If You were Starting A Team Today

Outside of a pitcher would you pick Albert Pujols age 29 or Evan Longoria age 23, or someone else ?

Who would be your first pitcher..Tim Lincecum or Zack Greinke ? Or would you go with Johan Santana or Roy Halladay even though they are older ?

If it were an all time team would it be Willie Mays or Henry Aaron, or someone else, ( 1950 on ) ?

All time pitcher Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson or Juan Marichal or Steve Carleton or someone else?

B.A. Baracus for sure.

Oh you mean a team, not the A Team.

Since Albert Pujols is probably closer to 33, and IMHO, purely in my own mind, no evidence other than conjecture, the next domino to fall in the steroid scandal, I'll go with Longoria or Handley Ramirez (who may be doing awful this year AFAIK -- not sure b/c MLB is completely without positive excitement this year for some reason).

HanRam. I don't trust Pujols' age. (While I share the steroids suspicion, that wouldn't impact my choice. I see no particular reason to think any other talented player is cleaner, and more importantly, I see no particular reason to think any player using ped's will stop using ped's).

For a pitcher, I'd probably take Lincecum. Or maybe Strasbourg.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I would think with all the investigating going on in baseball, if Albert could be caught at something he would...but I would still go with Longoria because he is younger. Pitcher wise I would still go with Santana...just more proven.

Going back to the 50's, gotta start with Mays...Koufax's career was too short, probably Gibson (plus he was a terrific basketball player too, with the Globetrotters for a season or two).

I like Longoria, but I might go with Joe Mauer. He just turned 26; has already won two batting titles; and is only hitting .430 with a .515 OBP and .845 SLG so far this year. You can see his stardom trajectory as he is approaching his prime, and he is obviously hitting with power this year too (has 12 HR already after never hitting more than 13 in any season). His OPS is over 1.300 and he is on pace for over 50 HR, 150 RBI and 140 runs EVEN THOUGH HE MISSED THE FIRST 22 GAMES OF THE SEASON. What's weird is that not a lot of people are talking about the offensive tear he is on because he is really not amoung the league leaders in anything because he missed the first month.

He is also an outstanding defensive catcher (but playing catcher may affect his longevity) and is such a good athlete that I think he easily could transition to 1B or outfield later in his career. Good hitting catchers are so hard to find, that his value (over a replacement player) is much higher than Longoria.

First pitcher is a tough one because aberration monster seasons seem so much more common among pitchers. You have to consider Zack Greinke, but he's only shown superstardom for 1/3 of a season. I would go with Santana, who is only 30 and would have to figure to be an elite pitcher for at least 4 or 5 more seasons. He's shown remarkable durability and consistency (33 or 34 starts each of the last 5 seasons) in his career, pitching 219 innings or more every season he's been a full time starter. His highest season era is 3.33 and his lowest strikeout total is 206. When it comes to pitching, demonstrated consistency is extremely important. If this were five years ago, you could substitute Barry Zito for Zack Greinke, and look what Zito has done since he won the Cy Young.

For an all time team, I would take either Willie Mays or Albert Pujols. I'd probably go with Mays because of his defense and speed, but Pujols' stats to date are just ridiculous, even in this era. I also am skeptical that he's clean, but his first eight seasons are greater than any hitter who has played the game since 1950. All-time pitcher? Greg Maddux.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013