Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You will never... I mean NEVER... figure out who fell past the window.
    Whoa... I'm past the episode that reveals the answer to this, but I did not make that connection at all.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You will never... I mean NEVER... figure out who fell past the window.

Oh, I cannot wait for this!!

-Jason "what about Lisa Simpson, she's a good Lisa" Evans
    The guy falling past the window comes up again? I didn't even think about him, poor guy, I just figured he was a plot device. Hmmm, nah, not taking the bait. I'll speculate, but not on that.

Is everybody done throwing things at me? Good.

OK, thoughts, as promised.

The numbers are a beacon to attract people to the island. Like the One Ring, when thwarted one way, they find another way to get out into the world. I don't think that's their only reason for being but it's their first job. Are they inherently evil? I'm not willing to go that far yet.

Hurley stepping on the pressure trigger reminded me of Charlie and the hive which reminded me of Adam and Eve. That got dropped quickly, I suspect they will come back up. Who are they? Did they give birth to The Others? I don't think so. Could they be members of Rousseau's team? They've been there to long. Could The Others be members of Rousseau's team? I doubt Ethan was (I do not think Ethan is Alex.) I get the feeling that Ethan was not acting alone, so, perhaps Alex is with that group, perhaps others of Rousseau's team didn't die after all and are with that group. Perhaps The Others are a combo of people who were born on the island and people who have been brought to the island. Speaking of being born on the island. Claire better have that baby soon, as in Season 1. Why did Rousseau record 'Where is Alex?' in 5 different languages? Was her team multinational? She hasn't said.

The raft seems like a bad idea to me, I'm not getting on it.

I keep going back to BSLR because, for me at least, it's the perfect reference. I firmly believe that in this story there is a REASON why it's these people and perhaps why it's this particular time.

Timeline - Rousseau has been there for 16 years, the plane crash happened pre-2004 (the Red Sox have indeed won the World Series, twice!), I seem to remember that Sayid hasn't seen Nadia for 7 years. I'm thinking it puts us in 2002, 2003, so Rousseau has been there since the late 80's. Hurley won the lottery about a year ago. Now, Hurley is on the TV in Not Donger's house, could it be because of his lottery win? That would put Jin beating up Not Donger about a year ago. Enough time for him to feel remorse, visit his father, and for Sun to cut her hair? Yeah, sure.

Well, that's something. Predictions are harder for me to make. I don't really have any besides Boone. I think Claire's baby is a boy, but I think she said so on the show at one point. I don't know why I think that, but I do. Oh, I think The Others were after Claire because of the baby.

Lisa Simpson is indeed a good Lisa.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Whoa... I'm past the episode that reveals the answer to this, but I did not make that connection at all.
    OK guys, enough, it's Locke and that's how he lost the use of his legs.

I'm kidding, I don't think that, but if it turns out to be true, I expect to be called genius. And for the record, I'm one and done, there is no way I'm predicting how many football games the Atlanta Falcons will win this year. I intend to rest on my prognosticating laurels for at least 4 seasons.

One more time line note, Locke lost the use of his legs 4 years ago. So, it's not him falling past the window.

Deus Ex Machina

God from the Machine, I'm scared of this episode, really, what's the dream going to reveal. I'm telling you if an autistic kid shows up with a snow globe, I'm going after Mssrs. Abrams and Lindelof, and I guess a whole host of others.

OK, we open with Locke in a bad toupee working in a toy store. He can walk so it's more than four years ago. Locke is demonstrating the game 'Mousetrap'. It's Locke's favorite game (not backgammon?), you build the trap by moving the pieces from off the board one by one. Hey guys, I think we've got a metaphor for the whole series here! Swoosie Kurtz keeps looking at him. He goes over to see if she needs help. She wants to know where the footballs are.

Boone/Locke trying to break the glass on the hatch. They have built a trebuchet and yes, I had to look up how to spell it. It doesn't work and the rebound from the glass causes the trebuchet to collapse. I'm still rather impressed that Locke knew how to build one. Has the island been feeding him all this knowledge or did he come with it, or is it a combination? Rhetorical question. Boone points out a piece of metal embedded in Locke's lower leg. He didn't feel it. Later, he dresses his injured, bloody leg. He's losing feeling in his legs. He takes a stick from the fire and holds it up to his foot. He doesn't feel it.

Boone and Locke start over on the trebuchet. Locke: The island will tell us what to do.

Flashback: Locke chasing Swoosie Kurtz through a parking lot. He is hit by a car, nope that's not it, he gets up and keeps chasing Swoosie. He confronts Swoosie, she's his mother. Swoosie tells Locke that her finding him is a sign of great things to come. Locke asks about his father. Swoosie: You were immaculately conceived. Locke as Christ figure? I'm not buying that one.

Sawyer is having headaches. He seeks herbal advice from Sun. Kate finds out. Kate asks Jack about headaches. Aw, she's worried about Sawyer. Jack won't do anything until Sawyer comes to him.

