Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    BSLR, novel by Thornton Wilder. High school English class fare. Five people fall to their deaths when a rope bridge in Peru collapses. The novel takes the event as an act of God and asks why these 5 people. One little novella written about each one, bringing them to the fateful day.
    Ok. That makes me really want to take my trip to Peru and go hiking to Machu Pichu.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Whatever the Case May Be

Kate climing a tree, moving through the jungle. She hears something and throws a rock. Nice throw, Papelbon. She hits Sawyer in the knee. Sawyer was protecting her. Didn't she know there were monsters out there? And men named Ethan? They find a pool with a waterfall. I can't think of a better place for a 'shirt off shot', can you? No! The show does not disappoint. Not only do we get Sawyer with his shirt off but we get Kate in the black bikini underwear too! They swim and laugh and play around just like two adorable otters until they see the bodies, still strapped in their seats, underwater. They dive down and search for what they can find. Sawyer brings up a wallet but Kate spies a silver case. Kate really wants that case. We can tell, but she's being coy about it.

The beach is eroding, quickly. Maybe this island is like El Dorado or the Room of Requirement. It goes away after you've been there or don't need it anymore. Jack and Sayid discuss the French woman. Sayid does not want to take Jack back there.

Shannon and Boone fight. I think I've typed that before. Sigh. Boone calls Shannon useless. Shannon makes a joke about Boone having a new boyfriend - Locke.

Kate staring at Sawyer with the case.

Flashback: Kate in New Mexico applying for a loan. She's a photographer. She's doing a coffee table book on old theaters. The bank gets robbed. Somehow I suspect that Kate is in on it. Aaaaand there's the glance at the masked robbers as she lies down on the floor. Yep. She's in on it.

Kate tries to take the case from Sawyer when he's sleeping. Oh c'mon people, Sawyer's not going to sleep through something like that! Quit trying. Sawyer wakes up. Kate can fight, it's that army officer dad. Sawyer makes it as much about sex as he possibly can. He won't give her the case though. I wouldn't either. Stick to your guns Sawyer! Curiouser and curiouser.

Shannon sunbathing. Sayid asks her to help him translate some papers/maps he took from Rousseau. Shannon is reluctant.

Sawyer trying to pick the lock on the case - a Halliburton. Hurley sees him and laughs. Michael asks what's so funny. Hurley: He's trying to pick the lock on a Halliburton. Michael laughs too. Then Michael tells Sawyer to hit it with something, like the axe.

The axe is with Boone and Locke. Boone took the axe 'without being seen' at Locke's suggestion. I know Boone is always trying to take things without being seen. When did he get good at it?

Rose, there she is, hadn't seen her in awhile, admonishes Charlie to quit sitting off alone and come help. He's not the only one with something to feel sad about.

Sawyer/Kate fight over the case. Again. Sawyer: What's burnin' me up is why it means so much to you. Exactly.

Flashback: Man in baseball cap (that's what the credits said) rushes a robber and manages to kick his gun back over to Kate on the floor. Shoot him. Kate: I can't, I don't know how to use a gun. Another robber pulls her into an office and closes the door, pulls his mask off, and they kiss. Oh please. Kissing in the back room? Stupid. Kate is not stupid. Those of us watching who aren't stupid, we already knew she was in on it. Unnecessary but OK, the guy is fairly studly.

Shannon trying to translate, "I can't!" Sayid asks her why she learned French. Shannon: I knew this guy. Of course you did sweetie. Now that is a believeable moment.

Jack with Sun - she has a headache. She communicates this to Jack using her hands.

Kate: We have a problem. Jack: We or you. According to Kate the case contains money and guns. Sawyer has the case. The key is in the dead marshall's back pocket. Jack knows where he is buried. Jack wants to know what else is in the case. Me too! He doesn't believe Kate that it's just guns and money. Me too! He will help but only if they open it together.

Rose/Charlie - Rose: It's not your fault what happened to Claire.

Flashback: Bank. Studly robber dude reminds Kate that she told him not to hold back. Kate agrees. Then he hits her and drags her out of the office. Kate 'the victim' convinces the manager to give up the key to the vault.

Jack and Kate dig up the marshall. Kate tries to palm the key but Jack spots it.

Shannon translating. It's not going well. Shannon: Haven't you heard, I'm completely useless.

Jack wants the case from Sawyer. He'll cut off his antibiotics if Sawyer doesn't give it to him. Sawyer: However she talked you into this, she lied. Takes one to know one, doesn't it Sawyer.

Flashback: Things start to go bad when Kate grabs a gun and reminds them that she said noone gets hurt. Studly robber tells the bank manager that she set it all up. Kate was the mastermind. Kate shoots Studly Robber in the leg. He says he'll kill her if he ever gets his hands on her. Kate just wants to get into safety deposit box 815. She has one key, the manager has the other. What's the problem? She's not on the signature card. We see her taking an envelope out of the safety deposit box.

That same envelope is in the case. Inside is a toy airplane. A toy airplane that looks a lot like the one's in the mobile over the empty crib in Claire's dream. Kate: It belonged to the man I loved, to the man I killed. I'm thinking we're not talking about Studly Robber here.

Charlie/Rose Rose: There's a fine line between denial and faith. It's much better on my side. Rose knows Bernard is still alive. She tells Charlie that she's not the one who can help him. Then she prays.

Shannon comes over to Sayid. She finally remembers why the French words were familiar. They are song lyrics from a song in a children's movie. Shannon sings it to Sayid. She has a lovely voice.

Kate holds the toy airplane and the credits roll.

Hearts and Minds

Bostondevil was away this weekend. Quick trip to NC for theater and friends and family. But now I'm 4 episodes behind in recaps! Luckily, I take notes.

It's Boone's eye we focus on. OK, about time. He's watching Shannon read. Sayid brings her a present - shoes! See, that Sayid, does he know how to woo a girl or what? Boone does not like this.

Hurley questions Boone and Locke's hunting skills. No kidding, at least put some 'cover' in your cover story.

Interjection - my husband has been mostly banned from watching with me but occasionally I come upon an episode that he missed the first time around. 'Hearts and Minds' is one of those episodes. I had to keep shushing him until he came up with a quote that I am allowing him to repeat. According to him I'm 'still in the Shire' as far as the 'Lost' mythology goes. Fair enough, call me Pippin.

Flashback: Boone playing tennis with some blonde. Phone call from Shannon. She's yelling at some guy to get away from her. It sounds a bit violent on the other end of the phone. She wants Boone to come get her. Where is she? Sydney.

Boone tells Sayid to stay away from his sister. It's a "friendly suggestion" but a not so friendly exchange. And just as an aside, Sayid, c'mon Shannon? Really? You're better than that and please don't let this turn into 'Friends' where everybody has to sleep with everybody else. Although I guess we do have that stranded on a desert island magic working here, but, c'mon, Shannon? Why don't you just get in Kate's line?

