Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    "bump"

Ha ha. I miss BD.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Fire and Water

DukeUsul's bon voyage 'Lost' post.

This episode gave me problems. I don't really want to recap it. I have a lot of problems with it. That said . . .

Flashback: Christmas morning when Charlie's a kid. Most of the presents are for Liam. Charlie wonders where his presents are. His mother tells him to look over here. Father Christmas brought him a piano. His mother tells him he's special, he's going to get them all out of there. We see the hands of Charlie's dad, a butcher cutting meet. Liam is suddenly older. The entire family is pleading with Charlie to save them, save them all. I don't think this is a flashback anymore. Charlie is now playing the piano on the beach. He hears a baby crying. It sounds like the baby is inside the piano. Charlie wakes up in a sweat. He is understandably very worried about Aaron. He sees Claire with Aaron and relaxes a bit until he sees Locke come up to the two of them, then the green-eyed monster (TM Shakespeare, it's in Othello) rears it's ugly head.

Charlie tries again to talk to Claire. She asks for some space. Charlie, it's really not unreasonable.

Flashback: Charlie goes to see his niece - Megan - in the hospital after she is born. Liam's wife Karen asks where Liam is. Charlie covers for him. Liam's on a bender, of course. Is that what you call it with the drugs? The story at this point is that Charlie and Liam are both doing heroin but in these flashbacks Charlie really seems to have it together, at least a lot more than Liam does. When exactly did Liam get married? How did he find a stable woman to marry him anyway? He's been a junkie for awhile. Anyway, Charlie goes back to his loft to find Liam passed out on the sofa. Megan was their mum's name. Charlie tells Liam to clean himself up.

Hurley asks Sawyer about Libby. Sawyer teases him, of course. Kate is helping Sawyer with his rehab exercises for his shoulder. They see Jack and Ana Lucia walk out of the jungle.

I'm on my husband's laptop and I have to post periodically or it zones out on me.

Fire and Water Part 2

Charlie sees Aaron's cradle floating out to sea. Where is everybody? Charlie, who can't swim, manages to get into the water and bring the cradle back (Charlie - no coward). Then he sees his mother and Claire dresses as saints (the Virgin Mary and St. Elizabeth maybe?), they have halos and they keep repeating that they have to save the baby. Hurley walks out dressed as Jesus(?) and asks him what he's doing. Charlie is standing on the beach holding the baby. Claire wakes up and panics. Everybody finds Charlie with Aaron. Charlie tells Claire he was dreaming. She slaps him. Charlie is losing his standing in the community.

Sawyer and Hurley play backgammon. Libby walks by. Sawyer helps Hurley out in his own Sawyer way. Have I mentioned before that I really like Sawyer?

Charlie talks to Locke, hoping Locke will put in a good word for him with Claire. Locke wants to know if Charlie is using again. Charlie gets upset, Kate sees horses, everybody sees Walt running around, nobody bats an eye but when Charlie sees something bizarre, it's got to be the drugs. He has a point people! Why is noone concerned about Aaron if Charlie keeps seeing visions of him in danger. Charlie, you would have me worried. Charlie tells Locke that he and Eko burned the plane and all the statues. Locke: All of them? Charlie lies. Charlie, I don't think lying to Locke is ever a good idea. Locke: Trust is a hard thing to win back. Claire needs time. That is good advice, Charlie, please try to listen.

Flashback: Driveshaft dressed as babies doing a diaper commercial. Selling out cause they need the money. Liam is too strung out and they lose the job. This scene was truly disturbing, Driveshaft dressed as babies. Funny, but disturbing and somehow not even remotely believable. I buy using a rock song in a diaper commercial but it would be much more likely to have babies dressed as Driveshaft. I'm just sayin.

OK, this is why I couldn't promise any vacation posts, I have to go make lunch. Still, DukeUsul, I'll get this done before you leave.

Thanks BD... but boy, what a tease!

More Fire and Water

Just figured out the episode title, it took me awhile, but I wasn't concentrating on it either.

OK, Libby and Hurley in the hatch doing laundry, Hurley asks if he knows her from somewhere (My guess? She worked at the mental hospital.) Libby tries on a shirt she found in the abandoned luggage. Libby reminds Hurley that he stepped on her foot when he was boarding the plane. She remembered him being the last to board and he stepped on her foot. (HOW? Hurley was not a Tailie and Libby was. Is this some kind of important clue or was she in a back of the plane bathroom just like Bernard. Maybe she was in the bathroom line behind Bernard. Come to think of it, Charlie was is a bathroom when the plane went crazy too. Maybe being in the bathroom improved your chances of survival.) Is it maybe, just maybe, possible that it's a case of lazy scriptwriting? I have yet to be convinced that Libby is going to be a major character but I could be wrong. I don't think she's an expendable crew member though, we'll see. OK, so Libby has Hurley turn his back while she tries on the shirt then she has Hurley turn back around, "What do you think?" Hurley, swallowing, "It's awesome." It's an awesome moment.

Eko is marking trees. Why? These are the ones he likes. Charlie tells Eko about his dreams. Eko listens to Charlie, thank you Eko. What if we do need to save the baby?

Charlie, agitated, tells Claire the baby is in danger - that he needs to be baptized. Locke watches.