Boone is ready to give up. He gets mad at Locke. Locke: The island will give us a sign. Locke, buddy, you're sounding a little coocoo to me. Boone: What kind of sign will the island send us? Aaaand a plane flies overhead. Well, then. Things go crazy. Locke watches the plane head toward a crash landing. He sees Swoosie in a fur coat pointing. Suddenly he's back in a wheelchair. Boone, standing on the hatch, covered in blood, also pointing, chants "Theresa falls down the stairs, Theresa falls up the stairs, Theresa falls down the stairs, Theresa falls up the stairs." Locke wakes up. OK, if that's the deus ex machina, I'm fine with that. Well done and show, you've already set us up to believe the island talks to Locke, so OK. Just don't overdo it.

Flashback: Private investigator telling Locke about his mother. She has been in several mental institutions, not a criminal but definitely a bit nutty. What about Locke's father? The investigator found him but is reluctant to give Locke the information. He thinks getting father and son together won't have a happy ending. Me too, now. Locke still wants the folder. Locke goes to see his father, Anthony Cooper. The actor, Kevin Tighe, doesn't look old enough to be Locke's father (he's not, born in 1944, O'Quinn 1952) but OK, I get it, the toupee is supposed to signify this happened awhile ago. For that matter, Swoosie Kurtz was also born in 1944. I wonder how long ago this stuff is supposed to have taken place. Oh well, perhaps we will find out but I'm not worried enough about it to go back and see if I can tell from the flashbacks. Anyway, the first meeting with dear old dad goes well. Anthony invites Locke to go hunting with him. OK, so that's where he learned to hunt.

Locke tells Boone about the dream. Boone asks if Locke has been eating some of "that wacky paste stuff that made me see my sister get eaten?" Oh, I thought it was the LMM that made him see his sister get eaten, Locke did it? Well, he didn't know what Boone would see but Locke sent Boone on a trip. OK. Boone is still skeptical until Locke asks, "Who's Theresa?" Boone reacts, he's a bit spooked, I think. Locke tells him that they are supposed to find that place. He asks Boone to come with him.

Jack checks on the raft and sees Sawyer with a wet cloth on his forehead. Sawyer is being typical Sawyer but he is actually worried. Sawyer has to do his thing before he can get down to any honest business, we've seen it before. Sawyer had an uncle that died of a brain tumor. Jack tells him phantom smells are a sign of a brain tumor (so are throwing up in the morning and partial facial paralysis, just in case you were wondering). Sawyer declines any 'tests' but we see him sniffing as Jack walks away.

Boone/Locke Boone is weirded out by the whole Theresa thing. Locke falls down. His legs are getting weaker. Locke finds rosary beads. Then a dead body dressed as a priest falls out of a tree.

Flashback: Locke shows up to go hunting with Anthony. He's early so he catches Anthony getting his dialysis. Anthony is on the donor list, but, he's an old man, so.

Boone/Locke with the dead priest. Locke thinks he could have been there anywhere from 2-10 years. They find a wad of cash, Nigerian money, and a gun on the body. Locke: I'm not so sure he's a priest.

Sawyer - headaches - some unnamed survivors are pounding some metal. Sawyer yells at them. Kate sees this and takes charge, he's going to see Jack. Jack gives him an exam then asks some very personal questions as Kate listens. Jack is showing his wanker side in this scene. Perhaps Sawyer deserves it. Sawyer leaves in a huff. Jack says to Kate, "He needs glasses."

Locke tells Boone about the wheelchair. They are there because there is something they are meant to find.

Flashback: Locke out hunting with Anthony. After a particularly good shot, Anthony calls him 'Son'.

Boone helps Locke through the woods. Locke falls down again. Boone confesses that Theresa was his nanny. He used to treat her poorly, making her come up and down the stairs to his room by calling her all day on the intercom. One day she took a bad step, fell and broke her neck. Boone was 6. I feel for Boone right there, especially when Locke starts laughing. But no, Locke is laughing at the scene before him, a plane resting on top of a canopy of trees. Locke can't move his legs much so he sends Boone to climb up into the plane. Oh Boone! Don't do it! I've got a bad feeling about this. You were all bloody in Locke's dream. He didn't tell you that part! I know I think you're toast, and a somewhat useless character as far as furthering the drama goes, but still.

Flashback: Locke with Anthony in the hospital, pre-op. Locke is giving Anthony a kidney. I knew we were going there. Is this going to end well or not? I'm thinking not because of the TPS reports and what the investigator said.

Jack tells Sawyer he has hyperopia. He's far-sighted. All that reading has made it more noticeable. Jack pulls out a box of glasses, from dead people on the plane, presumably, and has Sawyer start trying them on. Then we see Sayid soldering the lenses from two different pairs together. It all makes for one comical pair of glasses but at least our guy can see now.

