Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Starting Line Up 2009-10

Now that the whole John Wall saga is over, I was just curious as to what our starting five/team would look like next year.

C:
    PF:
    SF:
    SG:
    PG:
    Sixth man:

2. Obviously a lot to be seen over the summer (how guys develop, who comes ready to play, etc.) but my off-the-cuff guess is something like:

PG: Jon
    SG: Nolan/Email
    SF: Kyle/Kelly/Olek
    PF: Lance/Plumlee
    C: Plumlee/Z

I expect Jon and Nolan to share the PG duties a lot, since both are converted SG's with different skills. I love Email, but we just can't start our entire set of guards. I see moving Kyle to the 3 as a "must" and I'm very hopeful that one of the Super Plumlee Bros. can earn a starting gig, since they both have physical tools that Lance and Z simply lack.

End of game, I'd expect all three guards, Kyle, and whichever big stands out or best fits the situation. I'll be cheering my brains out for these guys, but there are just a ton of holes and zero margin for error. Glad we have K and that the Olympics/book tour will be over.

Guards = Scheyer, E-mail
    Forwards = Singler, Mason Plumlee
    Center = Zoubs

Lots of competition for spots though.

I think our best five players will be Nolan, Jon, Elliot, Kyle and Mason, and we will see that lineup at the end of games...especially as the year goes on. However, I bet the starting lineup will most often be:

PG: Nolan Smith
    SG: Jon Scheyer
    SF: Kyle Singler
    PF: Lance Thomas
    C: Mason Plumlee
    6th: Elliot Williams

...with the most likely variation being Jon at PG and Elliot at SG, like this year. POSSIBLY Zoubek beating out Mason for C early on, but we're probably in trouble if Mason isn't good enough to take the role early in the season. This roster will certainly present some unique issues and opportunities for K.

Speaking of... you think K would ever consider trying a zone press with this strange roster? I know that sounds blasphemous, not to mention counterintuitive for a team with three guards, but with all of our long and athletic forwards it could be effective (and those Walker/Mercer UK teams in the 90s were always so fun to watch...). Mason or Lance could be very annoying at the top of the press, and we'd have countless big/active bodies to sub in (not to mention two superb on-ball defenders in Elliot and Nolan). My main concern would be potential guard injury/fatigue, even with a two guard lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by durhamjets33 View Post
    Now that the whole John Wall saga is over, I was just curious as to what our starting five/team would look like next year.
    To start the season:

C: Zoubek
    PF: Thomas
    SF: Singler
    SG: Scheyer
    PG: Smith
    Sixth man: Williams

End of the season:

C: Mason Plumlee
    PF: Singler
    SF: Williams
    SG: Scheyer
    PG: Smith
    Sixth man:Thomas
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-19-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    Guards = Scheyer, E-mail
    Forwards = Singler, Mason Plumlee
    Center = Zoubs

Lots of competition for spots though.
    i like that lineup; very big i think mason can play very well at either the 5 or 4 position and compliment singler. smith can replace either guards as the 6 man.

I'm looking for Elliot to bust out this coming season. If he finds a jumpshot this summer he will be unguardable. He is fast, and I read where his vertical was higher than G's. We saw his explosiveness. Now we just need a jumper and better free throw shooting. That is easier to fix than acquiring the explosiveness. I like a starting 5 of Nolan, Scheyer, E-Mail, Singler, and Mason or Lance. One thing is for sure...Nolan, Jon, and Elliot will get plenty of burn on the court. Not bad to have Mason, Miles, Lance, Ryan, and Zoubs battling for inside minutes. We have options this year!!!!!

John Wall who? Best of luck with Kentucky. We will be having our own fun in Durham!

3 Guards

I think there is a good chance we will start our best five players -- and that will be either:

Scheyer
    Williams
    Smith
    Singler
    Plumlee/Plumlee/Thomas/Zoubek (all four have a chance to capture the 5th starting slot)

I know that leaves know guards on the bench, but I think it's our best starting five. We have enough flexibility to do some interesting things with lineups.

I could see a big lineup of:

Williams
    Scheyer
    Singler
    Plumlee (the Mason)
    Zoubek

and even bigger lineup of:

Scheyer
    Singler
    Thomas
    Plumlee
    Plumlee

a small (relatively) lineup of:

Smith
    Williams
    Scheyer
    Thomas
    Singler

But, as always, K will start his best 5 (and usually that means best 5 defensively) and I think it will be the three guards, Singler and Mason.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Smith
    Scheyer
    Singler
    Thomas
    Mason

Elliot comes off the bench as the 6th man and plays starters minutes, Kelly subs for our forwards and sees decent PT, Miles and Zoubek compete for Mason's back up minutes, and anything Olek can provide is gravy.