Jack helps Ana Lucia with her shelter. Kate comes up and talks to Jack briefly. Ana Lucia: Are you hitting that? Yeah, Jack, are you? Ana Lucia says desert island, you're hot, she's hot, that's what people do. I agree, there's not near enough hitting it on the show to be completely believeable. I mean, I even buy Sayid and Shannon getting it on, just not the undying love. OK, so, Jack: No, I'm not 'hitting' that.

Charlie goes out to his statue stash.

Flashback: Charlie composing. He's got a good song going. Karen kicked Liam out because Liam dropped Megan.

Locke has followed Charlie to his stash. Locke takes the remaining statues. Mr. 'Don't tell me what I can't do' has decided that Charlie can't choose anymore. Mr. 'I'm addicted to sitting out in front of my wanker biological father's house' can't deal with the recovery process in a fellow addict? No oppressors like the oppressed, I always say. Charlie explains basically that having the statues around and not using is helping him be strong. He thinks the island is testing him. Charlie, man, I so get you in this episode. What is wrong with EVERYBODY ELSE - especially you, Locke. You have officially p*ssed me off. Locke (Mr. 'Despite my protestations when it comes to me, I can tell everybody else what they can and can't do'): You've given up the right to be believed. Did someone who didn't know Locke's character very well write this episode?

Claire wants to stay in the hatch for a little while. Locke offers to bunk near her instead. Claire tells Locke that Charlie thinks Aaron should be baptized. Locke: Charlie just feels he has to save the baby because he can't save himself.

That night Charlie starts a fire to get everyone's attention so he can take the baby. His plan is to baptize Aaron himself. Charlie, I get your frustration, but really, you're being a wanker with this move. Here's the fire. You baptize with water. Get it?

Flashback: Liam sold Charlie's piano so he could get money for tickets to Australia. Liam is going there to save his marriage and keep his family together. He's been clean for 2 days. He's going into rehab. You know, I'm happy for Liam and we already know he gets himself clean, but really, selling Charlie's piano? I suspect that was the beginning of the real descent for our Charlie. And when you got your act together, Big Brother, why the heck didn't you buy Charlie another piano? Wanker.

Charlie takes the baby down to the surf. Locke comes up to talk to Charlie. He's being reasonable now. Charlie gets upset. There's an exchange about how Locke has no real connection to Aaron. Locke reminds Charlie that he doesn't either. I should probably do some direct quotes here but I find it all too disturbing. Charlie gives Aaron to Locke who hands him to Claire. Locke then beats Charlie up. Everybody walks away from Charlie.

The next day, Jack checks Charlie out. He needs stitches on his cheek. Jack wants Charlie to promise it won't happen again. Charlie assures Jack that he didn't use heroin. Jack: That's not what I asked. Charlie: It's not going to happen again. I believe him. Jack sews Charlie's cheek up, just like that. Charlie has taken a beating, had gunpowder poured into a wound, been strung up until he was dead, and now his cheek sewed up. What's next? Does he get shot? I hope not.

Claire talks to Eko about baptizing Aaron.

Locke changes the combination on the gun closet.

Eko baptizes Aaron and Claire.

Locke stores the heroin statues in the gun closet.

Last shot is Charlie alone on the beach. He's taken Ana Lucia's place in the leper colony.

OK, the only explanation I can come up with for Locke's behavior in this episode is this - he sees something of himself in Charlie and it makes him mad. Locke kinda screwed his life up with his father obsession and he sees Charlie doing the same thing with his need to have the heroin security blanket. The beating was to get Charlie's attention and knock some sense into him. It may very well have worked. I'm still not happy with Locke at this point.

Time to do a role call, I think.

Favorite characters: Eko and Sawyer

On the A-List: Sun, Jack, Charlie, Hurley, Libby, Rose, Bernard, Kate, Sayid

Moving down: Locke

Maybe moving up: Ana Lucia

Whiny and starting to seriously get on my nerves: Claire

Not on the A-List but not quite sure where to put them: Jin and Michael, they waver around, and Michael's gone now.

Kids: Walt and Aaron.

Dead: Boone, Shannon, Joanna, Scott, Arzt

Ah, now I can travel in bliss. Thanks BD and enjoy the rest of your travels.

The Long Con

It's been awhile. This thread was only on page 3 though. Summertime. Let's see, do I remember how to do this?

Jack and Locke are in the gun closet, they call it the armory, checking on ammunition. Jack sees the Virgin Mary statues. Locke kept them just in case somebody needs heroin someday, you know, therapeutically. Not a bad idea actually, opiates are great pain relievers, no really, they are. Jack asks Locke for the combination. Locke gets all Lockey with Jack and delivers a lecture along with the combination. They agree that neither will ever open the closet without telling the other. Locke suggests they put the medicine in there too. Jack: Why would I need to do that?

Sawyer gives Charlie a hard time about having to move over with the outcasts. Sawyer further teases about how he's impressed with Charlie's ability to get everybody to hate him. He even got Locke to beat him which is like getting Gandhi to smack his children around. That Sawyer, he really does have a way with words. Charlie suggests that maybe Sawyer should be more worried about Jack going through his stuff. Guess what? Jack is going through his stuff. Guess what else? That pisses Sawyer off. Sawyer had taken some pills from the medical stash. Jack takes them back. There's a very macho stand off. Sawyer threatens Jack. Jack ignores him and walks off with the medicine. Somehow, I don't think this scene will be the end of it.