Boone climbs some vines and enters the plane. He finds maps of Nigeria and another dead body. Then he finds the heroin inside statues of the Virgin Mary. Boone: This is what we're supposed to find? Heroin? Then Boone notices the radio. The plane starts shaking. Locke yells for Boone to get out of there. I'm thinking the same thing. The radio, miraculously, works. Boone: Hello, hello, anybody out there? May Day, May Day
    Response: Is someone there?
    Boone: We're survivors of Oceanic Flight 815.
    Locke is yelling for Boone to get out, so I had to listen more than once
    Response: We're the survivors of Flight 8-1-5. Aaand the plane goes over with Boone inside. Locke struggles with his legs but gets to the plane. He pulls a bloody Boone from the plane and manages to carry him over his shoulders.

Kate is thanking Jack as Locke brings Boone into camp. Jack immediately goes into savior mode. Jack: John, tell me exactly what happened? Locke is gone.

Flashback: Locke wakes up in the hospital. Dad isn't there. Mom shows up and says it was all Dad's idea (to swindle a kidney from Locke). Later Locke goes to confront Anthony and he is denied entrance by the security guard. The guard feels for Locke but can't help him. Locke drives home, screams in anger and frustration. And yes, Locke, I would agree with you, your dad is not cool. I'm just sorry you were a match for your dad, so much better for you if you weren't.

Locke at the hatch, pounding on it in anger and frustration. Then - a light turns on that we can see through the glass. Spooky!
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 06-12-2009 at 02:05 PM.

I had forgotten how good that episode was and about the radio response. Love the write-ups. These are fun.

Do No Harm

Gotta be Jack.

It is.

Jack works on a seriously injured Boone, barking directions. Boone's lung collapses. Kate's a bit stunned. Jack sends her to the beach to get alcohol from Sawyer.

Flashback: Jack tying a tuxedo bowtie for Silverman, but it turns out he's just the best man, Jack is the groom.

Jack tells Boone he's not going to die. Jack: I am going to save you. Maybe I'm wrong about Boone.

Raft builders, Kate runs up, "I need all your alcohol - now!" Sawyer hops to, gives it all to her and even offers to come help. Yes, Sawyer. I am right about Sawyer, by the way.

Jack sews up Boone who needs a blood transfusion.

Flashback: Jack's bride give a toast at the rehearsal dinner. It's Julie Bowen from Boston Legal, but I'm sure all of you knew that. I didn't. She had been in a serious car accident 2 years ago. Jack fixed her. He did a mighty good job too, she doesn't seem to have any lasting issues from the accident, or any scars. Jack is the most commited man she's ever known. Bride-to-be:To Jack, my hero. Ew. If I were at that rehearsal dinner, I'd feel the need to tell some story about Jack puking in a trash can after a drunken round of partying in college, to Jack - my hero.

Jack sets Boone's leg. I know he's a surgeon, but what kind? He seems to know everything there is to know about medicine. Kind of like the specialties on Grey's Anatomy, they know everything! (I don't watch that show anymore, by the way.)

Kate running back, falls and breaks some of the alcohol bottles. She hears something. It's Claire. She's in labor, of course.

A lot happens in this episode but I'm finding it doesn't really need a detailed report.

The flashbacks are about Jack and Sarah's wedding. (Jack plays piano.) He's worried his father won't show and he's having difficulty writing his vows. His father eventually shows up and says, "Commitment is what makes you tick, Jack. The problem is you're just not good at letting go." Jack makes up his vows on the fly at the wedding, ending with "I didn't fix you, you fixed me. I love you, Sarah, and I always will." Yeah, but there's no way he falls in love with a patient unless she looks like Julie Bowen.

Nobody knows their blood types. Hey Jack, I'm O-neg, you can use me. Oh, you're O-neg too? Jack is a universal donor? Why am I not surprised. Blood banks love me, by the way. Sun brings Jack a sea urchin. He can use the spines as needles. That Sun, I might make an alliance with her instead of Locke. She's got mad skills too. The three of us are taking the other tribes down. Jack sets up the transfusion from his arm to Boone's.

Meanwhile Shannon is off on another beach having a romantic evening with Sayid. Ew. She's so college girl ditzy and he's so, well, Sayid!

Jack sends Charlie back to Kate with instructions. Kate is going to have to deliver the baby. There are more scenes of this but, to sum up, Claire is frightened of the whole process, Kate too, but they manage and a healthy baby boy is delivered. Jin and Charlie witness this but don't really help much. Charlie hugs Jin at the end which is very sweet.

