"....i was just wondering if there was some sort of ncaa rule against stuff like this? This annoyed me to the point where i had to post and ask this. The good thing is Quincy ignored that tweet from him but still seems kind of low for a fan to do stuff like this.
    Last edited by dukerules5594; 01-18-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

troll

Quote Originally Posted by dukerules5594 View Post
    Hey guys first time poster...been lingering since john wall. But back to topic here, i checked qmiller's twitter and there's a uk fan telling him "...well u need to make it officail soon u and gilchrist here at UK doin big things....lil Wayne best rapper alive?"....i was just wondering if there was some sort of ncaa rule against stuff like this? This annoyed me to the point where i had to post and ask this. The good thing is Quincy ignored that tweet from him but still seems kind of low for a fan to do stuff like this.

It's low, but it's no different than hundreds of students screaming "Quincy Miller, come to Duke!" How would youthe NCAA be able to control what some kid on twitter or facebook says? And who would you punish? I friended Carrick Felix on facebook and said "I played you when you were at Milennium! Take your throwdowns to Duke!"

Quote Originally Posted by dukerules5594 View Post
    Not practical to force upon schools to control their fans and any rule would be impossible to police. You'd have plenty of fake accounts where an UNC fan posed as Duke fans and vice versa to get their rival in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Not practical to force upon schools to control their fans and any rule would be impossible to police. You'd have plenty of fake accounts where an UNC fan posed as Duke fans and vice versa to get their rival in trouble.
    Actually, the NCAA does have expectations that schools police their boosters. Look in the stickies for a link to Duke's Compliance info if you're curious.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Actually, the NCAA does have expectations that schools police their boosters. Look in the stickies for a link to Duke's Compliance info if you're curious.

-jk
    But isn't a "booster" a little different than a "fan"?

Troll? Actually no not at all. How do you figure? I'm sixteen and been about as die hard of a duke fan you can be for as long I can remember....i live in illinois and my big brother 8 years older is a major Unc fan. I have theories of how it all turned out but no solid reason. lol. But ya i was kind of tired and not thinking when i posted that (and sort of first post gitters too). Probably not a very good first post. I just saw that and was half thinking about entering this world of "tweeting" just to tweet recruits. Then i thought there might be something wrong with that more then ethically like ncaa infraction. So finally after dbr being my homepage for 8 months or something like that i decided to post...but okay back to topic i really hope Quincy decided to come to duke...him, Austin rivers, and MP3 and ill be one happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    But isn't a "booster" a little different than a "fan"?
    Not in Duke's eyes, as far as NCAA compliance is concerned.

Wow. That is interesting and a little surprising to me. Thanks for the insight. I would never of guessed that being a fan of a team made you a representative of the institution. I need to behave a little better when I am watching the games!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Wow. That is interesting and a little surprising to me. Thanks for the insight. I would never of guessed that being a fan of a team made you a representative of the institution. I need to behave a little better when I am watching the games!
    I would think that Duke has to say that to cover themselves. I would doubt that they could be held responsible for someone who has no current official affiliation with the University, i.e. student, Iron Duke, etc. This would especially be true in regards to the internet, because I doubt that the NCAA has rules currently in place specifically regarding social networking.

FWIW, Miller's latest tweets are him cheering for Texas, even though a Texas loss means Kentucky is the new #1.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I would think that Duke has to say that to cover themselves. I would doubt that they could be held responsible for someone who has no current official affiliation with the University, i.e. student, Iron Duke, etc. This would especially be true in regards to the internet, because I doubt that the NCAA has rules currently in place specifically regarding social networking.
    You'd be surprised what the University thinks it can be held accountable for... during the HB and Kyrie recruitments and official visits the students tried to organize different cheers, posters, signs, etc., and University officials all but ripped them out of our hands. So they certainly take this seriously...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    There is no way the NCAA can police social networking sites due to the anonymity of internet posters.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    There is no way the NCAA can police social networking sites due to the anonymity of internet posters.
    The university shut down several facebook groups dealing with recruiting of barnes...the student responded by changing the name slightly so it didn't mention the name, just 'a certain recruit from xxxxx'
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The university shut down several facebook groups dealing with recruiting of barnes...the student responded by changing the name slightly so it didn't mention the name, just 'a certain recruit from xxxxx'
    I think he meant single post. Say I send quincy a privite message on facebook telling him he should go to duke and i list reasons why. Ncaa can't prevent me from doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    I think he meant single post. Say I send quincy a privite message on facebook telling him he should go to duke and i list reasons why. Ncaa can't prevent me from doing that.
    Maybe the NCAA can't, but it doesn't mean you should.

This is only mildly related to QM since both Duke and uk are recruiting this guy...

However, I'm kinda surprised this hasnt gotten more pub in SOME capacity
    Dinner for 6 at the Calipari's Home with Ashley Judd

Is it too much to dream that someone with nefarious intent and deep pockets wins this auction and shows up to dinner with John Chaney, Jim Isch, Mike Wallace and a 2 person production crew?

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    My avatar isn't very attractive either.

(Probably thinks it's Shelden, too.)

ricks
    Um...it is.

Dang It!

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    This is only mildly related to QM since both Duke and uk are recruiting this guy...

However, I'm kinda surprised this hasnt gotten more pub in SOME capacity
    Dinner for 6 at the Calipari's Home with Ashley Judd

Is it too much to dream that someone with nefarious intent and deep pockets wins this auction and shows up to dinner with John Chaney, Jim Isch, Mike Wallace and a 2 person production crew?
    $30,000 was my limit - just got outbid!!