Flashback: Sawyer in bed with a woman, of course. Uh-oh, he's running the same con that we saw before. The suitcase falls open, "You weren't exactly supposed to see that." This chick is a smart one though. She sees right through Sawyer's antics. She tells him that he should have done his homework, she didn't get any money in the divorce. He's going to give it up but she asks him to show her how to con people.

Kate comes to talk to Sawyer. She heard about the confrontation. She brought Sawyer a magazine from the hatch to cheer him up. It's a copy of Essence from the 1970s with Farrah on the cover. (I watched this episode for the first time the day after Farrah died. It was a little freaky.) Sawyer can't read it because he lost his glasses on the raft. He asks Kate to read it to him. Kate starts to read "10 Ways to Tell if He's a Sensitive Man" - you know, sometimes I just love the writing on this show. Locke walks by. Sawyer: Now there's a sensitive man. Then he sees Jack coming out of the woods with Ana Lucia. Sawyer tells Kate about the army, they didn't ask him to join. Kate didn't know about the army. I guess they didn't ask her to join either. Sawyer guesses that he's not the only one on the outs with Jack.

Hurley shows Sayid the shortwave radio that Bernard had, the one he used to hear Boone's 'May Day' broadcast. Bernard is a dentist off the island by the way. Has that been mentioned before? Will it ever come in handy? Can Sayid fix it? Why would he want to, a shortwave radio is just a glorified walkie-talkie, if the planes transceiver is only going to pick up Rousseau, what could this radio possibly do? Hurley leaves it for him anyway.

Ana Lucia and Jack discuss the gun closet. She asks for the combination. Jack doesn't give it to her. She smiles(!), she was just kidding. She is amazed with the trust displayed on this part of the island. Ana Lucia: That's the nice thing about you people, you think you're safe. Jack: Trust me, nobody thinks that we're safe.

Sun in her garden - Vincent startles her. She relaxes, it starts to rain, then boom, somebody grabs her, throws a hood over her, ties her hands and drags her off. Kate and Sawyer are at his tent. He tells her to come in out of the rain. They both hear Sun scream. When they get to her she is unconcious, hands still tied, no hood (I think), and her forehead is bloody. Kate checks, she is breathing. Sawyer tells Kate to get Jack.

Sawyer carries Sun back to camp. Jack questions Kate. Kate: She was out cold and her hands were tied. Ana Lucia: They're back.

Jack assumes The Others broke their promise. Locke and Jack discuss what to do. Jack thinks they should get the guns. Locke is against arming up. He thinks if they start going around with guns they are just as likely to shoot each other as they are the bad guys. Locke, I agree. They decide to wait for Sun to wake up and question her about what happened. Jack says that once they know what happened, they are going to do something about it.

Kate and Sawyer look around where they found Sun. Sawyer wonders how Sun got away. Kate thinks she could have fought them off. Sawyer: You couldn't. You and Sun in a hot oil death match? My money's on you, Sheena. That's great stuff, really great stuff. No wonder this show has tons of fans. They find a hood. It looks just like the one The Others put over Kate's head. Uhm, no it doesn't. Sawyer points out the differences. It's all in the details. Somehow, I think a con man might know.

Flashback: Sawyer runs a con with his girlfriend. (Selling the necklaces at the gas station.) They share a look. She seems to be a natural. Is Sawyer falling in love? In Season 1, they play 'I never' and Sawyer says he's never been in love.

Kate asks Jack how well he knows Ana Lucia. Sawyer has convinced Kate that whoever attacked Sun, it was one of them. Kate obviously suspects Ana Lucia. Did Sawyer start that idea? I forgot to pay attention. Maybe. Or maybe it's just garden variety jealousy. Kate, you can't have everybody!

Ana Lucia tells Jack that she has recruited two members for the army, the 'big guy' who lives behind Sayid and Scott. Jack: You mean Steve, Scott's dead. And the joke continues into Season 2 even though Ana Lucia never met Scott. Poor Steve, he really should get a few more seconds of airtime so I, at least, know what he looks like, so far I've got a vague memory of some guy with dark hair. Jack, Mr. Easily Lead, questions her about her whereabouts during the rainstorm. Before Ana Lucia can get (justifiably) angry, Kate comes up. Sun is awake.

Jack questions Sun about what happened. Jin comes over. Sun and Jin speak in Korean, no sub-titles but we can kind of guess what this conversation might be about. Jin then turns to Jack: Gun.

Kate watches what is going on with Sawyer. Sawyer thinks that a posse is about to be formed. Kate figures that is was all a play by Ana Lucia to get her hands on the guns. She tells Sawyer to go warn Locke in the hatch that they are coming for the guns.

Flashback: Sawyer's girlfriend, Cassie, wants to run a long con. How do you run one? You get someone to do something like it's their idea but it's not, it's your idea. Lesson 1, future con artists. You can't run a long con without money though. Lesson 2. Cassie kinda lied about not getting money in the divorce. Sawyer: Kinda lied how much? Cassie: 600 grand. Sawyer: Well, hell, with that kinda money, let's go find an island somewhere and drink mojitos until we go toes up. She wants to run a long con first. Well, Sawyer's on this island instead of one where we have mojitos so I'm guessing that something goes wrong with this plan.