Boone has moments of lucidity where he tells Jack some of the story, "It fell, the plane. It fell on me. It's cause of the hatch. Lacke said not to tell about the hatch." Then he mumbles Shannon. Blood is pooling in Boone's leg. The transfusion isn't helping much. Sun pulls the needle out of Jack's arm, "Enough." You go girl. Jack asks Hurley to get Michael. Hurley: Dude, you're looking a little goth. Great writing. Jack discusses with Michael how to amputate Boone's leg. The move him into position with something that will fall on Boones leg. It works on a log, so. Boone tells Jack to wait just before he slams the contraption down. Boone says that there is no chance. Boone: I know you made a promise, I'm letting you off the hook. Let me go Jack. Boone, sweetie, don't you understand? Jack isn't good at that. But Jack does what Boone asks. Jack: I'm sorry. Boone: Don't be. Boone, dying, "Tell Shannon . . . Tell Shannon" and that's it. Boone dies without relaying the message to anybody else, the one about the other survivors of Flight 815.

Everybody gathers on the beach to see the baby. Shannon and Sayid return. Jack delivers the bad news. Shannon cries over Boone's body. Jack is exhausted but he tells Kate "He didn't die, he was murdered." Kate: Where are you going? Jack: To find John Locke.

OK, so when you were reading my prediction that Boone was a goner, how many of you thought, wow, she's good? Go ahead, be honest. I won't make you call me genius because c'mon, that one was really telegraphed, he said himself that he felt like a red shirt guy.

OK, 45 survivors, down one, but add one baby so, still 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post

OK, so when you were reading my prediction that Boone was a goner, how many of you thought, wow, she's good? Go ahead, be honest.
    You're good! And I'm in love with Julie Bowen too.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Kate and Claire

BD,

Can you elaborate a little (if you remember) on the Kate / Claire delivery scene?

Sure, remember it's all interspersed with Jack trying to save Boone. Kate comes running back with the alcohol. She trips and breaks some of the bottles. She hears a noise. It's Claire in pain, obviously having contractions. She's trying to walk but she can't really. Jin comes upon them. Kate sends Jin on with the alcohol and tells him to get Jack.

Sun transates about Claire, Charlie hears it and takes Jack's intructions back to Kate. And some point Jack says he's not coming to Claire, he's staying with Boone. Kate will have to deliver the baby. Wait until the contractions are 60 seconds apart then start pushing. Don't push extra hard at the beginning, wait until the baby's head crowns. Make sure she clears the baby's mouth and nose once he's born.

Claire's contractions stop, "See, they've stopped. I'm fine now!" Kate tries to get her to sit down. Then her water breaks. Charlie and Jin come back. Claire starts talking about how she isn't ready for this. She didn't want this baby, she was going to give it away. The baby's going to know that. Kate: Do you want the baby now? Claire: Yes. Kate: The baby is going to know that too. Jin and Charlie are nearby but not helping. I don't remember if it's the same scene or not but Claire says, "I can't do this". Kate: Yes, you can. Claire: No, I can't! Kate: Claire, you're going to have to. And they do. Charlie and Jin help clean the baby up. I must say, they do a mighty fine job of it considering there's no water around. I speak from personal experience when I say that babies come out a bit messy.

One of my playwright friends dubbed me the 'Queen of the Obscure Reference' when he read my play that has a Leroy Neiman joke in it. I bring this up because I do make tangential references in my recaps. If anything doesn't make sense to you, go ahead and ask. I'll give you the 3 sentence synopsis if necessary.

The Greater Good

First shot is Sayid - watching Shannon grieve over Boone.

Sayid: Is there anything I can do for you? Sayid tries to comfort Shannon.

Flashback: Sayid in handcuffs at Heathrow airport. Naveen Andrews really seems short, doesn't he? OK, went to imdb.com, he's 5'8", so, shortish. Anyway, they've arrested him because the CIA wants his help. Some C4 explosives have been stolen in Australia. Sayid is not a terrorist, no, but he knows one. His roommate from university - Assam - is living with a known cell in Sydney. (I listened three times and I couldn't understand what the CIA agent said, so I don't know what university they went to together.) Why should Sayid help them? They know where Noor is. Sayid: Nobody calls her Noor.

We last saw Jack tracking Locke. Kate finds him easily. He's walking in circles again. I'm really glad there is something that Jack is not good at. Jack is still mad. Locke lied and he based his medical treatment on that lie. It contributed to Boone's death. Kate wants him to come back to the beach and rest.

They bury Boone. What happened to the wild animals digging up the bodies? So far we've buried the marshall, Scott, Ethan, and now Boone. They have a service. Shannon declines to say anything so Sayid speaks. Locke shows up, "It was my fault." Locke tells the story of the plane and the accident. Boone found a radio in the plane and was trying to send a message when it fell. Locke: Boone was trying to help us, he was a hero. Jack charges at Locke, "Where the hell were you?" Others pull Jack away from Locke. Jack falls down, he is fatigued. Everybody urges him to rest.

Flashback: Sayid praying in a Mosque. Assam sees him. Assam has lost his wife, Zara, to a bomb. Assam brings Sayid back to his apartment. Sayid finds a listening device in the smoke detector and destroys it. This action earns the trust of the cell. Their leader - Haddad(?) - says "Perhaps it's not happenstance that you and Assam met at the Mosque. Perhaps it's fate."

