Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Just to give you a heads-up there aren't any episodes that aren't worth your full effort. You'll find out next season or several seasons down the road what I mean.
    I disagree, I can think of two... 3.14, 3.19...

But to the overall point, small details do have a tendency to fall into place later.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Just so you know, I did pay attention to the details on The Moth, I just didn't feel like describing the episode in scene-by-scene detail. I will occasionally decide to hit the high points or summarize instead of doing a scene-by-scene recap.

Confidence Man

Forgot to mention that The Moth started with a close up of Charlie's eyes, plural, not just one. And Confidence Man loses that gimmick entirely. We see Kate coming upon clothes on the beach with a copy of Watership Down. Then the camera pans over to Sawyer coming out of the water in a gratuitous shot for the ladies. Is he naked? Oh who cares. I vote for at least one shot of Sawyer with his shirt off every third episode from here on out!! That's some nice stuff, Mr. Holloway. Watership Down is mentioned in the conversation between Kate and Sawyer which we are lead to believe takes place while Sawyer is naked.

Flashback: Sawyer is naked, in bed, with a blond woman. He's either in love with this woman or putting on a very good show. He has to leave the cozy love nest for a meeting. He picks up a suitcase on his way out and money spills out. Sawyer: You weren't exactly supposed to see that.

Flash forward: Sawyer finds Boone going through his stuff.

Next scene is Jack fixing up Sayid. I have to say, he recovered from a baseball bat to the head rather well. Boone is brought in beat up. He was going through Sawyer's stuff to find an inhaler because the Watership Down book was in his luggage as were the inhalers. He assumes Sawyer has them. Shannon has asthma. Well that's good because when the aliens come, the poison gas won't kill her. Anyway, Dude, has it ever, ever, ever occured to you to ask first and sneak stuff away from people later? What are you, a klepto? Seriously, can't someone take Boone aside and teach him just a little bit more about how to behave in social situations? No, it's not OK just because it's Sawyer.

Flashback: Sawyer is explaining the details of his meeting and the reason for the money. It all sounds pretty pie in the sky but even I am caught up in Sawyer's charm because at first I think maybe he's the one being conned. But then our lovely lady, Jessica, announces that she will get the other half of the investment money from her husband and bang I know the game. Now, admittedly, I know the title of the episode, but really, that hair-brained scheme he describes, who is going to buy that? But then again 'No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.' - P.T. Barnum.

Sawyer will give Kate the inhalers for a kiss. Kate doesn't buy it. What doesn't she buy. She doesn't believe that Sawyer is a disgusting as he plays. He's got a piece of paper. (We've seen him reading it before. I have it in my notes but it's actually a detail I didn't find important, so . . .) He has Kate read it. It's a letter to Mr. Sawyer from the child of parents who died after he swindled them. Dad shot Mom and then himself. The letter ends with 'You killed my parents.'

Sayid/Locke Locke thinks it could be Sawyer who attacked him (I don't!) and gives him a knife. Shannon has an asthma attack. Jack hits Sawyer still trying to get the inhalers. Sawyer does not hit back. But he sure says things designed to make people mad at him.

Flashback: Sawyer having lunch with Jess and her husband in full conman mode, with a suit on and his hair slicked back. I do not like Sawyer with his hair slicked back. It makes him look, well, slick. Jess and David, how could you trust a guy who looks like that? C'mon, it screams conman. Geez.

Shannon continues to have trouble breathing. Jack talks to her and calms her down. Sayid wants '10 minutes' with Sawyer.

Claire and Charlie getting closer scene. Charlie tries to get peanut butter from Hurley and basically insults Hurley in the process although not on purpose.

Sayid tortures Sawyer with sharpened reeds. He sticks them under Sawyer's fingernails. Yuck. Something I wasn't thinking about when I watched it but that I remember now, Sayid suspects Sawyer of being the one who hit him with the baseball bat so, I'm slightly less horrified by his actions, but only slightly. Sawyer says he'll talk but only to her. Kate, of course.

Flashback: Sawyer talks about closing the deal with his boss(?), somebody who seems to have financial interest in Sawyer's game.

Sawyer and Kate. He still wants his kiss. She kisses him. It's quite a kiss. Sawyer says he doesn't have the medicine - never did. I knew it! Sawyer would not withhold medicine from Shannon like that. He just wouldn't. He's an expert at making people dislike him but he'll give Kate what she asks for and we haven't seen him withhold anything that was truly necessary, we haven't. The book washed up on shore and he found it.