Locke is going through all the books in the hatch. Sawyer is curious but we know he's looking for film clips. Locke: How can I help you, James? Sawyer: Well, John and he proceeds to warn Locke about the approaching posse. Locke wants to know why Sawyer is telling him. Because it will piss Jack off. Works for me. Locke too. Locke decides to move the guns instead of changing the combination but he will need Sawyer's help. No, not to move the guns. Sawyer has to push the button. I know Sawyer is up to something but I'm not sure what. I'll just let him con me.

Flashback: Sawyer in a diner meeting his associate, Gordy. Kate's mom turns up as the waitress. Sawyer is not enthusiastic about finishing the con - Cassidy was the target all along. If he didn't really fall for her, he's sure is acting like he did in this scene. Gordy tells him that James owes him. If he doesn't pay up, Gordy will put one in his ear, Cassidy too. I'm keeping track of who calls him James. It's Locke and Gordy so far.

Jack and Jin show up for the guns to find Sawyer sitting at the computer. The gun closet is empty. Sawyer throws Jack a pill bottle. Jack knows something is up and starts to go at Sawyer. Jin stops him.

That night, Jack confronts Locke. An argument of conflicting philosophies ensues. It's stopped by gunfire. Sawyer appears carrying a rifle. Jack: You gave him the guns? Locke: No, I hid them. Somebody got conned by the master. Actually, everybody did. Me too. I knew something was up but I didn't think it was this. Sawyer: That's right Jack, he's as stupid as you. You were so busy worried about each other that you never saw me coming. Sawyer gives a speech about how he's the only one who knows where the guns are and if anybody wants one, they're going to have to go through him. He's tired of taking orders from Jack and Locke. Sawyer: There's a new sheriff in town, y'all best get used to it. Oh Sawyer, I know you're trying to make me hate you, but you haven't succeeded, not yet anyway.

Flashback: Sawyer tells Cassidy about the Gordy situation. He tells her to look outside at the black car. They have to get away. He comes clean - she was the target of the long con all along. She gets mad. He tells her she can hate him all she wants to later but now, she's got to get out of there. He packs the money in a suitcase and hustles her out the back door. Sawyer tells Cassie that he couldn't go through with it. He sends her to the Sageflower Motel in Sioux City (Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa.) As she leaves she tells Sawyer she loves him. Sawyer: I love you too.

Kate finds Sawyer. She suspects he had help. You know, he must have. Not Ana Lucia though, will they tell us? Kate also thinks that Sawyer does the things he does because he wants everybody to hate him. I agree. Why? Sawyer: You run, I con, tiger don't change their stripes.

Hurley reading a manuscript BAD TWIN by a fire. Sayid comes up. Hurley is enjoying the manuscript. He found it in a suitcase. It's like a mystery story. Sayid has fixed the 2-way radio. They find Rousseau's signal. Then they pick up The Glen Miller Orchestra playing Moonlight Serenade. Hurley remarks that since the signal is so strong they must be close, right? Sadly, no, radio waves bounce off the ionosphere. They could be coming from anywhere. Hurley: Or any time . . . kidding, dude. That does it! These writers are brilliant but whacked. OK, taking everybody back to the Hitchhiker's Guide, remember how Planet Earth sits at the edge of this time fault, I forget exactly how they explain it, but IIRC, it's kind of like the San Andreas, only it's a time fault, not an earthquake one, and earth keeps slipping back and forth over this fault? I'm telling you these people are Hitchhiker fans. Wonder if they like Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency too? It's getting close to the long dark teatime of my soul today. Time travel, it's coming. Maybe it's already happened.

Sawyer meets a hooded Charlie in the woods. Charlie! When did he grow a pair? Locke never saw Charlie following him when he hid the guns. Wow. That's changed since the last time Charlie followed him. Sawyer gives him a Virgin Mary. That's not why Charlie did it. Charlie: I wanted him to look like a fool, to feel like a fool. Charlie wants to make sure nobody ever finds out it was him who attacked Sun. Hmmmm, I doubt Sawyer ever plans to tell anyone but I'm not sure secrets can be kept forever around here. Charlie wants to know how Sawyer could come up with a plan like that? Yeah, Sawyer, how do you do it?

Flashback: Sawyer goes out to Gordy's car only it's empty. Sawyer gets in and starts counting. He makes it to 5 Mississippi before he goes back inside where the $600,000 is still in a suitcase. He switched bags and I didn't see where. (Sawyer counting to five, made a mental note.) Now, did he do this to help Cassie or not? Could they have run or did Sawyer send her away so she wouldn't get hurt? I don't have the best take on Gordy but maybe, just maybe Sawyer sacrificed to keep her out of danger. I'm guessing if that's true, he couldn't let her keep the money too. But then we have the last scene . . .

Sawyer, responding to Charlie's question: I'm not a good person, Charlie. Never did a good thing in my life.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 07-25-2009 at 02:33 PM.

One of Them

What, no comments about my last post? OK, how about a little love. Did you miss me? Yeah, I'll admit it, after a couple of weeks off, I need a little ego stroking.