Locke and Boone head into the jungle. They are uncovering 'The Hatch'.

Hurley/Jack - Hurley is having digestive problems. He's eating too much fruit and not enough protein.

Kate in the forest, Jack sees her. Kate is collecting passionfruit seeds. Kate leads Jack to Sun's garden. Kate voices her own suspicions about what 'The Hunters' are up to.

Locke/Boone Boone: What are we doing? Locke tells the Michelangelo story. He stares at the block of marble that later became The David for 6 months before beginning to carve it. When asked what he was doing, he replied 'I'm working'. Locke sitting and staring at The Hatch. He's working too. There is no discernable way to open the hatch. They are going to have to figure out a way.

Flashback: Boone finds Shannon in Australia living with Brian. She gives him the brush off but manages to let him see a bruise on her forehead. Boone plays it cool and leaves.

Jin/Hurley comic relief scene.

Boone/Locke. Boone wants to tell the others. Locke: They are not ready. Boone wants to tell Shannon. Locke details his objections to this plan then asks Boone again if he really wants to tell Shannon. He still does. Locke: So be it. Then he knocks Boone out. Boone awakens to find himself all tied up. Locke: I'm doing this because you need to let go of a few things. Because it's what's best for you. You'll thank me later. Locke then says that camp is 4 miles due west and throws a knife at his feet. When Boone has enough motivation to get the knife, he will find a way.

Flashback: Boone at an Australian police station trying to get the police to intervene. We find out Boone and Shannon are step siblings. His mother married her father when she was 8 and he was 10. The police can't do anything unless Shannon files a complaint. Boone name drops his mother to no avail. The police officer says they are the police not the dating police. Sawyer is brought in handcuffed during this exchange. Sawyer: Hey Croc Hunter, how come nobody wants to hear my side of the story? Boone then goes to Brian and pays him $50,000 to break up with Shannon. It's the third time Boone has paid a guy off.

Kate/Sun gardening. Kate chatting. She says something that makes Sun smile. Kate figures out that Sun speaks English. Sun: Please don't tell anyone.

Hurley/Jin fishing. Hurley is bad at fishing. He steps on a sea urchin. Jin tries to help. Hurley is telling him to pee on his foot.

Sayid is making a compass. Locke startles him. Sayid didn't hear himm approach. This worries Sayid a bit. Sayid is orienteering. Locke gives him a real compass because he doesn't need it anymore. Locke was a boy scout and not the most popular kid.

Boone hears Shannon screaming. It's the right motivation. The LMM seems to be coming too. Boone gets the knife, frees himself, finds Shannon tied to a tree and cuts her loose. They hide in, I'm going to start calling these little nooks bamboo huts, OK? They hide in a bamboo hut as the LMM comes close.

Sayid shows the compass to Jack. Either Locke's compass is defective or the island is.

Boone/Shannon - the noises have passed, they emerge from the hut. Shannon: What did you do to piss Locke off?

Flashback: Shannon and Brian have set Boone up. It was an elaborate ruse to get the $50,000. Shannon felt she was owed this money. In her mind, it was her dead father's money and she deserves some of it. I get the feeling it's Boone's mother who actually has the money.

Locke lies to Jack about boar hunting.

Kate/Sun Kate can keep a secret. I'll bet! Sun wants it kept a secret because she doesn't want Jin to know. Kate seems surprised, why? She doesn't want him to know because she loves him. Sun: Haven't you ever lied to someone you love? Kate? She does that daily.

Hurley/Jin Hurley finally eats some sushi, a sea urchin, and throws up.

Charlie/Jack carrying firewood. How's he doing? Charlie: What, the heroin withdrawal or the Claire abduction? Jack points to Locke and asks Charlie what he things, whether he could trust Locke. Charlie: Trust him? If there is one person on this island I would put my absolute faith in to save us all, it would be John Locke.

Michael has found his own suitcase. Jin gives Hurley a cleaned fish.

Shannon/Boone Boone tells Shannon about The Hatch. Suddenly the LMM pulls up a tree nearby. They run. The LMM gets Shannon, kind of a cool effect, we see her feet rise off the ground then the long shot shows her head flip downward, scary but cool.

Flashback: Boone opens his hotel room door. It's Shannon. She got played too, Brian took the money. Shannon: You've always been in love with me. I've always known it. Shannon moves in on Boone, at first he resists but they kiss and fall on the bed. OK, we've moved past 'Friends' because, even though I didn't watch the show much, I'm positive they never got around to a Ross/Monica relationship. The aftermath, Shannon sitting in a chair. She wants them to go back to how they were before. Boone: Like it's up to you. What? When did he grow a pair?

Boone finds a bloody Shannon by a stream. He holds her but she is dead. Whoa. Boone makes it back to camp and attacks Locke. Locke: If she's dead, how come there is no blood on you? There isn't. Whoa. Locke then points to Shannon who is talking with Sayid. She is alive and in camp and not bloody at all. Boone tells his story. Locke: That's what the island made you see?

What did the island make you see Locke? I have a feeling it will be a long time before we find out.

Locke: How did you feel when she died? Boone: Relieved. Locke: Time to let go.

Well, maybe Boone is a redeemable character after all, maybe.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 06-08-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Boone hears Shannon screaming. It's the right motivation. The LMM seems to be coming too. Boone gets the knife, frees himself, finds Shannon tied to a tree and cuts her loose. They hide in, I'm going to start calling these little nooks bamboo huts, OK? They hide in a bamboo hut as the LMM comes close.

Boone/Shannon - the noises have passed, they emerge from the hut. Shannon: What did you do to piss Locke off?

Shannon/Boone Boone tells Shannon about The Hatch. Suddenly the LMM pulls up a tree nearby. They run. The LMM gets Shannon, kind of a cool effect, we see her feet rise off the ground then the long shot shows her head flip downward, scary but cool.

Boone finds a bloody Shannon by a stream. He holds her but she is dead. Whoa. Boone makes it back to camp and attacks Locke. Locke: If she's dead, how come there is no blood on you? There isn't. Whoa. Locke then points to Shannon who is talking with Sayid. She is alive and in camp and not bloody at all. Boone tells his story. Locke: That's what the island made you see?

What did the island make you see Locke? I have a feeling it will be a long time before we find out.
    As I've been watching "Lost" - am a couple of episodes into Season 2 now - I have to say that the above sequence has been the most confusing to me of all the episodes I've seen so far. I'm not necessarily asking for an explanation (don't want to spoil anything!), but I have no idea what is supposed to have happened here. My guess is that Boone was dreaming this whole sequence involving Shannon being killed. Do things happen later in the series that explain why Boone thought Shannon had been killed??

