Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If QM comes to Duke, I hope he grows to be as large as Nick Horvath.

Guess we'll have to wait until spring to find out.
    Better yet... he could be Casey Sanders with an outside shot and a little handle. I bet he'll kill in the Blue/White games!

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If QM comes to Duke, I hope he grows to be as large as Nick Horvath.

Guess we'll have to wait until spring to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Better yet... he could be Casey Sanders with an outside shot and a little handle. I bet he'll kill in the Blue/White games!
    Here we go again, downplaying a recruit's skills because we think he might be leaning away from Duke. From everything I've heard and read, QM is a franchise-player type. I'd really like him to come to Duke, but if he doesn't, that won't change how good I expect him to be (just as it won't change that he seems to be a really good kid).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Here we go again, downplaying a recruit's skills because we think he might be leaning away from Duke. From everything I've heard and read, QM is a franchise-player type. I'd really like him to come to Duke, but if he doesn't, that won't change how good I expect him to be (just as it won't change that he seems to be a really good kid).
    That's not what I was doing. I know he's an elite talent. I have said as much in my previous post in this thread. I was just playing along with the height jokes. Let's not forget that Casey was a top-20 recruit, ranked higher than Dunleavy, Casey Jacobson, Drew Gooden, Kareem Rush, Nick Collison, and Joe Johnson. I don't even think Quincy is a clear Kentucky lean.

Calm down.

That's not what I was doing. I know he's an elite talent. I have said as much in my previous post in this thread. I was just playing along with the height jokes. Let's not forget that Casey was a top-20 recruit, ranked higher than Dunleavy, Casey Jacobson, Drew Gooden, Kareem Rush, Nick Collison, and Joe Johnson. I don't even think Quincy is a clear Kentucky lean.

Calm down.
    Sorry if I overreacted. But it does seem to me that a Duke fan compares a player to Nick Horvath and Casey Sanders they are not being complimentary. (Which also isn't nice or fair to Nick and Casey, but that's a discussion for a different day.)

Also, Casey Sanders's high ranking was based almost purely on potential (a potential he never reached, sadly). Everything I read at the time stressed he was relatively new to basketball and would be a major project. Quincy Miller is not that sort of player at all. Most reports I've read suggest he'll be an impact player starting with the first game of his freshman year.

As far as whether Quincy is a Kentucky lean, I agree it's too early to tell.

"I don't believe that we won that game"

How did Duke do in the ACC Tournament last year, when Singler had 54 points, 24 rebounds and 9 blocks? Or at Purdue, when Singler had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a road win against a top-ten team? Did his 22 points against Davidson or 21 against Rhode Island help or hurt Duke's ability to withstand spirited upset bids? How about that 16-rebound game against Big East bully Georgetown last year?

The implication that Singler somehow doesn't play well in big wins is awfully hard to support. This kid has made beaucoup big plays in his 2+ seasons at Duke and is going to make a lot more.

Boy, no kidding

I think that Kyle Singler has had a great career so far, even by Duke standards. I am perplexed by those who think that he is now the third best Duke player and by those who think that he really isn't good enough to go to the NBA at this point.

I suspect that we will look back on this thread in April and realize how silly it was.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "I don't believe that we won that game"

How did Duke do in the ACC Tournament last year, when Singler had 54 points, 24 rebounds and 9 blocks? Or at Purdue, when Singler had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a road win against a top-ten team? Did his 22 points against Davidson or 21 against Rhode Island help or hurt Duke's ability to withstand spirited upset bids? How about that 16-rebound game against Big East bully Georgetown last year?

The implication that Singler somehow doesn't play well in big wins is awfully hard to support. This kid has made beaucoup big plays in his 2+ seasons at Duke and is going to make a lot more.
    I don't want to get in the middle of something that's none of my business, but I believe the original poster's point was that Kyle doesn't play well when he plays 40 minutes (or almost 40). Of course, that point is patently false as well; the ACC tourney last year is proof enough that Kyle can play the entire game (or three entire games) at an extremely high level, but just saying I don't think anyone was suggesting Kyle doesn't play well in big wins.

I've heard people think he will grow that tall, but is he really that tall now?
    I've read elsewhere he is 6'10". My bad. As of Dec. 15th he is listed at 6'9" in an article on Scout.com.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I've read elsewhere he is 6'10". My bad. As of Dec. 15th he is listed at 6'9" in an article on Scout.com.
    Hard to tell since the services list him at 6'7" and 6'8" respectively. He could well have grown since then and the services are behind the times. I still think it is early to give a lot of time to talking about him. The spring will be soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Hard to tell since the services list him at 6'7" and 6'8" respectively. He could well have grown since then and the services are behind the times. I still think it is early to give a lot of time to talking about him. The spring will be soon enough.
    Those listings are not necessarily sources of good information. Just sayin'... Regardless, he's a solid player and will make a huge impact at whatever school he decides to attend, regardless of his size.

I've heard he is up to 6'10" as well but I don't know is this is true. It is so hard to get accurate information on height. It doesn't help that some teams measure with shoes and some don't. Then there are other teams/sources that seem to simply eyeball the measurements!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I really don't see Kyle making that big a jump. Will Kyle improve? Of course he will. But I don't see him making that big a leap as G.

Secondly, Kyle hasn't shown the ability to take over a game. That is what I really want to see. Jon has, you can make the argument that Nolan has, but Kyle hasn't. IMO, this is why I feel Kyle isn't playing well. He is trying to take over games, but not succeeding.
    I don't want to get in the middle of something that's none of my business, but I believe the original poster's point was that Kyle doesn't play well when he plays 40 minutes (or almost 40). Of course, that point is patently false as well; the ACC tourney last year is proof enough that Kyle can play the entire game (or three entire games) at an extremely high level, but just saying I don't think anyone was suggesting Kyle doesn't play well in big wins.
    General criticism of Kyle's game, not just the "wears out if he plays too many minutes" theme, I thought.

After a 35 point win over a ranked team, most people would be hard pressed to find the negative, but some do.

Call me nuts, but I don't see why we are all fixated on Quincy Miller. Why aren't we concentrating on someone who is a true wing player? We have Ryan Kelly who is going to be a great player and Josh Hairston, who again, will be a great player and they all have the same position. Not sure why we wouldn't be going after Mike Gilchrist, who is teammates with KI or Adonis Thomas.

If we get him here on a steady diet and workout regimen, I'm sure we can control his height fluctuations.

I wonder if Quincy is reading?

qmillertime I was measured recently and I am 6'10 and I weigh 202..thanks God! I hope I don't reach 7'0 lol

Q, if you are reading, come to Duke and shine. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    Q, if you are reading, come to Duke and shine. Simple as that.
    Duke is barely 90 minutes from Winston, 75 minutes if I'm driving!

This article has some nice praise for Qunicy's play in the Kreul Classic.
    Last edited by juise; 12-23-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: forgot "the"

Wink Yes, but

This article has some nice praise for Qunicy's play in Kreul Classic.
    He's shrunk to 6'8".

Quincy Miller checks in

Good to see Quincy checking out the Duke game yesterday...We really do need him.

qmillertime Haha the Dukies had fun with that tonight!

qmillertime Duke Game
    The Terrapin Assassin