Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    A UK take on Q's visit to Louisville a couple of weeks ago. No mention of Duke, but interesting nonetheless.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=59697

now its time to focus on miller I would assume

Call me stupid. But I dunno if I even want Q now. I highly doubt we'll get him because I just don't think we'll have enough to go around for him but I think we'll have all the firepower we'll need. Especially if Kryrie stays. I like Gbinje and I think Hairston and Kelly will prove to be very good at the forward position. With Ty, Seth, Dre, and Austin at the guard spot I think we'll be in great position. But then again now that I think about it getting Q would pretty much seal the deal on a 3 peat if we get the 2nd one this year. Hmm...I dunno about Mr. Miller tho

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlueDevil View Post
    Call me stupid. But I dunno if I even want Q now. I highly doubt we'll get him because I just don't think we'll have enough to go around for him but I think we'll have all the firepower we'll need. Especially if Kryrie stays. I like Gbinje and I think Hairston and Kelly will prove to be very good at the forward position. With Ty, Seth, Dre, and Austin at the guard spot I think we'll be in great position. But then again now that I think about it getting Q would pretty much seal the deal on a 3 peat if we get the 2nd one this year. Hmm...I dunno about Mr. Miller tho
    He's a top 10 recruit...of course we'd love to have him! He's also got a great personality and solid relationships with Duke players and recruits.

Awesome player.

Great personality.

Plays well with others.

Fills a "need" (a "4" with outside skills, a la Laettner or Kyle (yrs 1 & 2))

Hates carolina

I REALLY hope he gets caught up in the emotion at CTC.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Awesome player.

Great personality.

Plays well with others.

Hates carolina

Well BD if that's the situation then I'm all for it. I just want to remember the fact that it doesn't always take every single 5* recruit each year to win a NC. Just ask Memphis and Kentucky. While I love QM too and am a huge fan...I just don't want us to get too greedy and lose focus on what this program is about. But I'll repeat if the situation is exactly how you see it BD I'm in. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Awesome player.

Great personality.

Plays well with others.

Hates carolina

BTW I think we may already have this type of player with Kelly or Hairston. Maybe not a pure 3pt shooter but both have very good shooting skills.

BTW I think we may already have this type of player with Kelly or Hairston. Maybe not a pure 3pt shooter but both have very good shooting skills.
    Hairston has 3-pt range? Kelly has the athleticism of QM? QM is an interesting player - he reminds me of a Kevin Durant-light (okay, very light).

I would love QM next year, but I really don't think he's a necessity at all. With AR, SC, AD, one or two MPs, R. Kelly, and possibly KI, we will have a strong scoring roster.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Since we landed AR, do we have two scholarships, one for Q Miller and one for Q Cook?

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    Since we landed AR, do we have two scholarships, one for Q Miller and one for Q Cook?
    If no one leaves early, i think we'll only have one available:
    2015 Rivers, gbinije, marshall plumlee, adams
    2014 Irving, Hairston, Thornton
    2013 Mason Plumlee, Dawkings, Kelly, Curry
    2012 Miles plumlee

It's probable that Mason or Kyrie leaves after this year, but I'm not sure what K's practice has been as to offering more scholarships than available. I remember Lee paid a year himself and I think Trajan Langdon did as well, but I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding it. Austin could likely afford it, but it seems like it would be poor form to ask that of him, especially after he did the program a huge favor by making his decision relatively early on and not dragging out the process until the spring signing period.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    If no one leaves early, i think we'll only have one available:
    2015 Rivers, gbinije, marshall plumlee, adams
    2014 Irving, Hairston, Thornton
    2013 Mason Plumlee, Dawkings, Kelly, Curry
    2012 Miles plumlee

It's probable that Mason or Kyrie leaves after this year, but I'm not sure what K's practice has been as to offering more scholarships than available. I remember Lee paid a year himself and I think Trajan Langdon did as well, but I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding it. Austin could likely afford it, but it seems like it would be poor form to ask that of him, especially after he did the program a huge favor by making his decision relatively early on and not dragging out the process until the spring signing period.
    Trajan had his Duke tuition paid for by the San Diego Padres, IIRC, after having been drafted for baseball out of high school.
    Last edited by monkey; 09-30-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Hairston has 3-pt range? Kelly has the athleticism of QM? QM is an interesting player - he reminds me of a Kevin Durant-light (okay, very light).