Sayid goes after Sawyer and the knife comes into play. Sawyer is stabbed, accidentally, and it's hit an artery. Sayid gets Jack's medical bag.

Shannon is dependent on Boone. She begs him not to leave her side.

Sun thinks she can help find an herbal remedy for Shannon. Jin finds Sun and Michael looking for herbs. Jin-Sun exchange. Angrily eyes Michael. Michael: Don't, just don't. Good for you, Michael. I'd back down from that too.

Flashback: Jessica and David have a son, about 9 years old. Sawyer sees him and calls off the deal, just walks out of the house, leaving the money.

Kate figures out Sawyer wrote the letter. He took on the name of the man who destroyed his parents' lives and his.

Sun finds eucalyptus for Shannon. Jack hits his head and says D'oh.

Claire and Charlie have 'peanut butter'. At least the jar is real.

Sayid leaves to walk around the island. He is ashamed of his actions. He did something he swore he would never do again. He goes off alone to atone and to make a circle of the island which he feels is necessary. Not a bad idea, really.

Ending music montage. Sawyer is about to burn the letter but I can't tell if he actually does do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I disagree, I can think of two... 3.14, 3.19...

But to the overall point, small details do have a tendency to fall into place later.
    I thought about my post on the way to work earlier today and figured someone would mention 3.14, and sure enough you have. I would venture to guess that you didn't like the cast members this episode focused on, so therefore you are already biased against this episode. I think TPTB did a really great job cleaning up the mess they made and this episode is a solid stand alone piece. Despite my comments on this being a stand alone episode, there were several important tie in with past events. I won't mention them here as I don't want to hijack BD's thread.

As for your views on 3.19, well I'm sorry but this was a major, major episode in my view. Two of the main cast members resolved some very important personal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I thought about my post on the way to work earlier today and figured someone would mention 3.14, and sure enough you have. I would venture to guess that you didn't like the cast members this episode focused on, so therefore you are already biased against this episode. I think TPTB did a really great job cleaning up the mess they made and this episode is a solid stand alone piece. Despite my comments on this being a stand alone episode, there were several important tie in with past events. I won't mention them here as I don't want to hijack BD's thread.
    I agree that 3.14 was a fun episode, though it matters little in the ongoing story of the show. Did you guys know that Damon and Carlton originally planned to have a full episode where every flashback would be a scene from the canceled TV show Expose? Instead, they decided to handle the entire storyline in one episode to clean things up quickly.

--Jason "hope what I wrote here is not a spoiler-- I don't think it is" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Solitary

I'm guessing Sayid but it could be Kate. It's Sayid. He's looking his pictures of the woman. Something is written in Arabic on the back of one photo. He sees something in the sand, it's either a thick wire or a rope. He pulls it up, one end goes into the water, then other end leads into the jungle. He follows the wire into the jungle.

Jack/Sawyer - Sawyer is being a wanker about Jack changing his bandages. Jack: I'm here because nobody else wants anything to do with you. Sawyer's face registers the rejection for a moment, then he smiles that smile and says "She does." Sawyer, buddy, c'mon, you've already been stabbed in the arm, cutting an artery. Do you really want people to hate you that much? But hey, when you've got a skill, maybe you should use it. He's a genius at being a wanker. I've known people sort of like Sawyer, ones that can zero in on people's weaknesses and use them to gain an advantage. I don't like those sorts of people. The thing about Sawyer is he uses the skill to put himself at a disadvantage. It's intriguing.

Kate is worried about Sayid and clearly holds Jack responsible for the torturing incident. Does the soap opera with these two continue? Don't answer that, just wondering to myself.

Sayid following the wire/rope. He finds a tripwire and steps over it. The trap springs anyway. He is pulled up by one leg. The contraption swings him over into some vines where one sharp bit gets stuck in his leg. He pulls it out then opening credits.

It's now night. Sayid still hanging upside down. It sounds like he is praying in Arabic. He hears something. Hello? We see a knife and it cuts him down. Somebody walks over to Sayid still carrying the knife. We don't see a face and Sayid passes out.

Jack/Hurley - Jack is treating an unnamed survivor with hives. Jack: We're surviving, I'm keeping us alive. Thanks, Jack, you know we couldn't do it without you. Hurley says they all need something to do.

Sayid comes to, there's a bright light in his face. We hear 'Where is Alex?' repeated over and over again in 5 languages, English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian. Sayid asks 'Who is Alex?' and gets zapped. We hear a woman, not a recording asking 'Where is Alex?' It is not a voice I recognize. Sayid says he doesn't know what she is talking about. She zaps him again.

