Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Let's Get 'Lost' with Bostondevil

Before I begin the odyssey, any suggestions, questions, or specific desires as I watch 'Lost' from the beginniing? Please no spoilers! Just if you have a suggestion on how you would like me to proceed, go ahead at let me know.

Suddenly I have a desire to listen to Chet Baker.

Good thinking to post these questions, Bostondevil. I'm going to start my own "Lost" odyssey this weekend, and will start a different thread to post my thoughts. Might be fun to compare with each other as we go through it, as long as we can avoid spoilers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Before I begin the odyssey, any suggestions, questions, or specific desires as I watch 'Lost' from the beginniing?
    Hmmm. An extra "i". What could it mean? WHAT could it mean!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Hmmm. An extra "i". What could it mean? WHAT could it mean!
    Cute, but I'm sorry to report, in this case, it means BD didn't proofread her post and/or her typing skills are less than first rate.

It is hard to give suggestions that are not spoilers. I would simply say that everything is intentional. There are going to be moments where something will happen and you will think, "what was up with that? That had to be a mistake." but, rest assured, it is not.

One thing you should grow to quickly appreciate is how rich and interesting the main characters are. You are going to get all kinds of background information on them over the course of the first season that will allow you to really feel connected to them. Keep track of which ones you like the most and which ones you don't really like and then notice as your feelings change over the course of time. Some of the background stories are going to just blow you away.

--Jason "I am eager for your first report!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is hard to give suggestions that are not spoilers. I would simply say that everything is intentional. There are going to be moments where something will happen and you will think, "what was up with that? That had to be a mistake." but, rest assured, it is not.

One thing you should grow to quickly appreciate is how rich and interesting the main characters are. You are going to get all kinds of background information on them over the course of the first season that will allow you to really feel connected to them. Keep track of which ones you like the most and which ones you don't really like and then notice as your feelings change over the course of time. Some of the background stories are going to just blow you away.

--Jason "I am eager for your first report!" Evans
    Similarly, I'd advise you to keep an extremely detailed journal of every detail of every event so that when connections become clear to you later you have something to refer back to. If you're watching the episodes in rapid sucession, this will be particularly important. Really, the overall theme is that you need to be obsessive about every detail of the show and divert all your waking (and unconscious) thoughts toward the show and what will happen next.

I'm only kinda kidding. The show is the best on television. Seriously.

Thanks guys, hope to get through the first season in the next week or two.

UVA? You still owe me lunch, don't think I'm going to forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Thanks guys, hope to get through the first season in the next week or two.

UVA? You still owe me lunch, don't think I'm going to forget!
    Don't wait until you are done to post anything. Get it going after a few episodes! I cannot wait to hear your reaction to the following-- "He's in a chair?!?!?! WTF??!?!"

--Jason "I don't think I gave anything away with that-- but we all know what I am talking about" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Pilot Part 1

The series opens with Jack lying on his back in a wooded glade. I'm going to go ahead and use Jack's name here because I do remember it. One of the two episodes I watched was the pilot. He opens his eyes to see the leafy canopy, a yellow labrador retriever runs by him. He slowly becomes aware of his surroundings. We hear screaming. He gets up and makes his way to the beach where we see the aftermath of a plane crash. People are helping each other, or not, one guy walks too close to the still running engine and gets sucked into it, ew. Jack helps a pregnant woman who is having contractions then gets a fat guy to stay with her as he goes to help others. He pushes one guy, a lifeguard, off of another woman then give the woman mouth-to-mouth. She sputters, coughs, and sits up. Jack sees the wing about to fall on fat guy and pregnant woman and rushes to save them just in time.

Jack then goes off into the woods to look at himself. He has a gash on his back. He spies Kate(?) and asks her to help sew him up. He gives her a sip from an airplane bottle of vodka then uses the rest to wash off the gash. She comments that he doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. He tells the story of his first surgey. He makes a mistake with the spinal sheath of a 16 year old. He describes the nerves spilling out like angel hair pasta. He says that he made the decision to let the fear take over for 5 seconds then put it behind him. He counted to 5, sewed the patient back up (successfully) and that was that. Kate and Jack make a plan to look for the nose of the plane, specifically to find the transceiver. If Kate is going with him she will need better shoes.

Korean couple on the beach. Husband tells wife not to leave his sight. They are going to keep to themselves, at least for now.

