C Ed Davis - So.

SG Leslie McDonald - Fr.
    SF Will Graves - Jr.
    PF John Henson - Fr.
    PF Travis Wear - Fr.
    PF David Wear - Fr.
    C Tyler Zeller - So.

Notes:
    - 8 of unc's top 11 players are freshmen (5) or sophomores (3)
    - 5 of DUKE's top 9 players are seniors (3) or juniors (2)
    - DUKE losses: Greg Paulus, Dave McClure, Gerald Henderson
    - unc losses: Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Danny Green, Tyler Hansbrough
    - if you think DUKE has PG issues, unc has it worse; unc has more guard depth, however

Prediction: Duke wins both games

Plumlee.

I really don't know if Duke will be able to beat UNC both times; I'm guessing we split. UNC has much better bigs, I think Henson is going to be really good, and if one of our 2 proven scorers gets cold, we're probably not going to beat too many people. Also, I don't know if Duke has much of an advantage at PG. Scheyer can't create effectively from PG, and Nolan is a wild card, IMO. UNC has a few guys that can play some PG, but their success will probably depend on how much Larry Drew improves.

Way too early to tell how effective UNC returnees will be without the need to first stop Hansbrough, Lawson and Green.

Also too ealry to tell on frosh from both teams, though Henson is probably surest star.

Diary this for about mid January when more is known, and game is even then a couple weeks away.

Can't wait for the game, but it's too early to talk lineups and exploits. Let's focus on our non-conference schedule first.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    DUKE:
    PG Nolan Smith - Jr.
    SG Jon Scheyer - Sr.
    SF Elliot Williams - So.
    PF Kyle Singler - Jr.
    C Mason Plumnee - Fr.

PF Ryan Kelly - Fr.
    PF Lance Thomas - Sr.
    C Brian Zoubek - Sr.
    C Miles Plumnee - So.

unc:
    PG Larry Drew - So.
    SG Dexter Strickland - Fr.
    SF Marcus Ginyard - Sr.
    PF Deon Thompson - Sr.
    C Ed Davis - So.

SG Leslie McDonald - Fr.
    SF Will Graves - Jr.
    PF John Henson - Fr.
    PF Travis Wear - Fr.
    PF David Wear - Fr.
    C Tyler Zeller - So.
    Its never too early to talk lineups. Get out your paper tigers. Like you said Duke has more experience but I think UNC has more talent. You kind of negate that advantage by putting in Plumlee ahead of either Thomas or Zoubek. Unless of course Plumlee is that much more talented than Thomas and/or Zoubek. I have a hard time believing that to be the truth. Its always hard for big guys too come into the faster/stronger ACC and make that adjustment without missing a beat. With that said i don't see how UNC keeps Henson off the floor. While he is not strong, he is elite level quick and long. UNC's frontcourt is just insane. I think Duke will take at least one game but UNC is going to be tough at the end of the year. Their potential is much greater that Duke's IMO.

The split

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I really don't know if Duke will be able to beat UNC both times; I'm guessing we split.
    If we split I hope that we win at Cameron. Duke has not beaten Carolina at home since 2005, which means that this year's senior class did not see that happen.

DUKE:
    PG Nolan Smith - Jr.
    SG Jon Scheyer - Sr.
    SF Elliot Williams - So.
    PF Kyle Singler - Jr.
    C Mason Plumnee - Fr.

PF Ryan Kelly - Fr.
    PF Lance Thomas - Sr.
    C Brian Zoubek - Sr.
    C Miles Plumnee - So.

unc:
    PG Larry Drew - So.
    SF Marcus Ginyard - Sr.
    PF Deon Thompson - Sr.
    C Ed Davis - So.

SG Leslie McDonald - Fr.
    SF Will Graves - Jr.
    PF John Henson - Fr.
    PF Travis Wear - Fr.
    PF David Wear - Fr.
    C Tyler Zeller - So.

Notes:
    - 8 of unc's top 11 players are freshmen (5) or sophomores (3)
    - 5 of DUKE's top 9 players are seniors (3) or juniors (2)
    - DUKE losses: Greg Paulus, Dave McClure, Gerald Henderson
    - unc losses: Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Danny Green, Tyler Hansbrough
    - if you think DUKE has PG issues, unc has it worse; unc has more guard depth, however

Prediction: Duke wins both games
    Where is Olek in this lineup?
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Status Check

It's golf season! But carolina can still Go To Hell!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Where is Olek in this lineup?
    To be fair, I should have put Olek in the lineup, but at the time I wanted to only include players that will actually get significant playing time this season, especially in the rivalry game. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see Olek playing much next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Way too early to tell how effective UNC returnees will be without the need to first stop Hansbrough, Lawson and Green.

Also too ealry to tell on frosh from both teams, though Henson is probably surest star.

Diary this for about mid January when more is known, and game is even then a couple weeks away.
    I agree it is early, but fun, to talk lineups. I think you made an outstanding point when you said that we will have to see how effective some of the players will be without the other stars to worry about. I'm not saying it will be true for UNC, but sometime players look a little different when they are the ones in the limelight.