I know we lost out on Wall, but I am still really excited about next years team. I can't wait to see what coach K will do with such a large lineup. And I will pray for Lance to develop his jumpshot (remember that high school video). I don't care what anyone says, I am very excited about the season.

PS: Watch the NBA draft lottery tonight at 8:30 on ESPN to see if we need to fear G going to Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    I know we lost out on Wall, but I am still really excited about next years team. I can't wait to see what coach K will do with such a large lineup. And I will pray for Lance to develop his jumpshot (remember that high school video). I don't care what anyone says, I am very excited about the season.
    Agreed... I think people are generally underestimating Lance's impact on next year's team. This is the first time in his career he is actually positioned to do what he was brought in here to do... play forward. Not to mention that he will be very seasoned senior, the team's emotional leader, and will have had a relatively healthy offseason to develop his skills. I'd go so far to say that he and Kyle at forward could be the two biggest constants on next year's team, with K trying various schemes at the guard and center spots.

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post

PS: Watch the NBA draft lottery tonight at 8:30 on ESPN to see if we need to fear G going to Charlotte.
    There is NO chance Carolina would draft G - even if they had the last pick in the 2nd round and he fell that far (NO CHANCE OF THAT), they would still pass. That's how proud the Carolina Clan is - just moved camp from Chapel Hill to Charlotte. That's why they will not make a run until changes are made.

I think our starting lineup will be -
    Smith
    Scheyer
    Williams
    Singler
    Thomas/Zoubek
    If we don't start three guards too many teams will just flat out beat us with their athletes. Don't just think about how big UNC is, not to many teams will be that big.

I put this on the 2009-2010 MBB Team thread, but I guess the mods want to have this separate thread too, so hear is my take:

ROSTER:

Scheyer
    Williams
    Smith
    Kelly
    Singler
    Czyz
    Thomas
    Plumlee1
    Plumlee2
    Zoubek

NOTES:

-We have just three guards total and no pure point guard
    - Singler will HAVE to spend significant time at the three. This is not an opinion. This is a reality.
    - We are very deep down low
    - Seth Curry provides a 4th guard for practice. This is INVALUABLE as it will allow us to run a blue and white team with two guards each.

MY PROJECTED LINEUP:

Guard1: Nolan Smith (Elliot Williams)
    Guard2: Jon Scheyer (Elliot Williams/Nolan Smith)
    SF: Kyle Singler (Elliot Williams) (Ryan Kelly)
    PF: Lance Thomas (Singler) (Plumlee1)
    C: Brian Zoubek (Plumlee2)

A few thoughts on this:

1) POINT GUARD: Notice that I did not designate a point guard. This is because we truly do not have one. Coach K has intimated that, though Jon did a great job, he would prefer that Jon not handle the ball at the point if possible. My gues is that the job will be by committee and possibly rest on Nolan (with his ability to run the break) if he cuts down on turnovers and shows that he can handle it this year.

2) STARTING GUARDS: Whether Nolan or E-will starts as the second guard beside Jon will almost certainly be determined over the summer.

3) SINGLER'S ROLE: A very few of you believe that all three guards will start, and that after the first tv timeout Singler will slide over to the SF spot for one of the guards. Though this is feasible, I do not believe it is likely. Singler will see a majority of the game at the SF spot. "BIG" is what we are next year and K has a history of embracing the hand he is dealt. It is far more likely that K simply start Singler at the SF position since he will be spending much of his time there anyways out of neccessity (if you think we are running three guards on the floor for a majority of the minutes, you are sorely mistaken. It just leaves too little room for error with fouls and injuries. Do the Math)

Let me stress again, that there is NO WAY we can simulate even 3 guards vs 2 guards in practice. The best we can do is 2v2.

4) ZOUBEK v PLUMLEE: I started Zoubek here, but there is no way for us to know how well Mason will fit in. Some believe that he will start from the word Go and hold that spot, but this is historically very very unlikely. History has shown us that Big Men take longer to develop and acclimate to the college game than guards, and that freshman at Duke generally do not start from the first day and hold on to that spot unless they are game-changers (as in top10 talents destined to be team stars with jersey-hanging potential). Can Plumlee claim the spot by the first game? Of course. Should we presume that he will? Absolutely not. That being said, I will not be surprised at all to see him starting by Christmas.

ASIDE: I would really like K to start Plumlee from the beginning. I think it is possible that he learned something last year with Elliot Williams (He still learns things from time to time you know? He isn't God). I believe, for the future of this team in March and 2010 it would be most beneficial to throw Plumlee in to the fire and let him cut his teeth. However, if he can't learn our brand of team defense, and refuses to learn how to box out rather than just outjumping everyone for the ball as he did in high school, i say sit him anyways.