Flashback: Sayid 'questioning' a suspect. There is no torture but he does punch the guy in the face. He has an exchange with a superior officer (and friend). He is being reassigned to the intelligence division. Oh goody, it's just what Sayid wanted. The woman from the photos walks by, handcuffed, with guards. She looks at Sayid. He looks back.

'Ethan' has been out hunting with Locke at night. He has a lot of hunting experience it seems and night is the best time to find rodents or rabbit, something that isn't boar. They found some more luggage which they bring to Hurley. Walt wants to help with the hunt. Michael says no. Hurley goes through the suitcases and finds something good. His eyes light up - "Whoa, Dude."

We see jumper cables. Sayid being tortured. He doesn't know who Alex is. He explains that he was trying to find the source of the transmission. The woman starts speaking in French and I didn't quite catch all of what she said and my son was watching with me and he wouldn't let me go back for a third time so. Anyway, she switches to English, "Has it really been 16 years? You just happened to hear my distress call? I know what you are!" Then she punches Sayid in the face and knocks him out. And we know who recorded the distress call. The French was kind of a give away but the English confirmed it.

Sixteen years in solitary and bat s**t crazy, I was right about that! (Not that great an insight, I admit, but I'm taking credit whenever I can.)

We see the woman going through Sayid's stuff. He wakes up and sees a word written on a jacket. "Rousseau" Woman: How do you know my name? Sayid: I read it off your jacket. Rousseau? Another philosopher, hmmm. They discuss the broadcasts. The batteries that Sayid sees are not enough to power the transmission for 16 years. "The broadcast comes from somewhere else but they control it now. (Who?) You and the others like you." Well, now. Rousseau is still suspicious but then she calls him Sayid. It's his turn to question. Rousseau: My name is on a jacket - your name is on an envelope you carry. Who is she? Sayid: Nadia. Her name is Nadia.

Flashback: Sayid is sent in to question a known associate of Kurdish and Shiya insurgents. He looks at the dossier, inside are the pictures from Sayid's envelope. He calls her by her full name Noor something. "Nobody calls me Noor. Sayid, you of all people should know that." It's Nadia, someone Sayid knew as a child. She used to push him in the mud because he ignored her. She didn't need his attention, he says. Sayid still begins to question her and says she must answer or he will hurt her. Nadia has been tortured before, acid burns, they drilled her hands and flayed the skin off her feet. Wow. "Go on Sayid, do you work, I'm not going to tell you anything." Sayid "Then I'm going to hurt you." Nadia: "I know."

Rousseau finds the scar from a bullet wound on Sayids leg. Sayid: I was a soldier. Rousseau: Are you still? Sayid: It was a long time ago. Rousseau: Tell me more about her, the woman, Nadia. Sayid: Alex, who is he?
    I keep quoting them directly because these conversations strike me as very important.

Michael/Walt - Walt is bored. About time! My kids would have started whining about Xbox as soon as the dust had settled. Hurley has an idea he is excited about. He borrows a stick from Michael and exits with a giggle.

Rousseau doesn't believe that Sayid heard the transmissions. Why did he leave these people. Sayid tells Rousseau he left because he did something he is ashamed of. Nadia wasn't on the plane. She's dead. Because of me.
    Nadia is dead? This makes me sad. (But I knew she wasn't on the plane, that had been made fairly obvious.) Rousseau: I'm so sorry. She strokes his face then says that she wants to show him something.

Michael has sketched a water system, aqueduct of sorts, for using the water efficiently. He's an artist! Hurley comes in and brings them to his two hole golf course. Hurley, our everyday wise man.

Rousseau shows Sayid a long broken music box. It was a comfort to her in her first years on the island. It was a gift from her love. Alex? No, Robert. Sayid offers to fix the music box but he would need his hands free. Rousseau becomes agitated and injects him with something.

Jack and Michael play golf. Jack uses a 7 iron. Hives guy finds them and asks if he can play.