To be fair, I should have put Olek in the lineup, but at the time I wanted to only include players that will actually get significant playing time this season, especially in the rivalry game. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see Olek playing much next year.
    Hope that your lineup stays the same based on another thread about Elliot Williams...It would be much different if the rumor, ( hope it is not true), is in fact correct.

Some Duke fans are way underestimating the abilities of Larry Drew. The kid is a natural point guard with some serious skills. Sure he had some freshman moments, and Ty Lwson would have made anyone look weak that replaced him last year.

I saw somewhere that during the second half of the season Drew's A to TO ratio was 3:1. That's pretty darn good and he was getting quality minutes against good teams.

The issue is depth at point for UNC, not talent. Some injury to Drew would be difficult to deal with.

He's a different kind of PG than some of you young guys have seen at UNC. Old timer's will recall Jimmy Black and Kenney Smith, and I see him coming from that mold.

His defense is solid. He's long and deceptively quick. Handles the ball well.

His biggest asset, as it usually is with all good players is court vision.

Several times last season I noted a play where his vision was well above average. Some were forced passes that tried just a little too hard, but it's seeing the opportunity that counts. He was learning.

He was the best player UNC had last year getting the entry passes in the post from the wing. And that's something that you will see even more of next year than you saw this year.

It's going to be an interesting team to watch, and my curiosity leans towards how Strickland (yet to see him) can step in at 2g for outside scoring than worrying about the point.
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 05-30-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: clarity

Kenny Smith? I do not see any Kenny Smith in the little bit I've seen of Drew. Smith was a much better athlete. I can see the Black comparison, or Phelps. I can even see some McInnis, though Drew appears to be a much nicer person.

Crossing the boundry, I actually think the kid reminds me a bit of our own Tommy Amaker.

But it could be a nightmare season for UNC if Drew has a season ending injury. Ginyard and Strickland might be okay 5 minute or so backups, but as starters in the ACC?

I think that we will win both times this year also. We are just more of a built team than UNC after they lost their top 5 players. Except for G, we have all 5 starters coming back, and even though we are thin on guards, they are very good guards and we have more than enough PF's.

unc:
    PG Larry Drew - So.
    SF Marcus Ginyard - Sr.
    PF Deon Thompson - Sr.
    C Ed Davis - So.

SG Leslie McDonald - Fr.
    SF Will Graves - Jr.
    PF John Henson - Fr.
    PF Travis Wear - Fr.
    PF David Wear - Fr.
    C Tyler Zeller - So.
    I think UNC's line will be:

PG Larry Drew - So.
    SG Marcus Ginyard - Sr.
    SF John Henson - Fr.
    PF Deon Thompson - Sr.
    C Ed Davis - So.

IMO UNC's bigs are too good for us to sweep them.

If Duke's offense tanks against UNC I could see us having another shutout year. Coach K doesn't have a quick accurate shooting team next season.Duke has a zero margin of error with the personnel we have.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Kenny Smith? I do not see any Kenny Smith in the little bit I've seen of Drew.
    Crossing the boundry, I actually think the kid reminds me a bit of our own Tommy Amaker.
    Amaker is a good comparison, and probably the most similar player in style. And yea, he's not as explosive a K Smith was, but I do think you will see Drew push the ball much like Smith end to end. The kid did show he was not afraid to go to the basket as a freshman.

One thing about the Heels next year is you will likely not hear any talk about them being a weak defensive team. I expect them to be very tough to score on.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Kenny Smith? I do not see any Kenny Smith in the little bit I've seen of Drew. Smith was a much better athlete. I can see the Black comparison, or Phelps. I can even see some McInnis, though Drew appears to be a much nicer person.

But it could be a nightmare season for UNC if Drew has a season ending injury. Ginyard and Strickland might be okay 5 minute or so backups, but as starters in the ACC?

Larry Drew = King Rice

Anyone remember that UNC team? King Rice really came into his own his senior year and Larry Drew looks more like THAT kind of player (kinda like our own recruit - Tyler Thornton).

http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/...ce_king00.html

Quote Originally Posted by DDB4208 View Post
    I think UNC's line will be:

PG Larry Drew - So.
    SG Marcus Ginyard - Sr.
    SF John Henson - Fr.
    PF Deon Thompson - Sr.
    C Ed Davis - So.

IMO UNC's bigs are too good for us to sweep them.
    But who's the leader? I don't really see a lot of leadership on that team. With the team showing periodic lapses in effort last year I don't see who on this team will be the one to step up when they are getting their shoes untied by another team.

Davis' role would be expanding tremendously to expect him to step up and take over games ala Tyler. He'll probably be doing more rebounding of Thompson and Ginyard misses. Thompson was known for his disappering acts and will really have to step up his intensity. Henson will be good but he's got a lot to learn in a fast paced offense OR they just might be much more brooding this year with Drew running the show. When will McDonald get in? They've got a lot to sort out.

Ginyard might become the kind of leader that David Noel was in the year following the last title and mass exodus.