5) RYAN KELLY: Whether Kelly comes in for Singler at the three for significant minutes or finds himself sitting next to Czyz is a question that we will just have to wait to be answered. If he is as good a three point shooter as he seems, this will earn him playing time on a team that just lost 2 good 3pt shoters. If not, the third guard (when we are going small) will take over for Singler at the SF position, or Lance will take over for singler to hit that pretty midrange he developed last year. My instinct, however, is that Kelly will be the odd man out of an 8 man rotation. Only time will tell here...

To start the year

PG: Scheyer
    SG: Williams
    PF: Thomas
    C: Zoo

Going into ACC play

PF: Mason Plumlee
    C: Zoo

Going into the tournament

PF: Mason Plumlee
    C: Miles Plumlee

It'll be:

Smith
    Scheyer
    Singler
    Lance
    Plumlee2

Williams playing 25+ minutes as 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    It'll be:

Smith
    Scheyer
    Singler
    Lance
    Plumlee2

Williams playing 25+ minutes as 6th man.
    I concur.

I also think that at the end of close games it will be Smith, Scheyer, Williams, Lance, Singler.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    Obviously a lot to be seen over the summer (how guys develop, who comes ready to play, etc.) but my off-the-cuff guess is something like:

PG: Jon
    SG: Nolan/Email
    SF: Kyle/Kelly/Olek
    PF: Lance/Plumlee
    C: Plumlee/Z

I expect Jon and Nolan to share the PG duties a lot, since both are converted SG's with different skills. I love Email, but we just can't start our entire set of guards. I see moving Kyle to the 3 as a "must" and I'm very hopeful that one of the Super Plumlee Bros. can earn a starting gig, since they both have physical tools that Lance and Z simply lack.

End of game, I'd expect all three guards, Kyle, and whichever big stands out or best fits the situation. I'll be cheering my brains out for these guys, but there are just a ton of holes and zero margin for error. Glad we have K and that the Olympics/book tour will be over.
    Pretty much agree with that.

PG - Nolan (30) Jon (10)

SG - Jon (20) Elliott (20)

SF - Kyle (30) Elliott (10) and Lance for defense occasionally in McClure role

PF - Mason, Lance (again in McClure role), Kelly compete for / share 40 min with Olek in reserve

C - Zoubek (20) Miles (20) with Mason third center, not Kyle, Not Lance except during stall ball

Also a more balanced 5 vs 5 scrimage with one of guards or Kyle teamed with Curry while other 3 play the 1-2-3 on starting team.

Mason or Kelly square off with Lance or Olek
    Miles and Zoubek alternate starter/practice team.

A lineup of 3 guards - Kyle @ PF and someone would get no competition or improvement from Curry-Olek-Kelly-Lance - a Plumlee or Z, or two Plumlees and Curry the lone guard.

I think our new freshmen have quite aways to go before contributing major minutes against ACC caliber opponents from I could see when they played against "high school" all-stars. The good news is, imo we have some very, very good returning players in Scheyer, Singler, Smith and Willaims. I think if Lance and/or the elder Plumlee step up we'll be more than fine.

G - Scheyer
    G - Smith
    F - Singler
    F - Thomas
    C - Zoubek
    Sixth Man - Williams

Few points:

The notion that Coach K starts his best "players" regardless of position has been a popular theory on past threads and based on actual observation, a reality of late. Hence, that's why I'm not designating PG, SG, SF or PF. Since there is no true PG but G's with PG ability I think both Smith and Scheyer will share the ball handling responsibility based on matchups, flow of game, or who simply gets the outlet pass. Due to lack of G depth, I actually believe this will prove Singler's worth and how valuable and very good he could be. I think we have fallen into the "position" trap of Singler being a PF whereas as he is a forward through and through. He has above average ability to handle, shoot and pass the ball and drive to the basket for a forward at the college level and I believe solid enough post skills to balance his skill set. The game should flow through Singler more than ever this year and his versatility will be a tremendous asset and prove him to be one of the top 10 players in the nation. The other F/C spot gets a little trickier. I think we have seen that unless a freshman proves to be undeniably talented, most don't start right away for Coach K. That said, I think out of the gate it will be Thomas and Zoubek at those spots. These last two spots will be the most volitale as far as players starting. Depending on matchups and on the progress of MP1, MP2 and Kelly, I wouldn't be surprised to see them starting at points during the or one or two them consistently at year end. EWill can also be part of this equation but I think his value will be as the 6th man as he will get starter minutes and probably be part of the finishing lineup of games with Scheyer, Smith, Singler and one of the above said big men.