Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    To push or not to push? That is the question that was debated by all of us for a long long time. And I'm not going to spoil it for you
    What was the consensus back then, if there was one, on the push or not to push question?? And...are there old threads discussing each episode of Lost as far back as Season 2?? I may have to go digging...

Oh, and forget what I said about starting to like Sawyer. He's a wanker now, after staging his own coup for the guns along with Charlie's help. Sawyer and Charlie are in my doghouse now. Just when you think you know a guy!
    Last edited by JBDuke; 06-16-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: removed text unrelated to thread topic

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    What was the consensus back then, if there was one, on the push or not to push question?? And...are there old threads discussing each episode of Lost as far back as Season 2?? I may have to go digging...

Oh, and forget what I said about starting to like Sawyer. He's a wanker now, after staging his own coup for the guns along with Charlie's help. Sawyer and Charlie are in my doghouse now. Just when you think you know a guy!

And...unrelated question: Often when I'm typing something to post, when I finish and hit the button to submit it, it says I'm not logged on anymore. Then I have to hit the back button, copy the text, log back on again, get to the thread and open up a reply box, and paste what I copied back in and resubmit. Usually this is after I've been typing for at least 10 minutes. Anyone else have this problem? How do you get around it?
    I don't think we had consensus.

I don't think you'll find the old threads for season two on this version of the board. This software was put up in Feb 2007, but "What Kate Did" first aired in Nov 2005. So you probably don't want to search through this site's post archives for old discussions until you get to the second half of season 3.

are there old threads discussing each episode of Lost as far back as Season 2?? I may have to go digging...
    I searched, and the earliest I found was Season 3, episode 10...

So, when you get there, you can start looking...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I searched, and the earliest I found was Season 3, episode 10...

So, when you get there, you can start looking...
    There's always the archive. I forget who set that up way back when. Was it Throatybeard? I believe it may have been.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

There's always the archive. I forget who set that up way back when. Was it Throatybeard? I believe it may have been.
    It was the fabulous Billy Breen who set up the old archive at snrub.com/dbr.

Here is a thread from December of 2004. We are talking about Ethan kidnapping Claire and wondering about stuff like Polar Bears and Rousseau's power cable.

Here is another
    from a few weeks later. We are lamenting how sucky the episode was where we learned about Kate and the tiny toy airplane.

Flash forward to March of 2005 and we are close to the end of season one. Here is another archived thread of our comments, including one guess that Hurley would commit suicide at the end of season one.

Here is another, this time focused on the episode where Locke loses the use of his legs as he and Boone find the airplane filled with Mary Cocaine.

Finally, here are our comments on the season one finale. Some good stuff in there.

The easiest thing to do is go to http://snrub.com/dbr/offtopic.html and search for "Lost"

--Jason "I love all the lamenting that the story was going nowhere and that the writers were making it up as they went along... little did we know!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Awesome! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the old threads. I'll check out some of the archived ones, and then once I'm at Season 3 Episode 10, I'll probably start reading the ones on this board after I watch each episode.

It has occurred to me that the time will feel kind of off for me in watching this - for you guys, they've been literally stuck on the island for years (assuming they're still on the island!), whereas when I catch up, for me it will seem like it has just been a couple of months. It'll be fun to watch next season's shows in real time, though, and be able to read the threads as they're being created!

It'll be fun to watch next season's shows in real time, though, and be able to read the threads as they're being created!
    No, it will be frustrating to have to wait a week to see the next episode!

9F 9F 9F

A week?!?! What about the 8 month layoff we are in right now?!?!

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A week?!?! What about the 8 month layoff we are in right now?!?!

-Jason
    Good point!

9F 9F 9F

You're totally right - hadn't thought about that aspect of it! That drives me crazy with "24", and I can see the potential for it here too.

I'm roughly 2/3 of the way through Season 2 now. At the end of the episode I just finished, it was revealed that Henry Gale stole his name from someone who was buried in the grave near the hot-air balloon. I'd say this means Henry's got some 'splainin to do!!

I'm surprised, because it looks more and more like Henry is one of "The Others", although I guess that could still be a wrong guess on my part. What's odd about Henry is that, IIRC, he has been on the island about 4 months, but doesn't seem to know a single other person on the island despite having been there 4 months, if you believe his story.

What I'm most intrigued/confused by right now is Sun's pregnancy. Apparently she's pregnant (if the pregnancy test is right), yet Jin cannot father children and Sun claims to have never been with another man besides Jin. So, I'm not sure how that works! Is this a "miracle" conception?? I sure hope not! I'm interested to see how this plays out. Has Sun somehow been impregnanted - without her knowledge - by one of "The Others"?? Strange!

Also, I need an explanation of something. In a flashback, Locke takes money that his father swindled from others out of a safe deposit box and brings it to his father in a hotel. Why would Locke give his father, who he doesn't like anyway, that money?? Seems like he would keep it himself, give it to the 2 guys it was swindled from, or give it to charity. I cannot figure out why he would want to give it to his dad!! If this is explained later in the show, don't spoil it for me, but if it isn't, what's the theory behind this??