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    As I've been watching "Lost" - am a couple of episodes into Season 2 now - I have to say that the above sequence has been the most confusing to me of all the episodes I've seen so far. I'm not necessarily asking for an explanation (don't want to spoil anything!), but I have no idea what is supposed to have happened here. My guess is that Boone was dreaming this whole sequence involving Shannon being killed. Do things happen later in the series that explain why Boone thought Shannon had been killed??
    Here's my 2 cents. Locke says "That's what the island made you see?" It's the LMM. Remember the LMM heads right at Locke. We get a shot of his face as the LMM descends upon him. At that time I speculated that either there are 2 LMMs, Locke didn't meet up with it after all, or the LMM isn't always fatal. I now firmly believe that Locke did meet up with the LMM. Somewhere Locke says something like "I have looked into the eye of the island and what I have seen is beautiful." Locke knows a whole heckuva lot more than we do. He probably knew an encounter with the LMM wouldn't kill Boone. He made him have the encounter because Boone needed it. The island/LMM whatever made Boone see Shannon dead. He knows he was relieved by the sight. Time to let go.

Now, is it possible that the LMM is the island's soul? Is Locke?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Sadly, the answer is no... at least I do not recall any explanation for this. I forget, didn't Locke give Boone some halucinagenic plant or something?

(checks Lostpedia)

Yup, here is a photo of Locke preparing some strange potion that he gives to Boone.

--Jason "I figure this answer is spoiler-free" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Special

Michael's eye. Michael calls for Walt. Charlie looking for Claire's luggage. Hurley has arranged a new golf tournament for the last of the deodorant sticks. Michael still looking for Walt, getting more worried.

Flashback: Michael picking out a crib with Walt's mother - can't afford the fancy one. He wants the best for his son. He is taking a construction job, giving up his art (painting) until she finishes law school. Walt is named for Michael's father. Michael and Walt's mom aren't married.

Walt, Locke, and Boone throwing knives. Locke is teaching Walt to "See it before you do it." Walt is getting good. Michael finds them and is upset. Michael threatens Locke. Boone tackles Michael. Locke tells Michael that Walt wants to spend time with him because Locke treats Walt like an adult. Locke: Walt is different. He should realize his potential. We're not back home. Michael warns Locke off.

Flashback: Baby Walt - too cute. I am a slave to baby cuteness. If you weigh less than 25 pounds, I am at your service. Michael tells Walt's mother that she is not taking him to Amsterdam. It's a huge opportunity for her but her career is taking her away. They should spend some time apart. She already took the job. Michael vows to fight it, but hey, she's the mother and she's the one who is employed, who are the courts going to side with here. Poor Michael and how did he ever get involved with that rhymes with witch in the first place? Huh? I ask you, does this relationship make sense, at all?

Sun/Michael She's worried about him. He's worried about Walt, how to relate to him. Michael: He can't grow up here!

Sayid figured out something about the maps. They are not maps of the location of the island but of a location on the island (and a French fish song).

Michael suggests building a raft to Shannon, Sayid, and Jack. They are not exactly encouraging.

Walt is reading the Spanish comic book again. I don't speak Spanish but my husband with his one year of Spanish and my son with some elementary school Spanish think the cover says 'Friend Move Fast'. The Flash? We see some pictures, an alien, some other stuff. Michael asks him about it. Walt likes the pictures. This makes Michael happy - "You like art." Michael is keeping Walt closer than before.

Flashback: Michael on the phone to Walt's mom. She won't put Walt on the phone. See - rhymes with witch, he's old enough to babble something. What is your problem, woman? She's seeing somebody - Brian, her boss. Michael hangs up, he's upset and crosses the street without looking closely enough. He is hit by a car. I personally think the car could have stopped but then where would our story be?

Charlie tells Kate that Claire's diary is missing from her suitcase.

Michael and Walt are working together. Walt asks if he's being punished. No. It feels like punishment. Second nominee for most believeable moment.

Sawyer has the diary. Of course he does. Sawyer is in full blown wanker mode about it too. Charlie hits him and gets the diary. Sawyer hits him back. Charlie: You hit like a ponce. A fight is brewing but Kate intervenes.

Locke/Boone return. Walt sees them. He goes to get water. I suspect he's also going to talk to Locke.

Shannon tells Boone about the raft and asks for help. Boone says no.

Locke tells Walt to respect his father and to stay away from him (Locke). Michael finds them and gets mad. He throws the comic book onto the fire. We all see a picture of an angry polar bear rearing up on it's hind legs as the comic book burns. Michael does too.

I am stopping there because I'm too tired to do this justice tonight. I'll finish this episode in the morning.

more Special (Specialer?)

Let's see, we left a burning comic book. We see the picture of the angry polar bear, rearing up on its hind legs. Hmmm, when Michael sees that, why doesn't he pull it out of the fire?

Flashback: Michael in a hospital, legs in casts, recovering from accident. He's drawing a picture for Walt's second birthday. He puts in the silly joke about a penguin with a sunburn at the nurse's suggestion. On the phone Walt's mom said he's 21 months old so Michael has been in the hospital for at least 2 months, probably closing in on 3. Poor guy. Walt's mom - Susan - shows up. She didn't bring Walt, c'mon woman! She came to see him. He is going to need a year of physical therapy. Susan is taking care of his medical bills. It's blood money or guilt money or whatever you want to call it because she is marrying Brian and Brian is adopting Walt. Cold, cold, cold. Michael, what did you see in her?

Walt grabs Vincent and takes him for a walk. Michael tries to find him. Walt is not with Locke. Locke tells Michael he is trying to respect Michael's wishes. Locke will help Michael find Walt.

Charlie/Kate Charlie really missing Claire. Bits of him are crumbling. He's keeping her stuff safe. Cute, comic scene of him trying not to read Claire's diary. He ultimately wins the battle with his conscience, for now. Since I doubt they'd make such a big deal of the diary if it weren't important, I bet Charlie reads it eventually.

Walt in the jungle, hears footsteps. Vincent runs off. Walt gives chase and drops the leash.

Flashback: Walt doing homework on the Birds of Australia. Sometime or other they moved from Amsterdam to Sydney. Susan and Brian discuss work. Susan suddenly doesn't feel well. Walt wants them to look at a picture of a bird. He says "You're not looking!" several times. Suddenly a bird flies into the picture window. Now everybody is looking. The dead bird can be seen on the deck.

Walt running through the forest, he hears growly noises.

Flashback: Brian comes to find Michael. Susan died yesterday. She was only sick for a week? That happened fast. Brian only adopted Walt because Susan wanted him too. He wanted Susan so OK. Brian: He's different somehow. Things happen around him. Brian gives Michael plane tickets to Sydney. Michael goes to get Walt. Walt's nanny gives Michael a box saying it's something he should have. It's years of unopened letters from Michael to Walt. Cold, cold, cold, rhymes with witch, but at least she saved them.

It's a polar bear in the jungle. It's coming after Walt. Was Walt reading the comic book when the last polar bear made an appearance? I'll check. Yes, the comic book makes its first appearance shortly before the polar bear does.
    Walt seeks shelter in a bamboo hut. Locke and Michael come upon the scene. Locke planning . . .