Flashback: Sayid during the Gulf War, the first one, he's shredding documents and burning stuff in an office as the Americans approach. They bust down the door. They are going to start shooting unless everyone stops what they are doing. Sayid understands them. He tells the others to stop. Sayid's commanding officer is there too. Sayid does not give him up. The Americans (Kate's dad) approach Sayid about translating. Has he ever done any translating before? Sayid: Not formally. Kate's Dad: The fact that you know what formally means, we're good. They have captured his commanding officer - Tariq. They believe he has information about an Apache helicopter pilot who was shot down and captured. They want Sayid to talk to him.

So Kate's mom appeared in the last episode and Kate's dad appeared in this one. I just checked the character's first names - Sam and Diane. Hey! It's our first Cheers reference.

Sayid washing up in a rain barrel. Ok, it's not a barrel, it's a piece of blue tarp but you get the picture. Ana Lucia comes looking for Jack. Ana Lucia takes Sayid to where she has seen Rousseau wandering in the woods. Sayid tells Ana Lucia to go back, he'll deal with this. Sayid approaches her: What are you doing here Danielle? Danielle: Looking for you.

Sayid follows Rousseau through the jungle. He wants to know where she's taking him. Sayid explains why he doesn't completely trust her. She understands. To prove that he can trust her this time, she gives him her gun. If she's lying, he can shoot her. Sayid seems OK with that. She is taking him to see something that will help him, something important. Sayid: How much further? Rousseau: Not far.

Flashback: Sayid talks to Tariq. Tariq ignores the questions about the pilot and berates Sayid for helping the enemy. He tells Sayid to grab a gun and take a few Americans out before he is killed. Sayid is not impressed. But he doesn't translate word for word either.

Sawyer is being driven crazy by a tree frog - the noise. He asks Jin to help. Jin turns away. Sawyer: What, we're not friends no more? C'mon Sawyer, what do you expect? Sawyer heads into the jungle where he finds Hurley, eating ranch dressing. Hurley stashed some of the food from the hatch. Hurley begs Sawyer not to tell. Sawyer agrees as long as Hurley helps him find that darn tree frog. (Sawyer now knows big secrets about Hurley and Charlie. Sawyer likes to know things but he stores it all away until he needs the information. I suspect your secrets are safe with Sawyer as long as he doesn't benefit personally by revealing them.)

Rouseau leads Sayid to a man caught in one of her traps. He's suspended above the ground, just like Sayid was, only he's in a big net. Rousseau says he is one of them. The man yells that his name is Henry Gale and that he's from Minnesota. Henry Gale? Is that a philosopher? Nope, a physicist, wrote a widely used introductory physics textbook. Hmmm, I'm not going to read too much into that. Still, something about that name seems familiar. Anyway, Sayid cuts him down and frees him from the net where he promptly tries to run away. Rousseau shoots him with a crossbow. Henry falls to the ground. Sayid: You could have killed him. Rousseau: If I wanted to kill him, I would have killed him. He is one of them. He is no good to you dead. You talk to him Sayid. He will lie - for a long time - he will lie. Sayid puts him over his shoulders and carries him back to camp.

Flashback: Sayid is talking to a higher up American. This guy is a 'that guy' actor. I looked him up - Clancey Brown. OMG, he's the voice of Eugene Krabs on Spongebob Squarepants! His dress and demeanor scream army intelligence (or something like it) to me. He shows Sayid a tape of what Tariq had been up to before he assumed command of Sayid's unit. Tariq supervised the use of saran gas on a village - Sayid's village. All they want is the pilot back. Sayid: Tariq will never talk to you. Mr. Krabs: That's why you're going to make him talk to you. Mr. Krabs gives Sayid a 'tool' box.

Sayid takes Henry to the hatch. Henry tells Sayid and Locke that he crashed with his wife in a balloon on the island about 4 months ago. His wife got sick and died 3 weeks ago. Jack comes in and gets all Jack-like with Sayid and Locke. This man needs medcial treatment. Yeah, so? Jack starts to treat the arrow wound. Sayid (to Jack): Do not untie him.

Sawyer and Hurley in the jungle. Sawyer keeps making fat remarks to Hurley. Hurley has had enough. He tells Sawyer to find the darn frog by himself. Sawyer apologizes and says please. C'mon Hurley, Sawyer can't sleep, it's made him cranky. Hurley helps.

Jack treating Henry. Sayid and Locke discuss what to do. Locke thinks Henry is pretty convincing. Sayid wants Locke to change the combination. The gun closet is about to become an interrogation room. Sayid wants to find out who Henry is, he wants the truth. Sayid thinks they both know Jack would have a problem with Sayid's methods.

Henry passed out from shock. Jack agrees with Locke and Sayid's suggestion to put Henry in the gun closet. They carry him in. Sayid arranges it so that Jack and Locke exit first. He locks himself in with Henry. Jack: Sayid, what are you doing? Sayid: What needs to be done. Man, I sure hope nobody needs to go to the bathroom!

Flashback: Sayid with Tariq. They are alone. Sayid slowly takes things out of the toolbox. Tariq commands Sayid to kill himself. Sayid's not willing to do that. That will teach you to kill Sayid's family! Cut to Sayid leaving the room. The pilot was executed 2 days ago. He was buried in a field 4 kilometers away. Sayid can take them there. He hands over the toolbox - there is blood on his hands.

Jack discovers that Locke has changed the combination. Locke knows that Jack is raising an army. If we're raising an army then we must be at war. Makes sense to me. What Sayid needs to do is part of war. Jack: What if he's telling the truth? Locke: What if he's not?