Claire with the baby, Charlie calls him "Turnip Head" and offers to watch him while she rests. She's reluctant but ultimately she relents.

Locke brings Boone's pack to Shannon and apologizes. She's not having it and in a 'Kill Claudio' moment goes to Sayid, "John Locke killed my brother. Will you do something about that?"

Kate gives Jack sleeping pills in his juice.

Sayid comes upon Locke washing the blood out of his shirt. Sayid asks him about his kidney surgery scar. Locke: War wound. Sayid: Looks more like a surgical scar to me. Locke: Like I said - war wound. Sayid asks Locke to show him to the plane - maybe he can salvage the radio parts. Sayid keeps asking Locke questions as they hike. Locke: Back in Iraq, you were an interrogator. Sayid: Is that a question? Locke: Yes. Sayid: Back in Iraq I was. Locke: You haven't lost your touch. . . . Sayid: I know when I'm being lied to, there's a plane. As he points to the plane, Locke: Like I said, you haven't lost your touch.

Flashback: Sayid and Assam kicking a soccer ball. A target has been selected. There will be a martyr - Assam. Assam doesn't think he can do it.
    Sayid goes back to the CIA agent, Assam will come out with some pushing. He doesn't know where the explosives are, Sayid needs to talk him into doing it so they can get the explosives. Sayid won't do it until they threaten to arrest Nadia.

Charlie trying to calm Turnip Head. Hurley tries to help. He sings 'I Feel Good'. The crying continues.

Locke/Sayid at the plane. Sayid: Why did you lie? Locke: I made a mistake. Locke confesses to hitting Sayid during the triangulation. Whoa, did not see that comin'! I had forgotten about that actually. Sayid asks about the hatch. Locke lies.

Flashback: Assam doesn't want to take innocent lives. Good for you! Sayid lost someone too. Sayid talks him into it. Sayid is good. They will do it together.

Sayid/Shannon Sayid believes what happened was an accident. Shannon gets mad.

Walt expresses concerns about how thing will go on the raft to Michael. Charlie comes by with the crying Turnip Head. Sawyer complains about it but his voice calms the crying. Charlie runs after him.

Jack wakes up. The key to the gun case is missing from around his neck. He blames Locke. Sayid comes and says Shannon took it.

Flashback: Sayid - Assam - it's time. Sayid gives Assam a chance to run. Assam is justifiably upset and can't believe Sayid used him just to find a woman. Assam pulls out a gun. First he aims it at Sayid then he shoots himself.

Sayid, Kate, and Jack running through the jungle. Sayid finds Locke. Shannon is there too, pointing a gun at Locke. Sayid: If you do it, you can never take it back. Sayid tackles Shannon as she fires the gun. Locke falls to the ground. He is hit but it's a grazing wound over his eyebrow. Shannon won't be getting over Sayid's actions anytime soon.

Shot of Sawyer wearing the crazy glasses and reading a car magazine out loud to Turnip Head. It's very sweet. Claire comes up, she looks refreshed and happy.

Kate/Sayid Kate, looking at Shannon: She just needs time. Sayid: Time won't make a difference. Kate: You couldn't let her kill Locke, you had no choice. Sayid: There's always a choice.

Flashback: CIA agent gives Sayid a plane ticket to LA. Nadia lives in Irvine.
    What about Assam's body? Sayid makes them change his flight until the next day so he can see to a proper Muslim burial for Assam.

Sayid/Locke Locke thanks Sayid. Sayid: I did it because I sense you might be our best hope of surviving here. Sayid then tells Locke to take him to the hatch. Locke asks what hatct. Sayid: John, no more lies.

We now know what all of the regulars were doing in Australia. And Sayid, after 7 years of searching you were on your way to Nadia. In island time, you've only been there a month. What the heck are you doing with Shannon? It bugs me, mister, you might lose your status with me.

Born to Run

Gotta be Kate. BTW, has anybody noticed we keep getting 'Lost' banner ads?

Flashback: A blonde woman driving a car, conspicuously shot so we don't see her face. She changes her license plate from Nebraska to Ohio. She sneaks into a motel room and dyes her hair back to brown. Yep, it's Kate. She gets a letter from the motel clerk addressed to Joan Hart. Whatever is in the letter makes her cry.

Kate playing with the toy plane. Charlie playing the guitar. Charlie goes on about how the plane crash followed by his reappearance is going to jump start his rock career. They will all be famous. Kate doesn't like that idea.

Raft builders -Arzt, a high school science teacher, tells them they need to get the raft in the water before monsoon season comes. When? Yesterday. Plans for the raft get put into high gear aiming to launch in one more day. Kate wants to go with them. She points out to Michael that she knows something about sailing and Sawyer doesn't. Michael says no.