Scene is interrupted by loud noises/animal sounds/trees moving - I'm dubbing it the 'Leaf Moving Monster'.

Flashback - Jack on the plane. His drink is not very strong. We see the flight attendant give him two bottles of vodka. He drinks one and puts the other in his pocket. One mystery solved! We know where the vodka came from. Jack gets up to go to the bathroom? Merry Brandybuck knocks into him followed by flight attendants saying "Sir, excuse me, sir". Jack notices black woman sitting next to him, the one he has just saved on the beach. Her husband is in the bathroom. Plane jolts. Jack reassures her and says he'll keep her company until her husband gets back. All heck breaks loose, oxygen masks fall down.

Back to the beach. Kate takes hiking boots off a dead body and checks the size. She looks up to see Terry O'Quinn staring at her. He smiles and reveals he is eating an orange? His mouth is orange but it's bigger than the normal orange slice and I'm not positive it looks like orance peel in his mouth. Definitely orange and in his mouth.

Fat guy says it's pretty grim in the fuselage and asks if they should do something about the bodies. Nobody is interested at the moment.

Jack leads a small group to look for the cockpit, him, Kate, and hobbit guy - the Hikers. He's Charlie, former (current?) bassist for Drive Shaft, a band that's had at least one hit single.

It's started to rain and we have the second appearance of Leaf Moving Monster.

Hikers find the cockpit in the rain. They have to climb up the plane. The nose section of the plane seems devoid of dead bodies for the most part. We only see one strapped into a seat, I think. It's all I counted. It's a hard climb. Jack gets to the cockpit door and has to pound on the knob to get it to open. A dead pilot falls out when he does. Jack yells to see if Kate is all right. She is. Then Charlie adds "Charlie's fine, by the way." Kate and Jack enter the cockpit. Where is the transceiver? They can't find it. The pilot wakes up. He's alive! How long has he been out. 16 hours. Oh no. Six hours into the flight the radio went dead. They turned back to land in Fiji just before the turbulence hit. They are 1000 miles off course. Rescue parties will be looking in the wrong place.

With the pilot's help they find the transceiver. Where is Charlie? Kate goes to look for him. After a suspenseful moment, Charlie comes out of a bathroom. Then the noises start. Appearance of Leaf Moving Monster #3. The pilot leans out the window - why? Dummy. The monster grabs him. We see blood on the plane window. The nose falls from its precarious perch in the trees. Kate, Jack, and Charlie run for it. Charlie trips and has his foot caught in some vines. Jack goes back to help. Kate keeps running. She realizes she is alone and steps into a circle of skinny trees? Vines? We see her counting to 5. Charlie shows up and they go back to look for Jack. They find Jack unharmed. Then they find the pilot's wings on the ground. They look up to see the pilot's completely bloody, battered body up high in a tree. What kind of animal can do that?

Wow, very detailed, nice work...

As I read your synopsis, you've identified at least one mystery,

1) What is the 'Leaf Moving Monster?'

This is really such a cool idea

Thanks so much for the detailed review mixed in with your thoughts about the pilot episdoe. I can't wait to see more reviews and recall more things that I had forgotten.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Hmm.

(redacted for spoilers)
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 05-27-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Ooops!

I apoligize. I did not mean to spoil anything.

Luckily I didn't read beyond - "In the last episode" Remember, or perhaps you haven't read the other thread where I volunteered to do this, I'm doing this for all the DBR folks who'd like to follow along from a newbie's perspective. Somehow I have managed to both not watch 'Lost' and not spoil myself. I know almost nothing about the show. I watched the pilot and one other episode. I don't know which one. I'll let you know when I come to it but I think it was in the second season. Please don't discuss 'in the future' events in this thread. It's bad enough with my husband, a 'Lost' afficionado. I know, I know, how is it possible that I know so little about the show? I had to ban him from the den last night because I could tell he was wanting to discuss things and perhaps point stuff out. I told him that's a no-no and sent him on his way. I have three more episodes under my belt and will post synopses as soon as I can.

Got it. That's why I apoligized.

Sure, no problem!

Just letting everybody else know that didn't read the first thread.

Pilot Part 2

Charlie: Every trek needs a coward.
    Kate: You're not a coward.