Sayid questions Henry. Henry sticks to his story. I've gotta say, I love Sayid in interrogation mode. Well, I love Sayid anyway, but I love him even more when he gets to question somebody. Anything you want to know Sayid? I'll tell you. Henry gets frustrated and wants to know why he has to answer questions. Who are you after all? Sayid tells just enough of his story to be menacing. Sayid: My name is Sayid Jarrah and I am a torturer.

Hurley and Sawyer find the frog. Hurley wants to take the frog away, two beaches at least, and maybe find it a missus tree frog. Sawyer just crushes it. Hurley: Dude. Poor Hurley.

Sayid questions Henry some more. Sayid starts asking about Henry's dead wife, where he buried her, stuff like that, then he loses it a little bit, telling Henry that he would know the answers to stuff like that. "You would know if you buried the woman you loved."

Jack hears the scuffle, Henry and Sayid screaming. He wants Locke to open the door. The alarm goes off. Jack won't let Locke go push the button unless Locke opens the door. Locke opens the door.

Locke doesn't get the numbers entered in time. The clock turns red. It sounds like the blast doors are closing. There are pictures on the clock. The first three are red drawings on a black background. The last two are black drawings on a red background. I can't exactly describe them all. Number 4 is a bird. Number 5 looks like an arrow, tip at 11 o'clock, flared end at 5 o'clock. Number 1 is a hook of sorts. We don't see number 2. Number 3 is sort of like a bishop symble in chess, except simpler. I couldn't hazard a guess. There are 6 stations right? Maybe the symbols relate to the other stations, maybe not. Locke pushes then button and the clock resets. Everything now seems normal.

Jack pulls Sayid off of Henry and out of the gun closet. There's a shot of Henry's face as they close the door again that gives me chills. I agree with Sayid who says "He's one of them." I looked up the actor's name who plays Henry Gale - it's Michael Emerson. He's got a real Verbal Kint/Keyser Soze thing going on. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he doesn't exist. That's our Henry. Kevin Spacey could have played Henry. Or maybe Michael Emerson could have given us a bang up Verbal Kint. Henry Gale! Didn't Kevin Spacey play a character named Henry Gale? Nope, David Gale. OK, I'm on record, Henry is absolutely one of The Others. I'll be shocked if I'm wrong. There is no point to this story either, if he's just some balloon guy. How did he get trapped by Rousseau anyway? That's the only nagging bit because I would have thought that 16 years in, they'd all know how to avoid Rousseau's traps. But, oh well.

Flashback: Sayid in a truck with American soldiers and Kate's Dad. They let him go. Mr. Krabs - who speaks Arabic - gives him money. Sayid says he will never do that again. Mr. Krabs (as well as all of us) know better.

Sayid with Charlie on the beach, this scene isn't quite as perfect as Sawyer telling Jack about his dad from Season 1, but it's close. Sayid tells Charlie: There is a man down in the hatch. A stranger, captured by Rousseau. I beat him. I beat him badly. Charlie: Why are you telling me this, Sayid? Sayid: Jack asked me how I knew, knew for sure that this man was lying. I know because I feel no guilt for what I did to him . . .
    Both of them have forgotten. Charlie: Forgotten what?
    Sayid: That you were strung up by your neck and left for dead . . .

I haven't forgotten that these people - these others - are merciless, that they can take any one of us whenever they choose. So tell me Charlie, have you forgotten?

D*mn, that's a good scene.

And for the record, I haven't forgotten.

Woooo! BD is back! I missed you!

Things are picking up!

Wow. I forget again how crazy that episode was. These recaps have been missed. I can't wait to discuss it with you after you are caught up.

Welcome back, Bostondevil....

I, for one, am quite happy the recaps are back!

There's more coming and soon. A lot more. Will try to get at least one episode a day up for the next few days.

I'm aquiver with anticipation.

Maternity Leave

Aaron is crying, it's night. Claire wakes Locke up. She's very worried about Aaron - he has a fever and a rash. Jack is in the hatch. Claire starts to go but Locke stops her. He will walk to the hatch and get Jack. Once in the hatch, he asks about Henry. Henry has been quiet all night.

Meanwhile back at the beach. Rousseau shows up. She's worried about the baby too. She thinks he's infected. "Your child - he's sick. You don't remember do you?" Quick images, Claire remembering, some images repeat. Kate comes along and runs Rousseau off. Kate: What did she say? Claire: She says something is wrong with the baby.

Jack checks the baby. Yes, he has a fever but babies do that. It's probably roseola, nothing to worry about, just let it run its course. Here's the thing. I know Aaron was born in Season 1 and it probably feels like he's getting on up there baby-wise but really? He's only about 3 weeks old. Under 2 months a fever in a baby is a big, big deal. They usually get hospitalized. So. I'm just saying. Jack is not worried. Claire, she still is worried. Me? I don't think Aaron has this big infection. I think it will probably run it's course. The baby playing Aaron is probably about 4 months old. Do you ever notice in longshot that Claire is obviously carting a doll around? It happens sometimes.

Claire talks to Libby. Can Libby help Claire remember. Claire tells Libby about being abducted and that she can't remember what happened during the two weeks she was gone.

