Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elliot Williams

Elliot Williams

Anyone know how this came about? Scary to even hear it mentioned as a POSSIBLE rumor!

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...71764/15297431

I can see how it would be appealing to go to Memphis right now... what would that probation thing and all sitting out there.

I just googled it and saw that there are rumblings that he has a terminally ill family member and IF he were to attempt a transfer it would be with a hardship waiver. Probably just BS, but I wanted to see if anyone else read/heard it.
    Last edited by quickgtp; 05-29-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: tired and i cant type, spell, etc.

It sounds like someone in his family is ill or something of that nature. That's usually the case when there is talk of being able to play without penalty after a transfer. I hope everyone is okay and it's just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    It sounds like someone in his family is ill or something of that nature. That's usually the case when there is talk of being able to play without penalty after a transfer. I hope everyone is okay and it's just a rumor.
    Lets hope and pray that this does indeed turn out to be nothing more than a rumor, but what if it isn't and we lose Williams. We'd be down to 2 guards then, right...Smith and Scheyer? Are there any unsigned backcourt players left? And I mean any...they don't need to be 4 or 5 star prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Lets hope and pray that this does indeed turn out to be nothing more than a rumor, but what if it isn't and we lose Williams. We'd be down to 2 guards then, right...Smith and Scheyer? Are there any unsigned backcourt players left? And I mean any...they don't need to be 4 or 5 star prospects?
    Just stop it, will you please?

This might sound a little strange to a lot of you, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him considered as a more athletic wing type until we get some help in that position. He has some great hops and really quick athletic moves. Some of his moves driving to the basket were really superb last year, and he did knock down some threes. Note that while his weight is listed as only 180, his height is exactly the same as G.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jon frequently at the point again, as while it appeared very unconventional, it certainly screwed up the opposing defensive assignments. It also opened up his game, as it allowed him to shoot over his smaller opposing defenders. Could be a very surprising year for us.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Just stop it, will you please?
    What's your problem. Did I say anything that wasn't true?

Circumstances

Let's hope there's not a family situation for Elliot's sake because that's obviously a lot more important than our backcourt.

The NCAA has some exceptions to the general rule that a transfer must sit out a year, but these extenuating circumstances seem to be a very confusing area:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/SharpTusk/139222

Hopefully all works out with EW's family. I would be crushed to see him leave.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    We'd be down to 2 guards if he left assuming both guards remain healthy. A major injury to either Smith or Scheyer will cripple our chances anyway. We badly need another guard, even if it's just a walkon.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    We'd be down to 2 guards if he left assuming both guards remain healthy. A major injury to either Smith or Scheyer will cripple our chances anyway. We badly need another guard, even if it's just a walkon.
    picture this depth chart:

pg: smith/ scheyer
    sg: singler/ kelly
    sf: thomas/ cycz
    pf: mason/ miles
    c: zoubek

guys like smith, scheyer, and singler are going to be playing major minutes.
    coach k goes to a 7 man rotation often late in the season anyways.

dukes main problem with this lineup is going to be guarding the perminitter. clog up the lane with the big guys.
    i can see kelly playing the sf or sg spot on offensive, but he is gonna get killed on the defense side...

Let's consider Mr. Williams' statement

"As of right now, to my knowledge, Elliot will be attending Duke University as a sophomore and playing basketball. You can quote that."

and consider closing this thread.

If this happens Duke needs to go after Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Let's consider Mr. Williams' statement

"As of right now, to my knowledge, Elliot will be attending Duke University as a sophomore and playing basketball. You can quote that."

and consider closing this thread.
    I agree with you, roywhite. Elliot's dad made a pretty clear statement. Bad karma to keep focusing on a possibility which seems to have no basis in fact.

Say It Ain't So

I read this thread and thought I was going to cry. If Elliot were to leave, this might be one of the biggest blows to the program in years. We are so thin in the backcourt as it is. With the roster we have, I believe in a FF run (potentially). Without Elliot, consider us a team in the middle of the pack in our own conference. I hope all things work out with him staying at Duke and Elliott not getting sucked into the Memphis NCAA issues.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I truly believe IF he were to leave it would not be due to any dissastifaction on his part. He ended the year as a freshmen starter, which itself is a great accomplishment at Duke. With the guard situation as it is, he most likely will be starting next year as well. To transfer to a seriously troubled program with little prospect for an extended run into the post-season (regardless of NCAA sanctions) would only make sense if it were because of a family crisis. Hopefully his family's situation and health has a positive outcome. I'm sure his Duke family is being as supportive as they can be.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Everyone please STOP IT.

Nobody is beholden to Duke with a ball and chain. If a kid needs to transfer because there is an illness in the family then lets show a little sympathy and style and wish the young man good luck.

Then again, I don't think it would be a horrible idea to have a sick family member go to Duke hospital for treatment.

The student-athlete could then feel at ease knowing the relative was nearby and in good hands.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsim412 View Post
    If this happens Duke needs to go after Lance Stephenson
    You're joking right?

I have a better shot at playing Guard in 2009-2010 than Lance Stephensen.