Flashback: Michael meets Walt. He lies for Brian and says that he is Walt's legal guardian, Brian doesn't have a choice. Vincent is Brian's dog. Brian says you can have him. Only fair.

Locke and Michael saving Walt from the polar bear. Michael walks on a plank over the bamboo hut and drops a knife down to Walt. Michael then drops down and ties vines around Walt's waste. Locke pulls him up to safety. Michael takes the knife and lunges at the polar bear, stabbing him. The polar bear runs away. Michael gives Locke a look that says 'thank you'. That bit of tension might be at an end. Vincent ran off. Locke: He found his way back to you once, he'll do it again.

Michael gives Walt the box with all the letters and the pictures he drew for him through the years. Walt wonders why his mother didn't give them to him. Michael doesn't know but he does say that she saved them so she must have wanted him to have them, someday at least. Michael, you're a good dad.

Charlie reading Claire's diary. See! "I realized I really like Charlie. There is something about him that is just so adorable and sweet. Even in a scary place like this Charlie makes me feel safe." Aw. Then he turns the page and reads, something, it gets quite a reaction, but not of the awwww variety.

Charlie goes to find Sayid and Jack. He says he was reading Claire's diary. Sayid: You read her diary? Charlie: I know, I'm bloody scum. But listen to this. Charlie reading: Had that weird dream - the one with the Black Rock - the one I can't get away from. I tried to leave but it won't let me. They muse that maybe the Black Rock is the location on Rousseau's map.

Boone/Locke - Locke using the dog whistle again. They hear something. Boone calls out Vincent. Nope, it's Claire. Whoa. I can't tell in that shot if she's still pregnant or not. Did she have the baby and get turned loose?

Anybody think we will start seeing sunburned penguins on the beach?

Homecoming

I'll guess the title refers to Claire's reappearance.

No eyeball this episode but we do get a shot of Charlie waking up. They bring Claire into camp, unconcious, and still pregnant, so no baby yet. How did she get away? Jack sponges her face. She wakes up and screams. She doesn't recognize anybody. They ask her questions. Claire: I don't know any Ethan. I don't know any of you. I don't remember any of you. Charlie: What do you remember? Claire: I was on a plane, flying to LA from Sydney.
    Jack explains that they were all on that plane and that her baby is fine. Claire: If it's been almost a month, why has noone come to get us? Because the title of the show is 'Lost', silly.

Sun/Jin discuss what's going on. There is a moment when they discuss the baby. There's a look on Sun's face, hmmm, maybe future flashbacks will explain it. Future flashbacks, is that an oxymoron?

Locke and Boone discuss Ethan. Locke sure hopes Ethan is not close by.

Charlie tells Claire that Ethan took both of them. Claire asks "Who is Ethan?" Charlie: Ethan is the bad guy. Claire wants to know why Ethan left Charlie behind. Charlie: Let's leave that until morning. Good idea. Claire asks if she and Charlie are friends. Yeah.

Flashback: Charlie with Tommy, another member of Drive Shaft. They are trying to score some drugs. Tommy is going to clean Charlie up and put him to work - romancing rich girls by trading on his rock star image. Great plan!

Sayid, Jack, and Locke discuss what might have happened to Claire while Charlie walks back to camp with Jin. They hear something then a stone, probably from a slingshot, hits Jin in the forehead and knocks him out. Ethan appears. He wants Claire. He tells Charlie to bring her to that exact spot. If Charlie doesn't do it, he will kill one of them, every day, until Charlie does what he asks. Ethan tells Charlie that he will kill Charlie last. Somehow I don't think it's going to come to that.

Locke, Jack, and Charlie discuss this latest turn of events. Jack wants to bring everybody to the caves and hunker down. Locke thinks that making themselves centrally located easy targets is a bad idea. Hmmm, Helm's Deep? So that makes Jack - Aragorn and Locke - Gandalf? Works for me.

Locke's plan will be followed here though. 1) Tell everybody - secrecy is not the safest way to go 2) Don't make an easy target 3) Post sentries

Jin wants to know what is going on. Start getting English help from Hurley, dude.

Claire asks Charlie why everybody is avoiding her. Well, see, you're the pregnant woman in this survivor scenerio and we're arguing over whether you deserve the last seat in the lifeboat, it's an ethics thing.

Flashback: Charlie on a date with rich girl Lucy. Lucy invites him for dinner the next night because her dad is a big rock fan, including Drive Shaft. We see a cigarette case owned by Winston Churchill. It's quite lovely.

Kate/Jack Kate suggests getting out the guns. Jack says no.

Locke/Sayid giving instructions. Fires every 20 meters. Sentries will be set up. Boone will take a shift. Really? You guys are going to trust Boone with sentry duty?

Flashback: Charlie having dinner with Lucy and her 'cool' father. Dad had been in a band, one with a comically horrible name that I forgot to write down. If it comes back up I'll be surprised. He gave up the rock dream when he became a father. Charlie is honest about Drive Shaft's prospects and Dad offers him a job. Charlie takes it. When Tommy hears about the job, selling copiers, he is not pleased.

Nightwatch Locke-Sayid-Boone Boone is sleepy. He closes his eyes. I told you so! I wonder if that actor wishes he hadn't accepted this role, Boone is such a douche. Anyway, he wakes up to daylight and a noise. It's Vincent! Sayid and Locke come running to find Boone and Vincent. Smiles all around, then we hear a female scream.

Somebody is dead on the beach. How did they get by the sentries? They came in from the water. (Or maybe past a sleeping Boone? Of course, why not just take the sleeping Boone out. Wait, that's a valuable sentry if you're trying to kill one at a time.)

Neck, arms, all the bones in his fingers were broken. Wow. Why didn't we hear him scream. It's 'Steve'. Oh poor Steve, you've gotten what, 3 seconds of screen time? No! It's 'Scott', c'mon Sawyer, don't you know the difference? There is a memorial service. 'Scott' was an internet sales representative who won a free vacation in Australia at his company. And we're down to 45. Poor 'Scott'. I sure hope 'Steve' gets more screen time before he bites it.

Claire finds out what's going on from Shannon. Claire is mad at Charlie for not telling her.

Flashback: Charlie's first day of work. Lucy very supportive. He's comtemplating the Winston Churchill cigarette case again.

Locke, voice of reason, won't track Ethan. They are in his territory and look how well it turned out the last time they tried. I agree with you Locke. Jack shows him the guns. Locke: Why Doctor, you've been holding out on us. Jack: I'm guessing you know how to handle one of these. I'm guessing that too. Locke can, sly smile.

They want to use Claire as bait to flush Ethan out. Charlie is not happy. Claire is willing. They pass out guns to Locke, Sayid, and Jack. Charlie wants to be one of the sentries but no, he has never fired a gun before.