Locke and Jack bring Henry some food. Locke gives him a book - The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. Henry wonders if they have any Stephen King. The library's a little outdated Henry. Locke tells Jack that Hemmingway was jealous of Dotoyevsky (good, misogynist old drunk). He thought Dostoyevsky was a genius. He wanted to be the world's greatest writer but he thought he'd never get out from under Dostoyevsky's shadow. BD will go off on a tangent now, just for the heck of it. Anton Chekov, the playwright, had a nephew, Mikhail (Misha), who studied under Stanislavsky in Russia and later came to Hollywood where he worked as an acting coach. Among his students were Yul Brenner and Marilyn Monroe. Towards the end of his life, he talked up a film version of The Brothers Karamazov in Hollywood. He wanted Marilyn Monroe to play Grushenka. He thought it would be the perfect vehicle for her to show off her dramatic acting chops. Think about that. Marilyn Monroe in a Dostoyevsky picture. The role actually went to Maria Schell, sister of Maximillian. Yes, well, 'Lost' can make me think of many things.

OK, Locke wants to know what the long term plan is regarding Henry. Hmmm, nah, I'm not going on a Harrison Ford tangent. Jack doesn't have one. But just like the long term plan for pushing the button (there isn't one), for now, they're going to have to just keep doing what they're doing.

You know, it's not like we don't find out a lot in this episode, we do. But it's all plot. There's not much character development and not much new going on. It's more a bring the audience up to speed and solve a couple of mysteries and it's just kind of boring to recap. I'm going to skim sometimes here. Speaking of mysteries, polar bear? Adam and Eve? Does every loose end get tied up?

OK, Libby helps Claire with some relaxation exercises and Claire starts to remember things. In the flashbacks we see a teenaged girl more than once, big blue eyes. Claire crocheting baby booties. Ethan is the doctor in these flashbacks. Claire is obviously drugged up. Ethan gave her a sedative. She's loopy. The keep injecting her stomach with something. It looks like the same stuff we saw Desmond inject into himself way back in Episode 2.1. I think that's the correct way to reference an episode. Ethan explains that it's medicine for her baby.

Clarie snaps out of it, screaming. Kate comes over. Claire says she saw Ethan. She needs to find that examining room. She needs the medicine for Aaron.

Eko comes to the hatch. He's looking for a saw. Henry is in the bathroom. Eko sees the bed.

Kate tells Sawyer that she needs a gun and doesn't get to ask why. Sawyer proves her wrong, "Why?" He's reading again, he found another pair of glasses. Kate answers the question. She's going into the jungle with Claire to help her find Rousseau. The baby is sick. Claire is going whether Kate comes or not. Sawyer gives her a gun. Without much fuss. See, when the chips are down, Sawyer comes through. You have yet to fool me, Softie. He also very much appreciates honesty. But he does want to know everybody secrets.

Claire leaves Aaron with Sun. Sun doesn't think she should leave him when he's sick. Sun make a comment. Claire replies "Are you a mother?" The way Sun says no (and the way they shoot it) - there's a story behind that no.
    That line triggers more memories from Claire. We see Ethan telling Claire she needs to be sure. Ethan is still giving Claire shots but this time he has a surprise for her. He shows her to a nursery. It's for her baby. There's an airplane mobile over the crib. She asks about Charlie. Ethan lies. Clarie wonders where all the baby stuff came from. Ethan thinks it would be overwhelming to explain. It would also be 4 seasons too soon. Oh, they are in another hatch. It's symbol is a caduceus. Makes sense, it's the medical hatch.

Mr. Friendly, sans beard, shows up while Ethan is with Claire in the nursery. Mr. Friendly: What the hell happened? You were supposed to make the list and then bring her in. Ethan: It's not my fault. They had a manifest. They knew I wasn't on the plane. Mr. Friendly: Well, what am I supposed to tell him? You know what he's gonna do when he finds out? They both seem afraid of Him. 10 to 1 Him is Henry. Keyser Soze people, Keyser Soze.

Claire snaps out of it again. Sun asks if she's all right. Kate is ready to go. Kate and Claire leave.

Kate and Claire talk about Rousseau out in the jungle. Claire wants to know how Rousseau's team died. Kate: She killed them. Claire: Why? Rousseau appears: Because they were infected. Claire wants Rousseau to take her back to where she scratched Rousseau. Claire tells Rousseau she remembers the room, the medicine, a teen-aged girl. Rousseau agrees to take her. It's not far.

Eko finds jack and asks him about the man they are keeping in the hatch. Locke didn not tell him anything. Eko wants to speak to him. Eko: I wish to speak to him alone. Why should Jack do this? Because Jack wants to keep it a secret. I really don't think I'd ever be able to say no to Eko about anything.

Kate, Claire, and Rousseau get to the place where Claire scratched Rousseau. Claire thinks Rousseau was trying to drag her back to The Others. They argue. Kate ends up pulling a gun. Rousseau: Go ahead. Do it. Claire heads off. She's looking for the hatch.

Claire sees a fallen tree. She sat there with Ethan when he took her for a walk. We see the walk. Claire - loopy, no wonder she didn't remember. She was drugged up the whole time. Ethan is going to miss her. After she has the baby she's going back to her camp because there isn't enough vaccine for her and the baby. Really? They are going to just let her go? Ethan pretends that Claire has a choice about leaving the baby with them. I don't believe him for a second. Ethan: We're good people, Claire. We're a good family. Hmmmm. Family?