Flashback: Kate at a hospital with flowers. She has a delivery for Diane Janssen. There's a cop at the door. Kate hides her face behind the flowers and keeps walking. A doctor gets into his car, Kate is in the back seat, "Hello, Tom". He calls her Katie so I'm going to assume that she is using her real name on the island. Kate wants to see Diane before she dies of cancer. Kate: I felt I owed it to her to come see her. She needs Tom's help.

Sun wants to know if Jin is really going on the raft. Yes, he's going.

Sayid leading Jack through the jungle. They meet up with Locke who takes them to the hatch. Jack: What is this thing? Locke: Exactly, I guess it's time we talked about this.

Michael begins to have doubts about taking Sawyer. Sawyer gets mand and talks to Kate. He's figured out both that she wants to run and why she wanted the case, she was the marshall's prisoner. Oh yeah, not everybody knows that, only the viewers, Jack, and Hurley, I think. Sawyer's not having it. Kate: I want you spot on the raft? I'll get your spot.

Michael, working on the raft, gets sick after drinking some water. Walt finds Sun and Kate. Kate goes to find Jack.

Jack, Sayid, and Locke at the hatch. Locke (and Boone) have been digging out the hatch for three weeks. Jack wants to know why Locke didn't tell him about it. Locke: With all due respect, Jack, since when do I report to you? Jack: With all due respect, John, but you lied. Locke: How long did you have a caseful of guns before you thought the rest of us needed to know? You used your discretion, I used mine. Jack: OK, so how do we open it? Sayid is shocked, he brought Jack out there to talk Locke out of opening it. Jack thinks the best case scenerio is that there are supplies inside, worst case, we can use it for shelter. Sayid can think of a lot worse scenerios than that. So can I! Sayid points out that there is not handle, maybe this thing was never intended to be opened from the outside. The begin to head back and hear Kate calling for Jack.

Jack checks out Michael. Michael asks if Jack and Locke kissed and made up. Jack shakes his head no. Michael: Good.

Flashback: Tom arranges time on the MRI, at 5am. Kate at Tom's house. Tom is married with an almost 2 year old son, Connor. They have 3 hours to kill before the MRI. Kate: You think it's still there? Tom: What? Kate: You know what. Tom: It's the middle of the night. Kate: We might not get another chance. I'm thinking you're probably right about that Kate. They drive out to a field and start digging under a big tree.

Jack figures out there was something in the water. Hurley spills beans, lot of them, about Sawyer and Kate's disagreement and Kate being the fugitive. Hurley realizes Locke didn't know. Oops. How is he supposed to remember who knows what? Steve didn't even know about the polar bear! Hurley walks off. Locke: And you didn't think everybody else needed to know? Jack: Discretion, John. Locke smiles. Score one for Locke.

Jack confronts Kate about the water. Kate asks if he really believes she's capable of that. Jack: I don't know what you're capable of, Kate. We don't either, but I have a feeling we will know more by the end of this episode.

Flashback: The writers give enough revealing lines to Tom to determine that we are in Iowa. Tom says it's not fair of Kate to come back there, home. She strikes metal. It's a New Kids on the Block lunch box that they used as a time capsule in 1989. The toy plane is inside the lunch box. It was Tom's, he put it in the time capsule. Oh Tom, she loves you but she's going to kill you! They made a tape together on August 15, 1989. Kate Austin and Tom Brennan. They were childhood sweethearts. Even then Katie always wanted to run away. They kiss. Kate says "Sorry". They go to the hospital.

Walt tells Locke that he didn't poison Michael. Locke comforts him, of course not. Locke says that they are friends and touches Walt's arm. Walt: Don't open it. Don't open it, Mr. Locke. Don't open that thing. Spooky!

Michael kicks Sawyer off the raft so he exposes Kate in revenge. She had Joanna's passport in her pack so Sawyer had guessed right. Kate was planning to run and to pass herself off as Joanna until she could get away.

Flashback: Tom brings Diane down for her MRI. Kate talks to her. It's her mother. Diane opens her eyes, "Katherine?" Kate: I'm so sorry for everything that I have put you through. Diane starts to call for help. Kate leaves in a hurry. She's stopped by a security guard. She knocks him out. Tom finds her, "What happened?" Kate: I need your car keys. They go to his car and get in to escape as we hear sirens approaching. Mad dash through the parking garage but a sheriff or a sheriff's deputy is already at the exit. Let me interject to say here - it's supposed to be 5am - UNBELIEVEABLE MOMENT NOMINEE. There are way too many people around for this to be 5 o'clock in the freakin' morning. The security guard wouldn't have been that quick on the response to a patient calling for help. C'mon. He'd let a doctor or nurse handle it. The sheriff couldn't possibly have gotten there that fast. Not good, J.J. Plus it's way too bright outside for early morning. Anyway, Kate gives Tom a chance to get out of the car. There's no way she will turn herself in. Tom is staying with her. All right. She guns it through the gate and past the sheriff. Guns are fired. Kate speeds on until she crashes. She looks over, Tom is dead, bloody around the nose but it looks like he was shot in the chest. Kate is upset, but the sirens are coming. She gets out of the car, jumps over a fence, and runs through what looks like the LA riverbed, that concrete thing that's in tons of movies, but of course, we're in Iowa so who knows? She didn't exactly kill him. I wonder if I should take her off the "I've killed a man" list. I'll wait.