Flashback: Charlie selling copiers. It's not going well. Duh. Charlie ends the sales pitch by throwing up on the copier.

There's still one gun. Hmmm, is there anyone else on this island who knows guns? They recruit Sawyer. Kate wants to come too. Jack: Nobody goes unarmed. Sawyer pulls out gun number 5. Remember? The Marshall had one on the plane and 4 in his case. Wow, that is a lot of guns. I mean, we know Kate is a handful but 5 guns? Anyway, Kate gets to come too. The plan is laid out as Charlie watches from afar.

Claire in the clearing in the rain. Suspenseful music. The men are in position. Don't know why Ethan can't spot them but we will give them poetic license. Maybe he can but he doesn't know about the guns. He's already beaten Jack down once so . . . Ethan appears. Clarie screams and runs, probably in a predetermined direction. Jack appears. Jack and Ethan fight in the rain and mud. Why is it always raining when Ethan fights with Jack? This time Jack is better prepared and he wins. He drops the gun in the process but manages to keep Ethan from getting it. It takes awhile for the others to show up though. I would have thought they would all be closer. Oh well. They capture Ethan alive. They have him when all of a sudden shots ring out. Charlie found Jack's gun and pumped 4 into Ethan's chest. He's dead. Charlie has fired a gun now guys.

Jack/Charlie Jack: Why? He could have told us things. Charlie: Really? Do you think he would have ever told us anything? I'm inclined to agree with you Charlie, plus, you know, it's Season 1, we can't solve everything right now! Charlie wasn't going to let him near Claire ever again. And let's be real, he strung you up and nearly killed you, so, I understand your feelings.

Flashback: Charlie has come to tell Lucy he is sorry. They found the cigarette case on him at the hospital, covered in sick. Ew. She's figured it out and she's mad. OK, you're a junkie who pretended to like me so you could steal and get a fix. Why did you actually take the job? Charlie was trying. He wanted to be respectable and to prove that he could take care of her. Lucy: You'll never be able to take care of anyone. And she slams the door in his face.

Charlie sits alone, brooding. Shannon is bandaging Sayid in the background. Claire comes up to Charlie and asks him why she remembers peanut butter. Charlie: It was imaginary peanut butter. Claire wants to trust Charlie.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 06-09-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Looking back over some of my earlier posts. I had fogotten the bit about Charlie being a coward, have to say, Kate was right. He's not a coward. Naive maybe, inexperienced and insecure, sure but not a coward.

Outlaws

Flashback: It's a little kids eye but we quickly figure out it's Sawyer. His mother wakes him, makes him promise to get under the bed and stay there, no matter what. She tells him not to make a sound. We can hear yelling and pounding on the door. Somebody breaks the door down, screaming, what are you doing with that gun, gunshot. We see cowboy boots enter the bedroom. So does boy Sawyer. The man sits on the bed and shoots himself.

Sawyer wakes up. A boar is in his tent. Sawyer shirt off shot running through camp. Thanks, it had been a few episodes since we'd seen that. Sawyer chases the boar into the jungle. He hears voices, whispering, then more clearly "It'll come back around."

Sayid/Sawyer. Sayid teases Sawyer about the boar. Sawyer: Are you enjoying yourself. Sayid: Yes. Sawyer continues being Sawyer until Sayid starts to walk away. Sawyer: What did you hear? Sayid stops teasing, "Why did you hear something?" Sawyer stops and tells Sayid to forget it.

Flashback: Sawyer with a babe in a hotel room. Someone is already there sitting in the dark. Oh, scary, it's Terminator 2 otherwise known as Robert Patrick or Hibbs, in this case. Sawyer has threatened to kill him. Hibbs reminds him that they both know he's not the killin' sort. Sawyer: What could possibly make us even for the Tampa job? Hibbs has information about the known location of the man who ruined Sawyer's life. He gives Sawyer the dossier. The guy runs a shrimp truck restaurant in Australia. Sawyer looks at his picture and it's a That Guy. We've seen that actor before, lots. It's driving me to go to imdb.com and find out his name. It's Jeff Perry, he's Meredith's dad on Grey's Anatomy, among other things.

Jack/Kate All the guns are back except Sawyer's. Kate can get it back, she speaks his language. Jack doesn't like this, of course, he doesn't want Kate to owe him anything.

Claire/Charlie Charlie is a bit stand offish with Claire.

Sawyer finds his tarp. "He'll come back around to us." Boar appears and knocks Sawyer into the mud. First his shirt off and now a muddy Sawyer, I like this episode. Sawyer wants revenge. Kate tries to talk him out of it. It's just a boar!

Flashback: Sawyer in Sydney buying an illegal handgun from an associate of Hibbs. No refund if he finds he's not a killer.

Charlie/Hurley burying Ethan. Hurley can tell something is wrong with Charlie. OK, we've buried the Marshall, Scott, and now Ethan. Wasn't Jack worried that the boars would dig dead bodies up and eat them? What changed?

Hurley tells Sayid he thinks Charlie might be having trouble since he killed Ethan. Maybe Sayid could talk to him.

Kate tracks Sawyer, easily. Sawyer tracking the boar? Not so good. Kate offers to help in exchange for carte blanche. She gets what she needs from his stash, when she needs it, no questions asked. Sawyer after a bit of resistance: All right, you got a deal.

Sawyer/Kate camping out. Sawyer has liquor. He'll share with Kate if she will play 'I never'. The rules of I never have changed somewhat since I went to Duke. I thought you could only say things that you, yourself, have never done but oh well. Kate has been in love and married (it didn't last long). Sawyer has not. Sawyer then says "I never killed a man." Kate drinks, then after a pause, so does Sawyer, "Something we have in common." Sawyer also notes that they are the only two on the island who "don't belong". Outlaws or outcasts? Both, perhaps.

Flashback: Boy Sawyer under the bed. His father's legs become the boars. Sawyer wakes up. Kate is there. He was shaking. Noises, Sawyer pulls out his gun. It's Locke. Sawyer thinks the boar has it in for him. Locke makes coffee and tells the story of his sister and foster mother. His sister Jeannie died after a fall from the monkey bars. His foster mother blamed herself and was in deep depression until a golden retrieve showed up, slept in Jeannie's bed, stayed until his foster mother died 5 years later, then left. Kate: So, you think the dog was your sister. Locke: No, that would be silly, but my mother did. She thought the dog was Jeannie coming back to say it wasn't her fault. It let her off the hook.

