Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimism

Optimism

While trying to figure out how to bring some positivity to this obviously negative day in the world of Duke Basketball, I thought it well to realize what we have and be thankful for it.

How amazing is it to have had a versatile player like Kyle Singler on the roster for the last two years and to have him come back for a third (at least.). In his Freshman year, while undersized, he was asked to play down low against players who had greater size and in many cases greater ability. Last season he played everywhere but the point and this year may very well do just that (atl least offensively.)

I can't remember a guy able to play anywhere on the court at a high level being at Duke. Ever.

Best wishes to E-Will and his family and here's to being positive.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

I can't remember a guy able to play anywhere on the court at a high level being at Duke. Ever.
    Grant Hill comes pretty close.

3. Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

I also appreciate Kyle and am hopeful for what he can bring next season.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I seem to recall this Laettner fella...

Point well taken guys. The just of my post still remains. We should be thankful that we have a guy who can play positions 1-5 on both sides of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I seem to recall this Laettner fella...
    Someone help me with this . . . Shane . . . what was his last name?

That being said, yes I am happy that we have a versatile player like Singler on the floor for us.

I like optimism

I think the fact that its so easy to fill in names of players that have been this amazing for us over the years makes us more prone to complain when things aren't perfect rather than appreciate what we have and the prospect of seeing how a team will grow and face challenges. We're not going to be a juggernaut next year, but I for one am excited to see what the team can become.

Not a bad year to have a guy as wily a Scheyer either, or a coach who can adapt, or two other seniors who know the Duke system, or a whole bunch of Mickey D's waiting for PT they will surely get.

Task of winning ACC is oibvously tougher but still in reach. Not a case of having to win the ACC tourney to get an NCAA berth.

Losing our two best athletes from last year I only hope we're not turning into Kansas. Good, big and white. I loved EW and am hoping everything turns out ok for his Mom. Wishing him and his family only the best. He'll aways be a Dukie to me. Thanks for last year Elliott!!!!

Curiosity

After the initial surprise, concern for Elliot's family, and disappointment for the effect on our team, I am now mostly wondering just how this 2009-10 team will fit together.

Coach K and his staff have to construct this team without some of the usual pieces, or at least a shortage of those pieces. It will take skill, determination, and patience on his part, and the players' part, for it to come together.

But it can be a very good team and just might be.

Stay tuned.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Losing our two best athletes from last year I only hope we're not turning into Kansas. Good, big and white.
    What??

Is this the second time someone on this board has brought race into this situation? Someone else made a comment about how we have too few black players, etc. If so, IMO, this is ridiculous.

Besides, I'm sure he meant Wisconsin, not Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    What??

Is this the second time someone on this board has brought race into this situation? Someone else made a comment about how we have too few black players, etc. If so, IMO, this is ridiculous.
    I could understand how one could argue that it could become a perception problem if (a) Duke had never had more than a few black players in the past or if (b)Our three recruits already signed for next year weren't all African American

One more time for the world...
    Kyle, Nolan, Jon and Lance, four tested vets, four guys who are looking to win.
    Four guys who aren't whining, believe that.......

8 Man Rotation

Smith/ Scheyer
    Scheyer/ Singler
    Singler/ Kelly/ Plumlee1
    Thomas/ Plumlee1
    Plumlee2/ Zoubek

Spot Duty: Casey Peters and Jordan Davidson for foul trouble

1) we have done 8 man rotations before... a lot

2) Scheyer and Singler may be two All-ACC 1st team players. That's good enough for a decent season at the VERY LEAST.

3) All of our Freshman will get SERIOUS experience, and if we can keep Singler and Smith for 2010, our roster could look AMAZING. If you are a negative person, you can think of this next season as unprecedented training for Duke Freshman. How often do non-superstar (non- top10 recruit) Duke Freshman get the kind of minutes these guys are going to get? Think about this effect in the long run!

Speaking of optimism, this may be the first time in a loooooooong time that there is more hope and optimism for this season of Duke Football than the men's basketball team. I wonder if Thad would like to play guard his last year......

"Speaking of optimism, this may be the first time in a loooooooong time that there is more hope and optimism for this season of Duke Football than the men's basketball team."

I know what you're saying but I think this is a bit over the top. Most rational observers think .500 is a best-case scenario for Duke football this season. I'm pretty sure .500 isn't the best-case scenario for Duke basketball.

Let's Go, Duke!
    ~rthomas

Well the ceilings for each team are different because of past success (or lack thereof). Duke Football could finish 5-7 and most of us fans would be pretty happy with that. The Bastetball team could have another 22-11 season (which given our current roster situation would be pretty good) but it would be considered as yet "another sign of Duke decline". But the main point here is optimism, and there are currently more reasons to be optimistic about Duke football because they have a lot to gain, not much to lose, and honestly they have more room to fail. Only another 0-12, or 1-11 could be disasterous for Coach Cut. The bar of success is much higher for Coach K, due to not only his success but also the recent success of the evil ones down the road. Not exactly fair, but thats how it is. I'll be cheering for both teams, but I'm definitely more excited for football than basketball right now. I doubt I'm the only one who feels the same.

Optimism - let's see... Elliott's Mother all of a sudden gets fully recovered, he scores 22 ppg next season for Duke, and lives happily ever after. Then, Gerald Henderson gets outraged that he wanted to stay with Duke, and his name was mistakenly put in the draft. John Wall Transfers to Duke. We get Lance Stephenson. Roy Williams is fired, Travis and David Wear quit basketball for life. We win the NCAA and ACC Championship this season. Duke wins there bowl game in football. Pocius comes back. Paulus is suddenly allowed to play basketball for Duke again this year for some odd reason. McClure secretly applied for a redshirt last season and will play this year. Mason Plumlee scores more than he did in high school. Ryan Kelly goes 83-83 from the three next season. Casey Peters will be a beast. Czyz gets award for most dunks. NOTHING CAN GO WRONG!