Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coach K's salary

Fox Sports has a story up on Coach K's "massive" salary ($3.6 M) calling him by far Duke's highest paid employee. Unfortunately, site keeps crashing my browser so am unable to link or even read details.

Any one else able to provide link?

link

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9725350/At-$3.6M,-Coach-K-by-far-Duke's-richest-employee

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9725350/At-$3.6M,-Coach-K-by-far-Duke's-richest-employee

Yawn,so what. He generates way more revenue than the cost of running Duke basketball.

He'll be worth every dollar if he can make it work next year.

Worth every penny if you ask me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The original story is reported in the Herald-Sun. What I'm wondering is where is Cutcliffe's salary? He isn't mentioned, but I sure hope he's getting paid well. I thought Duke gave him a sizeable package of over 1mil a year, but from the report I don't see how that can be. If he does turn the program around, others will come knocking. He seems to have us off on the right track, and while it's still early in his time at Duke, he has invigorated the football atmosphere in a way that has been absent for a long time.
    I have no qualms with K's salary. The return Duke is getting on that investment is quite huge.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The original story is reported in the Herald-Sun. What I'm wondering is where is Cutcliffe's salary? He isn't mentioned, but I sure hope he's getting paid well. I thought Duke gave him a sizeable package of over 1mil a year, but from the report I don't see how that can be. If he does turn the program around, others will come knocking. He seems to have us off on the right track, and while it's still early in his time at Duke, he has invigorated the football atmosphere in a way that has been absent for a long time.
    I have no qualms with K's salary. The return Duke is getting on that investment is quite huge.
    According to ESPN, Cutcliffe's contract was nearly $1.5 million/year. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3155086 Perhaps it's just how they cut off the dates of the salary packages?

The report was only taking who was on payroll through last June. So, Cutcliffe I assume wasn't accounted for since he was just arriving in Durham.

Is it only me but isn't there something wrong when such a prestigeous academic university which Duke is, pays its basketball coach more than its university President ?

Coach K deserves every penny that he gets , but make the university President the highest paid employee. After all, doesn't Duke stand for academic excellence ?

I wonder what Duke's athletic budget is. I was listening to the radio yesterday, and they said the University of Florida's athletic budget for next year was going to be $89M. That's what they're going to SPEND on the athletic program next year. That's just insane to me! Wonder how much they MAKE?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/314966...lege_football/

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Is it only me but isn't there something wrong when such a prestigeous academic university which Duke is, pays its basketball coach more than its university President ?

Coach K deserves every penny that he gets , but make the university President the highest paid employee. After all, doesn't Duke stand for academic excellence ?
    No, I don't think there's anything wrong with Coach K outearning Brodhead. For example, I know a couple of situations in companies where high-performing salesmen outearned the president of the company. They earned that high pay by bringing in business to the company. In a similar manner, Coach K brings so much to Duke that he's worth being the highest-paid employee. His program alone brings in enormous revenues. K himself isn't just the basketball coach, either - he's really the face of the University. His title of "Special Assistant to the President" at Duke and his winning the Duke Medal of Honor are, in part, a recognition of that. He's on the faculty at Fuqua, and his numerous off-the-court efforts for things like Fuqua, Duke Children's Hospital, and the Emily K Center all bring enormous attention and revenues to aspects of the University that have nothing to do with basketball.

Given all that he has done and continues to do for the University, on and off the court, I think it's fair that he is its highest paid employee.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    No, I don't think there's anything wrong with Coach K outearning Brodhead. For example, I know a couple of situations in companies where high-performing salesmen outearned the president of the company. They earned that high pay by bringing in business to the company. In a similar manner, Coach K brings so much to Duke that he's worth being the highest-paid employee. His program alone brings in enormous revenues. K himself isn't just the basketball coach, either - he's really the face of the University. His title of "Special Assistant to the President" at Duke and his winning the Duke Medal of Honor are, in part, a recognition of that. He's on the faculty at Fuqua, and his numerous off-the-court efforts for things like Fuqua, Duke Children's Hospital, and the Emily K Center all bring enormous attention and revenues to aspects of the University that have nothing to do with basketball.

Given all that he has done and continues to do for the University, on and off the court, I think it's fair that he is its highest paid employee.
    I agree with this line of thought but it does add fuel to the fire that Duke is not in the academic league of an ivy. Paying a coach more than a president wouldn't fly in the Ivys.