Flashback: Sawyer with gun. He's found the shrimp truck. The man running it is the man from the photo. He recognizes Sawyer as an American. It's half off for Americans. Name's Frank. Sawyer: James. Sawyer can't do it. He suddenly drives off. Sawyer is in a bar getting drunk. He buys a fellow American a drink. It's Jack's dad. They end up sharing a bottle. Sawyer: So we're in hell. Jack's dad: You are suffering. Some people are supposed to suffer. That's why the Red Sox will never win the World Series. Ha! Take that J.J. Abrams! Twice in the 21st Century, so far. Jack's dad is proud of Jack. It took more courage than I have to do what he did. He could make everything right with a phone call. Tell his son that he's proud of him and that he loves him but he won't because he's weak. Jack's dad asks if Sawyer's business in Australia will end his suffering. Sawyer: Yes. Jack's dad: Then why are you here? Sawyer: It's not that simple. Jack's dad: Of course it is, unless you want to end up like me, of course it is.

Charlie pounding melons. Sayid checks up on him. Sayid: You're not alone, don't pretend to be.

Kate/Sawyer They find the boar's wallow. Sawyer grabs a boar piglet. Kate gets mad and leaves him.

Flashback: Sawyer shoots Frank after all, at night, in the rain. He's the wrong man, of course, That Guy would never be the romancing type, really. Turns out, Frank just owed Hibbs money, he's not Frank Sawyer. He was going to make it right. Frank's dying words, "It'll come back around." Oh poor Sawyer. He's messed up, that's for sure, messed up and guilt ridden.

Sawyer finds the boar but can't kill it. They share a look. Are we supposed to think it's his dad? Perhaps. But Sawyer can't kill it. Kate sees him. He see her and says, "It's just a boar." Good for you Sawyer.

Charlie finds Claire, he'll take that walk now.

Sawyer returns the gun to Jack. Jack: That's why the Sox will never win the Series. Sawyer reacts. It was just something Jack's father used to say. Sawyer figures it out but doesn't tell Jack.

People on the island who have killed somebody (that we know about).

Kate, Sawyer, Jack (in surgery, it counts), Charlie, Sayid.

People on the island who have killed somebody (that we know about).

Kate, Sawyer, Jack (in surgery, it counts), Charlie, Sayid.
    Wait until the episode where Claire is revealed as a serial killer!

BD, the recaps are beyond awesome. Do you think at some point you could give us a few comments about your general enjoyment of the show, which charaters you like and dislike as well as your feelings about their importance, and (most importantly) what the heck you think is going on and what will happen next.

--Jason "Thanks!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

In Translation

Note to Jason - Wait until I get through Numbers.

Jin's eyeball. OK, the eyeball is definitely their thing but they don't do it everytime. Jin watching the waves.

Flashback: Jin standing in fancy office asking for permission to marry Sun. Sun's father: Why would I give my daughter to someone who sells his dreams so easilty Jin: Because she is my dream. Aw. I'd give my permission too. Of course, this conversation took place in Korean but they did have subtitles.

Jin is upset with Sun for, I think, wearing a bikini. Fighting again. Everybody notices but nobody does anything until Michael intervenes. Pushing and shoving until Sun steps in and slaps Michael.

Jin looking at the watch, the one that belongs to Sun's father. He asks Sun what is going on between her and Michael.

Flashback: Their wedding day. Sun wishes Jin's father had lived to see it. There will be no honeymoon. Jin has to work. He always manages to smooth things over with a flower. He gives her one now. Sun's father owns a car company.

Sun apologizes to Michael. She says she did it to protect him. He does not know what her husband is capable of. Michael: It's not my problem, it's yours. Well, since Jin attacked him a few episodes ago with no provocation, Michael might have an inkling. Plus he sees Jin manhandling you an awful lot, Sun.

Hurley finds Jin hitting something (rocks?) with the golf club. He suggests sea urchins. Hurley has fishing poles. Hurley: OK, you want to be an outsider, it's your business.

Shannon can tie a perfect bowlin(?) knot. She learned by dating guys with sailboats. Serious Shannon/Sayid flirting. Excuse me while I stick my finger down my throat. Somebody please tell me I'm not going to get 5 seasons worth of this couple. No, don't, I have my fingers crossed that this doesn't last. Sayid, c'mon, she's not good enough for you!

Michael is building the raft discussed in the last episode. He wants to show Walt the Flatiron building in New York. That building is what made Michael want to be an artist. Sawyer has bought his way onto the raft with supplies. I just looked up a picture of the Flatiron building. Yep, it's beautiful and memorable and you've seen pictures of it before.

Kate/Sun talking about letting Jin know she speaks English when people start running. The raft is on fire. There's a shot of Locke, I doubt he started it, but he sure does know who did. Michael thinks it's Jin. Is he capable of this? Burning the raft to spite Michael? I doubt that too but the suspicion will further Jin's story.

Jin hurt his hands. They are burned. Well, that's suspicious. He's still got the handcuff around one wrist. I guess the key was lost in the crash. Couldn't Sawyer try to pick the lock? Sun worries about him but he gets mad when she says Michael's name.

Flashback: Jin 'delivers a message' from Mr. Paik to some government minister. OK, I thought the guy was Long Duk Dong from Sixteen Candles, but it wasn't. I must say that disappointed me, but then I realized this guy is too young. The actor who did play Long Duk Dong - Gedde Watanabe - will be 54 years old in 2 weeks. Wow. Anyway, this guy who is not the Donger, says to Jin, "Please, not in front of my daughter." Jin looks over his shoulder. The girl, probably 8 or 9, is watching TV. Hurley is on the TV, it looks like a news program. What? OK. The Not Donger is very grateful for the way the message was delivered. He was afraid and now he's overcome with relief. He gives Jin his champion Sharpei, well, the little girl's prize Sharpei. We've seen this dog before.

Sayid/Boone Boone tells Sayid what Shannon is really like. He may be jealous but I don't think he's lying. Shannon likes older men to take care of her. Yep, I buy that.

Sawyer finds Jin and punches him out.

Sayid backs off from Shannon! Shannon mad finds Locke when she is looking for Boone. Locke asks Shannon what liking Sayid has to do with Boone. Everyone gets a new life on this island, Shannon, maybe it's time you start yours. Oh that Locke, I don't think you've taken the tabula rasa too far, yet.

Flashback: Sun made an elaborate dinner for Jin. Jin vows not to work and turns off his cell phone. But then the land line rings, he can't keep his promise. He is sent back to Not Donger's house with an associate (who has a gun). Jin rushes ahead of the muscle and beats Not Donger up. He says firmly "The factory opens tomorrow" then adds in sotto voce "I just saved your life". He turns to the associate, "He got the message." The other guy puts his gun away. He returns home bloody. We've seen this scene before. Jin does whatever Sun's father asks him to do. But after Sun leaves the bathroom, Jin cries.

Sawyer drags Jin to the beach. Michael and Jin fight. This time Michael is winning. Jin isn't really fighting back. Sun watches. Finally she yells, in English, "Stop it! Leave him alone! He didn't burn your raff." Jin got injured trying to put out the fire. Sun says that her husband is many things but he is not a liar.

Stunned silence all around. Then Charlie: You speak English? and Hurley: Didn't see that comin' Jin is shocked too and not in a good way.