Sawyer: You want to tell us why you need to run so bad? Kate confesses that she is, indeed, the fugitive, but that she didn't poison Michael. Michael is not pleased. Everybody walks away from Kate.

Jack figures out it was Sun who poisoned Michael (I didn't). She was trying to poison Jin to keep him from leaving. She only used enough to make him sick. She wasn't trying to hurt him. Jack won't tell the others. Jack tells Sun that Jin is going, maybe she should say goodbye.

Sawyer and Kate have a make-up scene of sorts. Saying sorry doesn't suit him but he does explain that he believed her when she said she would take his spot. Kate wants to know why going on the raft means so much to him. Sawyer: Because there isn't anything on the island worth staying for. Kate: Be safe, Sawyer.

Walt confesses to Michael that he burned the first raft. He's sorry. Michael is stunned but once he processes this information he says "It's OK. We don't have to leave." Walt: Yes, we do. Oh my, it's not an excited yes, we do. What did Walt see when Locke touched his arm?

Sun to Kate: Jack knows. I didn't tell him it was your idea. Jack won't tell the others. Kate: Jack's good at keeping secrets. Thank goodness, huh, Kate. What are you capable of? You talked Sun into trying to poison her husband so you could get his space on the raft. Ingenius, but still, what are you capable of? The show ends with Sun and Kate discussing that they both believed, when they were little girls, that finding the men they loved would make them happy.

Survivor head count. I forgot the pilot the last time I did this.

50 initial survivors

Dead - Pilot, engine guy, marshall, Joanna, Scott, Boone
    Regulars - 14 + honorary regular Rose
    Named non-regulars - Steve, Arzt, Lance
    New - Turnip Head

Exodus Part I

Flashback: Walt in a Sydney hotel. He wakes Michael up at 5:23am by playing the television too loudly. He's watching Power Rangers. After an argument, he decides to take Vincent for a walk. This action leads to an argument in the hallway. Walt is obviously acting out. C'mon his mom just died.

Walt gets up early, on the island, to go pee. He hears something. It's Rousseau. She comes into camp. She sees Walt, he sees her. Walt wakes Michael up. Everybody else gets up too. Sayid: Danielle, what are you doing here? Rousseau: The Others are coming.

Rousseau tells her story to all the survivors. Her team of 6 scientists went aground on the rocks 16 years ago. (16!) She was 7 months pregnant at the time. She delivered the baby herself. I guess everybody else had already died. One week later she saw a pillar of black smoke 5K inland. That night they came and took her, her baby, Alex. Alex is a girl. (That lays to rest any speculation that Ethan might have been Alex.) The Others took her. The Others are coming. You have only 3 choices, run, hide, or die.

To get the raft completely ready and launched today they need everybody to help. They get the raft moving towards the water but the mast breaks. It might have been Sawyer's fault, maybe not. There is an argument then Walt notices the pillar of black smoke.

The group questions Rousseau. How many Others. She doesn't know. She is only one person, she can vanish into the jungle. Where will you hide 40 people? Jack/Locke exchange a look - cut to the hatch. I'm not so sure this is a good idea but we're opening that hatch, that much is obvious.

Sayid, Jack, Hurley, and Locke take Rousseau to the hatch. Rousseau: What is it? Sayid: We were hoping you could tell us. She's never seen anything like it. Locke asks about the explosives she used to blow up her shelter. There is dynamite at the Black Rock in the Dark Territory. Hurley: Well, there's three reasons to go right there. Hurley is a great character. This show wouldn't be the same without him. Rousseau: If we're going to make it back before sunset, we have to leave within the hour.

Flashback: Jack having a drink in the airport. Michelle Rodriguez comes up to talk to him. She was eavesdropping in line. She asks how his father died. Heart attack. She says, "No ring. Is that cause you're single or you just don't like wearing one?" Jack: Are you asking if I'm married? MR: Are you married. Jack: No, not anymore. Aw, what happened to Sarah? Divorce? Did she die? Will we find out in Season 2? I'm sure we will find out eventually. Jack asks her, Anna Lucia, why she's drinking tequila and tonic before noon. She hates flying and she's sitting in the back of the plane. Jack is in 23B, she's in 42F. Wanna trade? She gets a cell phone call that she has to take. She tells Jack that they will have their next drink on the plane. As she leaves she says, "The worst part is over."

OK, I'm actually taking a break at work to type this up and I don't have time to finish the whole episode, so, I'll stop here with a bit of a prediction. It's not much of one, it's more something I know I've figured out. There are people in the tail section who survived.