I thought that the Chancellor of the Medical System/Med School was the highest paid employee, but perhaps he has the highest-paying contract, and Coach K gets the most because of bonuses or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I agree with this line of thought but it does add fuel to the fire that Duke is not in the academic league of an ivy. Paying a coach more than a president wouldn't fly in the Ivys.
    You're looking at it backwards. It isn't that Duke isn't in an academic league with the Ivy League schools, it is that the Ivy League schools aren't in the athletic league with Duke.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    But why is that? Who's to say that a university can't compete at the highest levels in both academics AND athletics simultaneously? Singlemindedness of purpose, especially in an institution, does not automatically equal superior performance.

I contend that a school can be among the academic elite while also competing for national championships.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

How much you get paid is based on a couple things:

1. Value contributed to the university. I won't argue that Brodhead and K both contribute significant value to the university. One might think based on this alone they should be paid comparable amounts, but salary is also based on. .

2. What the market pays those in a similar position. Coach Cal earns 4 million, Billy Donovan 3.5 millinon, Bill Self 3 millon. In this context, his salary seems reasonable. Lastly, Salary depends on. . .

3. How hard you are to replace. How many 800+ win coaches are there on the market who we could get to replace K?

His salary is just fine.

No. Prices are set by the marketplace. And the supply/demand/revenue equation for top coaches at top programs carries a higher dollar figure than that for university presidents. It doesn't mean what they do is less important. It means that there is a higher dividing line in the supply/demand equation.

Just echoing others...but...I could ask...

Isn't there something wrong with a world-leading country that pays its football coach of one of its publicly funded military academies more than the president? Yes, I'm talking about the US. Paul Johnson, the former football coach of Navy, was the highest paid federal employee in the country at around $1 million, while Obama makes around a relatively paltry $400,000.

As others have said, it's what the market dictates. Not to get into a political discussion, but I'd even be so audacious to argue that Obama contributes more to the value of this country than Johnson did. In the case of K vs. Brodhead, I'd say clearly Coach K contributes more value, at least from a PR/reputation perspective. The marketplace determines that Coach K should clearly get paid more.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    But why is that? Who's to say that a university can't compete at the highest levels in both academics AND athletics simultaneously? Singlemindedness of purpose, especially in an institution, does not automatically equal superior performance.

I contend that a school can be among the academic elite while also competing for national championships.
    Agreed. Just Ivies don't give scholarships and aren't as flexible with admitting athletes (obviously, it's a lot harder to find great 1300+ SAT V+M football players). The combo of athletics and academics makes Duke (and Stanford) so unique - but it's a lot easier for us to accomplish it due to our scholarship situations and more flexible admissions. Truly two of a kind, in my mind. I guess you could stretch and include Notre Dame, Wake, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Michigan, and a few mores. But the list is short. Especially when only considering private institutions with undergraduate enrollments less than 10,000. It is very limited.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 06-25-2009 at 11:39 AM.

making the point

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    You're looking at it backwards. It isn't that Duke isn't in an academic league with the Ivy League schools, it is that the Ivy League schools aren't in the athletic league with Duke.
    how you proffer the statement would seem to highlight your perspective on whether its a school that has a great athletic program or a great athletic program that has a school...in other words what you think is most important. My personal view, and i'm a huge fan of NCAA athletics, is that all of the athletic programs in the country could go belly up and the colleges would still be important, but if all the colleges went belly up, we'd all probably be to busy scratching out a living to worry much about sports.

skewed priorities vs market worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Just echoing others...but...I could ask...

Isn't there something wrong with a world-leading country that pays its football coach of one of its publicly funded military academies more than the president? Yes, I'm talking about the US. Paul Johnson, the former football coach of Navy, was the highest paid federal employee in the country at around $1 million, while Obama makes around a relatively paltry $400,000.

As others have said, it's what the market dictates. Not to get into a political discussion, but I'd even be so audacious to argue that Obama contributes more to the value of this country than Johnson did. In the case of K vs. Brodhead, I'd say clearly Coach K contributes more value, at least from a PR/reputation perspective. The marketplace determines that Coach K should clearly get paid more.
    I would agree with anyone who says "there -is- something wrong with a world-leading country that pays its football coach of one of its publicly funded military academies more than the president," teachers, and others who have significant impact on the country's future. (I would suggest that the president makes far more on the side of his salary than either coaches, probably shouldn't but most presidents, representatives, senators etc do...amazing how much their total wealth grows while encumbent...and yes we could have a lively debate on whether or not President Obama contributes more to the value of this country than pick-any-coach.)

However given the current system, I have zero problem with Coach K's salary compared to other coaches in the country. If the highest paid coach in the country made $200k a year, Coach K should be right there. Not only is he a great coach and representative of the University, he is also a well educated individual who provides an example to potential students.
    Last edited by -jk; 06-25-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: fix quote tag