Locke restores order by blaming The Others. We're not the only people on this island and we all know it. Well, we do now if we didn't before. Everybody walks away from Sun and Jin until he turns and walks away too.

Michael can't salvage anything. Walt watches. Michael will start over. Walt asks if he can help. Of course he can!

Jin is leaving the caves. Sun confesses to him in English that she was going to leave him. She's only in this godforsaken place because of your stupid flower, you idiot. She didn't say it quite like that. She thought you still loved her. She wishes they could go back to the beginning, start over.

Flashback: Jin goes to see his father - whoops, not dead after all. Jin was ashamed of him and now he's rather ashamed of himself. Dad is still proud of him. Then he gives him marital advice. Jin wants to start over with Sun and save his marriage. Jin's father tells him to do one last thing for Mr. Paik, deliver the watches to his associates in Sydney and LA then stay in America with Sun.

Jin turns to Sun: It's too late. He leaves. Jin, I was starting to feel the tragedy of you and you just blew it, you big jerk. But, it's for the drama! OK, maybe, I still think you're a big jerk until you prove otherwise.

Shannon kisses Sayid. What was that for? Everybody gets a new life on this island.

Locke plays backgammon with Walt (backgammon is back, yea!). Walt ask Locke if his dad is cool. Locke: No, no he's not. Locke then asks Walt why he started the fire. Walt doesn't want to move anymore. He likes it here. Locke does too.

Morning - Jin brings bamboo reeds to Michael and says 'Boat'. Shannon cuddles with Sayid. Hurley listening to music on his headphones. I remark to my oldest son that Hurley must have some fantastic batteries if that CD player is still playing music after a month and just then the batteries go dead. Prescient, am I.

Quick review of reasons for being in Australia

Charlie - visiting brother Liam
    Jack - getting his dead father
    Sawyer - seeking revenge (but not finding it)
    Kate - eluding the law (there's more to the story though)
    Claire - lives there
    Boone/Shannon - Shannon scammed Boone then got scammed herself
    Locke - Walkabout
    Michael - getting Walt who was living there
    Jin/Sun - delivering watches/escaping, almost

Scott - won a free vacation with his company

That leaves Sayid, Hurley, and Rose who's more recurring than regular.

Numbers

First shot is Hurley (about time!) although not his eyeball. Forgot to mention, at the end of the last episode, Walt tells Locke that Hurley owes him $83,000 in backgammon losses.

The numbers, I have heard mention of some numbers.

Hurley, Jin, and Michael are building the raft. It's being guarded. Perhaps they could send out an SOS to passing ships. How would you power such a thing? Hurley: Didn't Sayid say that crazy French chick had batteries? Why, yes, yes he did. Good idea Hurley. Sayid: Absolutely not. He's not going back and he's not telling Jack (or Hurley) how to find her. Sayid doesn't know what the papers he took from her mean. He does know she's labelled an area 'Dark Territory', do they really want to go there? Hurley looks through the papers and finds a list of numbers - 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. These numbers spook Hurley out.

OK, let's see - J.J. Redick (for J.J. Abrams), Carl Yastrzemski (that's why the Red Sox will never win the World Series), 15, 16, 23 (Michael Jordan because duh, it's gotta be Michael Jordan), 42. I'll let you know when I figure out the rest.

Flashback: Hurley watching TV, alone on a Saturday night. His mother wants him to go out. Hurley checks the lottery numbers, he wins with 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42. It's the largest jackpot ever given out. He faints. Something tells me Hurley is good for the $83,000, Walt.

Sayid wakes up to find Hurley staring at him. Dude, are you awake? He is now Hurley. Hurley awkwardly questions Sayid about the numbers (and the maps etc). Sayid wants to know why Hurley is interested in Rousseau. Hurley leaves but not before palming some of the maps.

Hey, I just made the J.J. connection and there's Hurley. I bet it all comes back to Duke Basketball. Surely everybody else has already figured that out.

Flashback: Hurley being interviewed about winnings. The first thing he is going to do is send his grandfather on vacation. Grandpa has a heart attack and dies during the interview. We see Hurley (Hugo's) brother Diego with his wife Lisa.

Hurley/Charlie Hurley is going to scope out some new fishing areas. Charlie offers to come. Hurley wants some alone time. He's taking a lot of water for this excursion. Hey, he's big, he gets dehydrated easily.

Locke/Claire Locke wants Claire's help building something.

Sayid confronts Jack about the map. Nope, Hurley acted alone. Charlie saw Hurley, he was acting like a loon. Sayid: He's going after her. One thing I have to say about 'Lost', very little of the plot depends upon people being stupid, well, except for anything Boone does, I like that.

Jack, Charlie, and Sayid head out after Hurley. Shannon is worried about Sayid. It is kind of sweet. Don't fall for it Sayid! Remember Nadia! It's only been 7 years.

Hurley walks the beach. It's a great scene of him trucking along, bandana on his head.

Flashback: Hurley takes his mother in a Hummer to see her new house (it's a surprise). He lists all the bad stuff that's been happening. Grandpa died. Father Aguilar was struck by lightening at the funeral. Lisa left Diego for a waitress.

Time out. First of all, there it is, whenever a character is named Lisa she's either a 'rhymes with witch' or the ex-wife or some other afterthought kind of character. I have been officially on a crusade to rescue the name Lisa from the scrap heap for a couple of years now. We are not b*tches, or ex-wives, or afterthoughts! Get Used To It! Personally I think it would make a great baby name, c'mon, the world needs more Lisas. Secondly, UNBELIEVEABLE MOMENT NOMINEE, if your brother-in-law just won, what, 100 million in the lottery, is there ANY possible way you would leave your husband? Don't buy it. No 'waitress' is worth that kind of money. C'mon J.J., do your homework. And the next time you need to give a b*tch a name, might I suggest Annette? Now that's a b*tchy name.

OK, back to 'Lost'. When Hurley gets to the house his mother trips on the curb and injures her ankle, the house catches fire, and Hurley is arrested as a suspected drug dealer. Bad stuff keeps happening around Hurley.

Hurley finds the wire.

Flashback: Hurley is with his accountant. His interest in orange futures skyrocketed after the tropical storms hit Florida. He is now the majority share holder in a box company. I'll bet Walt's $83,000 that it's the one where Locke works. His sneaker company went bankrupt, but they were overinsured so he actually made money on the deal. Hurley is profiting from a lot of other people's misfortunes. Hurley feels guilty about it all. C'mon Hurley, you're not the first lottery winner to feel this way. The accountant asks him where he got the numbers, was it somebody's birthday? What? Hurley: That's it - it's not the money, it's the numbers. The numbers are cursed! Accountant pooh-poohs this idea as somebody falls past the window.

And it's bed time. I've figured out what the numbers mean, by the way. I'll tell you in the morning.