I'm also curious to see what comes of the glue and fake beards that were found where Claire was kept. Have "The Others" been using them?? Are they really only recent arrivals on the island who are trying to make themselves look like they've been there longer?? Good stuff!

My "up" arrows right now go to Locke and Kate. I'm mixed towards Sawyer right now. My "down" arrows would go to Jin and Charlie. I can't even remember what Michael is up to now - haven't seen him or Walt on any of the last few episodes I've watched.

I think locke does a lot of stuff with the hope of earning his father's love, no matter how unlikely he is to get it.

You will find great amusement in looking back on your post in a few weeks and seeing where the show has gone in terms of answering some of your questions. There are some answers, trust me.

--Jason "ahhh, Henry Gale... I do recall him. Interesting character" Evans

I can tell that once I get through Season 5, I'm going to be amused at going back and seeing my thoughts along the way when I didn't know what was going to happen.

I'm one episode into Season 3 now, and the "Superstars" of the plane crash have been captured. Each are being held in very different environments, although Hurley was nowhere to be seen in Episode 1 of Season 3, so I'm wondering if something bizarre has happened to him. Maybe the Others know he has a lot of money - since they seem to know everything else about those they've captured - and are planning to use this to their benefit somehow. Sawyer's circumstances are the most bizarre, as it seems like he is being held in a large rat cage, complete with buzzers to get a "fish biscuit".

It looks like Kate is up for a rough next 2 weeks, as it has been hinted that things are going to be unpleasant for her. I hope they aren't planning to take advantage of her being an attractive female.

Gotta say, I really don't understand what the plan was in going to the Others' camp. Jack was suspicious of Michael before they started, and his suspicions were confirmed along the way, and the others in their traveling band found out as well. So why carry on? What, did they think they could fight an unknown number of The Others and win?? There were basically only 3 of them against however many Others might be present, as they knew Michael likely wouldn't fight and Hurley would be of only marginal use. I just don't understand the thinking in trying to approach the Others like that.

Interestingly, at this point nothing has been disclosed as far as what happened to Sayid, Sun, and Jin when Jack and crew were captured. I know Sayid went ashore and found empty tents, but don't know anything more. Presumably they know about the capture and went back to round up help in attacking the Others??

What I'm most interested in now is how the Others came to be on the island...and also how Sun became pregnant!

Up arrow goes to Sawyer - I'm starting to like his character more and more, and a slight down arrow goes to Jack, as he's becoming more violent and impulsive, and the flashbacks reveal that he has been this way in the past.

Still no idea why the Others wanted those specific people brought to them by Michael, and why they seem to be interested in children...

Also...do "easter eggs" have a different meaning beyond the traditional one??

Also...do "easter eggs" have a different meaning beyond the traditional one??
    The other popular usage:
    A virtual Easter egg is an intentional hidden message, in-joke or feature in an object such as a movie, book, CD, DVD, computer program, web page or video game.

After a really SLOW beginning to Season 3, the pace seems to have picked up now and things are starting to happen. I can tell I'm more into it now than I was during the first few episodes of Season 3, as I stayed up until almost 1am last night watching several episodes - despite saying all day yesterday that I needed to get to bed early!

I've just finished Episode 13 of Season 3 - The Man from Tallahassee. Although, as I'm thinking about it now, I'm not sure we were ever told WHO the Man from Tallahassee is! Ben, f/k/a Henry, just ordered that he be summoned. I guess it must be Locke's "dad", though, since the episode ended with Locke's dad being revealed as what the box produced. How the heck did Locke's dad get on the island??

The last few episodes have been pretty good - I especially liked the end of Episode 12 showing Jack catching a football thrown by one of the Others while Kate, Locke, Sayid, and Rousseau looked on in astonishment. Really liked the scenes between Locke and Ben in The Man from Tallahassee - great acting between those two, and the actor who plays Ben is phenomenal and just blows me away.

Big events that have recently happened include the reveal of Jack and Claire as being half-siblings (not sure if there's any significance to Claire's earlier black hair!), Locke destroying the sub (how come he doesn't want anyone else getting off the island?), and Locke becoming paralyzed by his "dad" sending him out an 8-story window (which, via a previous episode, Hurley appears to have witnessed from inside the building, though that hasn't been explicitly stated that it was Locke that Hurley saw fall).

The episode I'm most confused by is the one dealing with Desmond time-traveling back to England and seeing Charlie. No idea how all of that really ties in, but I'm sure it will at some point. The only point to Desmond's character right now seems to be saving Charlie from dying each day!

And, I can't remember all of the Tailies, but it seems like they've virtually disappeared from prominence in recent episodes - where the heck have Rose and Bernard (I think that's her husband's name) been all of Season 3?? Not sure what's going on with that - are they off plotting something?? And Michael and Walt seem to have been sent home for good, though I'm not convinced they won't make an appearance somewhere down the road.