Sayid wakes up. Rousseau gave him a sedative so she could safely move him. His hands are free. Sayid asks what is her first name. It's Danielle Rousseau. Sayid: How did you come to be on this island. Danielle was on a science team. At some point Sayid remarks, "All these guns for a science team?" They were 3 days out of Tahiti when instruments malfunctioned. Robert was on the team. Ship slammed into the rocks. They dug out the shelter and made camp. Sayid: You said 'It killed them all.' Rousseau: We were coming back from the Black Rock. It was them. They were the carriers. Sayid: Who were the carriers? Danielle: The Others. Sayid: Who are The Others? What is the Black Rock? Danielle: I hear them out there in the jungle. They whisper. We see disappointment flash over Sayid's face. Danielle: You think I'm insane. Of course he does, you are insane. You still tell a compelling story. Sayid: I think you've been alone too long. It's official, I love Sayid. Sure, Jack can save me and yes, give me Sawyer with his shirt off but the one I love is Sayid.

Flashback: Sayid brings Nadia food. He is sent to question her everyday. He does it alone because I don't think very much pressure is being used here. Sayid: This isn't a game, Nadia (Games again.) Nadia: Yet you keep playing, Sayid. You keep pretending to be something you're not.

Beachcombers are told about the golf course. Shannon and Boone head off to play. Sawyer makes a crack about doctors playing golf. Sawyer calls Kate 'Freckles', not for the first time but I haven't mentioned it before. Kate: From one outcast to another, I'd think about making more of an effort.

Sayid fixes the music box - "Some things can be fixed". Danielle is touched by his kindness. Of course, we see Sayid palm a tool of some sort, but still. Danielle asks what the writing on the back of the picture says. Sayid asks Danielle to let him go. Go where? It's not safe, he has to stay there. They hear a noise. Danielle goes to investigate, taking a gun. Danielle: If we're lucky, it's a bear. Sayid: What about the monster? Danielle: There are no monsters. And she leaves. Camera focuses on a gun she left behind.

Flashback: Higher officer friend tells Sayid to execute Nadia. He brings her a hood and tells her to put it on.

Flash forward: Sayid frees himself using the tool. Grabs a gun and leaves Danielle's shelter. He left the pictures of Nadia behind. Sayid finds Danielle in the woods. Stand off with guns pointed.

Flashback: Sayid leads a hooded Nadia down a hall. He tells her guards that he will take it from there. He has arranged for Nadia to escape. Nadia want Sayid to come too. She writes something on the back of her picture. The officer friend finds them. He makes to draw his gun. Sayid shoots and kills him. He tells Nadia he will make up a story about her grabbing the gun and escaping. What about Sayid? He shoots himself in the leg, gives Nadia the gun and tells her to go.

Stand off, Sayid pulls the trigger, click. Danielle says that Robert didn't notice the firing mechanism had been removed either. She shot Robert. He was sick. It took them one after the other. They were already lost. Sayid says that he is not sick. Danielle tells Sayid that she can't let him go, not after being alone for so long. Someone to talk to, someone to touch. I can relate Danielle. I wouldn't let Sayid go either. Sayid then tells Danielle what it said on the back of the picture "You'll find me in the next life if not in this one." Aaand my heart breaks just a little bit. Danielle's too. She lets Sayid go. Danielle's parting words to Sayid "Your people, watch them, watch them closely!" Sayid asks "Who is Alex?" Danielle "Alex was my child." Oh wow.

And see? I said it after the first episode. There is always a kid.

Golf game and gambling. Sawyer shows up and bets against Jack. Kate smiles at him and takes the bet.

Knife into tree. Locke then Walt. Does your father know you're here? Can you teach me how to do that? (Knife throwing that is.)

Sayid running through a darkened jungle. Is it night or a storm approaching. Where hear whistling winds, very spooky, and then whispering. Yes, she's insane, but that doesn't mean she isn't right! (Sayid looks terrified in the final shot.)
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 06-02-2009 at 10:46 AM.

That was a hell of an episode, in a good way.

OK, don't think it's really all that important but I'm keeping track of 'expendable crew members' to borrow from Star Trek.

We started out with 49 survivors if you count the guy who gets sucked into the engine and the Marshall.

49 total
    3 dead - engine dude, Marshall, Joanna (who we never saw)
    15 regulars - Hurley, Charlie, Locke, Sun, Jin, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sayid,
    Michael, Walt, Shannon, Boone, Claire, Rose
    4 'expendables' - Scott, Steve, Ethan, Hives guy
    (we've seen others but I'm not counting them until I have
    a name or an identifying nickname)

That's 22 of 49 accounted for. Did I miss any regulars?

1 dog - Vincent

Also, birthdays
    Walt - August 24
    Kate - a Gemini

Oh and Jason not a spoiler because I have no idea what you are talking about.

This is so much fun BD. Thanks for letting us watch you watch!

Very briefly.