Time out. First of all, there it is, whenever a character is named Lisa she's either a 'rhymes with witch' or the ex-wife or some other afterthought kind of character. I have been officially on a crusade to rescue the name Lisa from the scrap heap for a couple of years now. We are not b*tches, or ex-wives, or afterthoughts! Get Used To It! Personally I think it would make a great baby name, c'mon, the world needs more Lisas. Secondly, UNBELIEVEABLE MOMENT NOMINEE, if your brother-in-law just won, what, 100 million in the lottery, is there ANY possible way you would leave your husband? Don't buy it. No 'waitress' is worth that kind of money. C'mon J.J., do your homework. And the next time you need to give a b*tch a name, might I suggest Annette? Now that's a b*tchy name.
    First - yes, Lisa is a wonderful name. At least that's what my wife keeps telling me.

Second - this is a lot of fun BD. I've been watching the reruns of LOST on SciFi and they're right in line with where you are. I just watched Numbers yesterday. It's a lot of fun to watch an episode and guess at what things you'll pick up on. You're doing real well!

Numbers, Part 2

OK, so when you read the last part of my previous report did you think Twin Peaks or the guy who drowned at sea after noting that he had figured out a way to prove Fermat's Last Theorem?

Luckily, I'm back, well, for me at any rate. I left off before a Sun/Kate scene where Sun is bemoaing being left by Jin. He's never going to speak to me again. Good, fewer subtitles to keep track of. Sun guesses that Jin will go on the raft. OK, I'll guess that too. The raft will be Michael, Sawyer, Jin, and Walt, of course. But will they take Vincent? He could prove mightly delicious if things don't go well. Kidding!

Hurley in the jungle. He sees a dead boar caught in a trap. Rousseau should hook up with Locke. He steps on something, a bee hive? Sayid, Charlie, and Jack find Hurley just in time. Don't move, you'll release the pressure trigger and spring the trap. There's a big spiky thing ready to swing at you. Hurley says "I can get out of the way, I'm spry!" You go, Hurley! And he does, and he gets out of the way, and I think that trap wasn't very good. The Party of 4 heads out to find Rousseau.

Flashback: Hurley visiting a mental institution. He's trying to find Lenny. We see an accident waiting to happen in the background. It makes Hurley nervous. Hurley: Dude, do not do that right now. Leave the bulb for another time, man. Aw, Hurley, concerned for your fellow man. The guy stops what he's doing. It's pretty funny. A doctor recognizes Hurley, did he used to work there? Volunteer? Anyway, the doctor takes him to Lenny. Lenny is bat-s**t crazy, repeating the numbers over and over again. Hurley asks him what the numbers mean, then tells him he played the lottery with those numbers. Lenny: You shouldn't have done that! You gotta get away from them, those numbers, or it won't stop. Lenny becomes agitated. As they drag him out of the room, Lenny tells Hurley he worked with Sam Toomey in a town in Australia.

The Party of 4 find a ravine and rope bridge. Hurley starts across. The others try to stop him. Hurley: Dudes, chill. Charlie follows. The bridge collapses just as he makes it to the other side.

Sayid and Jack will come around. Hurley and Charlie follow a path.

Flashback: Hurley finds Sam Toomey's house. He talks to Sam's wife. Sam has been dead for 4 years. Sixteen years ago Lenny and Sam worked together monitoring low wave radio signals. Boring as heck and almost always static until the broadcast gets through. Someone is sending out the numbers over and over again. Sam and his wife go to a fair, there's a bean jar, guess the exact number of beans and win $50,000. Sam guessed the number 4,815,162,342. It's exactly right but then bad things start to happen around Sam. Sam believed the numbers cursed those around him. It stopped when he put a shotgun in his mouth and blew his head off. Sam's wife: There's no curse. You make your own luck, Mr. Reyes, don't blame it on the damn numbers. You're looking for an excuse that doesn't exist.

Locke/Claire building something. Claire says she can only remember bits and pieces of her time with Ethan. Locke says he's good at putting pieces together.

Jack trips an explosion. It's Rousseau's hovel. She had cleared out and moved on. She left it booby trapped.

Charlie wants answers for Hurley's behavior. He's about to tell Charlie the story when someone starts shooting at them. They separate and run for it.
    Hurley finds Rousseau. What do the numbers mean? She doesn't know. The low level transmission brought them to the island to investigate. They moved closer and crashed on the rocks. The found a radio tower, near the Black Rock. After her team was dead, she went back to the radio tower and changed the transmission - to the one we heard. Hurley asks again about the numbers. He says they are cursed. Rousseau has lost everything, and everyone she ever cared about since she heard the numbers. Rousseau: Yes, I suppose you're right, they are cursed. Hurley: Thank you, you don't know how long I've been waiting for someone to say that. Hurley hugs Rousseau.

Sayid finds Nadia's picture, a bit singed around the edges, but still. Charlie stumbles upon them. They start to look for Hurley when he walks into the clearing. He hands Sayid a battery, "She says hey."

The Party of 4 returns. Sayid give Michael the battery.

Locke has been building a cradle. It's Claire's birthday. Happy Birthday, Claire. Well, there's another birthday we know, except I don't know what day it is on the show, so, not that much help.

Charlie tells Hurley his big secret, the drugs. Hurley responds with "Back home, I'm worth $156 million." Charlie doesn't believe him and gets mad.

Last shot - the side of the hatch - 4 8 15 16 23 42

OK, for those of you who want to know what they mean, it's obvious
    481-516-2342. Now all we have to do is feed them into the Infinite Probability Drive and find a survivor named Ford. Bonus points if he's carrying a towel. Bostondevil ducks.

The next episode is actually titled Deus Ex Machina. This worries me. This whole thing better not turn on a deus ex machina, that's all I have to say.

Accountant pooh-poohs this idea as somebody falls past the window.
    You will never... I mean NEVER... figure out who fell past the window.

I've figured out what the numbers mean, by the way. I'll tell you in the morning.
    Oh, I cannot wait for this!!

-Jason "what about Lisa Simpson, she's a good Lisa" Evans

Numbers

Last shot - the side of the hatch - 4 8 15 16 23 42

OK, for those of you who want to know what they mean, it's obvious
    481-516-2342.
    4/8 is my parent's anniversary. 5/16 is my birthday. 23 was my football number my junior year of high school. So these numbers are all about me!

Or... just to irritate Red Sox fans ...
    4 - Lou Gherig
    8 - Yogi Berra, Bill Dickey
    15 - Thurman Munson
    16 - Whitey Ford
    23 - Don Mattingly
    42 - Mariano Rivera
    All of these numbers have been retired by the Yankees. #42 is universally retired in baseball in honor of Jackie Robinson. Rivera wears it by special arrangement until he retires, at which time it will be retired again by the Yankees to honor Rivera as well. Rivera may never get to pitch against the Red Sox this year as it seems as though the Yankees will never lead going into the ninth inning against them Ugh.

Lisa is a very pretty name.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com