I would love QM next year, but I really don't think he's a necessity at all. With AR, SC, AD, one or two MPs, R. Kelly, and possibly KI, we will have a strong scoring roster.
    Just because someone doesn't have the same 3 point range or athletic ability as another kid doesn't mean they will be less important to a team. Going into last year how many Duke fans would've traded Z for Henson straight up in a heartbeat?

Looking at Miller's shot and how he likes to score in the lane i think he'll have more of a transition period in college basketball then people realize. Sure if he goes to a school where he is the man day one he'll put up numbers but at Duke where he will be "a" option instead of "the" option i really think it will take him some time to adjust. I'm not saying he will struggle as much as Henson...but i also don't think he'll have anywhere near the impact of a freshman Durant.

Anyone think that Nolan Smith was actually tweeting about Quinn Cook commitment to Duke is next or do you really think he was referring to Quincy Miller? Obviously Smith is closer to Cook. Would be great to have both but I think Miller could be more important. I think we could survive just fine with Thornton at the point.

I have seen Thornton and Cook battle it out up here in the Metropolitan area. Cook went to my old high school DeMatha and Thornton went to rival Gonzaga.
    The Terrapin Assassin

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have Quincy than Quinn. Quincy has that explosiveness (hoping Mason shows it this year) that the team needs down low. Though, it is unlikely that Quincy would stay more than 1 or 2 years, while Quinn looks like a 3 or 4 year guy. But look at the point guards incoming for 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Anyone think that Nolan Smith was actually tweeting about Quinn Cook commitment to Duke is next or do you really think he was referring to Quincy Miller? Obviously Smith is closer to Cook.
    He responded directly to the tweet from Q Miller, so I'm pretty sure that's what he meant (unless he can't keep his Quin*s straight).

Call me stupid. But I dunno if I even want Q now.
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    He's a top 10 recruit...of course we'd love to have him!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have Quincy than Quinn.
    To me this is getting at the heart of the One and Done issue, which we started to broach a year or two ago with Wall's recruitment, and I recall many highly regarded posters saying they would be OK if we didn't get him, b/c he was so certain to be gone after a year.

If we use all or many of our scholarships on one and done players, then that means we need to reload year after year like Calipari is doing. It can be done, but its quite tough, and given that the pool of players we can select from is smaller than most schools (by virtue of our academic standards and coach K's "character" standards), its even tougher for us.

Not to mention, last season proved just how valuable chemistry and continuity are to winning. Everyone knows Duke wasn't the most talented team, but we were still the best team by virtue of having a starting lineup of guys that had played ~100 games together by the end of the season.

I just hope we continue to target many 3-4 year players as well and sprinkle in the OADs for some flavoring, and not the other way around. IMO, that is the formula for success. But in the end I'm not a college basketball coach and so I revert back to what I always say: in K we trust. He has adapted to the changing landscape of recruiting, which, for better or worse, means targeting some OADs and I'm sure he'll figure out what is best for Duke to be a national title contender every year.

Yeah, I agree with the above comment. Rivers was a nice pickup but do we really want to get another guy who could be a OAD? I mean seriously. These players are nice to have on a team but you need the experience to win the tourney. Kentucky proved that. Now if Quincy said he would give us two or three years, sign him up.

Here is what Watzone said about QM a few weeks ago

"QM is a long shot at this point but still somewhat in the mix."
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...dman-Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Anyone think that Nolan Smith was actually tweeting about Quinn Cook commitment to Duke is next or do you really think he was referring to Quincy Miller? Obviously Smith is closer to Cook. Would be great to have both but I think Miller could be more important. I think we could survive just fine with Thornton at the point.

I have seen Thornton and Cook battle it out up here in the Metropolitan area. Cook went to my old high school DeMatha and Thornton went to rival Gonzaga.
    This is what I thought too. Miller tweeted about who might be next, Nolan basically said he knew who it was and since he's close with Cook, I think that's who he meant. He basically gave Miller a big

Something tells me the recruits are fairly well in tune with what each other is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by should_be_working View Post
    This is what I thought too. Miller tweeted about who might be next, Nolan basically said he knew who it was and since he's close with Cook, I think that's who he meant. He basically gave Miller a big
    Ahh, good point. I didn't think of that.