John Locke, English philosopher of the 17th Century. First to pose the concept of the 'tabula rasa'. Important Enlightenment philosopher. Modern comcepts of the identity and self started with him. Influenced Rousseau.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 18th Century French philosopher. Influenced romanticism in literature. Wrote the first autobiography. His writings were preeminent examples of a movement known as the 'Age of Sensibility'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau, ...Wrote the first autobiography. ...
    Tangent:

Isn't Augustine's Confessions considered the first real autobiography?

I like Thomas Cahill's passage in How the Irish Saved Civilization:

"No one had ever talked this way before... Here for the first time is a man consistently observing himself not as Man, but as this singular man - Augustine. From this point on, true autobiography becomes possible, and so does its near relative, subjective and autobiographical fiction... Though the cry of Augustine - the Man Who Cried 'I' - will seldom be heard again in full force until the early modern period, he is the father not only of the autobiography but of the modern novel.

Sorry, I'll admit, I looked on Wikipedia. Thought that bit was cited. Maybe not. Nevertheless, he wrote one before they were common but maybe not the first.

Well, Cahill acknowledges it "will seldom be heard again in full force until the early modern period", so we can give Rousseau a Silver Medal

OK, quick rundown of character's that we know why they were in Australia.

Charlie - visiting his brother
    Claire - Australian (her question is was she going to LA)
    Jack - bringing his father back
    Sun/Jin - we sort of know, vacation? business? Sun was going to escape
    Locke - aborted walkabout

Kate - not really, we know that she was on the lam but we don't know why Australia, also, would a US Marshall really have jurisdiction there? Were there exradition papers? Many questions remain.

The island holds it mysteries but there is also The Bridge of San Luis Rey aspect to this story. Why these people at this particular time.

Raised by Another

Michael/Walt? No, it's Claire and we're back to the eyeball thing. She hears a baby's cry. She sits up startled - she's not pregnant. She gets up, walks away from camp, following the cry. Night in the jungle. She comes upon Locke sitting at a small table playing a card game. Locke says "You knew he was your responsibility but you gave him away, Claire, everyone pays the price now." He looks up and his right eye (the one with the scar) is like a black marble. Claire finds a crib in the woods. A mobile of toy Oceanic airplanes moves over an empty crib. She sticks her hands into the crib, they come out bloody. She wakes up screaming. Michael and Charlie come. Charlie calms her down. She was dreaming but her hands are bloody. Charlie: What happened?

I am reminded of my own very vivid third trimester dreams. Sleeping is an adventure when you're nearly nine months pregnant. It's hard to get comfortable. Once you do, it's hard to breath. You snore like a horse and if that doesn't keep you up, you have these vivid almost psychedelic dreams, often involving something bad happening to the baby. No wonder when you are awake you can't remember s**t.

Jack fixes Claire up. She balled her fists so tight her fingernails cut into her skin. Some nightmare. Jack agrees. He asks her some health related questions about her pregnancy and basically admonishes Claire's doctor for letting her fly when she was so far along. I flew to Switzerland when I was 7 months pregnant once. I couldn't get the tray table down.

Flashback: Claire taking a pregnancy test. It's positive, duh, although Thomas (the dad) doesn't seem to want her to be. But no, Thomas is not a wanker. Maybe they do want this, it could be like the best thing ever. Aw, Thomas is a sweetie. He tells Claire he loves her.

Jack/Kate Jack teases Kate about doing nothing. Kate is doing something! She's thinking. Sayid has been gone for a week.

Claire/Charlie Charlie tells Claire about his weird dream - riding a bus/teeth fall out/Mum's in the back eating biscuits and it all smells a bacon. A smelling dream, that is weird. Charlie tells Claire that she's got a friend. She smiles but definitely puts Charlie in the friend zone.

Flashback: Claire is moving in with Thomas. She goes to see a psychic first. Psychic holds her hands. He can tell she's pregnant. Psychic gets a worried look then refuses to finish the reading. He gives Claire back her money.

Claire dreaming(?) again. Somebody covers her mouth and pulls a knife. She screams anyway. That actress should do horror movies. She can scream with the best of them. She thinks its real. I'm not so sure. Others come to help and begin looking for the attacker.

'Scott' and 'Steve' help Hurley. They've helped before. I like 'Scott' and 'Steve'. Hurley says they don't really know anybody else on the island, not really. His name is Hugo Reyes. Hurley is a nickname. Why? He's not telling. Maybe we will find out someday anyway. He suggests the do a census of the survivors. A census with some details. I can give you 22 people! Well, 19 live ones.