Here's how I know
    1) The radio message heard by Boone. There are other survivors.
    2) Rose - that character started out seeming to be important. She says she knows her husband isn't dead and that she bets they are thinking the same thing about us - then goes away only to turn up once more to comfort Charlie. I've learned my way around this show enough to know that if that's all she was there for, her husband sure as sh*t ain't dead. Plus, the moment that got my husband banned from the den, I mentioned Rose talking about her husband being in the bathroom and he goes, "Yeah, Bernard." At the time I thought we'd get to a flashback episode involving Rose. We didn't. But my husband knows his name, so, he must turn up later.
    3) Michelle Rodriguez is too famous an actress, I recognized her right away, for her to play such a small part.
    4) We meet her in the second to last episode of the season.
    5) They make a big deal about her sitting in the back of the plane.
    6) The other big give away is that I did watch one episode of season 2 way back when. I remember almost nothing about it except that Michelle Rodriguez was in that episode, so, as soon as she turns up in that airport bar, I know the deal.

Not a prediction, just the last piece of this particular puzzle.

The other survivors are not The Others. That I will predict, but again, a no brainer. Ethan was not on the passenger manifest.

Exodus Part I continued

Jack tells the survivors on the beach that they do have a plan. Do everything you can to help Michael get that raft in the water, then go to the caves. Jack's expedition will be back by sundown. Arzt come's up to Jack - he knows the whole plan. Arzt: If you want to keep a secret, don't tell the fat guy. Arzt knows chemistry. He knows how to handle dynamite too. Arzt: Unless you want to blow up, I'm coming with you. Oh Arzt, talk about a red shirt guy. You've had what? Three lines of dialog up to this point? We met you last episode and now you're volunteering to go on an expedition for explosives!?! Are you crazy?

Michael and Jin working franticly to fix things. Sawyer says to put him to work. Michael: No offense but we work faster this way. How can you not feel for Sawyer, really.

Flashback: Sawyer in the police station. He broke the officer's coffee mug, the one with his kids picture on it. But that's not the worst of his mistakes. The guy he headbutted in the bar fight is Warren Truss - Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Forestry. Sawyer's real name is James FORD! He's not worth the cost to the Australian government to incarcerate him so they are deporting him.

I'm going to interject here. I mentioned before how I have a friend that refers to me as the Queen of the Obscure Reference. I wrote a play once called 'Thanksgiving When You're Dating Matt Damon'. Sadly now that Matt Damon is married and the Red Sox have won the World Series (twice!) it's a bit dated. Anyway, I worked a very obscure baseball reference into that play just to amuse my friend. You wouldn't pick up on it unless you knew to look for it or you were a truly obesessed baseball fan. So, when I tell you that I am absolutely positive The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy influenced the writer's of this show, you can trust me. There is no way they give a character the name of Ford and have 42 be the magic number ball in the lottery winning bit if they haven't read those books. Remember, in that series, the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42. (But we don't know the question.)

Sawyer is in the jungle chopping wood - with his shirt off! I love those shirt off scenes. Mr. Holloway, again, nice work. Jack comes up to him and guesses that he was a lumberjack in the real world. Oh, tease me some more why don't you, lumberjacks, yum. Jack gives Sawyer a gun to take on the raft, just in case. Sawyer notes that they will be in the water before The Expedition gets back, so, "I guess this is goodbye then" Jack: Good luck, Sawyer. Jack turns to go and as is the habit with Sawyer, he turns serious a beat after the other guy turns to go then calls him back. They write Sawyer this way, it's happened at least three times that I can think of. Anyway, what follows is the absolute best scene character/acting/emotionally moving-wise of the first season. Sawyer tells Jack about his encounter with Jack's dad. Recapping it wouldn't do it justice, but I'm sure you 'Lost' folks remember it. I just fell a little bit in love with Sawyer too. He is so much more than a 'shirt off guy'. Sawyer ends with, "Small world, huh. Good luck, Jack."

Jack's dad is named Christian. So, for names on the is show we've got philosophers, Hitchhiker's Guide, and Duke basketball players. I just know one of those guys is a Duke fan. Abrams went to Sarah Lawrence College, so, I'm just saying he's got no basketball loyalties there, I'm guessing it's him.

It's going to take me awhile to get through the Exodus Parts I and II. I'm off to deal with kid stuff.

BD,

If you want to see how many of us were reacting to these same episodes you are now experiencing, you can go to the old DBR archive and read our comments. Just search for the word "Lost" and you will find threads and threads with our thoughts.

Be careful though, as you are only up to about late spring of 2005. If you read the comments we made in May or in the fall of 2005, you will spoil those episodes.

-Jason "I am dying to read your recap and thoughts on the season one finale!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Are you trying to tell me that everybody else made the Hitchhiker's connection too?

I found a couple of threads that talked about how 'Lost' was losing it halfway through the first season. I found them highly amusing.