Flashback to Charlie on the plane, fidgety, tapping his ring repetitively against the armrest. Flight attendant (the same one who gave Jack the extra vodka) asks him if he is all right. She is suspicious of him. He notices that she has gone back to talk to the other flight attendants. He gets up and heads forward on the plane, bumps into Jack on the way. He goes into a bathroom and takes out his stash. He takes some. Male fight attendant voice asking him to open the door, then insisting that he open the door, then trying to open the door himself. Charlie is just about to flush the remainder of his stash when all heck breaks loose. He is knocked about the bathroom but manages to exit and find his way to an empty seat where he straps himself in. I think he was in the tail section originially so, indirectly, his drug habit saves him. And now we know why he wanted to join the expedition to the nose and what he was doing in the bathroom.

Blonde girl (not the pregnant one) is sunbathing on the beach, not helping out anybody else, and convinced a rescue party will be there soon. She has found her luggage, taken out a bathing suit, and according to her brother, Boone (the not so good lifeguard), has given herself a pedicure. All I know is that when I'm stranded on a beach, my feet need some TLC so what's the problem Boone?

There is an exchange between Walt's dad and the Korean couple. They can't understand each other but the husband yells at the wife while she is talking to Dad. She then buttons the top button on her shirt. Dad understands that something is up and uptight between these two. He apologizes and moves on. Dad is helping Walt look for Vincent - the dog. We saw the dog in the first shot so we know he is on the island somewhere and presumably OK. I once heard a comment from, I think Stephen Spielberg, that you can't get away with killing dogs in movies. MOVIE SPOILER ALERT Is that why I Am Legend didn't do so well? Anyway, Dad finds handcuffs on the forest floor.

Meanwhile Sawyer and Said are fighting on the beach. Jack and Dad come to break it up. Sawyer, establishing himself in the selfish a-hole role, I think, accuses Said of sabotage. Jack is trying to make peace. Sawyer: 'Whatever you say, Doc. You're the hero.' Hmmm, exactly.

The transceiver is dead but Said will try to fix it. It's not the batteries, they still work but they aren't receiving anything. Maybe they can transmit but they will need to get to higher ground. Fat guy's name is Hurley. Nice moment where he and Said tell each other 'You're OK'. Said admits he fought in the Gulf War for the Iraqi's in the Republican Guard.

We see Kate in her gratuitous bikini shot washing up in the surf. Korean wife come to tell her something which I don't understand at all but Kate seems to get the gist of it. There is pointing. Maybe something is going on back on the beachfront.

Now my notes say Shrapnel Dude won't make it another day. I know who Shrapnel Dude is but I don't think I've mentioned him before in my reports. Jack in full blown hero mode has a guy with a large piece of metal sticking out of his guy under a tent. He is monitoring him. He thought that they would be rescued by now. Shrapnel Dude won't make it unless they remove the shrapnel. He probably won't make it anyway but they have to try to take it out.

Said and Kate prepare to take a hike to higher ground. Kate tells Jack. He wonders why she is always volunteering to go on the missions into the Leaf Moving Monster's territory.

Korean husband has been fishing. Why do I think they are Korean? Anyway, he prepares sushi and offers it to Hurley. Hurley: 'Dude, I'm starving but there is no way I'm eating that!' Ah, comic relief, that's Hurley's role so far.

Walt has found a comic book in Spanish. Dad asks can he read Spanish? No, but, c'mon, it's a comic book.

Boone non-pregnant blonde girl (Shannon!) fight. Shannon told Boone she could get a fish. She got Charlie to get the fish for her but so what? Boone is disgusted. Shannon, in a fit of pique, decides to go on the expedition to higher ground. Charlie and Boone sign up too.

Sawyer is reading something, sees the Expedition leave, and comes too.

Dad's name is Michael. He tells Jack he's looking for the dog. Jack asks it it's a lab. Yes. Jack saw him yesterday. He looked OK.

Mr. Locke (Terry O'Quinn) asks Walt if he wants to play a game (backgammon). We find out Walt's mother died two weeks ago. Locke: 'You're havin a bad month.' Locke then explains backgammon is an old game, goes back 5000 years to before Jesus Christ even. In the old days the dice were made of bones. Two players, two sides, light and dark. He holds up two backgammon pieces, one black and one white. Locke then asks Walt if he wants to know a secret.

Korean husband offers sushi to pregnant woman. She eats some then feels the baby move for the first time since the crash. She is very excited and makes Korean husband feel her stomach. He is not comfortable with this but she doesn't notice.