Flashback: Claire and Thomas together. Claire is fixing up the apartment. Something is wrong. Thomas: Claire, I can't do this. This isn't working. You knew that. It has all become too much for Thomas. He can't handle the responsibility. Oh, he's a wanker after all. A really big one.

Hurley talks to Locke, apparently for the first time. Locke is from CA. He was in Australia looking for something. He didn't find it. It found him.

Jack asks Kate if anybody left the beach last night. He thinks it is a dream caused by stress. I do too. Charlie defends her. You obviously don't know what it's like to be pregnant.

We see Ethan for the second time. Hurley calls him Lance. No, Lance is the little skinny guy with glasses and red hair. Ethan is Ethan Rom. What kind of name is that? Ethan Rom, Ethan Frome? He's from Ontario. For some reason Hurly is suspicious of Ethan. Maybe it's all the nighttime hunting.

Jack comforts Claire and gives her a sedative. Claire: You don't believe me. She decides to go back to the beach. "It was safe at the beach."

Flashback: Claire finds the psychic, Richard Malkin, at home and wants another reading. It's months later but he remembers her. He agrees. He doesn't know how his power works. Psychic: When did he leave you? Claire: Last week. Psychic saw something blurry before. Blurry is bad. Psychic: Are you sure you want to go on? It is crucial that she raise this child herself. Thomas will play no part. This child must not be parented by anyone else. Danger surronds this child. He needs your protection. Claire says she's giving the baby up for adoption, to make sure he has a happy life. Psychic: There is no happy life for this child, not without you. He gives her the money back. He continues to call her on the phone. He has a plan to help her keep her baby.

Hurley doing the census. Boone suggests the passenger manifest. Where is it? Sawyer has it. Hurley admits that Claire got attacked. Shannon refuses to move to the 'rape caves'.

Hurley asks Sawyer for the manifest. He approaches it exactly the right was with Sawyer. Asks nicely, doesn't give him any bullI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Sawyer hands it over with a minimum of fuss. See!

Charlie walks with Claire back to the beach. She starts to have contractions. Charlie tries to help but kind of makes a mess of it until Claire insists that he get Jack.

Flashback: Claire's meeting with adoptive services. Claire meets with prospective parents. She will have no right to see or visit the child. She is about to the legal documents when the pen doesn't work. A second pen doesn't work. The prospective mother hands her a third pen. Claire can't do it. She runs out of the room and goes to see the psychic - "All right, what's your plan?"

Charlie running finds Ethan, sends him to get Jack. Ethan drops his load of firewood and runs. OK, now I'm suspicious of Ethan because we have only seen him once before, hunting with Locke. Why did he turn up again more than once in this episode?

Flashback: Psychic has found a couple in Los Angeles. The baby will be safe with them. He gives Claire $6000 with another $6000 promised when she lands in LA.

Claire admits to Charlie about the psychic.

Flashback: The psychic says that it has to be today, this flight Claire, Oceanic Flight 815.

We get a shot of Sayid running through the jungle. I must say, I'm relieved.

Claire has calmed down and the contractions have stopped. She and Charlie head back to the caves.

Sayid arrives and tells Jack/Kate that he found her, the French woman. Jack tells Kate to get water. Sayid: I had to come back. I had to come back. We are not alone. Locke overhears this, ominous look on his face.

Charlie and Claire heading back.

Hurley finds Jack. One of the survivors wasn't on the manifest. He wasn't on the plane. At that moment Ethan fins Charlie and Claire. Uh-oh. Things look bad. If Ethan isn't that odd man out, then that's one heckuva red herring.

BD, I'm having so much fun reading your reviews that I think I'm going to have to re-watch season one!

I noticed that the golf club thread "mis hit" monster got you too, but this time it was the "bulls hitting". This monster is almost as bad as, what did you call him, the Leaf Moving Monster!

I'm looking forward to seeing you either Friday night at Champs and/or on Saturday for your play!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Yeah, I'm not a real wanker for saying it either. Why wanker is OK and a**hole is not, well, let's put it this way, I feel like a real a**hole having to say wanker all the time. I'll try to remember to just say bull in the future.

All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues

One thing I forgot to mention about 'Raised by Another' - that is how you effectively incorporate back story to further the drama. A+ for writing in that episode.

OK, I'm turned off by this episode title and I'm flummoxed. No idea who we will focus on, Shannon/Boone?

