Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Hmmm...interesting...an unusual move for sure.

I wonder if Oliver Purnell lost patience with him, and encouraged him to look elsewhere.
    No. This is not the kind of man that Oliver Purnell is. He would never run a kid off. Believe me... I've seen him work with far more frustrating players than Oglesby and not lose patience.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I don't know about the net zero part Klemnop. Sure better defense is a plus but you guys have no offensive balance now. There is no perimeter threat. Sure one might crop up but in college sports, I'll always take the bird in the hand. He was a double figure scorer for both years he was at Clemson. He was a consistent threat that teams had to address when playing Clemson. Too bad Duke doesn't play zone because Clemson is going to struggle against it next year.
    Clemson's 2008-09 squad, minus Oglesby, might be challenged. I think with the addition of Milton Jennings and with an increased role for Andre Young, the 2009-10 squad won't feel the impact quite so acutely.

Jennings is an accomplished shooter (though, clearly, not the freak talent Oglesby was) who plays at 6'9" instead of 6'2". Match-up headaches vs. Clemson will change...but I don't think they're appreciably relieved for the opposition.

Of course I have an inordinate number of eggs in the Milton Jennings basket.

Klem

I don't understand the logic of saying this will not hurt Clemson. He shot 39% on 3s, and made a ton of them. He was a constant threat that had to stretch the defense. Next year he would have been a junior with two years of experience. Seems to me the teams with the juniors and seniors have a huge advantage over the younger teams. Losing Oglesby is a major blow to the Tigers IMO.

Smile The Three Laws of Sports Fans

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    I don't understand the logic of saying this will not hurt Clemson. He shot 39% on 3s, and made a ton of them. He was a constant threat that had to stretch the defense. Next year he would have been a junior with two years of experience. Seems to me the teams with the juniors and seniors have a huge advantage over the younger teams. Losing Oglesby is a major blow to the Tigers IMO.
    You have uncovered one of the three laws that apply to words from avid sports fan:

1. "Always make a virtue out of a necessity." Oglesby's not available next year; well, that won't make a difference because Milton Jennings is going to step up big time. Or, EWill will make us forget Gerald Henderson.

Then there is--

2. "Remember that every silver lining has a cloud." Oh, I agree that Cutcliffe is doing a great job at Duke but that means that someone will hire him away just like Spurrier. [Wouldn't it be nice to have a football coach that other folks want?]

And --

3. "Remember to whistle when walking past the graveyard at night." Yeah I know this year's (2006-2007) looks shaky but this isn't 1995 or anything. Or, Grant Hill will be fine, as soon as he has surgery on his ankle.

sagegrouse