Expedition: Sawyer and Said fight over whether to check the transceiver. Said doesn't want to waste the batteries and Sawyer thinks they are up hight enough. We hear animal noises. Is it the Leaf Moving Monster? No. Something charges them and Sawyer shoots it! But still, he wastes an awful lot of bullets. He killed a bear, a polar bear. Where did he get that gun, by the way?

Jack gets Hurley to help him operate on Shrapnel Dude. Hurley says he is not good with blood. Jack insists and tells him not to look. Jack pulls the shrapnel out, Hurley passes out.

Expedition: How the heck did a polar bear get here. It can't be, but it is. Hey Sawyer, they ask suspiciously, where did you get that gun? Found it on a US Marshall. How do we know you aren't the prisoner? There is a confrontation over the gun. Kate takes it and removes the clip. There is still one bullet in the chamber. Said tells her what to do. He obviously knows about guns but we already know he was a soldier.

Flashback: Kate is the prisoner in handcuffs. She is sitting on the plane with the US Marshall. They have a conversation fraught with tension. She asks him to do her a favor. Marshall: 'This ought to be good.' All heck breaks loose. A heavy suitcase hits Marshall in the head and knocks him out. We also see the back of the plane rip away. Kate tries to put the oxygen mask on her face, she can't. She struggles to get the handcuff key out of Marshall's pocket. She succeeds, unlocks herself, then puts a mask on Marshall before she puts one on herself. Kate, the criminal with a heart.

Back to the beach, the US Marshall is Shrapnel Dude. He wakes up, grabs Jack by the shirt and says 'Where is she?' Jack asks 'Who?'

Expedition: The transceiver can't transmit because something else is already transmitting. They adjust the transceiver to pick up the transmission. Female voice speaking French followed by male voice saying Iteration followed by numbers. Shannon speaks French. She listens and translates: Please help me. Please come get me. I'm alone now. I'm all alone. Please someone come. The others are dead. It killed them. It killed them all.

Said figures out that the iterations are the number of times this message has been transmitted. He times the message and does the calculations. 16 years, 5 months. It's a distress call that has been playing for 16 years. Someone else was stranded here.

Charlie: 'Guys, where are we?'

Hey BD, for those of us who are into Lost, I think we'd rather hear your thoughts/comments/impressions about each episode rather than a detailed synoposis about each episode since (a) we already saw them and (b) we can get those at the Lost website. I just don't want you to spend all your time typing everything you saw on TV. I'd rather hear what you thought about what you saw. That's more interesting and entertaining for us. Enjoy! It's a great show.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Hmmm, my thoughts are kind of mixed in there, not sure if I can separate them out, it all kind of flows for me. When I type in a direct quote, it's because I think it might be important (or I think it's funny or it does a better job of summing up than I could). For example, I put the stuff about the backgammon game in because, well, I think it might come back up.

If you haven't watched the first episodes in awhile, I might mention something that you had forgotten. If you've watched them religiously and analyzed every last detail, well, then my synopses are going to be boring. Sorry about that.

OK, but if you really want some thoughts. The polar bear is a WTF moment. The effects for Leaf Moving Monster are just silly enough that it doesn't scare me. The chilling moment is when Shannon translates the transmission and Said comes in with 16 years, 5 months. Whoa. 'Guys, where are we?' indeed. Kate - the hooker with a heart of gold. Jack - the hero. Said - the tragic hero. Sawyer - the anti-hero. Hurley - comic relief. Locke - intriguing. Korean couple - who knows? Pregnant woman - there's always a pregnant woman in survivor scenerios. Boone/Shannon expendable but good for a fight and I suspect will be used primarily for exposition. Michael/Walt, gotta have a kid and a dog, plus a kid with issues can up the drama. Charlie - don't have a pat answer for his character yet, he's not comic relief, but I included the opening lines from Pilot Part 2 for a reason.

If everything really does have a purpose on this show, well, I think it's no accident that Locke was playing backgammon, that Walt found a comic book in Spanish, that Shannon studied abroad so she could speak French, that Charlie is a drug addict, that there's only one bullet in the chamber of the gun (actually, I already know why there is only one bullet left in the gun).

I really enjoy reading the summary of each episode. I will be thoroughly impressed if you keep up this level of detail. I love it! There are so many minuscule events and quirks about the characters that I have forgotten, and it makes me miss the old seasons too Maybe I will have to go back and re-watch some of it, just to jog my memory and have some fun.

Keep up the good work Bostondevil!