Ethan wasn't on the plane, so, no red herring or any subtlety. It is the obvious choice. The dots are connected very quickly with Locke and Jack running off to find Claire and Charlie. Jack starts calling for Claire and Locke shushes him. Locke finds fresh tracks.

Jack wonders how Ethan could manage to drag two people away. Locke: The more important question is why. Locke, you rock! This whole show is just one big Why? Isn't it?

Flashback: Jack in surgery. Patient in trouble. Paddles used, then heart massage. Finally a voice says, "Call it. Call it, Jack. It's over, call it." Jacks turns to his dad and says, "You call it." Camera pans to the woman on the table's face.

Boone volunteers to join the search party. Locke turns Michaell down. Michael says maybe he'll form his own search party. Locke: Good idea, we're going north, I suggest you go south. Oh Locke, there is no bull with you, is there.

Flashback: OR - dead woman, Jack, and Dad. Jack came in and took over the surgery. The hospital called Dad! Yes, and a nurse left the OR to come get Jack because his Dad's hands were shaking. Jack: How many drinks did you have at lunch? Jack's a cowboy? Really? I guess I should have known he has daddy issues but I wouldn't call him a cowboy. Maybe I have a lot more to learn about Jack.

Locke (with Kate and Boone) finds Jack. It's a good thing he's been going in circles because it made him easy to find. Locke wants Jack to go back to camp. Locke: Be the doctor, let me be the hunter . . . Everything I know about hunting and tracking, Ethan knows more.

Michael has issues with Locke. The battle for Walt's respect continues. Michael heads south. Hurley to Walt: Back home I was known as something of a warrior. Walt rolls his eyes. I'm guessing video games. I'm also guessing we'll find out someday. When is Hurley's episode anyway, there's got to be one. Of the regulars, who haven't we done yet, cause we're on Jack #2. Boone/Shannon (I think of them together), Hurley, Rose, Michael/Walt. Oh did I mention that we're down one of the passengers since Ethan isn't 'of the 46'. But we did pick up 'Lance'. So, it's a wash.

Locke's Party. Jack, not so good a following. The find the 'L' from L-A-T-E. Charlie is leaving a trail. I cry 'Uncle', geez, it's worse than Harry Potter with the details. Everything comes up again, no wasted shots, well, except for Sawyer with his shirt off. It's not a waste, but I don't think it means anything for the story.

Trail splits. Kate knows something about covering one's tracks. Locke: Well, you're just fill of surpises. Indeed. So are you Locke, so are you. Locke and Boone take one trail, Jack and Kate take the other.

Walt/Sawyer in the surprise match up of the night. Never would have predited they would have an important scene. Walt tells Sawyer about Ethan. Sawyer speculates that Ethan might have lied about his name. Walt: It's stupid to lie about your name. Out of the mouths of babes. Sawyer is still skeptical. Walt: If you don't believe me, ask Sayid? Sawyer perks up, "Sayid's back?"

Locke/Boone Locke: Call me John. And Boone makes a Star Trek reference. Is he reading my mind? He feels like one of the red shirt guys, the one's I call expendable crew members. OK folks, here it is, I think it's my first big time prediction. I've made little guesses about small things but here's my first real prediction - Boone is toast. If this guy is still around in Season 5, I'll be extremely surprised. He's not a good actor, I can't figure why he's there, not in the Bridge of San Luis Rey way, but in the, what is he adding to the drama kind of way. I'm sorry Boone. (From now on, when I think it's a Bridge of San Luis Rey moment, I'm calling it a BSLR. Please try to keep up.

Anybody not know the story of BSLR? Ask and I'll give you a 3 sentence synopsis.

Jack/Kate. Jack asks Kate to tell him something, anything that's the truth. Kate - her dad was in the army ranger battalion, stationed in Washington State, she would hike with him and they would track stuff together. Kate: Anything you want to share, Jack? Touche. I believe her. At least here I do.

I'm going to go ahead and post this entry. I need to take a break but I will finish this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Anybody not know the story of BSLR? Ask and I'll give you a 3 sentence synopsis.
    I'm raising my hand here. Synopsis away please!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

BSLR, novel by Thornton Wilder. High school English class fare. Five people fall to their deaths when a rope bridge in Peru collapses. The novel takes the event as an act of God and asks why these 5 people. One little novella written about each one, bringing them to the fateful day.

Cowboys Part 2

Flashback: Jack and Dad in Dad's office with the incident report. Jack doesn't want to sign it. Dad says he knows his limits. Jack doesn't agree. Dad will lose his license if Jack brings up alcohol. Jack knows. Dad asks for one more chance and promises it won't happen again. Has it happened before? Jack signs the report. Dad: Thank you, Son. Thank you. Hmmm, this story line bugs me. Maybe I'll figure out why.