Kate and Rousseau catch up to Claire. She remembers enough to locate the hatch doors. They open them. It's empty inside. There are flashing lights inside, like when a flourescent bulb is about to burn out. They go in. Kate finds flashlights. They find the hallway we've seen Claire walk down. Kate looks for the power switch. Claire and Rousseau find the nursery. Kates finds lockers with Deliverance clothes, theatrical glue, and fake beards.

Claire finds the baby bootie which triggers another memory. The teenage girl wakes Claire up. She tells Claire that Claire needs to get out of there. They are planning to cut the baby out of her that night. "You are going to die."
    The girl drugs Claire saying, "You'll thank me for this one day."

Claire finds the examination room. The medicine cabinet is empty.

Claire yells at Rousseau then remembers. She is lying on the ground, unconcious. Rousseau finds her at the same time that people with torches are calling her name. Claire keeps calling to Ethan. She wants to go back. That's when she scratches Rousseau. Rousseau knocks her out.

Claire: You weren't trying to take me back, were you? You were tyring to save me. Rousseau: I carried you back to your camp on my back. I left you where they would find you. Rousseau turns to leave, "You weren't the only one who didn't find what they were looking for." Claire tells Rousseau that she remembers a teenaged girl with blue eyes. That girl, the one that helped Claire, it's got to be Alex.

Jack brings Eko to see Henry. Locke tells Eko not to tell Henry what the alarm is for. Eko: What is it for?

Eko goes in to see Henry. He starts his manipulative, poor little me routine. Eko isn't having any of it. This scene is another great one.
    Eko: You are a prisoner because they are being careful. They are being careful because they think you are lying.
    Henry starts to protest.
    Eko: Please stop talking, Henry. (Henry does. Smart.)
    Eko tells his story of the first night, how he killed the two men who attacked him.
    Eko: I need you to know how sorry I am for this. I need you to know that I am back on the righteous path now and that I regret my actions. I ask you for your forgiveness. Henry: Why are you telling me this? Eko: Because I needed to tell someone. Eko then takes out his knife which alarms Henry. Eko cuts off two longer beard curls from beneath his chin.

Jack checks on Aaron. He's doing better. Claire gives him the bootie. "You're mine and I love you." BD loves a cute baby scene.

Henry goes into A+ manipulation mode with Locke. Henry: Is that true what you said about Hemmingway? Henry wants to know if Locke is the genius or the guy who is always living in the shadow of the genius. Henry: I just don't understand why you let the doctor call all the shots. Locke disagrees. Henry: Right, OK, my mistake. Locke leaves the gun closet but he's angry and frustrated. He throws some plates around, making a lot of noise. Cut to Henry smiling in the gun closet. Oh Locke, I cannot believe you fall for this stuff. Henry is both Keyser Soze and a Dan Clancy.

Who's Dan Clancy? He's a guy I used to know and his skill was figuring out somebody's weakness within minutes of meeting them. It was incredible how good he was at it. But he'd often take it one step further and start picking at that weakness until the other person was a quivering mass of insecurity. I didn't much like Dan Clancy.

Welcome to the hotel california
    Such a lovely place
    Such a lovely face
    They livin� it up at the hotel california
    What a nice surprise, bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
    The pink champagne on ice
    And she said �we are all just prisoners here, of our own device
    And in the master�s chambers,
    They gathered for the feast
    The stab it with their steely knives,
    But they just can�t kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
    Running for the door
    I had to find the passage back
    To the place I was before
    �relax,� said the night man,
    We are programmed to receive.
    You can checkout any time you like,
    But you can never leave!

That's it people! The island is the Hotel California!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Speaking of mysteries, polar bear? Adam and Eve? Does every loose end get tied up?
    Don't know. We're still waiting for next season!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

You know, I have a love/hate relationship with Bill Simmons. He makes me so mad sometimes, particularly when he goes on and on about what wankers Duke graduates are, all of us. But just when I think I can quit him, he'll write some wonderful article that reminds of why I started reading him in the first place and he sucks me back in. Yesterday I read his 'Almost Famous' NBA column. Nice stuff, the kind of stuff I read Bill Simmons for, and then he drops a whopper of a 'Lost' spoiler right in the middle of it. Love and hate in the same day. I just want it noted I said this

Time travel, it's coming. Maybe it's already happened.
    before I read the column. And now I'm just going to try and forget it ever happened.

By the way, for those of you off to read the column, I didn't have to look up the actress or the movie.

Here's the thing, even the Academy people thought this actress had no chance of winning. She's seated way in the back probably right next to the guy who wins Animated Short Subject. I swear she has the loooongest walk ever made by a winner in any of the 6 major Oscar categories. I wonder if there's a YouTube clip of it?

By the way, check out Bill Simmons mailbag (I made it in once), he only includes emails from women if they make a sex joke, he can make a sex joke about them, or if he can rag on how stupid they are. I'm in the third category. Now you probably want to know what I said to make it in the mailbag. I just defended John C. Reilly's career saying that he didn't disappear between Boogie Nights and Talladega Nights but was off doing some pretty fine acting. Bill Simmons remarked that nobody wants to see John C. Reilly in Hard Eight or Criminal. Oh, OK.

I've got two episodes I'll try to post today but for now, I'm back running again. Boston Marathon 2013 here I come.