Right now the main mystery to me is trying to figure out what Ben's masterplan is. He seems like a megalomaniac or God-type character who is just trying to control everyone for his own pleasure and entertainment, and perpetuate a civilization on the island. I'm sure there's research being conducted for some purpose, though I'm not sure what the point is - possibly maybe trying to create some semblance of a "perfect" race of humans on the island?? I don't know.

I find it interesting that so many of the characters seem connected to Jack's father somehow. I'm guessing he's an important character later on in the show and there's some importance to all of the connections, even though he's supposed to be dead.

Up arrow characters at this point: Locke (who has suddenly become more sure and more assertive), Sawyer (maybe becoming my fav character?), Sayid, and Ben (not because I like what his character is doing, but because I love the scenes he's in and watching the actor who plays him).

Down arrow characters: Charlie (he's annoying to me at this point), Jack (flaws are being revealed in his character).

I'm also reading the old DBR threads for each episode now after I've watched it. Interesting to see what was discussed and what peoples' opinions and questions were!!

If you like Michael Emerson, check out this bit he did on Jimmy Fallon's show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdPHIue3s0

I am absolutely loving this show now!! A couple of nights ago I finished Season 3, and will be starting Season 4 this weekend. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have to wait half a year (!) between seasons!! That would absolutely kill me at this point!

The ending of Season 3 was great, though I never really believed it was a flashback. All of those scenes showed Jack with facial hair, more weight, and a depressed attitude which he never seemed to have in other flashbacks. The only thing that threw me was when he was in the hospital and said something about getting his dad from upstairs - when his dad is already dead at that point. I'm still curious as to how they're going to explain that given that this is a flash-forward.

My speculation when I thought there was a small possibility that it was a flashback was that Jack and Kate had planned the whole thing from the beginning, that they were really part of the Others, and had been recruited to come to the island the same way Juliette was. Only, I was thinking that they were somehow enlisted to crash the plane near the island to provide an additional supply of people for the Others, and those on the plane would never suspect Jack and Kate to be Others since they were on the plane from the beginning. I'm glad that isn't what actually happened, and it really was a flash forward.

The things I'm intrigued about most are whether or not Ben is really right about everything and whether he's acting and doing things for the better good (I think he might be at this point), and how it came to be that the rest of the world thinks the plane crashed and the wreckage and all of the bodies were found. I'm also pretty sure that Naomi's crew on the boat are going to be on the island soon, and that won't be a good thing.

Another mystery is who was in the coffin at the end of Season 3. My guess is Ben, as it seems like he would be the most likely character whose funeral no one would show up for, and it would also explain why Jack was so upset by the death if Jack wanted to get back to the island.

I'm also interested to start watching Season 4 and see just what the Losties are planning to do with Ben now that they have him. Somehow I can't see them just letting him go free, but I also can't see them just carrying him around with them like some sort of hostage. I guess Season 4 will explain how Jack and Kate (and presumable some others) get off the island.

Fav characters now: Ben (great acting there!), Locke (I like when he's in badass mode), Sawyer, and Sayid.
    Least fav characters: No one, really. I even felt sorry for Charlie at the end, though it seems like his death really didn't have to happen. Maybe he just felt that was his destiny, I don't know.

Question

In Episode 3 ("The Economist") of Season 4 of Lost, Sayid, Kate, and Miles go to the barracks to bring Charlotte back after she has been taken by Locke's group, after having made a deal with the pilot of the helicopter that if they can bring Charlotte back he will fly some of them to the freighter.

What I don't understand about that is this: why would they need to make a deal (bring Charlotte back in exchange for being flown to the freighter)?? Since they have the guns at that point, wouldn't Sayid just say "No, there's no deal. If you want to live, you fly us to the freighter now".

Maybe I'm missing something, but it didn't make any sense to me that Sayid, Jack, and Kate would agree to this deal when they could have forced the pilot to fly them to the freighter.

In Episode 3 ("The Economist") of Season 4 of Lost, Sayid, Kate, and Miles go to the barracks to bring Charlotte back after she has been taken by Locke's group, after having made a deal with the pilot of the helicopter that if they can bring Charlotte back he will fly some of them to the freighter.

What I don't understand about that is this: why would they need to make a deal (bring Charlotte back in exchange for being flown to the freighter)?? Since they have the guns at that point, wouldn't Sayid just say "No, there's no deal. If you want to live, you fly us to the freighter now".

Maybe I'm missing something, but it didn't make any sense to me that Sayid, Jack, and Kate would agree to this deal when they could have forced the pilot to fly them to the freighter.
    As I recall it, the Lostaways had to make some kind of deal with Frank, the copter pilot because he was the only one who could fly the copter. Sure, I guess they could have shot him but he was of no use to them dead. Threatening someone with a gun when shooting them would be a big problem for you is not very effective.

Season 4 has a number of very high-quality episodes. The Economist was a real winner but wait until you see "The Constant" and "Cabin Fever." Those two are real mind-blowers!

--Jason "give us more detailed thoughts on your theories and the such" Evans