Sleeping Sayid and spooky music. A noise startles him awake. It's Sawyer. Sayid tells Sawyer the story of the French woman. She murdered her entire team. Does Sayid believe her story about The Others. Maybe, maybe not. On his way back, Sayid heard something in the jungle. There is justifiable tension between these two but they do both seem to be trying. Sayid does lose patience though. Sayid asks if Sawyer has something to say to him or if he's just going to keep asking questions he knows Sayid can't answer. Sawyer leaves saying "The plane hull is almost in the water. Kept your signal fire burning."

Walt and Hurley play backgammon. Walt's other dad - Brian, said that Walt was the luckiest person he ever knew. Hurley gets up to leave and Walt reminds him that Hurley owes him $20,000. Hurley: You'll get it. Walt is getting around this episode.

Boone/Locke Boone runs a business in the real world. In the Star Trek reference scene Boone asked Locke what he did in the real world. I left that out, oops. We've met Locke's wanker boss, Randy, what Locke was doing was, well, he was a Dwight, wasn't he? Regional collection supervisor for a box company. Paper, boxes, what's the difference? Was that an 'Office' reference do you think? I never did check imdb to see who wrote the screenplay for Office Space. I'll get around to it eventually. Unless somebody else wants to chime in. Anyway, Boone, his mother is "the Martha Stewart of weddings". I kind of thought Martha Sterwart was the Martha Sterwart of weddings but I get the idea. Boone runs a subsidiary company. Locke suggests Boone head back. It's going to start raining in one minute, give or take. Boone says no. The clouds open up. Boone: Did they teach you how to predict the weather at that box company? I say yes!

Kate/Jack in a downpour: They find the 'T'. Noises and a scream? Jack hears it. Kate apparently does not. Jack uses vines to help him climb up a now very muddy wet cliff. Kate follows. Jack falls as Kate nears the top. Ethan appears: If you do not stop following me, I will kill one of them. Hmmm, wonder which one, the pregnant woman or Charlie? I'm going to take a wild stab and say Charlie. A fight ensues. Ethan, just before delivering the knock out punch, "No more warnings". Jack, I'm disappointed in your fighting skills.

Flashback: Hospital. Husband of dead woman is talking to Jack's dad. She had been in a car crash. The husband is threatening to sue. All right, I work in a hospital. If this is after the fact, there is no way that conversation is taking place in the hallway of the hospital. If it's the scene of Jack's dad delivering the bad news, again, well, highly implausible set up. Guys, writers, you're letting me down this time. Some of this Jack/Dad exposition is just so contrived that you're losing me.

Kate finds Jack and shakes him awake. Jack: I'm not letting him do this, not again. Who are you talking to? What about? How does Ethan parallel Dad? Oh, the one Jack couldn't save? Now I really am worried about Charlie.

Flashback: Jack and Dad in a conference room. Dad reporting on the case to what looks like the hospital internal review board. We find out that the patient was pregnant. That does it, Jack revises his testemony and tells the truth about his father. Now I get it, pregnant woman. Jack, you really do have a god complex don't you?

Jack and Kate find Charlie hanging. Jack grabs his legs. Kate cuts him down. Charlie is not breathing. Jack gives Charlie CPR and mouth-to-mouth. Wow - Charlie really is dead. I don't believe it. Really? I did not see that coming. I figured Jack would get to them in time. Oh, Charlie coughs, whew. But now again I go really? He was down a long time. If this were real, I think there would be brain damage. But it's TV so Charlie is basically OK, with some bruises on his neck.

BTW, the make-up folks on this show deserve an Emmy. The wounds look real and seem to be taking just the right amount of time to heal. Good job!

Charlie, back at the caves, Michael shows back up. Walt is relieved to see him. Charlie hasn't spoken. Finally he says, "I didn't see anything. I didn't hear anything. I don't remember anything. Claire - that's all they wanted." They? Ethan had help? Probably so. All they wanted was Claire. I wonder if they drugged Charlie. Hope it doesn't set him back.

Shannon is worried about Boone. Kate: If there is anyone on this island your brother is safe with - it's Locke.

Boone/Locke. They drop a flashlight. It lands with a metallic thud. They uncover something metal. I'm guessing it's THE HATCH. Yes, I know there's a hatch. I knew very little starting out on this project but I did know there was a hatch.